HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Cutdown" arbitration for Mason Raymond filed

Old
06-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
You'd think Gilman had a hand in writing the last CBA the way he knows all the obscure'ish clauses and ways to massage the rules. I wonder if the NHL would like to get ahold of him to help write the new CBA.
Yeah, I find it surprising that this is the first I've heard of "cutdown" arbitration hearings.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Intoewsables

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post
My Canucks facebook feed had this picture of MayRay (sitting alone on a bench in a suit and tie).

And all I could picture was:
Same.

Had to.

Intoewsables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:15 PM
AvantiCanada*

What to do with Raymond?

This is another tough one for MG.

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:31 PM
fools russian

If the team wants a scoring, defensively responsible 3rd line, Raymond could be a fit.

fools russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:42 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fools russian View Post
If the team wants a scoring, defensively responsible 3rd line, Raymond could be a fit.
Yeah, he took a lot of heat last year, but when he first cane back from injury he was pretty good.
He's a 26-YO very speedy PKing career-plus player with offensive upside. At a little over $2M he's good value...you don't wanna just throw those guys away...

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
m9

Quote:
Except that he brings down Hansen's game, and Hansen is pretty locked into that 3rd line spot.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:59 PM
crazyforhockey

wonder if this is a way to qualify in a roundabout and still have the option to walk away if deals/trades happen??

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:15 PM
thecupismine

If the Canucks do indeed plan on adding another top 6 forward, that means one of Booth, Raymond, Hansen, or Higgins will be on the fourth line to start the season. Its great to have that kind of depth as it allows you to deal with injury better, but I sure hope it doesn't cost them a chance at getting a high end player to play with Kesler on the second line. They may need to add another center as well, depending on how they feel about Schroeder and what direction they want to take with the third line. They definitely need to sign another defenseman as well. Overall, I don't mind keeping Raymond so long as it doesn't mean that we don't make the other additions that are necessary.

thecupismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:26 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Yeah, I find it surprising that this is the first I've heard of "cutdown" arbitration hearings.
I honestly don't know why the media is making a big deal about this like it's some unprecedented event; it's simply team elected arbitration which while not used all the time, it's certainly not that rare. Weber, Parise, Lundqvist, Fleury, Kaleta, Harding, and a few others have all been taken to team elected arbitration in the past. Actually making it to the hearing is rare, but teams electing for it in June happens every year. It allows the team to maintain the player's rights without a qualifying offer and it protects them from offer sheets. I expect we'll see another one with Schneider if he's not signed by July 5th as well.

The way some of the media are talking, Gilman unearthed some never before used clause in the CBA, but really it happens every year.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I honestly don't know why the media is making a big deal about this like it's some unprecedented event; it's simply team elected arbitration which while not used all the time, it's certainly not that rare. Weber, Parise, Lundqvist, Fleury, Kaleta, Harding, and a few others have all been taken to team elected arbitration in the past. Actually making it to the hearing is rare, but teams electing for it in June happens every year. It allows the team to maintain the player's rights without a qualifying offer and it protects them from offer sheets. I expect we'll see another one with Schneider if he's not signed by July 5th as well.

The way some of the media are talking, Gilman unearthed some never before used clause in the CBA, but really it happens every year.
Which of those players you mentioned had their team try to reduce their qualifying offer salary by up to 15%? I don't recall seeing that before.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:35 PM
TheDiver*

Mason Raymond is a mix of Ken Lo from Mighty Ducks 2 and Don Knotts.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Shareefruck

I don't see any room for him, unless AV wants to ice a small offensive 4th line.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
XX - Kesler - Booth
Higgins - XX - Hansen
XX - Lapierre - Kassian

Whether he's a solid player or not, which spot would you REALLY like to see him take, honestly.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Lindt

If they can afford to keep him on the team with all the additions and extensions that are required, then fine. But he better not be in the top 6.

Lindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:12 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Which of those players you mentioned had their team try to reduce their qualifying offer salary by up to 15%? I don't recall seeing that before.
Teams always go in low for arbitration. Nashville took Weber to arbitration and tried to give him a 0% raise over his $4.5 million qualifying offer. 85% is merely the lower limit of what can be awarded, and of course the Canucks are going to try and get that. More likely a deal will be struck between now and then, but in the meantime this keeps his rights and prevents him from just accepting his qualifying offer. Frankly, arguing that Weber was worth $4.5 million is far more of a "cutdown" than offering Raymond $2.21 million.

A corollary of this (and perhaps another small reason why they're doing it) is that it will give the Canucks a 2nd buyout window in July/August. I'm not sure if they're considering buying anyone out, but it doesn't hurt to have a 2nd one after the June buyout period.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Teams always go in low for arbitration. Nashville took Weber to arbitration and tried to give him a 0% raise over his $4.5 million qualifying offer. 85% is merely the lower limit of what can be awarded, and of course the Canucks are going to try and get that. More likely a deal will be struck between now and then, but in the meantime this keeps his rights and prevents him from just accepting his qualifying offer. Frankly, arguing that Weber was worth $4.5 million is far more of a "cutdown" than offering Raymond $2.21 million.

A corollary of this (and perhaps another small reason why they're doing it) is that it will give the Canucks a 2nd buyout window in July/August. I'm not sure if they're considering buying anyone out, but it doesn't hurt to have a 2nd one after the June buyout period.
I didn't realize that, thanks for the explanation.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:18 PM
jdgrozda

oh Mayray...

jdgrozda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:12 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgrozda View Post
oh Mayray...

Caption this photo!

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:27 PM
gsharpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I don't see any room for him, unless AV wants to ice a small offensive 4th line.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
XX - Kesler - Booth
Higgins - XX - Hansen
XX - Lapierre - Kassian

Whether he's a solid player or not, which spot would you REALLY like to see him take, honestly.
Not even kidding 4th line left wing. Though I do not want Raymond to get in the way of that 2nd line winger we need, or even a third line center, he is a solid player that can move up the line up in case of injury.

I think he can really embarass a few crappy 3rd pairing defenseman.

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

The main board is hilarious. The moment we take Raymond to abitration, the Canucks are an evil corporation and Raymond is underrated.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
The main board is hilarious. The moment we take Raymond to abitration, the Canucks are an evil corporation and Raymond is underrated.
Good please trade us for him!

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Orca Smash

Apparently on global tonight they brought up the arbitration but somewhat skimmed over it and said mason wants to go to winnipeg.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:21 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
If Gillis is willing to embarrass a long-standing Canuck like this over a piddly $400k, I can only imagine what he would be willing to do if Luongo ixnays a good trade proposal with, say, Columbus.
Yes.... It's to embarrass him... And it could be 400k or more, which is substantial.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:35 AM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiver View Post
Mason Raymond is a mix of Ken Lo from Mighty Ducks 2 and Don Knotts.
Wasn't Ken Lo the guy who couldn't stop?

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:15 AM
Wisp

Quote:

You're wrong. Decreasing salary is noteworthy. It's not the same as low balling, because in those other cases, the salary is growing.

Though Weber's lowball is still funny lololz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
XX - Kesler - Booth
Higgins - XX - Hansen
XX - Lapierre - Kassian

There is room for him. those spots marked XX. Probably the second one.

Everybody needs to realize until until we have better players to fill those XX spots, we can't get rid of the players currently filling those XX spots. Responsible GMs will have a plan B in place before pursuing plan A.

Last edited by Wisp: 06-14-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:33 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Agreed. The only issue is who you put him with. He's still a good possession player, and MG likes those types. And I don't agree that Hansen's game was 'worsened' just by virtue of Raymond being there. Playing together with an offensive talent in Hodgson probably was the reason - it caused Hansen to focus more on scoring rather than pure hitting and grinding, and given his career high in points, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It opened his eyes to another side of himself and what he could do.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote