HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

A Look Ahead: 2012 NHL Entry Draft Pt. 4

View Poll Results: Who do YOU want Minnesota Wild to draft at #7?
Jacob Trouba 22 32.35%
Griffin Reinhart 6 8.82%
Teuvo Teräväinen 10 14.71%
Morgan Rielly 20 29.41%
Matthew Dumba 7 10.29%
Radek Faksa 2 2.94%
Olli Määttä 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 07:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Minnesota Wild might look to move up from No. 7 pick

And Hockey's Future (the prospect site, not the boards) gets some mainstream love from Goessling.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
06-14-2012, 08:04 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Go the the bottom of whatever page you're on at look at the bottom left of the page. It should say what "style" of the site you're using. When I'm on my computer, I just have it on the "Default" setting which is HFBoards Liquid. Maybe your's got changed somehow?
yes! No idea how it got changed... the only thing at the bottom was just "Desktop version" or something lol

Now I can finally see stuff

Old
06-14-2012, 08:11 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Minnesota Wild might look to move up from No. 7 pick

And Hockey's Future (the prospect site, not the boards) gets some mainstream love from Goessling.
Interesting take on that interview (which sounds like the one Fel posted earlier in this thread). I came out with the opposite expectation though because of a Fletcher quote about possibly being able to get our #2 or #3 guy when we're picking at 7.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:31 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
i wonder what player(s) we are targeting that we would trade up for. Id guess Murray or Galchenyuk if either were to slip past 3.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:35 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post
i wonder what player(s) we are targeting that we would trade up for. Id guess Murray or Galchenyuk if either were to slip past 3.
I don't see Murray as a "trade up for" guy. If he's available at 7 you snag him, but I would say you have to think a guy is a true game breaker to move up for him, even if you think he's way better than the other guys available. Murray could develop into a real steady top pairing defenseman, but I don't really see the game breaking potential in him.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:37 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

If we move up, it'd have to be for Galchenyuk. Like squidz said, you only move up for game changers, and we're definitely not paying what it'd take for Yakupov. Murray isn't a game changer, Grigorenko has a chance at falling anyway, Forsberg, while really good, isn't a game changer. The only other player we don't really have a chance at with #7 is Galchenyuk, who I believe could be a game changer.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

saying they are willing to trade up is simply broadcasting to everyone else that they are willing to move draft positions, whether its up or down.

Its not really any different than Edmonton revealing they like 5 players.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

So how far then do we have to move up? #3? or #2?

Should be interesting to see what shakes out if we are serious about getting one of the top guys. If we do make a play, then I'll believe that GMCF and Ownership are dead serious on making some huge plays this summer.

The next few weeks could be really interesting. Will be fascinating to see where we are on July 2.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:01 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
So how far then do we have to move up? #3? or #2?

Should be interesting to see what shakes out if we are serious about getting one of the top guys. If we do make a play, then I'll believe that GMCF and Ownership are dead serious on making some huge plays this summer.

The next few weeks could be really interesting. Will be fascinating to see where we are on July 2.

Who "the top guys" are is all opinion.

And who they draft and who they go after in FA should be independent of each other.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
Who "the top guys" are is all opinion.

And who they draft and who they go after in FA should be independent of each other.
Oh absolutely, but if we make a big splash at the draft like we did last year, it could, slightly, very slightly, indicate to potential free agents that we are finally serious about becoming contenders.

And like I said, I might finally start buying that whole thing about actually getting better that the team is trying to sell to everyone.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:07 PM
forthewild

I think that CBJ will pick Galchenyuk, they would be crazy to pass on a center and one who can bring the flashy game to draw attention. I don't think wild will be able to pay the price to get him, or i should say will want to pay the price for a top 2 pick.

we'll see tho, this is shaping up to be one of the best drafts in history in terms of excitment. i can't wait for Friday

Old
06-14-2012, 10:22 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Honestly, some of the talk out there lately has me thinking it's possible that Edmonton could pick Murray. I don't think they will, but I've stopped being 100% convinced they won't. In that crazy scenario, Columbus could trade Nash for the 3rd overall and pick Yakupov and Galchenyuk.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:19 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
Does anybody know if the draft will be on the NBC Sports Network or anything?

Old
06-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
The first round will be on TV for sure.

Other rounds should be on NHL Network.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:50 PM
LemaireisGOD

I heard the press conference, so don't lynch me...

http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/201...altenders.html

I had this article finished a few days ago and then I heard Chuck Fletcher basically say there is no way in heck he will draft a goaltender in the 1st round. Like most people I am thinking a defenseman in the 1st round. So anyways, here is still a look at our goaltending options nonetheless. Enjoy!

Old
06-15-2012, 12:07 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Honestly, some of the talk out there lately has me thinking it's possible that Edmonton could pick Murray. I don't think they will, but I've stopped being 100% convinced they won't. In that crazy scenario, Columbus could trade Nash for the 3rd overall and pick Yakupov and Galchenyuk.
I can't see Columbus picking one Russian, let alone trading assets to pick two. Doesn't matter how North-Americanized they are, if there's one franchise that probably won't pick a Russian, it'd be Columbus.

I still fully believe Yakupov goes first overall, and if the Oilers don't take him, they'll trade down. That still leaves Columbus at #2, and I think they'll take Forsberg or Murray.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:01 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
I can't see Columbus picking one Russian, let alone trading assets to pick two. Doesn't matter how North-Americanized they are, if there's one franchise that probably won't pick a Russian, it'd be Columbus.

