HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Gelinas

Old
06-14-2012, 09:56 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

vCash: 500
Thread reminds me of the Taormina and Urbom hype trains. Expectations should be tempered until he's played at least a shift in an NHL game (preseason, scrimmage, whatever)

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:00 AM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

Gelinas reminds me of a slightly worse defensively Nik Kronwall

The Great Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnots13 View Post
Gelinas reminds me of a slightly worse defensively Nik Kronwall

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:22 AM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Thread reminds me of the Taormina and Urbom hype trains. Expectations should be tempered until he's played at least a shift in an NHL game (preseason, scrimmage, whatever)
Well, I'd disagree on Tao as I think it is fair to say Gelinas' physical traits are considerably more encouraging than MT's who was an undrafted nearly 23 year old undersized D-man.

Urbom's hype train certainly is comparable although I'm higher on EG, personally. That said, we don't know what we have fully with either of these two guys.

I do agree, though, that expectations must be tempered. If he's *not* dangled as trade bait, I expect him to be at least another year in the A, where hopefully he continues to improve in his all-around game, since I see his offensive numbers having a bit of a regression based upon his uncharacteristically high shooting percentage this past season. I will hope for him to open some eyes, though, in pre-season and if he gets a cup of coffee next year.

GameSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
That said, I'm not sure any of our top three (four, with Urbom?) prospects has the pedigree of physicality of either of a Suter/Weber, but I've read that Gelinas has improved in that department.
Gelinas does. In the Memorial Cup thread on the prospects board a couple seasons ago, multiple neutral fans commented favourably on his physicality, and one even went so far as compare him to Pronger's nasty streak. I don't know if he's anywhere near as good as Pronger, but seeing a comparison like that made me happy.

Quote:
Very informative post. I'll remain optimistic as some of his positive traits can't be easily taught (size, skating, shot) while positioning certainly *can*. Hopefully he proves very teachable as D-men take longer to round out their pro game anyhow.
Gelinas was always a project pick. When we picked him, he was only a couple years removed from being a converted forward. He had trouble with getting beat to the outside (still does), his frame hadn't filled in (now it has), and he showed potential but not consistency on offence (recently led Albany's defence in scoring).

I'm encouraged by the fact that he improved immensely during the second half of last season in the AHL. Still a long way to go, but I do think he has a good chance of making the show eventually, when before he was a complete wild card.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:28 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Gelinas was as soft as butter when playing in the Q. His coach called him out repeaditly for not being aggressive enough when he had 4 inches and 30 pounds on almost 80% of the entire league. My brother in law, who played with him in Saint John felt bad for Eric whenever Galland ripped him a new one either on the bench or in the locker room for letting a water bug creep up from behind to crash the crease.

He's big, but I never saw him play with that edge to his game and the Pronger thing is just absurd. One thing I'd say that compares to Pronger is his mobility as a big man and that's about it.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:37 AM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
When we picked him, he was only a couple years removed from being a converted forward.
I'd forgotten about that. As long as he's not the next Tyler Eckford

Am I wrong in remembering Eckford as the best defenseman we had in the pipeline at one point?

GameSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Gelinas strikes me as overrated on these boards.

He scored a bunch of goals with an unsustainable shooting percentage last year. Maybe there's been real improvement in his game (notice that he has never a goal scorer in junior), but I'd like to see another year of good performance in the A before declaring him superior to Urbom and some of our other prospects.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Gelinas was as soft as butter when playing in the Q. His coach called him out repeaditly for not being aggressive enough when he had 4 inches and 30 pounds on almost 80% of the entire league. My brother in law, who played with him in Saint John felt bad for Eric whenever Galland ripped him a new one either on the bench or in the locker room for letting a water bug creep up from behind to crash the crease.

He's big, but I never saw him play with that edge to his game and the Pronger thing is just absurd. One thing I'd say that compares to Pronger is his mobility as a big man and that's about it.
During the season, yes. But in the Q playoffs and the Memorial Cup, he stepped up pretty well in the physicality department.

I didn't make the Pronger comment, and I was sceptical of it too, but I figure there must be something to it when multiple neutral posters are commenting on his physicality.

Quote:
I'd forgotten about that. As long as he's not the next Tyler Eckford

Am I wrong in remembering Eckford as the best defenseman we had in the pipeline at one point?
No, he was, and that's pretty sad. Corrente was the other guy, that's why.

Shows how far we've come in the intervening years. What was once our greatest weakness in the pipeline is now unmistakably the greatest strength.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:45 AM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
What? Hard hitter, hell of a shot, and puts up a lot of goals. Obviously that's his highest possible ceiling, and it would be very tough to do that but I see a few similarities in their style. Although Gelinas defense leaves something to be desired.

But I guess it's alright when others call him Chris Pronger...

Old
06-14-2012, 10:45 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

He's lanky and crosschecks the **** out of people, has a big shot and can actually skate for a big man.

Pronger comparison

Does not always go for big hits. Saw one from the AHL last season that was remarked upon.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:49 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

I would have thought the main guys fighting for the 6th spot would be

Urbom
Taormina
Burlon

In that order. I put Urbom first assuming Salvador is gone and they are looking for more of a shutdown guy.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
I would have thought the main guys fighting for the 6th spot would be

Urbom
Taormina
Burlon

In that order. I put Urbom first assuming Salvador is gone and they are looking for more of a shutdown guy.
Our top six is set for next year even with Sal gone...Tallinder, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Fayne, Greene, and Larsson.

Harrold should be brought back as the 7th. He'll compete with Urbom and co. for playing time when there are injuries.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:52 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Our top six is set for next year even with Sal gone...Tallinder, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Fayne, Greene, and Larsson.

Harrold should be brought back as the 7th. He'll compete with Urbom and co. for playing time when there are injuries.
That's the right mindset

Btw that may be the best defense we've had since the lockout

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnots13 View Post
What? Hard hitter, hell of a shot, and puts up a lot of goals. Obviously that's his highest possible ceiling, and it would be very tough to do that but I see a few similarities in their style. Although Gelinas defense leaves something to be desired.

But I guess it's alright when others call him Chris Pronger...
Please read my post again before putting words in my mouth. I said one poster compared one single aspect of his game to Pronger's. I even said I thought that poster was overstating it.

I'd be thrilled if he turned out to be half as good as Pronger.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:11 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
During the season, yes. But in the Q playoffs and the Memorial Cup, he stepped up pretty well in the physicality department.

I didn't make the Pronger comment, and I was sceptical of it too, but I figure there must be something to it when multiple neutral posters are commenting on his physicality.
He did step his game up in the post season but he's a little like Larsson IMO. Big tall kid that hasn't fully grown into his frame just yet, is physical at times but won't go out of his way to make a opposing player feel his wrath.

Maybe it's because he's so big that everyone is expecting those type of players to destroy everything in his path but that's rarely the case. Devotion and heart has no size, just look at little Gio throwing his weight around like he was 6"9 260

Old
06-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Heart should never be measured by the number of hits.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:17 AM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

Quote:
Please read my post again before putting words in my mouth. I said one poster compared one single aspect of his game to Pronger's. I even said I thought that poster was overstating it.

I'd be thrilled if he turned out to be half as good as Pronger.
Hmm? I never said you called him Pronger, but I've seen others who have.... don't be so paranoid...

Old
06-14-2012, 11:19 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Heart should never be measured by the number of hits.
True.

But there's no better way to describe it when a undersized player goes out of his way to look like the biggest giant on the ice.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
True.

But there's no better way to describe it when a undersized player goes out of his way to look like the biggest giant on the ice.
Courage, confidence, toughness.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:27 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Courage, confidence, toughness.
To me, having alot of heart is a combination of all of the above. A-Train is another prime example.

Volchenkov has two of them, wouldn't be surprised , and I'll never take that away from him.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:41 AM
CerebralGenesis

Never super sold on Gelinas either. Hope he can continue playing like season in the coming season though. Would love a triggerman on the PP someday, that plays D.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Mustangs

Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
I watched Gelinas once this season and a few times in the memorial cup. At the memorial cup he paid 2nd fiddle to other dmen on the roster but he played very well. the points were there and he player very well on a very good team.

This year I drove down to Hamilton, ON to watch the Devils play the bulldogs. Gelinas played pretty good that game also. He elbowed some guy right in the chops, it was good to see him play with some nastiness.

As for his slow start and semi-strong finish (mid season was the strong point of his season) he was learning to be a pro and play pro hockey. I think personally he might have the highest ceiling of the Devils prospects. I personally think that Gelinas might develop into something special if he keeps up the good work on the farm or in NJ. A full season with Larry will do this kid wonders.

Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Buggsy

Quote:

Who is your brother in law?

I didn't watch much of the Seadogs during the season, but in the playoffs and Mem. Cup he seemed to hit a lot more and was better at pinching of forwards along the boards.

Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:13 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Ahhh, the Urbom hype train was awesome. He was our big, fast #1 PMD with a rocket from the point.

Then he stepped on the ice.

KidRobot is offline   Reply With Quote