HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 3: ... If Not Nail Then Who?

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Greene wasn't as strong on his skates as Peckham was back then either despite being bigger across the shoulders.

06-14-2012, 12:55 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
What he meant was in 2008 Stamkos was #1 overall and Luke Schenn was #5.

In hindsight is Schenn and Gardiner enough to get you a Stamkos? Not at all.
But like him you are forgetting that the 5th overall is going to be a player. So it is not trading Gardiner and Schenn for Yakupov.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Mckinnon-Maybe
Jones-No

Yakupov is more electrifying than both.
You can build your franchise around Jones. That kid has the potential to be better then Pronger and Chara.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
You can build your franchise around Jones. That kid has the potential to be better then Pronger and Chara.
are we really going there with a 17YO defence prospect....

Old
06-14-2012, 01:03 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

You never trade multiple Bs for an A level player unless the player doesnt wanna resign..
Yakupov wants to be an oiler, he is what the oilers need so you can throw ten B level players/prospects this way and I say no to all of them..
Nobody on toronto fetches Yakupov.
End of story

Old
06-14-2012, 01:03 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs View Post
I am going to puke if we don't take Yakupov. You don't trade Stamkos for Schenn (5th Overall) and Gardiner. My stomach is sick right now just thinking about it. The Toronto media is just trolling us right now hopefully. Gregor and Spector are retarded for thinking thats a great trade.
Gregor specified that he would like that deal if Galchenyuk was there at 5, which a) he won't be and b) we'd have no way of knowing before we'd have to make the deal. Not his finest moment, imo. Schenn + 5th is a horrible deal. I really hope we don't take that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
But like him you are forgetting that the 5th overall is going to be a player. So it is not trading Gardiner and Schenn for Yakupov.
Schenn is the 5th OA in this situation. If we're assuming 5th(Reinhart?) + Schenn for Yakupov, in 2008 terms that would be similar to 5th(Schenn) + Gardiner for Stamkos.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
are we really going there with a 17YO defence prospect....
Well if we are hyping Yakupov to be better then him then why not. Seth Jones is projected to be the best Dman drafted in recent times. Better then Hedman, Larsson, Alzner, Doughty at the time of their respected draft. I know a lot can change but when comparing 2 undrafted players (Yakupov, Jones), Jones wins.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
You never trade multiple Bs for an A level player unless the player doesnt wanna resign..
Yakupov wants to be an oiler, he is what the oilers need so you can throw ten B level players/prospects this way and I say no to all of them..
End of story
amen... now if only you were MacT

Old
06-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Skm

I know some people say that this year there is less separation at the top of the draft but just go take a look at the last 5 drafts.

The difference between the 1st overall pick and any pick in the 4-8 range is alarming. A good D prospect such as Gardiner does not bring the value nearly close enough.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:13 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Well if we are hyping Yakupov to be better then him then why not. Seth Jones is projected to be the best Dman drafted in recent times. Better then Hedman, Larsson, Alzner, Doughty at the time of their respected draft. I know a lot can change but when comparing 2 undrafted players (Yakupov, Jones), Jones wins.
They say that every year though. They said it about Larsson and Hedman. And to be honest, this could is going to have to be amazing to be a bigger deal than Ekblad, because THAT kid, is going to be good!

Old
06-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
I know some people say that this year there is less separation at the top of the draft but just go take a look at the last 5 drafts.

The difference between the 1st overall pick and any pick in the 4-8 range is alarming. A good D prospect such as Gardiner does not bring the value nearly close enough.
And yet some leafs fans wouldn't even trade Gardiner straight up

Old
06-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Koto

Quote:
I meant your comment about Pronger and Chara.

I'm expecting Yakupov to be a 70 point player, not better than stamkos because his pre-draft year says so.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

After marinating a little, I think I've finally found a way to stomach trading away the pick... And this is how...

There were lots of rumblings last year of Philly trying to acquire Luke Schenn, there are also rumors that JVR is trade bait, so is there a 3-way deal here to be done?

Edmonton trades 1st overall, and a 4th rounder to Toronto for 5th overall, L. Schenn and and a 2nd rounder.

Edmonton then trades Schenn + for JVR, a big, young left winger who can slide in the top six here.

Draft Galchenyuk/Grigerenko 5th.

Trade Gagner, Toronto's 2nd + and try to get another top 10 pick, Carolina at 8 maybe?

Draft Murray or Reinhart.

Hope to wooo Schultz here as a UFA...

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
JVR-Gal/Grigs-Hemsky
Horcoff-Belanger-Jones
Hartikainen-Lander-Paajarvi
Vande Velde-Peckham

Smid-Petry
Whitney-J.Schultz
N.Schultz-Sutton
Potter

Dubnyk/Khabibulin

Last edited by Mowzie: 06-14-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old
06-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
After marinating a little, I think I've finally found a way to stomach trading away the pick... And this is how...

There were lots of rumblings last year of Philly trying to acquire Luke Schenn, there are also rumors that JVR is trade bait, so is there a 3-way deal here to be done?

Edmonton trades 1st overall, and a 4th rounder to Toronto for 5th overall, L. Schenn and and a 2nd rounder.

Edmonton then trades Schenn + for JVR, a big, young left winger who can slide in the top six here.

Draft Galchenyuk/Grigerenko

Hope to wooo Schultz here as a UFA...

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
JVR-Gal/Grigs-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Gagner-Jones
Hartikainen-Horcoff-Eager
Vande Velde-Peckham

Smid-Petry
Whitney-J.Schultz
N.Schultz-Sutton
Potter

Dubnyk/Khabibulin
I like it. Nothing really unfeasable to be honest. Doubt we do that much and still not end up with a defenceman tho.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I like it. Nothing really unfeasable to be honest. Doubt we do that much and still not end up with a defenceman tho.
It's not terrible, if JVR could regain his form from the '11 playoffs he would be a good fit here.

I'm not sure what you add to Schenn to get Philly to bite, they probably see Schenn as we all do.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
End of story
TESTIFY!

Old
06-14-2012, 01:34 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Gregor specified that he would like that deal if Galchenyuk was there at 5, which a) he won't be and b) we'd have no way of knowing before we'd have to make the deal. Not his finest moment, imo. Schenn + 5th is a horrible deal. I really hope we don't take that.

Schenn is the 5th OA in this situation. If we're assuming 5th(Reinhart?) + Schenn for Yakupov, in 2008 terms that would be similar to 5th(Schenn) + Gardiner for Stamkos.
Do the Oilers pick another dman 5th when they got both Gardiner and Schenn?

And is Yakupov Stamkos?

As I said you have to consider it, perhaps Toronto adds a draft pick too but IMO that trade is not so off the wall that it gets dismissed out of hand.

And the million dollar question. Does the acquisition of Gardiner get you Schultz?

Old
06-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Koto

you think JVR+5OA is enough for yakupov?

no thanks

Old
06-14-2012, 01:46 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Do the Oilers pick another dman 5th when they got both Gardiner and Schenn?

And is Yakupov Stamkos?

As I said you have to consider it, perhaps Toronto adds a draft pick too but IMO that trade is not so off the wall that it gets dismissed out of hand.

And the million dollar question. Does the acquisition of Gardiner get you Schultz?
Sorry I don't follow your first question. We wouldn't be getting Schenn + Gardiner + 5th. We'd be getting Schenn + 5th. In 2008 terms that is roughly equivalent to Gardiner + 5th(who turned out to be Schenn). Imo Schenn + 5th should be dismissed out of hand. To me that is a bad return for any 1st overall forward taken in the last decade.

So it doesn't matter if Gardiner would help us sign Schultz(although I think it would) since he isn't in the trade proposals we're hearing.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:52 PM
GMofOilers

Cant believe everyone is even doubting the Oilers taking Yak.

Tambellini has said, it would take a big huge offer not to pick at one, and he wants to keep it a surprise till the very end.

We all know how tight he likes to keep his cards to his chest but when you add 1+1 its always 2........

Old
06-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
you think JVR+5OA is enough for yakupov?

no thanks
As well as the 35th overall pick, yes.

You then still have options. You've got 31 and 35 in the second round.

You can move back up from 5th overall as high as 2nd overall, depending on whats there. Its common knowledge that it's Yakupov, HUGE GAP, Grigerenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Murray, etc etc etc.

If we can leave the draft with a top 5 pick, 2 high 2nd rounders, and a former #2 pick who just happens to fit a need as a big body top 6 offensive player who fits perfectly, age wise, development wise, with where the team is going..

To me, that is enough to give up #1.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:55 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Matt Greene seemed like a nastier player on ice than Peckham.. and took a hell of a lot less stupid penalties.

Mean mean Matt Greene was a gem.
Are you sure you are talking about Matt Greene? All he did here was take stupid penalties, ha ha.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:57 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Cant believe everyone is even doubting the Oilers taking Yak.

Tambellini has said, it would take a big huge offer not to pick at one, and he wants to keep it a surprise till the very end.

We all know how tight he likes to keep his cards to his chest but when you add 1+1 its always 2........
They have also said they want the guy who will be best 10-15 years down the road. Perhaps they think that is Murray or Reinhart or someone else other than Yakupov. Just because Tambo says he's likely picking at 1, that doesn't mean Yakupov is their guy.

Old
dem

I'm sure the leafs won't think this is fair.. but I would consider

Schenn
Franson
5th (Likely take Reinhart)

for 1st
Maybe add a Theo Peckham or something.

Whitney-Schenn
Smid-Petry
Shultz-Franson

Still don't have that beast defenseman we really want.
We'd feel dumb if Yak goes on to score 40 goals a few times.

Old
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:

Closed Thread