I still fully believe Yakupov goes first overall, and if the Oilers don't take him, they'll trade down. That still leaves Columbus at #2, and I think they'll take Forsberg or Murray.
For the umpteenth time:

Galchenyuk is not Russian.

He has never been Russian, he will never be Russian, he is not Russian.

He was born in Wisconsin. His father is from Belarus (which is definitely not part of Russia, and saying so in Minsk is likely to get you murdered). The whole "Russian" story needs to die because there isn't even the tiniest ounce of truth to it. Galchenyuk is as Russian as Jamie Langenbrunner is Canadian or Zack Phillips is American. That is to say, he isn't and acting otherwise is foolish at best.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Dee Oh Cee

ha so true Squidz. Thank you for that.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:04 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
Does anybody know if the draft will be on the NBC Sports Network or anything?
The first round is on TSN and NBCSN (NBC will likely just rebroadcast the TSN feed like last year). I'm not sure if TSN covers rounds 2-7, but NHLN will and they also should have a free feed on NHL.com.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:07 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
For the umpteenth time:

Galchenyuk is not Russian.

He has never been Russian, he will never be Russian, he is not Russian.

He was born in Wisconsin. His father is from Belarus (which is definitely not part of Russia, and saying so in Minsk is likely to get you murdered). The whole "Russian" story needs to die because there isn't even the tiniest ounce of truth to it. Galchenyuk is as Russian as Jamie Langenbrunner is Canadian or Zack Phillips is American. That is to say, he isn't and acting otherwise is foolish at best.
Galchenyuk actually spent time growing up in Russia, and he used to hold dual citizenship...

Old
06-15-2012, 02:24 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
Galchenyuk actually spent time growing up in Russia, and he used to hold dual citizenship...
Zack Phillips actually spent time growing up in the US, and if the US handed citizenship out like Russia does, would likely hold dual citizenship...

The point is it's completely asinine and baseless to refer to Galchenyuk as a Russian. The sole purpose it serves is to generate some bizarro racist hate against him.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:07 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
I think that CBJ will pick Galchenyuk, they would be crazy to pass on a center and one who can bring the flashy game to draw attention. I don't think wild will be able to pay the price to get him, or i should say will want to pay the price for a top 2 pick.

we'll see tho, this is shaping up to be one of the best drafts in history in terms of excitment. i can't wait for Friday
Why does Columbus need another center? They already have Brassard and Johansen. Columbus is either gonna go for either a winger or a d-man.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:00 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Why does Columbus need another center? They already have Brassard and Johansen. Columbus is either gonna go for either a winger or a d-man.
Well they did trade for Carter and move him to center, so I'm going to guess they think they need one.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:14 AM
nickschultzfan

I found this blog on the Oilers 1st overall very well thought out (well at least until he started proposing what the Wild would offer to move up to the #1 spot).

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richa...anda/131/44957

"
Back to Yakupov...Look, if you aren't going to draft Nail, trade down. You can't tell me a team like Anaheim or Minnesota wouldn't offer up at least something of value. According to what I've been hearing over the last few days, the draft is going to go down a little differently than I first thought. Apparently, the Jackets are very high on Filip Forsberg and they'll take him at #2. Montreal wants Alex Galchenyuk at #3. Neither team is interested in trading up.

The Islanders could be interested in trading up, but likely not. If Yakupov goes #1, Forsberg at #2 and Galchenyuk at #3, the Islanders can have any defenseman they want at #4, which is great news for them (a team starving for D). Let's say Murray goes at #4. I'm not sure why the Leafs would want to draft another defenseman, and I don't see why they'd want to move up for Yakupov when what they really need is a big center. So the Leafs will draft at #5, and they'll pick between Mikhail Grigorenko or Radek Faksa. Leafs fans seem to be hoping for Grigorenko, but I think Burke will take Faksa instead.

So if the idea is for the Oilers to take a defenseman, the two teams you're looking at for a legitimate trading-down scenario are the Anaheim Ducks at #6 and the Minnesota Wild at #7. I wouldn't go any deeper than those two teams because, most likely, Murray, Griffin Reinhart and Morgan Rielly will all be gone by pick #7.

If I was the Oilers, I'd draft 1st overall and take Nail Yakupov, because he's clearly the top prospect. You just can't ignore a talent like that.

But if the plan is to get a defenseman, see which out of Anaheim or Minnesota is offering the best deal, and trade down. Get some immediate talent to help the Oilers stop sucking."

He then proposes the 1st overall to the Wild for the 7th, Clutterbuck, and....Brodin(!). Yeah, that's not going to happen. Ever. I am extremely high on Brodin. And I know the Wild is too. But something like the 7th, Clutterbuck, and something for the1st overall would be interesting. I'm sure the Oilers would ask for Scandella though, and we don't have any other bluechip Dmen prospects to offer, which is what the Oilers will ask for.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Offer them Falk + Prosser + 7th overall + Clutterbuck. See if they bite. Prosser is a fast, gritty D-man with a good shot and a real mean streak (and it helps us if we get rid of his contract), give them a solid, young, sized D-man in Falk and arguably the best checking-line forward in NHL, Cal Clutterbuck.

Closed Thread