HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perry and Getzlaf: UFA's in 2013

Old
06-14-2012, 12:27 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

vCash: 500
Why can't you build through the draft and augment with UFA's just like everyone else did?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:28 PM
thecatch22

I want a STAR on the Leafs, DRAFTED by the Leafs and DEVELOPED by the Leafs. Until this happens there is very little hope for the franchise moving forward in the salary cap era.

But yes, although a complete pipe dream signing Perry and Getzlaf would be amazing.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:28 PM
thecatch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Why can't you build through the draft and augment with UFA's just like everyone else did?
Because thus far in Burke's tenure he has augmented the team with terrible players through free agency.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:36 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Theres more than one way to skin a cat. And theres more than one way to build a team. Where would NJ be if they built internally without signing Kovalchuk. Boston without Chara, Hawks without Hossa. This is a little ridiculous to say that to sign big ticket free agents is impatient. Most teams in the league built their core around both internally developed players and free agents. Thats just how it goes. Why would wanting the signing of Perry and Getzaf be a sign of impatience?
Signing free agents isn't a sign of impatience but counting on free agents (who aren't UFA for over another year) to build your team can leave it in a harder situation to deal with.

New Jersey has a lot of shoehorning to do to get their team back together for another run at old glory. LA already has their ducks in a row to get the same group back for the same thing and they still have some great prospects coming up the pipeline. If we look at both teams going forward, I believe LA is better setup to make another long playoff drive than NJ is.

Two different teams and two different builds, but which team do you think has a better shot in the coming year(s)?

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch22 View Post
Because thus far in Burke's tenure he has augmented the team with terrible players through free agency.
He's been shopping at BiWay. He'll head off to Saks 5th Avenue for future shopping trips. I've been telling you this for years.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Good question ask Burke?

Leafs used 2 X 1sts round picks (2nd and 9th overall) & 2 X 2nd round picks (#32 & #54 overall ) to acquire Phil Kessel and JM Liles in hopes of winning now. Teams building through the draft don't trade away the very draft picks required to make the selections.

Why he decided against using those picks to build through the draft like everyone else, but using picks as currency instead, speaks to his level of impatience, unwilling and unable to wait for results from the entry draft to arrive.

That is no different than running out signing UFAs each summer in hopes it improves the team in the present. Crossing ones fingers and hoping Getzlaf and Perry arrive on Leafs door sign/sealed and delivered a year from now to help change the teams fortunes around, is also not an example of building through the entry draft.

06-14-2012, 01:03 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Quote:
He's been shopping at BiWay. He'll head off to Saks 5th Avenue for future shopping trips. I've been telling you this for years.
He's tried shopping st Saks ( Richards , twins ) but he failed at that as well .

hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:05 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
As others have mentioned, there's no guarantee all the pretty toys will be around come July 1st in any given year. There's also no telling whether or not the Leafs will get them even if they do make it to free agency. We just recently had to settle for Tim Connolly while watching Brad Richards sign with a team that made the Eastern Conference finals.

I'm not saying Burke should have gone all out to get Richards as it's just an example, but we all saw what getting these guys to sign here takes and it's not always pretty.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:10 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
He's tried shopping st Saks ( Richards , twins ) but he failed at that as well .
When were the Sedins unrestricted free agents?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:13 PM
ALine

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Signing free agents isn't a sign of impatience but counting on free agents (who aren't UFA for over another year) to build your team can leave it in a harder situation to deal with.

New Jersey has a lot of shoehorning to do to get their team back together for another run at old glory. LA already has their ducks in a row to get the same group back for the same thing and they still have some great prospects coming up the pipeline. If we look at both teams going forward, I believe LA is better setup to make another long playoff drive than NJ is.

Two different teams and two different builds, but which team do you think has a better shot in the coming year(s)?
I don't think NJ is in that dire of straits. Resign Parise, pick up a competent starter if Brodeur retires, and bobs your uncle. And L.A. wouldn't have made it to where they are without FA signings like Mitchell and Scuderi. Free angency is important to any and every team. I agree that L.A is looking like the brighter future.

I don't know if i quite get your angle here. Ofcourse you can't count on these players to sign, or even hit FA, but the situation looks like the leafs could be poised to go big into the FA market that year, as there will be lots of cap space. Why not allow yourself the possibility if the situation is available.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:13 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch22 View Post
I want a STAR on the Leafs, DRAFTED by the Leafs and DEVELOPED by the Leafs. Until this happens there is very little hope for the franchise moving forward in the salary cap era.

But yes, although a complete pipe dream signing Perry and Getzlaf would be amazing.
Have some patience, we're rebuilding and will get one.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:14 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
You should know the story, Ron Wilson got fined for it. I believe everyone around here knew Burke was going to make an attempt at signing them both but alas, they didn't even make it to free agency.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:15 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
You should know the story, Ron Wilson got fined for it. I believe everyone around here knew Burke was going to make an attempt at signing them both but alas, they didn't even make it to free agency.
So basically they were never free agents.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:16 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
, they didn't even make it to free agency.
Thanks.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:17 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Quote:
They were about to be then decided to resign with nucks when they saw Burke stalking them in Sweden .

Last edited by hotpaws: 06-14-2012 at 01:23 PM.
hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:21 PM
ALine

Quote:
As others have mentioned, there's no guarantee all the pretty toys will be around come July 1st in any given year. There's also no telling whether or not the Leafs will get them even if they do make it to free agency. We just recently had to settle for Tim Connolly while watching Brad Richards sign with a team that made the Eastern Conference finals.

I'm not saying Burke should have gone all out to get Richards as it's just an example, but we all saw what getting these guys to sign here takes and it's not always pretty.
Do you know why Richards chose NY over Tor? Connections!
He knew folks the organization and would have been comfortable playing for them. It happens like this all the time. example: Again, with Kovalchuk, signed with Jersey becuase the staff their is one of the best in the league at developing players defensive game, and that why he signed. Its not always about the dollar. (although the front loaded, 12 million, in the first year and 1 million in the last year, type contracts may have helped)
Its not so far-fetched to think that players who have experienced the greatest success with the current GM and coach may feel comfortable here, and actually want to sign here.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:24 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

I think there is a plan and Richards wasn't part of it. I've already said in this thread, I won't count on these guys getting to Free Agency.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:27 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I think there is a plan and Richards wasn't part of it. I've already said in this thread, I won't count on these guys getting to Free Agency.
Burke offered more per season than the Rangers but wouldn't offer a cap circumvention deal.

I'm more upset with star players who don't have the balls to play in Toronto.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:28 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Sedin's were never UFA's but Bourke was prepared if they were. I don't think he was serious about Richards. And many around here agreed with that.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:29 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Do you know why Richards chose NY over Tor? Connections!
He knew folks the organization and would have been comfortable playing for them. It happens like this all the time. example: Again, with Kovalchuk, signed with Jersey becuase the staff their is one of the best in the league at developing players defensive game, and that why he signed. Its not always about the dollar. (although the front loaded, 12 million, in the first year and 1 million in the last year, type contracts may have helped)
Its not so far-fetched to think that players who have experienced the greatest success with the current GM and coach may feel comfortable here, and actually want to sign here.
Exactly why counting on free agents is at best a shot in the dark. You just never know where they'll sign or what they'll want.

Could I get a link on the bolded part? I've never read/heard that before. Thanks in advance.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:31 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Sedin's were never UFA's but Bourke was prepared if they were. I don't think he was serious about Richards. And many around here agreed with that.
So you think Burke just tossed him a bigger offer (dollars/year) for the hell of it?

Old
06-14-2012, 01:31 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Good question ask Burke?

Leafs used 2 X 1sts round picks (2nd and 9th overall) & 2 X 2nd round picks (#32 & #54 overall ) to acquire Phil Kessel and JM Liles in hopes of winning now. Teams building through the draft don't trade away the very draft picks required to make the selections.

Why he decided against using those picks to build through the draft like everyone else, but using picks as currency instead, speaks to his level of impatience, unwilling and unable to wait for results from the entry draft to arrive.

That is no different than running out signing UFAs each summer in hopes it improves the team in the present. Crossing ones fingers and hoping Getzlaf and Perry arrive on Leafs door sign/sealed and delivered a year from now to help change the teams fortunes around, is also not an example of building through the entry draft.
I asked you how you would feel about signing Brad Richards a year ago and you were all for it, as it was a way to acquire elite talent. Why act like it's a criminal offence now?

Old
06-14-2012, 01:32 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Thanks.
Anytime.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:36 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
So you think Burke just tossed him a bigger offer (dollars/year) for the hell of it?
I'd have to look at the offers, but did Bourke offer more $ or more cap hit? And how many total dollars?

Bourke would take Richards on Toronto's terms, but not on Richards terms.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:37 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
So basically they were never free agents.
I never said they were. BTW, can you type out a little more than one sarcastic question at a time? It might help move this along a little.