Notices

Martin Gelinas hired as assistant coach

Old
06-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Medium Rare*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I wouldn't say our pp "sucked" it was 13th in the league at 17.7%. But our home pp sucked as it was 14.7%
I wonder how much the PP improved after the Cammalleri deal

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
I wonder how much the PP improved after the Cammalleri deal
It certainly wasn't very good to start the season, I remember that much. I'm honestly surprised that it finished at #13 in the league, so he could have had an effect - although, he only scored 2 PPG / 4 PPA with the Flames.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Mike Jones

From what I have read Gelinas is exactly the type of person and former player the Flames need on the bench and working with the younger players. I know it's early but it looks like a good hire.

And I wouldn't worry about hiring former players. If they can do the job you go for it. In this case Gelinas knows the city, the fans, and the team. H**l - he's lived here while working for the Preds.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
It certainly wasn't very good to start the season, I remember that much. I'm honestly surprised that it finished at #13 in the league, so he could have had an effect - although, he only scored 2 PPG / 4 PPA with the Flames.
From what I remember it wasn't much but we certainly created more chances.

Really think that this has the potential to be a great fit. You could say he's going to join a The Old Boys club, I agree with the notion that he's going to have the advantage of being familiar with the team, city and organization.
His resume has shown that he's been able to produce results at the NHL level, and it's not like he's been somehow getting by with only his name.
Not always will there be clear cut upgrades. Sometimes, you have to go sideways to find another path before you can move up.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
maybe I shall do some research.

and a player doesn't have to put up big points to improve the PP, just having Cammalleri's one timer on the ice opens things up for Iginla.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
I HIGHLY doubt that feaster would allow this.... Consider his comments about players being players.

"Absolutely, positively not. Management will manage. Players play." - Jay Feaster

http://twitter.com/NHLFlames/statuse...62080837996545
He also said he wouldn't do any NTC's. That the organization would be "intellectually honest." And the whole fool me once thing.

Feaster is a lawyer and a VERY media saavy guy. He knows how to give a quote and say the right thing. It is very clear that Iginla has tons of influence on management and coaching decisions. Perhaps rightly so.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

On the hire itself. I really don't know if he's a good coach or not. Neither do any of you as he hasn't coached before. If the head coach is comfortable working with him as seems to be the case, I'm happy with it. You can bring in any number of consultants to help with things like the PP, PK, faceoffs ect. I liked the coaching hire of Hartley and think we need to give him what he thinks he needs to be successful. (Even though I don't think coaching was the issue under Brent)

Old
06-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
He also said he wouldn't do any NTC's. That the organization would be "intellectually honest." And the whole fool me once thing.

Feaster is a lawyer and a VERY media saavy guy. He knows how to give a quote and say the right thing. It is very clear that Iginla has tons of influence on management and coaching decisions. Perhaps rightly so.
he never once said he wouldn't give out any NTCs, don't make things up.

He said he never liked them and wouldn't hand them out like candy. Not once did he never say he would give one

Old
06-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
maybe I shall do some research.

and a player doesn't have to put up big points to improve the PP, just having Cammalleri's one timer on the ice opens things up for Iginla.
update, done the research

Prior to the trade (45 games) the Flames were 25/149 (16.78%)
After the trade (37 games) the Flames were 21/111 (18.92%)

That is a pretty decent improvement with the addition of Cammy (and departure of Bourque). An example of the difference between the 2 is a 16.78% PP would have been good for 17th in the league and a 18.92% PP would have been good for 7th in the league.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:07 PM
mjw22

time will tell hopefully his work ethic will rub off on some guys. These hires do look like "lets make Iggy comfy and surround him his guys " and hope it inspires him to play his ass off from start to finish. If it works great if not golfing again.

mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
he never once said he wouldn't give out any NTCs, don't make things up.

He said he never liked them and wouldn't hand them out like candy. Not once did he never say he would give one
He DID say he wouldn't give out NTC's to players who weren't franchise caliber or didn't trade salary to get one. He broke his own rule with the Tanguay signing. He also said we have way too many of them. In 3 of his 4 re-signing's he's handed them out. So yes, he did do what he said he wouldn't. He may not have outright said he'd never hand one out, but he did say he wouldn't hand them out the same way Sutter did and has done it at an even higher ratio that Sutter.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
mjw22

Quote:
He DID say he wouldn't give out NTC's to players who weren't franchise caliber or didn't trade salary to get one. He broke his own rule with the Tanguay signing. He also said we have way too many of them. In 3 of his 4 re-signing's he's handed them out. So yes, he did do what he said he wouldn't. He may not have outright said he'd never hand one out, but he did say he wouldn't hand them out the same way Sutter did and has done it at an even higher ratio that Sutter.
probably the price you have to pay when you suck and miss the play offs 3 straight and havent done anything when you have made it.

mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
you have proof of this? because you seem to be the only person that knows about him saying that.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
you have proof of this? because you seem to be the only person that knows about him saying that.
Do your own research. I'm tired of searching for things to "prove" common knowledge to you. He said it on a fan 960 interview. Other people can corroborate if they want or you can actually follow the interviews of the team you cheer for. Just like he said Cervenka was brought in to play center, but you have him in a 3rd line wing spot on your "lines." If you pay attention other people don't need to educate you all of the time.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Do your own research. I'm tired of searching for things to "prove" common knowledge to you. He said it on a fan 960 interview. Other people can corroborate if they want or you can actually follow the interviews of the team you cheer for. Just like he said Cervenka was brought in to play center, but you have him in a 3rd line wing spot on your "lines." If you pay attention other people don't need to educate you all of the time.
proving common knowledge to me? you blatantly make crap up all the time to fit your own agenda, which is why no one believes a thing you say.

but for arguments sake say its true and he did say that.

Tanguay was coming off a 69 points season in which he was 25th in league scoring. He easily left money on the table.

Glencross was coming off a 25 goal season. He easily left money on the table.

With Babchuk who knows what his contract demands were, but with the way cash is tossed at UFAs in the first week of July it wouldn't be shocking if he was asking 3-4 million and took less for his NTC.

The only case you have is Babchuk, and with a lack of information on negotiations or offers from other teams, you have no basis to claim he lied about it.

Like I said previously, you regularly make things up to fit your own agenda.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:26 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Regarding Cervenka; I still cannot believe he said that. When I heard that I was blown away. Hopefully the flames have Cervenka scouted to a T, because those are damn lofty expectations.

Those comments are part of the reason why I doubt Jokinen is back. Still in my ideal lineup I have put him on the wing on the 2nd/3rd line.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
proving common knowledge to me? you blatantly make crap up all the time to fit your own agenda, which is why no one believes a thing you say.but for arguments sake say its true and he did say that.

Tanguay was coming off a 69 points season in which he was 25th in league scoring. He easily left money on the table.

Glencross was coming off a 25 goal season. He easily left money on the table.

With Babchuk who knows what his contract demands were, but with the way cash is tossed at UFAs in the first week of July it wouldn't be shocking if he was asking 3-4 million and took less for his NTC.

The only case you have is Babchuk, and with a lack of information on negotiations or offers from other teams, you have no basis to claim he lied about it.

Like I said previously, you regularly make things up to fit your own agenda.
Pffftttt.... You just don't like facts. Especially when they disagree with your skewed opinions. Any of dozens of posters on this board can tell you Feaster said that in an interview with Steinberg on 960. I use advanced stats that you "think" are BS, even though the Flames use the exact same stats to evaluate players and have hired people just to compile them.

I agree with you that Glencross left money on the table and deserved the NTC. He left significant money on the table. IMO in the neighborhood of 4-6 million dollars. I completely disagree that Tanguay left money on the table. I LIKE Tanguay and think he's an excellent fit here. That said, I think it's total BS that he left money on the table. There is no way of proving that, so it's just an opinion. I think Tanguay could have gotten 4-4.5 million on a short term deal, but no way someone gives him that for a 5 year term like we did. Tanguay has played horribly other than with the Flames over the past seven years. I strongly doubt he left any money on the table unless he took less term.

It's also my opinion that Babchuk had no better offers. I think it's why he waited until so late to sign the Flames offer. Again, no proof. But I think there is plenty of circumstantial evidence to support that. Babchuk is a bottom pairing defenseman who needs to be sheltered. If we're handing out NTC's to players like him we'll continue to be hamstrung financially and in player movement.

But by all means, keep the fanboy glasses on and enjoy the ride. The rest of us will evaluate moves by merit. Feaster has done some good things, but he's a spin master and uses the media. If you think otherwise you haven't followed his career.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Regarding Cervenka; I still cannot believe he said that. When I heard that I was blown away. Hopefully the flames have Cervenka scouted to a T, because those are damn lofty expectations.

Those comments are part of the reason why I doubt Jokinen is back. Still in my ideal lineup I have put him on the wing on the 2nd/3rd line.
It may very well end up that way. But I highly doubt it opens the season that way. I think he starts the year between Iginla and Tanguay and they see how it works out.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 50
Quote:
You really need to get over your conspiracy theories, I really think this has nothing to do with Iginla. I would say Conroy and Cloutier had more to do with this decision.
Get over my conspiracy theories? Right.

I'd imagine Iginla had some weight in this decision. I've also said this twice now. I'm not condemning the signing. I just don't want this signing to be based on him being a friend of Iginla/Conroy/Who ever. I want Gelinas to have the position because he EARNED it.

I don't care who the **** the assistant coach is, so long as he does a good job.

I feel like you need to actually read my post instead of picking out random things and arguing about them.

Once again. It may be a good signing because Gelinas earned the position off of merit earned in Nashville. That would make my day. IF the signing was based off of him being friends with who ever, then I don't like the signing. If he isn't the best possible person for the job that we could have acquired, then I am not satisfied with the hiring.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
Get over my conspiracy theories? Right.

I'd imagine Iginla had some weight in this decision. I've also said this twice now. I'm not condemning the signing. I just don't want this signing to be based on him being a friend of Iginla/Conroy/Who ever. I want Gelinas to have the position because he EARNED it.

I don't care who the **** the assistant coach is, so long as he does a good job.

I feel like you need to actually read my post instead of picking out random things and arguing about them.

Once again. It may be a good signing because Gelinas earned the position off of merit earned in Nashville. That would make my day. IF the signing was based off of him being friends with who ever, then I don't like the signing. If he isn't the best possible person for the job that we could have acquired, then I am not satisfied with the hiring.
when 90% of your post is nonsense, why would I focus on the single decent thing you said?

Old
06-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 50
Quote:
when 90% of your post is nonsense, why would I focus on the single decent thing you said?
... Because if something is nonsense, the logical thing to do is to talk about the things that make sense to you?

Clearly that went over your head.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
... Because if something is nonsense, the logical thing to do is to talk about the things that make sense to you?

on message boards it makes sense to refute what you don't agree with

its what makes it a discussion

Old
06-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 72
Quote:
Common knowledge? lol. Most of it has been media spin with no direct quote from Jay Feaster to that effect. He's a lawyer, he will never say anything so direct.

I've heard and read many interviews with Feaster, and I've never heard him say taht he would (or wouldn't) give out a no trade clause one way or the other. He has said something along the lines that the NTC is a negotioating tool that is to be used carefully and in the right situations.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Common knowledge? lol. Most of it has been media spin with no direct quote from Jay Feaster to that effect. He's a lawyer, he will never say anything so direct.

I've heard and read many interviews with Feaster, and I've never heard him say taht he would (or wouldn't) give out a no trade clause one way or the other. He has said something along the lines that the NTC is a negotioating tool that is to be used carefully and in the right situations.
No, he said they were for star players and that the player needs to earn them. He also said they need to give up something to get them. Did Babchuk do either of those things? You can debate whether Tanguay is a star player or gave up cash on his deal. I don't think he did, but I could see having a different opinion there. On Babchuk there is no debate to be had.

Feaster is very direct. He says direct things all the time. Just last week he said directly that if he has to fire Hartley they can help each other pack. He is a media quote machine. He directly attacked the Oilers way of doing things at the start of the season. There are lots of examples of him being extremely direct in what he says. Way more so than Sutter ever was. He understands the importance of having the media eating out of the palm of your hand and knows the best way to get that is to directly give good quotes when it doesn't tip your hand to do it.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:

You'll learn. With medium all of your opinions are nonsense and his are pure gold. Even if you back yours up, while he just attacks your credibility without ever giving something to back up his.

Last edited by Double Dion: 06-14-2012 at 05:23 PM.