HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Ackles Memorial B.C. Lions Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2012, 01:13 AM
Lard_Lad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
There wasn't time left so I figured it was a fumble/interception.

But man, All the way to the Calgary one? That's one hell of a long run.

Hey, if he hadn't gotten horsecollared, he could've made it to Calgary.

Pretty sloppy win, not one of Lulay's better games.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Lions offense had an answer to everything. Ticats score - Lions get it right back. I had the distinct feeling this game was never in doubt.

07-07-2012, 01:16 AM
gurfling

Nice win.

The Hamilton punter was Aussie? I don't think it was mentioned at all.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:18 AM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

The running game tonight was beastly. But the defensive coverage was very very poor from the lions side, like super ugly.

oh well a win is a win. East is now 0-5 vs the West this year lol.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:20 AM
zepps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Lions offense had an answer to everything. Ticats score - Lions get it right back. I had the distinct feeling this game was never in doubt.
Yep. The Lions left some points on the field, but they never seemed to be in danger.

It's only Week 2. Their execution is only going to get better.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:33 PM
MikeK

vCash: 10000
So I heard that there were only around 25K in attendance last night? Now that I think about it, the crowd did look rather pathetic last night. I guess HDTV has finally started to cut into the gates. Rising ticket prices will do that though.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:36 PM
metric

It was also the first really nice weekend weather wise. Even with the roof opened I imagine a lot of people wanted to be outside.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:03 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

My first ever Lions game was last night. So glad the roof was open. Unfortunately all the play was on the other side of the field. Still a good time though.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:05 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
It was also the first really nice weekend weather wise. Even with the roof opened I imagine a lot of people wanted to be outside.
Last weekend was just as nice and it was the home opener and the grey cup re-match. Banner raising and a chance for Geroy to brake the record. Nobody knew the roof would be closed and it still only drew 30K. I think saying it was weather related is a bit of a stretch. Ticket prices and HDTV are the major factors.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:22 PM
metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Last weekend was just as nice and it was the home opener and the grey cup re-match. Banner raising and a chance for Geroy to brake the record. Nobody knew the roof would be closed and it still only drew 30K. I think saying it was weather related is a bit of a stretch. Ticket prices and HDTV are the major factors.
Didn't say weather was the main reason. It was a contributing factor which is why I said also.

Ticket prices for sure. But HDTV? Doubtful.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:23 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:

Ticket prices are a factor for sure. I love the Lions, but I just don't find myself willing to pay $50-$60+ to sit anywhere half decent. I'd say the ticket prices are probably 20% too high.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:49 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Didn't say weather was the main reason. It was a contributing factor which is why I said also.

Ticket prices for sure. But HDTV? Doubtful.
Sorry but you are way wrong if you think HDTV doesn't have some of the blame as well. HDTV is now a legitimate alternative to going to games. TSN coverage is stellar and when faced with current prices it's an easy decision for some to watch the game on HD then fork out the price for current tickets. Each year more and more people are getting HDTV's and even more are actually getting HD programming. HDTV has finally become an issue for pro sports. It's not even an opinion it's a fact. TV deals between leagues and networks are larger then ever because the home audience has increased in a huge way.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:50 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Ticket prices are a factor for sure. I love the Lions, but I just don't find myself willing to pay $50-$60+ to sit anywhere half decent. I'd say the ticket prices are probably 20% too high.
I agree with you completely. To sit where I like to sit it costs me and my Fiance close to $200. Sitting anywhere cheaper doesn't offer the same view as watching it at home. TSN has a stellar CFL presentation and when faced with it I have no issues watching at home.

Old
07-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Riggins

I think the availability of HD is a factor. Watch at home on HD or go to the game and probably have some obnoxious loud mouth nearby? Ticket prices are still the major issue. I was strongly considering going to the opener. I saw the ad at 7-11 for a pair of tickets that said it saves you $10 on regular price. Problem is it's $76 for a pair. And that's the cheapest! It's absurd. They should offer upper deck seats for $20-25 and they'd get a much better crowd. I'd be there. I believe a few years back it was around $50 for a pair at 7-11 and they'd throw in free slurpee and Sports Action coupons.

By the way, if you collect Air Miles they have a deal on for Lions tickets. One ticket only costs 165 miles. The cash equivalent on that is way better than getting the Shell gas cards that they previously had available (it was 190 miles for $20 of gas).

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Produc...ctId=prod00306

Old
07-07-2012, 04:06 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Winkle View Post
I think the availability of HD is a factor. Not nearly as much as the ticket prices though. I was strongly considering going to the opener. I saw the ad at 7-11 for a pair of tickets that said it saves you $10 on regular price. Problem is it's $76 for a pair. And that's the cheapest! It's absurd. They should offer upper deck seats for $20-25 and they'd get a much better crowd. I'd be there. I believe a few years back it was around $50 for a pair at 7-11 and they'd throw in free slurpee and Sports Action coupons.

By the way, if you collect Air Miles they have a deal on for Lions tickets. One ticket only costs 165 miles. The cash equivalent on that is way better than getting the Shell gas cards that they previously had available (it was 190 miles for $20 of gas).

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Produc...ctId=prod00306
I hear you, man. The same seats that cost me just under $190 today were just over $100 5 years ago. Ticket prices have slowly gotten to a point where it isn't an easy decision to attend anymore. I don't enjoy sitting in the corner or ends. If I can't sit where I want to then I'd rather watch the game in HD and my 60in... and the upper deck definitely needs to be addressed. No freaking way somebody should be paying the same price in the upper 400's as they do in the lower 200's, which is the case now.

I'm not saying that HDTV is a major factor. I'm saying that HD is a legitimate alternative and with current ticket prices being what they are it's easy for some to stay home and watch the game in HD

Old
07-07-2012, 04:09 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

I remember I was in Calgary a couple years ago and I went to a Stamps game for like $12 a ticket. It's ridiculous how high the prices are for the Lions. That's definitely a major concern.

40-50 dollars for an endzone/corner seat and 90 for an upper level seat? You've got to be kidding me

Old
07-07-2012, 04:16 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
I remember I was in Calgary a couple years ago and I went to a Stamps game for like $12 a ticket. It's ridiculous how high the prices are for the Lions. That's definitely a major concern.

40-50 dollars for an endzone/corner seat and 90 for an upper level seat? You've got to be kidding me
Yeah no doubt... and they wonder why they only drew in 25k last night. I think that is the lowest attendance at BC Place since 2004. That is just sad for the highest ranked team in the league playing in the best stadium in the league. Just sad.

Old
07-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Riggins

I decided to send them an email with the subject heading "why I haven't attended the first two games"... here's what I wrote:

Quote:
Hello,

I'm a BC Lions fan and I thought I should give my reasons for not attending either the season opener or last night's game against the Ticats. The availability of high definition TV does play a factor. If I can watch it on TV and not have some obnoxious loudmouth fan hindering my enjoyment of the game, why not stay home? I realize you can't do much about that but there is something you can do. Ticket prices are the primary reason I have yet to attend a game and will probably only attend one or two this year. I live in Vancouver and have easy access to BC Place via the Canada Line so transportation to and from is no factor at all. The skyrocketing prices are a major hindrance. I saw an ad at 7-11 for tickets and that sparked my interest in the season opener. Then when I looked closer I saw that the $10 in savings from buying at 7-11 only brings that prices down to $76 for a pair. If I remember correctly, a few years back when 7-11 sold tickets they were something like $48 for a pair with a slurpee and Sports Action coupon thrown in. I realize it's a great stadium now and you want to charge for the experience but it's keeping people like myself from attending. Why not have cheap seat options for $20 in the upper deck and try to have the place more than half full? I would be there. The key is to get the people into the stadium in the first place. Then cash in on the beer and concession sales. My purpose here isn't to be a critical grumbler - I thought it would be best to lay out my concerns for your consideration. Thank you.
If you want to voice your concerns as well send an email to customerservice@bclions.com.

Old
07-07-2012, 04:27 PM
MikeK

Quote:
I decided to send them an email with the subject heading "why I haven't attended the first two games"... here's what I wrote:

If you want to voice your concerns as well send an email to customerservice@bclions.com.
Nice one! We can't expect change if we don't speak up.

Old
07-07-2012, 04:47 PM
ziploc

Quote:

Thanks. Just sent my email off. I live within walking distance, and would love to take my kids to a game, but it's way too expensive.

Old
07-07-2012, 04:53 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
Thanks. Just sent my email off. I live within walking distance, and would love to take my kids to a game, but it's way too expensive.
Ziploc, it is comments like yours that really piss me off about the ticket prices. Here you are, a parent wanting to take your children to a lions game, but can't because of ridiculous prices. Not only are you and your family missing out but the Lion's are missing out on a new generation of fan base. It was my Dad taking me when I was younger that got me into the CFL. It sure as heck wasn't watching it on TV that got me hooked. The Lion's are dropping the ball here and they will regret it in 10 years when a generation will be lost because parents couldn't take them when they were younger.

Old
07-07-2012, 05:17 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Ziploc, it is comments like yours that really piss me off about the ticket prices. Here you are, a parent wanting to take your children to a lions game, but can't because of ridiculous prices. Not only are you and your family missing out but the Lion's are missing out on a new generation of fan base. It was my Dad taking me when I was younger that got me into the CFL. It sure as heck wasn't watching it on TV that got me hooked. The Lion's are dropping the ball here and they will regret it in 10 years when a generation will be lost because parents couldn't take them when they were younger.
Precisely the point I made in my email. Going to games with my dad when I was a kid is what got me hooked. It's the live experience that creates life-long fans. I'm not expecting the ticket prices to remain the same, and I get that premium seats can require premium prices, but the upper decks are nearly empty. I'd shell out a little money to get my family there, but it has to be somewhat reasonable.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:34 PM
metric

This is truly the worst CFL game I can remember watching. These teams can't even get a first down by accident.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:35 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
This is truly the worst CFL game I can remember watching. These teams can't even get a first down by accident.
Why did Tillman trade Ray for Jyles??

Old
07-08-2012, 09:44 PM
zepps

Sad game to watch. We knew Edmonton would suck, but the Riders didn't look much better. No excuses for them.

The Lions will destroy them if they play like that.

EDIT: Rod Black trying to sell us on the Riders. Puke.

Closed Thread