HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Cutdown" arbitration for Mason Raymond filed

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2012, 06:53 PM
  #76
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
You'd think Gilman had a hand in writing the last CBA the way he knows all the obscure'ish clauses and ways to massage the rules. I wonder if the NHL would like to get ahold of him to help write the new CBA.
Yeah, I find it surprising that this is the first I've heard of "cutdown" arbitration hearings.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:11 PM
  #77
Intoewsables
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post
My Canucks facebook feed had this picture of MayRay (sitting alone on a bench in a suit and tie).


And all I could picture was:
Same.


Had to.

Intoewsables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:15 PM
  #78
AvantiCanada*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,407
vCash: 500
What to do with Raymond?

This is another tough one for MG.

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:31 PM
  #79
fools russian
Registered User
 
fools russian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 879
vCash: 500
If the team wants a scoring, defensively responsible 3rd line, Raymond could be a fit.

fools russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:42 PM
  #80
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fools russian View Post
If the team wants a scoring, defensively responsible 3rd line, Raymond could be a fit.
Yeah, he took a lot of heat last year, but when he first cane back from injury he was pretty good.
He's a 26-YO very speedy PKing career-plus player with offensive upside. At a little over $2M he's good value...you don't wanna just throw those guys away...

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
  #81
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fools russian View Post
If the team wants a scoring, defensively responsible 3rd line, Raymond could be a fit.
Except that he brings down Hansen's game, and Hansen is pretty locked into that 3rd line spot.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:59 PM
  #82
crazyforhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,752
vCash: 500
wonder if this is a way to qualify in a roundabout and still have the option to walk away if deals/trades happen??

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:15 PM
  #83
thecupismine
Registered User
 
thecupismine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,777
vCash: 500
If the Canucks do indeed plan on adding another top 6 forward, that means one of Booth, Raymond, Hansen, or Higgins will be on the fourth line to start the season. Its great to have that kind of depth as it allows you to deal with injury better, but I sure hope it doesn't cost them a chance at getting a high end player to play with Kesler on the second line. They may need to add another center as well, depending on how they feel about Schroeder and what direction they want to take with the third line. They definitely need to sign another defenseman as well. Overall, I don't mind keeping Raymond so long as it doesn't mean that we don't make the other additions that are necessary.

thecupismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:26 PM
  #84
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Yeah, I find it surprising that this is the first I've heard of "cutdown" arbitration hearings.
I honestly don't know why the media is making a big deal about this like it's some unprecedented event; it's simply team elected arbitration which while not used all the time, it's certainly not that rare. Weber, Parise, Lundqvist, Fleury, Kaleta, Harding, and a few others have all been taken to team elected arbitration in the past. Actually making it to the hearing is rare, but teams electing for it in June happens every year. It allows the team to maintain the player's rights without a qualifying offer and it protects them from offer sheets. I expect we'll see another one with Schneider if he's not signed by July 5th as well.

The way some of the media are talking, Gilman unearthed some never before used clause in the CBA, but really it happens every year.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
  #85
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 18,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I honestly don't know why the media is making a big deal about this like it's some unprecedented event; it's simply team elected arbitration which while not used all the time, it's certainly not that rare. Weber, Parise, Lundqvist, Fleury, Kaleta, Harding, and a few others have all been taken to team elected arbitration in the past. Actually making it to the hearing is rare, but teams electing for it in June happens every year. It allows the team to maintain the player's rights without a qualifying offer and it protects them from offer sheets. I expect we'll see another one with Schneider if he's not signed by July 5th as well.

The way some of the media are talking, Gilman unearthed some never before used clause in the CBA, but really it happens every year.
Which of those players you mentioned had their team try to reduce their qualifying offer salary by up to 15%? I don't recall seeing that before.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:35 PM
  #86
TheDiver*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Mason Raymond is a mix of Ken Lo from Mighty Ducks 2 and Don Knotts.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:52 PM
  #87
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,440
vCash: 500
I don't see any room for him, unless AV wants to ice a small offensive 4th line.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
XX - Kesler - Booth
Higgins - XX - Hansen
XX - Lapierre - Kassian

Whether he's a solid player or not, which spot would you REALLY like to see him take, honestly.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:07 PM
  #88
Lindt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
If they can afford to keep him on the team with all the additions and extensions that are required, then fine. But he better not be in the top 6.

Lindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:12 PM
  #89
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Which of those players you mentioned had their team try to reduce their qualifying offer salary by up to 15%? I don't recall seeing that before.
Teams always go in low for arbitration. Nashville took Weber to arbitration and tried to give him a 0% raise over his $4.5 million qualifying offer. 85% is merely the lower limit of what can be awarded, and of course the Canucks are going to try and get that. More likely a deal will be struck between now and then, but in the meantime this keeps his rights and prevents him from just accepting his qualifying offer. Frankly, arguing that Weber was worth $4.5 million is far more of a "cutdown" than offering Raymond $2.21 million.

A corollary of this (and perhaps another small reason why they're doing it) is that it will give the Canucks a 2nd buyout window in July/August. I'm not sure if they're considering buying anyone out, but it doesn't hurt to have a 2nd one after the June buyout period.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:15 PM
  #90
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 18,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Teams always go in low for arbitration. Nashville took Weber to arbitration and tried to give him a 0% raise over his $4.5 million qualifying offer. 85% is merely the lower limit of what can be awarded, and of course the Canucks are going to try and get that. More likely a deal will be struck between now and then, but in the meantime this keeps his rights and prevents him from just accepting his qualifying offer. Frankly, arguing that Weber was worth $4.5 million is far more of a "cutdown" than offering Raymond $2.21 million.

A corollary of this (and perhaps another small reason why they're doing it) is that it will give the Canucks a 2nd buyout window in July/August. I'm not sure if they're considering buying anyone out, but it doesn't hurt to have a 2nd one after the June buyout period.
I didn't realize that, thanks for the explanation.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:18 PM
  #91
jdgrozda
Registered User
 
jdgrozda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
oh Mayray...


jdgrozda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:12 PM
  #92
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgrozda View Post
oh Mayray...

Caption this photo!

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:27 PM
  #93
gsharpe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I don't see any room for him, unless AV wants to ice a small offensive 4th line.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
XX - Kesler - Booth
Higgins - XX - Hansen
XX - Lapierre - Kassian

Whether he's a solid player or not, which spot would you REALLY like to see him take, honestly.
Not even kidding 4th line left wing. Though I do not want Raymond to get in the way of that 2nd line winger we need, or even a third line center, he is a solid player that can move up the line up in case of injury.

I think he can really embarass a few crappy 3rd pairing defenseman.

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:37 PM
  #94
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,531
vCash: 500
The main board is hilarious. The moment we take Raymond to abitration, the Canucks are an evil corporation and Raymond is underrated.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:26 PM
  #95
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
The main board is hilarious. The moment we take Raymond to abitration, the Canucks are an evil corporation and Raymond is underrated.
Good please trade us for him!

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:36 PM
  #96
Orca Smash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,733
vCash: 500
Apparently on global tonight they brought up the arbitration but somewhat skimmed over it and said mason wants to go to winnipeg.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:21 AM
  #97
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
If Gillis is willing to embarrass a long-standing Canuck like this over a piddly $400k, I can only imagine what he would be willing to do if Luongo ixnays a good trade proposal with, say, Columbus.
Yes.... It's to embarrass him... And it could be 400k or more, which is substantial.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:35 AM
  #98
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,291
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiver View Post
Mason Raymond is a mix of Ken Lo from Mighty Ducks 2 and Don Knotts.
Wasn't Ken Lo the guy who couldn't stop?

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:15 AM
  #99
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Teams always go in low for arbitration. Nashville took Weber to arbitration and tried to give him a 0% raise over his $4.5 million qualifying offer. 85% is merely the lower limit of what can be awarded, and of course the Canucks are going to try and get that. More likely a deal will be struck between now and then, but in the meantime this keeps his rights and prevents him from just accepting his qualifying offer. Frankly, arguing that Weber was worth $4.5 million is far more of a "cutdown" than offering Raymond $2.21 million.

A corollary of this (and perhaps another small reason why they're doing it) is that it will give the Canucks a 2nd buyout window in July/August. I'm not sure if they're considering buying anyone out, but it doesn't hurt to have a 2nd one after the June buyout period.
You're wrong. Decreasing salary is noteworthy. It's not the same as low balling, because in those other cases, the salary is growing.

Though Weber's lowball is still funny lololz.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I don't see any room for him, unless AV wants to ice a small offensive 4th line.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
XX - Kesler - Booth
Higgins - XX - Hansen
XX - Lapierre - Kassian

Whether he's a solid player or not, which spot would you REALLY like to see him take, honestly.
There is room for him. those spots marked XX. Probably the second one.

Everybody needs to realize until until we have better players to fill those XX spots, we can't get rid of the players currently filling those XX spots. Responsible GMs will have a plan B in place before pursuing plan A.


Last edited by Wisp: 06-14-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:33 AM
  #100
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 11,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fools russian View Post
If the team wants a scoring, defensively responsible 3rd line, Raymond could be a fit.
Agreed. The only issue is who you put him with. He's still a good possession player, and MG likes those types. And I don't agree that Hansen's game was 'worsened' just by virtue of Raymond being there. Playing together with an offensive talent in Hodgson probably was the reason - it caused Hansen to focus more on scoring rather than pure hitting and grinding, and given his career high in points, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It opened his eyes to another side of himself and what he could do.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.