HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Bob Ackles Memorial B.C. Lions Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2012, 11:04 PM
CCF23

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Man, we need to figure out our scoring. We came out and ran the ball on them at will to start the game (both Lulay and Harris started out running VERY effectively) and then we switched almost exclusively to passing for no reason for a long, long time. We abandoned the run game that was working the first few series. We also seem to look a lot better moving the ball outside the red zone. I feel like we could try and use Geroy and Bruce a little better. I love the depth we have in our receiving core, but we need to use our stars.

Credit for Lulay clutching up and putting us in position to win the game after back to back picks, but with the way the D played (again) there was no reason that game should've been close. If we're clicking we bury them tonight. We just have not been clicking pretty much at all this season.

Can't complain much with 6-2, but there are definitely still things that need work. This team is still capable of playing so much better (at least on one side of the ball).

Old
08-24-2012, 11:14 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Man, we need to figure out our scoring. We came out and ran the ball on them at will to start the game (both Lulay and Harris started out running VERY effectively) and then we switched almost exclusively to passing for no reason for a long, long time. We abandoned the run game that was working the first few series. We also seem to look a lot better moving the ball outside the red zone. I feel like we could try and use Geroy and Bruce a little better. I love the depth we have in our receiving core, but we need to use our stars.

Credit for Lulay clutching up and putting us in position to win the game after back to back picks, but with the way the D played (again) there was no reason that game should've been close. If we're clicking we bury them tonight. We just have not been clicking pretty much at all this season.

Can't complain much with 6-2, but there are definitely still things that need work. This team is still capable of playing so much better (at least on one side of the ball).
Oh it had nothing to do with the Bomber D playing just as well. And to be fair, the Bombers offense isn't that great so BC didn't really have to do much to stop them.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:16 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Notes:

--Harris is the boss.

--The defense is still monstrous, though they did finally allow a major against.

--Glad the Bombers went full-Bruin stupid.

--Getting really sick of flagfests. Work on discipline!!!

--I'd like to know what the receivers were doing most of the game. And I'm getting sick of that turnstile Archibald. That O-line still isn't doing well enough holding off the rush, and the pocket collapses way too easily and too early. Dammit, give Lulay some time to find a guy open. And receivers? Get bloody open!

--Still, 6-2, #1 in the CFL. Life continues to be good for our boys in orange. GO LIONS!

Old
08-24-2012, 11:20 PM
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
Oh it had nothing to do with the Bomber D playing just as well. And to be fair, the Bombers offense isn't that great so BC didn't really have to do much to stop them.
It's not a one week thing, though, so no, it isn't just the Bomber D playing well. This is a continuing trend now for the Lions. There's far too much talent up front for them to be struggling to score points like they have been this season.

The Lions have only put up 25+ points once since week two. They're very lucky the D is playing so incredibly well, otherwise they could easily be 4-4. They move the ball fairly well, but they just haven't been scoring enough points and it'll bite them if they don't figure it out.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:22 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Old
08-24-2012, 11:24 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
It's not a one week thing, though, so no, it isn't just the Bomber D playing well. This is a continuing trend now for the Lions. There's far too much talent up front for them to be struggling to score points like they have been this season.

The Lions have only put up 25+ points once since week two. They're very lucky the D is playing so incredibly well, otherwise they could easily be 4-4. They move the ball fairly well, but they just haven't been scoring enough points and it'll bite them if they don't figure it out.
But the Bomber D did play well and you know what? Defense wins championships so I don't see any reason to be concerned. Unless you're the Bombers

Try being a Bombers fan and having them win just once in your lifetime. A championship I barely remember. I remember my dad burning the ceiling with a smoke celebrating at my uncle's house in Burnaby. Oh and losing to the Roughriders twice in the grey cup. FML

Old
08-24-2012, 11:51 PM
kanuck87

Quote:

Opposing defenses are starting to figure out Lulay. He doesn't throw the deep ball particularly well, so I think the D's are focusing on the small to medium length passes, the 0-20 yarders and daring Lulay to throw it long.

Old
08-25-2012, 01:18 AM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Opposing defenses are starting to figure out Lulay. He doesn't throw the deep ball particularly well, so I think the D's are focusing on the small to medium length passes, the 0-20 yarders and daring Lulay to throw it long.
Have to call bs on the bolded. It's not that they're figuring out Lulay, they're just getting to him sooner. I don't care who you are, if you've got 1200lbs of linemen in your face barely 2 seconds after the snap, your effectiveness is going to drop. Lately Lulay just hasn't had enough time in the pocket to find the guys going deep (assuming there are actually guys going deep) so he's had to resort to the short pass underneath coverage or just bail out wide and run it himself. Full credit today to the Bombers d corps for taking away the long ball, but it's happened the last four games in a row, at least.

Old
08-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Anodyne

Bombers fire Paul LaPolice!

Old
08-25-2012, 02:06 PM
zepps

There have been rumours that they were going to do it last week, but they won. It seems odd to fire him now. The Bombers played out of their minds last night and just barely lost to the best team in the CFL.

Old
08-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Lard_Lad

Seems odd a year after going to the Grey Cup, but they were 5-13 in their last 18 regular season games going back to the middle of last year.

Old
08-25-2012, 02:23 PM
CCF23

The Bombers lack of a star QB is the main reason he got fired. If they went out and picked up Ray or Burris in the offseason he probably still has a job.

Old
08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

I agree I don't understand why he was fired after last night.

08-25-2012, 02:43 PM
metric

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/V...limimian082512

Quote:
The Minnesota Vikings have until 3 p.m. Monday to trim their roster from 90 to 75 players, but they've already started the process.

The team waived linebacker Solomon Elimimian and halfback Derrick Coleman on Saturday, an NFL source said.
So what are the options for him. Try and find another team or come back to the CFL?

Old
08-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Have to call bs on the bolded. It's not that they're figuring out Lulay, they're just getting to him sooner. I don't care who you are, if you've got 1200lbs of linemen in your face barely 2 seconds after the snap, your effectiveness is going to drop. Lately Lulay just hasn't had enough time in the pocket to find the guys going deep (assuming there are actually guys going deep) so he's had to resort to the short pass underneath coverage or just bail out wide and run it himself. Full credit today to the Bombers d corps for taking away the long ball, but it's happened the last four games in a row, at least.
Good points. I do think Lulay doesn't have a very good deep ball though -- it was bad to start last year, too, but the team seemed to adjust the routes in the second half. I don't think he's looking to Simon enough, either. The offense struggles for patches every year when they don't look for Geroy on slant routes over the middle of the field to relieve some of that linebacker pressure.

Lulay is good, and I was a doubter. I do think, however, that his deep throws tend to be ineffective if he doesn't have a lot of time to set his feet beforehand. He's still early in his career though, so he'll continue to grow.

Last edited by Proto: 08-25-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old
08-25-2012, 03:01 PM
roach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/V...limimian082512

So what are the options for him. Try and find another team or come back to the CFL?
Aw hell yeah.
I'd love to have him back in. We could move Bighill to take over Reddick's spot.

McKenzie - Elimimian - Bighill

AW HELLLL YEAH

Old
08-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
His agent will definitely be looking for another NFL team first, but somebody's going to have to be really unhappy with their linebackers to bring in a guy who got cut by a bad team in Week 3 of the exhibition season.

Old
08-25-2012, 03:48 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

If no other team takes a look at Elimimian, that would be a huge pick up for the Lions. Not that the Lions need that much help.

Old
08-25-2012, 03:51 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Aw hell yeah.
I'd love to have him back in. We could move Bighill to take over Reddick's spot.

AW HELLLL YEAH
Bighill cannot play the nickel. We would have to alter our defensive schemes to accommodate this. What we could do though is move to a 3-4, or rotate our LB's similar to how we rotate our DLine. Either way, getting Elimimian back would make our top defense even better.

08-25-2012, 03:53 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Aw hell yeah.

AW HELLLL YEAH
Too bad for Solomon, but my goodness, that defense is going to be absurd. Forget trying to run through that linebacking corps, and there should be even more picks coming through the opposing QB having to force the issue through the air. Wow.

Old
08-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I do think Lulay doesn't have a very good deep ball though --
Does anyone throw a great deep ball with that ball? It's like trying to throw a barrel.

Old
08-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Does anyone throw a great deep ball with that ball? It's like trying to throw a barrel.
That's a fair point. I don't mean that his throw lacks strength or form, though. I just mean that he's off-target a lot. He underthrows, or takes an extra half second to unload when his target gets open behind a defender. It happened last night on the interception he threw in the endzone during the first half. He's sort of the opposite of Jarius Jackson, who got the ball out of there fast but always overthrew it.

Dave Dickinson had a good deep ball. He didn't have a ton of arm strength, but he could get the ball out quick. Sometimes he'd just lob them high, but he was great at putting the ball in a spot where his receiver could either run into, or, in the case of a jump ball, his receiver had the advantageous position.

That's all I mean. Lulay is much better than I thought he was, but I believe he needs to stretch the field a bit more.

Old
08-25-2012, 04:17 PM
CCF23

The league's best defense adding the guy voted by the players to be the league's hardest hitter.

It would just not be fair.

Old
08-25-2012, 06:56 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
The Bombers lack of a star QB is the main reason he got fired. If they went out and picked up Ray or Burris in the offseason he probably still has a job.
Joe Mack should have been fired this season not LaPo. Mack knew he was going to have some offensive line problems, but nope all rookies. Knew that Buck would get hurt because that's what Buck does. Traded away one of his best D in Odell Willis and didn't draft anything that the Bombers particularly needed. Bombers management is seriously screwed in the head. There are people left right and centre cancelling their season tickets for next year. I'm one of them.

As I said earlier in the year. Go Lions.

Old
08-25-2012, 08:58 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
The pocket is collapsing way too fast, it's true. I thought the Bombers did a good job of that, and a good job of getting reads on the ball. But other teams have been getting into the backfield a little too easy as well. That needs to be shored up.

I really think one of the answers is to work on the running game. I don't know why but it seems they aren't really getting that going like it should. We have some great talent there, and to establish a true running game would stop the D-line from being able to pin its ears back and rush in. I know there hasn't been a ton of running dominance in the CFL this season so far, so Harris is near the league lead, but it sure seems like he could do more and it would help.

Closed Thread