HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York Islanders 2012 draft preview

Old
06-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
I don't believe Garth will draft a player that is not fiery or involved. He's big on character and hockey IQ. I just can't see him taking Grigorenko with the question marks around his compete level (and the whole KHL thing). I think Garth would rather 100% of a B+ talent than 50% of an A talent.
You're probably right. I was making the point that NYI is a better fit for Grigorenko, not necessarily the other way 'round. Grigorenko, I think, would also fit in well in Anaheim or Minnesota.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:06 AM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post

Anyone know if Forsberg could go rite to the AHL because hes being drafted out of Europe? I know Most European usually go back to Europe, but IMO it would be good for him to play the NA style and play in the top 6, same for Sundstrom....
If I'm not mistaken Forsberg is still under contract with his team in Sweden. He most likely won't be coming over for at least a season

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:42 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
I don't believe Garth will draft a player that is not fiery or involved. He's big on character and hockey IQ. I just can't see him taking Grigorenko with the question marks around his compete level (and the whole KHL thing). I think Garth would rather 100% of a B+ talent than 50% of an A talent.
I genreally agree, but then again the Islanders have come so far in their rebuilding the prospect pool that he can actually afford to take a few chances now, even with high picks. If Grigorenko is available at 4, and has done well in his interviews and his visit to LIdoes really Garth want to miss out on that potential upside??

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:05 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
The writers haven't gotten past Kevin Poulin's draft position yet, I see.

I'd take him over some of those projects with 2nd line upside at best, even 3rd in Lee's case.
Yeah, any Ispander's prospect top ten list without Poulin, isn't worth the paper it's written on.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:18 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
I genreally agree, but then again the Islanders have come so far in their rebuilding the prospect pool that he can actually afford to take a few chances now, even with high picks. If Grigorenko is available at 4, and has done well in his interviews and his visit to LIdoes really Garth want to miss out on that potential upside??
I don't see Garth making that kind of gamble on a #4 pick. He's comfortable doing it in the third round or when he's got a few picks (Petrov, Kabanov), and I think he'd gamble on potential upside if a player had good character or hockey IQ (DeHaan, Bailey), but I just can't see him risking the character thing it with a #4 overall.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:24 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
I don't see Garth making that kind of gamble on a #4 pick. He's comfortable doing it in the third round or when he's got a few picks (Petrov, Kabanov), and I think he'd gamble on potential upside if a player had good character or hockey IQ (DeHaan, Bailey), but I just can't see him risking the character thing it with a #4 overall.
You might be right. In addition to the other questions, FWIW I'm pretty sure Garth has never taken a Russian or a QMJHL player earlier than the 3rd round.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:57 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
I agree with this. I can't believe everyone has jumped aboard the "He's a lazy Russian" bandwagon. How many prospects with his size and talent have been destroyed by one comment like, "He has no fire" or "he's lazy". I'm sure the scouts and GM's that have seen him LIVE as well as have spoken to him in person, know the absolute truth about Grigorenko. This guy has immense talent, period. The guy hurts his ankle at the WJC (where he played quite well before the injury, obviously wasn't the same after it), so obviously his production might suffer. Then he gets mono before the playoffs. He didn't use either as an excuse, so people think he's dogging it.

I hope Snow has the b@lls to take Grigorenko if he truly feels he is the BPA. I hope he doesn't fall for what other people say, go with what your scouts have told you, and go with what your own eyes tell you.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:35 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I agree with this. I can't believe everyone has jumped aboard the "He's a lazy Russian" bandwagon. How many prospects with his size and talent have been destroyed by one comment like, "He has no fire" or "he's lazy". I'm sure the scouts and GM's that have seen him LIVE as well as have spoken to him in person, know the absolute truth about Grigorenko. This guy has immense talent, period. The guy hurts his ankle at the WJC (where he played quite well before the injury, obviously wasn't the same after it), so obviously his production might suffer. Then he gets mono before the playoffs. He didn't use either as an excuse, so people think he's dogging it.

I hope Snow has the b@lls to take Grigorenko if he truly feels he is the BPA. I hope he doesn't fall for what other people say, go with what your scouts have told you, and go with what your own eyes tell you.
I'm no scout, but I have seen him live. Twice. In the playoffs against Halifax. And he looked pretty uninterested and pedestrian to me. I don't think he's dogging it, I just don't think he turns up the juice when it matters. As opposed to a Nathan MacKinnon, for example, who in the same games was playing like a man (kid) determined to win at all costs and leave everything out there. You noticed MacKinnon almost constantly whereas Grigorenko would disappear into the background.

I think there's enough of a question and combined with the whole KHL thing, that Garth just won't risk a #4 on him.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:21 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm no scout, but I have seen him live. Twice. In the playoffs against Halifax. And he looked pretty uninterested and pedestrian to me. I don't think he's dogging it, I just don't think he turns up the juice when it matters. As opposed to a Nathan MacKinnon, for example, who in the same games was playing like a man (kid) determined to win at all costs and leave everything out there. You noticed MacKinnon almost constantly whereas Grigorenko would disappear into the background.

