HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perry and Getzlaf: UFA's in 2013

Old
06-17-2012, 11:38 PM
daveleaf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
Because Leaf fans would throw a rage that he didn't even try offering for him, "maybe he would take it, you have to try" they would say. Now Burke is taking **** from some people for having tried. I find it funny, people are just never happy no matter what he does.
I wasn't critisizing Burke. I was just saying why bother since pretty much everyone in the hockey community knew what it would have taken him to get him signed.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:39 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
What if Brad signed with us for 20 million less?
To leave 20mill on the table? Might have well sent him to the crazy house if he was willing to do that. Who would want to sign for 20million less? lol

Old
06-17-2012, 11:47 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
To leave 20mill on the table? Might have well sent him to the crazy house if he was willing to do that. Who would want to sign for 20million less? lol
Someone who really wanted to play for us.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:47 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
No one has ever accused the NHL players as being too smart.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:52 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLife View Post
I know it is a little early here, but I cannot get my mind off of Perry and Getzlaf being UFA's next summer. I know that they won the cup with Burke as the GM and Carlyle as their coach, so the link to TO is obviously their for these guys. I'm thinking that they would want to sign together, but I honestly don't know.. This would totally turn around the Leafs orginization IMO. Does anyone know anything about this pair to lead you to believe they would sign a particular team come summer of next year?
I don't think you can assume they want to sign somewhere together, or that one or both wouldn't want to finish their careers in California. Having said that, I think the Leafs are as likely a destination as any, unless they have a problem with Carlyle IF they make free agency. I don't buy that the Ducks can't afford to keep them and Ryan. They have basically no bad money locked up in long term contracts and if anything, they may be buyers on the FA market. If they have any idea that either of the two might be testing UFA waters I think they would trade rather than lose the asset but often a club doesn't find out until its too late.

If they were looking to move, I doubt either would consider another club in their division. Everyone likes to win championships but they already have a ring so no urgent need to sign with next years favorite. They can sign for the money, or they can sign to be closer to family.

I would assume worst case for the Ducks is they lose one of them and of the two, you have to think CP has the Ontario connection so might look at Toronto most favorably. Getz's brother plays in the CFL for Saskatchewan and he still might have a western Canadian pull because his family is there. He playd Junior in Calgary so who knows?

I am not sure how much difference the GM of a club makes. They have no ongoing interaction with players, and contracts are usually dealt with by someone else in the organization. BB would have a slight edge I guess, in that he and Carlyle would have personal insights into their former players, but whether they like Carlyle more or less than Boudreau is probably a lot more important. Perry said "change isn't always a bad thing" about the firing "maybe its time for a change...different voice in the dressing room" etc rather than that they let the guy down or any acceptance of responsibility for the firing. It could mean being upbeat for the change or it could mean he wasn't sad to see him go. http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=139038

Getzlaf " felt like we let Randy down a little bit... he put a lot into things and he did a lot of things well..." sounded like he was a lot more contrite but that doesn't necessarily mean anything come UFA time.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=604299

If I had to guess, I would say the Duck's cap situation looks too good to let a star walk for nothing. They can't be outspent unless someone wants to get Brad Richards on their ass. If they don't think Getzlaf is getting back to his old self they will trade him, but I would have to start hearing some of the Bouwmeister/Kovalchuk dialogue before I would believe a UFA jump might happen. They are only 27 this year so still young enough to be core players in a ground up rebuild and this isn't a Nash situation where they are getting burnt out from playing on a perpetually rebuilding club.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:57 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

The situation will get interesting if the players and their agents try to force a teams hand with a contract extension before the new CBA kicks in. I'm sure there will be significant benefits to doing so for the players.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:00 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
Because Leaf fans would throw a rage that he didn't even try offering for him, "maybe he would take it, you have to try" they would say. Now Burke is taking **** from some people for having tried. I find it funny, people are just never happy no matter what he does.
I agree, what's even funnier is that Burke wasn't present yet people are still trying their best to undermine him.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 12:45 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Brian Burke was out getting some exercise.

Old
06-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
yeah we're saved.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

Just to keep things on topic, do people actually think that these 2 players would become UFA and the Ducks would just let them walk for nothing?

If they are not going to be re-signed then you can expect a few big deadline packages to help the Ducks re-build again.

Its like when the Sedins were pending UFA. GMs are not that stupid

The only way I see this happening is if both players are traded by the deadline to go on cup runs & don't re-up by July 1st because they want to test free agengy. But I am sure with what the cost would be to acquire them that they will get inked.

Corey Perry is a 50 goal scorer and a top 5 talent in the NHL IMO. If we were to get this kid WOW!!!!!!!

Calacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:40 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Someone who really wanted to play for us.
Blue. You could argue a donkey into submission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
No one has ever accused the NHL players as being too smart.
I never said that

Old
06-18-2012, 09:52 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
Just to keep things on topic, do people actually think that these 2 players would become UFA and the Ducks would just let them walk for nothing?

If they are not going to be re-signed then you can expect a few big deadline packages to help the Ducks re-build again.

The only way I see this happening is if both players are traded by the deadline to go on cup runs & don't re-up by July 1st because they want to test free agengy. But I am sure with what the cost would be to acquire them that they will get inked.

Corey Perry is a 50 goal scorer and a top 5 talent in the NHL IMO. If we were to get this kid WOW!!!!!!!
I don't think they will ever make it to UFA but I would take one or both any day.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post

Sure they are. Lets remember something, this is the same GM who traded Gardiner and Lupul for Beauchemin,

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote