06-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
on message boards it makes sense to refute what you don't agree with

its what makes it a discussion

Well at least you know that much. How can you agree/disagree with something that doesn't make sense to you? You clearly don't know the full intent of the message.

Back on topic:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Gelinas can do here. Hopefully his years in Nashville have taught him more about the management aspect of the game.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:58 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I wouldn't say our pp "sucked" it was 13th in the league at 17.7%. But our home pp sucked as it was 14.7%
Wow to be honest I didn't think our powerplay was even in the top 15.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:04 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
When we needed it to produce the most if failed miserably.

From what I can remember they would either score in bunches (2+ PPG a game) or score when we were ahead by a wide margin in the game.

Very few times I can recall where we scored on the PP to get back into a game, or to take a lead. I am not sure why that was, or if it was actually that way but it certainly felt like that to me.

HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
Really didn't seem that way hey?
Every time that statistic came up, I was seriously like... actually?
Their PK was also dynamite this year, our 5-5 was however, amongst the worst
in the league.

The stat that hurts me the most when looking over the Flames statistically; was that out FO% was not only the worst, but was the worst by almost a full %, outside the #1-#2, most teams are separated by .1-.3% between who they are better than and worse than... kind of a telling stat of of how pitiful our faceoffs were this year.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post

From what I can remember they would either score in bunches (2+ PPG a game) or score when we were ahead by a wide margin in the game.

Very few times I can recall where we scored on the PP to get back into a game, or to take a lead. I am not sure why that was, or if it was actually that way but it certainly felt like that to me.
Not just you, sadly.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:18 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Really didn't seem that way hey?
Every time that statistic came up, I was seriously like... actually?
Their PK was also dynamite this year, our 5-5 was however, amongst the worst
in the league.

The stat that hurts me the most when looking over the Flames statistically; was that out FO% was not only the worst, but was the worst by almost a full %, outside the #1-#2, most teams are separated by .1-.3% between who they are better than and worse than... kind of a telling stat of of how pitiful our faceoffs were this year.
IMO that stat and our weak blue line are the MOST important issues that need to be addressed this offseason.

I would love a #1 center, but do not think it is an attainable goal. Bouwmeester for Stastny is about the only idea I can think of.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:23 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Pffftttt.... You just don't like facts. Especially when they disagree with your skewed opinions. Any of dozens of posters on this board can tell you Feaster said that in an interview with Steinberg on 960. I use advanced stats that you "think" are BS, even though the Flames use the exact same stats to evaluate players and have hired people just to compile them.

I agree with you that Glencross left money on the table and deserved the NTC. He left significant money on the table. IMO in the neighborhood of 4-6 million dollars. I completely disagree that Tanguay left money on the table. I LIKE Tanguay and think he's an excellent fit here. That said, I think it's total BS that he left money on the table. There is no way of proving that, so it's just an opinion. I think Tanguay could have gotten 4-4.5 million on a short term deal, but no way someone gives him that for a 5 year term like we did. Tanguay has played horribly other than with the Flames over the past seven years. I strongly doubt he left any money on the table unless he took less term.

It's also my opinion that Babchuk had no better offers. I think it's why he waited until so late to sign the Flames offer. Again, no proof. But I think there is plenty of circumstantial evidence to support that. Babchuk is a bottom pairing defenseman who needs to be sheltered. If we're handing out NTC's to players like him we'll continue to be hamstrung financially and in player movement.

But by all means, keep the fanboy glasses on and enjoy the ride. The rest of us will evaluate moves by merit. Feaster has done some good things, but he's a spin master and uses the media. If you think otherwise you haven't followed his career.
You claim you're full of facts and then you say **** like this. I don't need advanced stats to tell me that there's absolutely no proof that Feaster is (a) a spin master and (b) thinking otherwise means one hasn't followed his career. That's an opinion, as is most posts around here.

Without a direct quote, proper citation, and valid source that Feaster said these things on the Fan, you have about as much fact and merit in your posts as the Eklund rumour generator has in hockey news.

So do your research, otherwise don't attack Medium's credibility....

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:44 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
You'll learn. With medium all of your opinions are nonsense and his are pure gold. Even if you back yours up, while he just attacks your credibility without ever giving something to back up his.
This from the guy that says Iginla is a defensive liability and all facts otherwise are just us being blind fans

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:50 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

We scored 2 ppg 7 times never 3 or more. That accounts for 30% of our pp goals.

When we were battling for a playoff spot From Feb 6th to March 24th
we scored a pp goal or more 12 times in 25 games so about 50% of the time that isn't that bad.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
I like him he is pretty funny (as long as you don't think he is serious)
except he is serious

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:37 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
except he is serious
Oh I know but I still find it funny plus he keeps me on my toes so I have lots of research already done (even if they fall on deaf ears)

Old
06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
TheHudlinator

Can we finally get rid of this Iginla's old boys club

Per tsn:

It was Craig Conroy, the special assistant to general manager Jay Feaster, who recommended his former Flames teammate for the job.

Old
06-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Xelstyle

I'm not too sure what's wrong with close connections giving recommendations? It's not like Gelinas hasn't done anything since he retired.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:57 AM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
I think we all have our concerns with this hiring, but I'm going to wait and give him a shot before I start saying anything. After hearing some the interviews, I'm actually excited to see how this turns out.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:59 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
I'm not too sure what's wrong with close connections giving recommendations? It's not like Gelinas hasn't done anything since he retired.
Exactly, its not like he just got off the couch and called his buddy Conny and said "hey buddy, get me a job." You'd have to think Hartley and Feaster had interviews with Gelly as well, and were impressed enough to hire him. I really like this move.

tmurfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:20 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Exactly, its not like he just got off the couch and called his buddy Conny and said "hey buddy, get me a job." You'd have to think Hartley and Feaster had interviews with Gelly as well, and were impressed enough to hire him. I really like this move.
sounds like all Feaster and Conroy did was make teh recommendation to Hartley.

From Feasters interview on Flames.com it sounds like this was the process:
  • Hartley gave Feaster a list of 10-12 qualities he wanted in an assistant and asked for recommendations
  • Feaster gave Conroy a copy of the list
  • Conroy went to Feaster saying Gelinas had everything but experience
  • Feaster recommended him to Hartley
  • Hartley said yes
  • Feaster called Poile and asked for permission
  • Poile said yes
  • Feaster gave Hartley the number to Gelinas' cell
  • Hartley called Gelinas immediately
  • Hartley called Feaster back within 20 minutes and said they have a meeting at 11
  • Hartley and Gelinas met for 90 minutes
  • When exiting the meeting hartley said "thats my coach"
  • Feaster asked if he wanted to interview more coaches, Hartley stated no.
  • Feaster called Poile and asked if he could offer Gelinas a contract, Poile again said yes
  • They drew up a contract

Old
06-15-2012, 03:40 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:

• Hartley gave Feaster a list of 10-12 qualities he wanted in an assistant and asked for recommendations
  • Hartley said yes
  • Poile said yes
  • Hartley called Feaster back within 20 minutes and said they have a meeting at 11
  • Feaster called Poile and asked if he could offer Gelinas a contract, Poile again said yes

This is obviously incorrect as I dont see Iginla's name brought up once....

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
You claim you're full of facts and then you say **** like this. I don't need advanced stats to tell me that there's absolutely no proof that Feaster is (a) a spin master and (b) thinking otherwise means one hasn't followed his career. That's an opinion, as is most posts around here.

Without a direct quote, proper citation, and valid source that Feaster said these things on the Fan, you have about as much fact and merit in your posts as the Eklund rumour generator has in hockey news.

So do your research, otherwise don't attack Medium's credibility....
Like I said, it's common knowledge that Feaster talked about intellectual honesty multiple times in multiple interviews. It's also common knowledge he talked about NTC's not being handed out like candy and common knowledge that the Flames do use advanced stats systems like PUCKS and DL to evaluate players. All of course are things Medium has accused me of "lying" about. I never "attacked his credibility." I just defended mine. 960 only archives to a certain point, so I can't prove it from those interviews but here are some links.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/...service=mobile

http://thegauntlet.ca/story/16444

I have an email sent to Steinberg on the NTC conversation that Feaster had with him as well.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
This from the guy that says Iginla is a defensive liability and all facts otherwise are just us being blind fans
I stand by that. Iginla is a liability defensively. He's easily our worst defensive forward, though his offense makes up for it.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:08 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
I stand by that. Iginla is a liability defensively. He's easily our worst defensive forward, though his offense makes up for it.
So do you have the statistics to back that claim up?

Old
06-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
So do you have the statistics to back that claim up?
http://flamesnation.ca/2012/4/21/fla...rades-forwards

There are too many advanced stats to name. He played against bottom half competition, was a team worst in corsi per 60, had a brutal scoring chance ratio, was a minus player and several others. Brent had Glencross and Jokinen doing the heavy lifting. Guys like Stajan, Moss, Stempniak, Backlund and Jones were secondary checkers. If Iginla wasn't a liability he would have looked to match up top players with top players.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:58 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
http://flamesnation.ca/2012/4/21/fla...rades-forwards

There are too many advanced stats to name. He played against bottom half competition, was a team worst in corsi per 60, had a brutal scoring chance ratio, was a minus player and several others. Brent had Glencross and Jokinen doing the heavy lifting. Guys like Stajan, Moss, Stempniak, Backlund and Jones were secondary checkers. If Iginla wasn't a liability he would have looked to match up top players with top players.
From the article;
Quote:
Iginla was forced to see some of the tougher ice time thanks to the team's make-up and injury problems and frankly he got his head beat in most nights
So which is it?

I would say the "top line" as a whole struggled defensively as they were not being played in a way that benefited them to the fullest (IMO).

I dont think he is the worst defensive forward on this team by any stretch, he just looked unmotivated in the defensive end for a number of reasons.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:10 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

• Hartley said yes
  • Poile said yes
WRONG! First Feaster offered our first rounder to the preds for Gelinas but only after Iginla held a gun to his head scream "I am better than you".

Old
06-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 0
Quote:
From the article;

So which is it?

I would say the "top line" as a whole struggled defensively as they were not being played in a way that benefited them to the fullest (IMO).

I dont think he is the worst defensive forward on this team by any stretch, he just looked unmotivated in the defensive end for a number of reasons.
Good question, considering the article contradicts the position she has taken in the past.

It's also entirely possible that Iginla is told by the coaching staff to hang around the blue line to wait for an outlet pass. I'm just not sure where in the statistics that shows up.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Good question, considering the article contradicts the position she has taken in the past.

It's also entirely possible that Iginla is told by the coaching staff to hang around the blue line to wait for an outlet pass. I'm just not sure where in the statistics that shows up.
very good point, you can pretty much bet Iginla has been encouraged to cheat to create some offensive opportunities