HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part 5: FA Days of...Waiting on Parise/Suter

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Afino
The Juice

vCash: 500
Around the NHL Part 5: FA Days of...Waiting on Parise/Suter

Current NHL thread is almost up anyways. Figured we can move discussion over here. We're under 24 hours now.

Still waiting for Justin Schultz to make up his mind before he pisses off ALL 30 teams. (McKenzie just said not to NYR)

And Parise rumoured to be getting 10 years, $75-80m offer from Pittsburgh.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The "Stupid Money" thread. Woooo!

I'm surprised no one has dealt for negotiating rights this year. Odd.

06-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Afino
The Juice

Yeah, "Day of Insanity" can apply to any number of things

Old
06-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Current NHL thread is almost up anyways. Figured we can move discussion over here. We're under 24 hours now.

Still waiting for Justin Schultz to make up his mind before he pisses off ALL 30 teams. (McKenzie just said not to NYR)

I hope he goes to Edmonton and ruins his career. I don't see the big deal about him anyway. Just keep him out of Ottawa on the off chance he could be good.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
I hope he goes to Edmonton and ruins his career. I don't see the big deal about him anyway. Just keep him out of Ottawa on the off chance he could be good.
Right-handed top 4 defenseman who looks like he's going to be very, very good and is only 21 (22 in a week). It's like getting a top 10 draft pick for free right now. What's not to like?

Old
06-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

What time does free agency start tomorrow? I'm normally working for the start of it.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Right-handed top 4 defenseman who looks like he's going to be very, very good and is only 21 (22 in a week). It's like getting a top 10 draft pick for free right now. What's not to like?
That's the only reason I see all the hoop-la about him. Teams are in the mindset that they are getting a free pick and I don't blame them for that. I cannot image how hectic this would be if a player of Yakupov's caliber was available. However if he had signed with the Ducks he would have just been another good prospect and no one would give him another thought. Personally I think Brendan Smith is much, much better than Schultz.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
That's the only reason I see all the hoop-la about him. If he had signed with the Ducks he would have just been another good prospect. Personally I think Brendan Smith is much, much better than Schultz.
I don't follow prospects etc that close. Give me the short version of him and why everyone is going crazy please.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
I don't follow prospects etc that close. Give me the short version of him and why everyone is going crazy please.
Chain just did

Old
06-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
That's the only reason I see all the hoop-la about him. Teams are in the mindset that they are getting a free pick and I don't blame them for that. I cannot image how hectic this would be if a player of Yakupov's caliber was available. However if he had signed with the Ducks he would have just been another good prospect and no one would give him another thought. Personally I think Brendan Smith is much, much better than Schultz.
He wants to play too -- the games played bonuses are easiest to reach, so he's going to go to a team that can guarantee playing time in the NHL. That to me screams Edmonton who desperately need a PP puck mover and some offense off the back end and can basically plug him right in right now. There are others of course, but that could be a great fit for both.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Chain just did
Ok I guess a better question is why is someone who is that age and that skill set available with out being drafted.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Ok I guess a better question is why is someone who is that age and that skill set available with out being drafted.
he was a 2nd round pick in 08 for Anaheim, developed really well at Wisconsin, never signed a contract with Ducks, now UFA

Old
06-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
He was drafted by Anaheim (2nd round, 43rd overall in '08). There are some draft pick loopholes for guys who don't play in Europe or CHL, he's found one and slipped through.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
That's kind of the thing, I'm not sure and I don't get it either. I saw Wisconsin play only twice this year (both on TV) and he was solid. Moved the puck well, skates well. Overall he does look like a good player. But to the extent some are trying to get this guy is confusing to me. To expect him to be in the top 4 right away, eventually a first pairing guy, or even as Chain mentioned a top 10 talent? I just don't see it. A team like the Oilers signing him and throwing him into the fray with such high expectations are going to be disappointing. Is he worth at least taking a shot to sign? Yeah sure. Is he worth giving into the demands of playing time right away and making your team that much better. Again the answer to me is no.

The hype and expectations for the guy don't match his skill level IMO. Chain I get what you are saying and it makes sense from Schultz perspective, but are you sure he can handle that kind of duty right now? I couldn't imagine the kind of backlash that would ensue if he plays poorly and at some point gets sent down to the AHL, even on a team with such a weak defense like Edmonton.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:

How can stuff like this leak and not count as tampering

Can't stand the Penguins, I'd rather Parise go anywhere else then the most babied and coddled team (by the league).

Old
06-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
That's kind of the thing, I'm not sure and I don't get it either. I saw Wisconsin play only twice this year (both on TV) and he was solid. Moved the puck well, skates well. Overall he does look like a good player. But to the extent some are trying to get this guy is confusing to me. To expect him to be in the top 4 right away, eventually a first pairing guy, or even as Chain mentioned a top 10 talent? I just don't see it. A team like the Oilers signing him and throwing him into the fray with such high expectations are going to be disappointing. Is he worth at least taking a shot to sign? Yeah sure. Is he worth giving into the demands of playing time right away and making your team that much better. Again the answer to me is no.

The hype and expectations for the guy don't match his skill level IMO. Chain I get what you are saying and it makes sense from Schultz perspective, but are you sure he can handle that kind of duty right now? I couldn't imagine the kind of backlash that would ensue if he plays poorly and at some point gets sent down to the AHL, even on a team with such a weak defense like Edmonton.
I think he's going to have his rookie problems but the talent is there, it's only going to take seasoning for him to fulfill on his talent. Edmonton isn't looking for a guy to make them a playoff contender, they're looking for young defensmen to grow with their young forwards. He looks like a great fit there to me.

And I doubt he comes to Buffalo, but they spent half the season force-feeding minutes to MAG and Schultz is a better player right now than MAG IMO.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:02 PM
captaincrunch89

So only OTT, MIN, EDM, and the mystery team remain in now. This is one of the most bizarre free agents situations I can remember honestly, him calling teams one by one to tell them they are out.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

sign everybody

Old
06-30-2012, 02:05 PM
ohheyimmark

It's like that episode of Mad Men this season where the other agencies were getting calls resulting in SCDP getting Jaguar.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:07 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
This is so stupid, I already dislike Schultz before ever seeing him play.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
This is so stupid, I already dislike Schultz before ever seeing him play.
i dont blame the kid, he has every right to go this route...nobody is forcing the media or fans to hang on every tweet/report

Old
06-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
How can stuff like this leak and not count as tampering

Can't stand the Penguins, I'd rather Parise go anywhere else then the most babied and coddled team (by the league).
Because it isn't coming from media and talking heads. Pittsburgh isn't stupid enough to make a public announcement of what their offer will be.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:37 PM
JPurp26

I wonder if tsn gives him a tv special tonight to announce his decision

Old
06-30-2012, 02:38 PM
JPurp26

I love Parise and he is one of my favorite non-Sabres but I don't like NJ so I hope he doesn't sign in Pittsburgh or another team I don't like

Old
06-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Afino
The Juice

Schultz is an Oiler, per official team tweet.

Closed Thread