I think there's enough of a question and combined with the whole KHL thing, that Garth just won't risk a #4 on him.
You do know he suffered an ankle injury and mono right? I mean that may not paint the whole picture but it is something to consider. In addition, some claim that the game he plays gives you the impression that he is playing soft, unmotivated, and without emotion. Again, this is just what has been thrown out there, I'm not a Grigorenko fan myself.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:32 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
You do know he suffered an ankle injury and mono right? I mean that may not paint the whole picture but it is something to consider. In addition, some claim that the game he plays gives you the impression that he is playing soft, unmotivated, and without emotion. Again, this is just what has been thrown out there, I'm not a Grigorenko fan myself.
I agree with this too. I even remember people saying Lemieux didn't seem to be trying hard. Some guys just make the game look effortless, so they don't seem to be trying hard. Not comparing Grigorenko to Lemieux, but there is no doubting Grigirenko's talent.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:34 PM
scott99

Looks like the Isles are taking Murray, according to about 90% of the mock drafts I've seen.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:36 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Looks like the Isles are taking Murray, according to about 90% of the mock drafts I've seen.
It all depends on Edmonton. If they trade with Columbus, then Murray is for sure going to be an Oiler. If Edmonton decides to draft Yakupov, then there's a very solid chance we get Murray.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:07 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
It all depends on Edmonton. If they trade with Columbus, then Murray is for sure going to be an Oiler. If Edmonton decides to draft Yakupov, then there's a very solid chance we get Murray.
Both Edmonton and Columbus could very well take Murray, more likely Edmonton will of the two, so yes, the first pick may very well decide if we are going to get Murray or not. I do think that the Oilers are interested in Rienhart as well though and could swap with the Maple Leafs and Burke. If they could get Schenn and the 5th, I think they do it. They add a big, defensive defenseman, with upside who could play in sheltered minutes until/if his footspeed improves, then they add another hulking defensman in Reinhart who is in the mold of Braydon Coburn.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:44 PM
dorffxmosh

Maybe its me but I can see Garth trading down for a guy like Morgan Rielly, he loves his wildcards and Rielly has a huge upside... this is my Islanders sleeper pick

dorffxmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:57 PM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
Anders Lee is not a top 10 prospect anymore. He will likely sign else where unless the new cba gets rid of the loophole, allowing him to become a free agent.
People still think Lee is gonna jet out of here?

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
Once he agreed to back to school for another year, which was a surprise to many. He will likely qualify for the loophole after the season. The only hope is the new cba closes this loophole which could happen. However, they may just close it for new players not past players. Anyway this risk drops him out of the top 10. If he gets to free agency he is gone.
It's not a loophole and the new CBA won't be closing it. Fact is, no prospect has to sign with the team that drafts it.

And no team holds the rights to a player for more than 4 years unless that player chooses to let them do so. If a guy is drafted and then does a year of USHL hockey before going to college, then he can choose to be a free agent after his junior year. No team can stop this or do anything about it. But on the other hand, a CHL kid has to be signed within two years of his draft or else he can opt to go back in the draft. His drafting team can't do one darn thing about it.

Taking the college kids still gives teams more time than usual to sign guys, but if the kid doesn't want to sign, he doesn't want to sign.

All the cards are in Lee's hands, one way or the other.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:04 PM
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Since when do Morreale and the others even pay attention to what a team is in need of most.

Two things I can almost assure you of
First is the isles will take a winger. most likely Forsberg

No D-man in this year's draft is NHL ready. especially with Mark Streit being the only potential mentor

btw the second thing almost positive about Habs draft Grigorenko
(99.9% percent sure on both counts)

Old
06-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PredsFan1IslesFan View Post
Since when do Morreale and the others even pay attention to what a team is in need of most.

No D-man in this year's draft is NHL ready. especially with Mark Streit being the only potential mentor

Murray will almost definitely be in the NHL next year.

And I don't see Grigorenko going top 5.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:39 PM
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post

And I don't see Grigorenko going top 5.
really?

amazing talent, heart, character, dedication, and a Partick Roy coached player being passed up by Montreal?

sorry but I just don't see it

Old
06-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
really?

amazing talent, heart, character, dedication, and a Partick Roy coached player being passed up by Montreal?

sorry but I just don't see it
Ranked #12 by Mckenzie, he's rarely wrong.

Also, his heart and dedication seem to be his biggest question mark right now.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:41 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:

1) Murray is without a doubt NHL ready. If anything Murray is the single most NHL ready player in this draft. This is not to say that Nail is not NHL ready but Murray is ahead of him.

2) I would not rule out Grigs going in the top five, however, the Habs have been talking about Galchenyuk more than anyone else. Heck, their media even thinks Galchenyuk is rated the best player in this draft.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:44 PM
stami

Kirill Kabanov

Now I know his history, but he put up some great numbers this year. I feel people are forgetting about a player that at one point was arguably ranked one of the best. Yet, no one really talks about him.

I would like to hear your opinions on his status.

Thanks guys.

stami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stami View Post
Now I know his history, but he put up some great numbers this year. I feel people are forgetting about a player that at one point was arguably ranked one of the best. Yet, no one really talks about him.

I would like to hear your opinions on his status.

Thanks guys.
Check out the rest of this thread. We've talked about him A LOT!

He is likely joinging Bridgeport next season (save for a work stoppage). He needs to create his own career.

This past season was a very positive step in that direction. Whether he ever becomes a scorer or not will have to be seen.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:09 AM
stami

To be honest. I went throughout this thread again, and the only talk about Kabanov was from the first person who posted an article. I just wanted to hear more about what's going on with him.

Thanks for letting me know

stami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stami View Post
To be honest. I went throughout this thread again, and the only talk about Kabanov was from the first person who posted an article. I just wanted to hear more about what's going on with him.

Thanks for letting me know
Ohhh, sorry. My mistake.

Check out this thread:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...151515&page=23

We've chatted a good bit about him, especially when he won the MC.