Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Resign jokinen!!!

Old
05-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Flamesarmstrong22

vCash: 500
Resign jokinen!!!

After the signing of cervenka people have sort of written jokinen off, but I have no clue why. If you look at cervenka size and face-off ability, it is easy to see he would be better fit on the wing. Also flames obviously need a #1 C and although jokinen is not a #1 he is the closest thing we have. Flames fans also can't forget how much jokinen loves the flames and will prob take a discount to stay here (ALA Glencross contract) likes for next year would be:
Tanguay,cammy,iginla
Cervenka,jokinen,Glencross
Baertchi,backlund,stempniak(??)

I say if the guy likes the city so much that he takes a discount we should resign him and find away to trade stajan(who I believe has SOME value after his hot finish)
So let's say 2-4 years and 3.5-4.5 mil???

Flamesarmstrong22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:16 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Stop Starting threads for everything you post, do you know how this works???

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:30 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
The flames need a rebuild.

Don't sign Jokinen.

This coming from a Oilers fan who has great respect for the Flames.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post

Don't sign Jokinen.

i kinda have a feeling this is a move of

"either he does great and blah blah blah or we end up sucking and get a top 10 pick"

either way im happy about the risk in this and im very happy were getting younger

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:32 AM
nogger
Can't stop the #dust

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Stop Starting threads for everything you post, do you know how this works???
I'd say he's a pro. He can rock the New Thread like a ******* legend.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:59 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
I don't have any problem resigning the guy, we can always move him at the deadline if the team is sputtering. So long as the cap-hit and term are reasonable, I don't see a good argument not to sign him. At worst he will be the 2nd line guy again. We would also have some options at center:

Squid,
Jokinen,
Cervenka,
Stajan,
Backlund,
Jones,
Horak

not a bad place to start.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:22 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I don't have any problem resigning the guy, we can always move him at the deadline if the team is sputtering. So long as the cap-hit and term are reasonable, I don't see a good argument not to sign him. At worst he will be the 2nd line guy again. We would also have some options at center:

Squid,
Jokinen,
Cervenka,
Stajan,
Backlund,
Jones,
Horak

that my train if thought, Jokinen is the best UFA center available and has performed well for us. It doesn't make sense to just give him to another team. We are clearly not going to be rebuilding so its only logical to keep him.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:10 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

I have no issue with re-signing Olli, but we shouldn't be giving him what the market will demand. No more than 2 years of NMC at 4 million per. If he wants 3 years then no NMC. I'd let him walk if he wants more. It's not that I don't like him, I think him and Glencross were our best forwards this year. I just don't trust him enough to prepare properly without the contract motivation to give him term.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:00 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I have no issue with re-signing Olli, but we shouldn't be giving him what the market will demand. No more than 2 years of NMC at 4 million per. If he wants 3 years then no NMC. I'd let him walk if he wants more. It's not that I don't like him, I think him and Glencross were our best forwards this year. I just don't trust him enough to prepare properly without the contract motivation to give him term.
$$$$ don't bother me as we have the cap space, but definitly no more then 2 years and a list of teams he would like to be traded to.

I'd still rather use Gio/Bouw as trade bait for a player like J.Staal and then push hard for a couple of FA dmen like Wideman and Jackman. We really need a RH shot from the point.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:02 AM
FlamingTelepath

vCash: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post

Don't sign Jokinen.

A rebuild does not mean intentionally putting together a subpar team and hoping for a high draft pick. I think letting Jokinen go now would do only that, make the team worse. Not re-signing Jokinen would be a logical rebuild move if the Flames had a glut of young centermen ready to take his place and icetime, but we all know that's not exactly the case. If Backlund, Horak and Cervenka start earning top6 icetime then Olli can go. But right now the only other top6 center is Cammalleri and he's not even a real center.

FlamingTelepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:23 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
$$$$ don't bother me as we have the cap space, but definitly no more then 2 years and a list of teams he would like to be traded to.

I'd still rather use Gio/Bouw as trade bait for a player like J.Staal and then push hard for a couple of FA dmen like Wideman and Jackman. We really need a RH shot from the point.
If we could move Gio for J.Staal, and we could guarantee signing one of Jackman or Wideman id be all for it.

That seems pretty risky to me though, not to mention if we add Staal our centers become very interesting:

Staal,
Cervenko,
Stajan,
Backlund,
Jones,
Horak.

This assuming we don't sign Jokinen, although if we get Staal I can't see us signing him.

Tanguay-Staal-Iginla
Sven-Cervenko-Squid

Good top 6, we can slot Glenny in there too for sure.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:50 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
If we could move Gio for J.Staal, and we could guarantee signing one of Jackman or Wideman id be all for it.

That seems pretty risky to me though, not to mention if we add Staal our centers become very interesting:

Staal,
Cervenko,
Stajan,
Backlund,
Jones,
Horak.

This assuming we don't sign Jokinen, although if we get Staal I can't see us signing him.

Tanguay-Staal-Iginla
Sven-Cervenko-Squid

Good top 6, we can slot Glenny in there too for sure.
I could argue that we need two strong UFA dmen if we mvoe Gio. Our backend is weak, especially if Brodie doesn't take huge strides going into next season. Hopefully Feaster and Co can bring in some strong support via FA.

If we bring in Staal, find a suitor for Stajan. It's not easy, but he is not useful in a bottom six role.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:19 AM
tfong

Why resign? So our team looks the same as last year almost?

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 11:40 AM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Why resign? So our team looks the same as last year almost?
is 'worse' better than 'the same'? (just asking)

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:20 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
is 'worse' better than 'the same'? (just asking)
Not usually, but how do you know losing Jokinen makes worse? What if it's addition by subtraction? Or worse temporarily makes us better long term.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Zoombie

Definitely resign the Jokster. He likes playing here, he had a pretty good season and isn't going to cost us an ungodly amount. I think it would be foolish to send him packing, especially since we have no viable replacement for him.

Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Ashasx

The only way I re-sign him is if it's a one year deal, or a two year deal for less than $3M.

It's time to move on from career losers. It's stupid to put the same team together each year and expect different results.

Last edited by Ashasx: 05-08-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Triple Deke

As much as Olli's play pleasantly surprised me over the last two seasons, it's time to move on.
It would have been nice for Feaster to move Olli at the trade deadline for some picks or prospects, but Olli's injury prevented a good return.

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Not usually, but how do you know losing Jokinen makes worse? What if it's addition by subtraction? Or worse temporarily makes us better long term.
Oilers fan, you do realize Jokinen is your #2 scorer right? The Flames don't have anyone that can step in and replace Jokinen as Calgary's #1 center. Cervenka is good, but he has done nothing to prove he can be a top 6 NHL center yet.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:48 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
If we bring him back I would like to try him on the wing. He has tried to be a shutdown player but I would prefer to let him really give it his all offensively if we bring him back I would like to see

Tangs - Cammy - Iggy
GlenX- Stajan - Jokinen
Sven - Backlund - Cervenka (high skilled player to play with Sven)
Bouma - Jones - Aliu/Jackman

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:05 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Deke View Post
As much as Olli's play pleasantly surprised me over the last two seasons, it's time to move on.
It would have been nice for Feaster to move Olli at the trade deadline for some picks or prospects, but Olli's injury prevented a good return.
Actually his NTC prevented a good return, as he made it clear he wasn't going anywhere.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:24 PM
SaskFollower
Rookie User

Quote:

Squid,
Jokinen,
Cervenka,
Stajan,
Backlund,
Jones,
Horak

Amen, I agree with re-signing him, but his days as a 1st or 2nd liner are sooo long behind him. If Florida gets Luongo, maybe we can trade him at the deadline for a reunion!?

SaskFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 0
I'd have to agree. Jokinen needs to resign. However if you mean re-sign, then no. We have gotten no where with him, why keep trying? We need to move on.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskFollower View Post
Amen, I agree with re-signing him, but his days as a 1st or 2nd liner are sooo long behind him. If Florida gets Luongo, maybe we can trade him at the deadline for a reunion!?
how the **** are his days as a top 6 forward behind him? do you even watch the game?

The day that the center that finishes 19th in scoring among centermen is not a top 6 forward is the day I have an orgy with Hollywood's 100 most beautiful women

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:39 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

I think that either we have to re-sign him, or we have to sign someone else, otherwise we would be horrendous down the middle.

And as for signing someone else, the options are extremely limited.

There is still the trade avenue available, but we don't have a lot of extraneous assets to throw around. Trading JBo would leave us with an AHL defense. Kipper, maybe, but then we have huge risk between the pipes.

I think we need joker for one more year (and just keep watering the crap out of Reinhart!)

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote