HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part V) - "ZP don't take kindly to us"

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
Right. Nice rebuttal by the way.
Was a placeholder. Answer my question?

Old
06-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
How are you using his playoff stats to calculate his regular season stats? Just curious...
Thought you put up his regular season stats with LA my apologies. Point still remains. He got all of his points in 7 of the 20 games.

Old
06-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I would love Doan honestly. I don't think we have a shot though, but it'd be great.
To be honest, I could totally see a scenario where the Rangers are in heavy pursuit of some big named star, let's say Nash or Ryan, leading up all the way to July 1st, maybe even leading through most of July 1st, then signing someone like a Doan out of no where. Doan would definitely be interested in coming here, i'm sure if we made a pitch to him we'd make it worth his while.

That being said he's a very dirty player. Him and Cally were going at it when we played last year. Idk if he'd be a fit on this group of players who are intent on playing "the right way"...

Old
06-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
How are you using his playoff stats to calculate his regular season stats? Just curious...

Sounds more like he is saying he wants PHX to do everything they can so he doesn't even have to entertain other offers.
I do believe his number 1 priority is to stay in Phoenix, but he has stated he will listen to the calls on July 1st. Also all of this is redundant depending on if Phoenix's ownership gets figured out or not. Shane Doan is just as much as a possibility as someone like Parise.

Edit: and I never once said Doan will come to NY. All I stated was that is what I think the Rangers should do instead of giving up assets for Nash. But again you tried twisting my words saying I really want it to happen so I think it will.

Last edited by Burlington Bomb 26: 06-14-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old
06-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Thought you put up his regular season stats with LA my apologies. Point still remains. He got all of his points in 7 of the 20 games.
What was your point again? That he had a solid playoffs?

He wasn't meant to tear it up, just contribute. He isn't someone the Kings got to carry the burden.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
What was your point again? That he had a solid playoffs?

He wasn't meant to tear it up, just contribute. He isn't someone the Kings got to carry the burden.
...my point was his numbers didn't change much from Columbus to LA.

Give an actual argument. Don't just try to twist words around. You're not very good at it.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:07 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
You say it like it's a bad thing. He had two game winners in the finals. He's a weapon, he'll score and he'll draw attention from the Brown-Kopitar line. Carter on our 2nd line would have been a huge plus.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:09 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:

Give an actual argument. Don't just try to twist words around. You're not very good at it.
You can't use his regular season numbers in Columbus and compare it to the post season numbers. He played against the 1, 2 and 3 seed, then the Eastern Conference Champ. That's the stiffest competition in history. The regular season is against diluted competition.

And correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Carter finish the regular season injured?

Old
06-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
You say it like it's a bad thing. He had two game winners in the finals. He's a weapon, he'll score and he'll draw attention from the Brown-Kopitar line. Carter on our 2nd line would have been a huge plus.
That's not my point. My point is his production never changed. I'm not trying to say anything bad about Carter, all I'm saying his production stayed the course from LA and CLB.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:

He was played less in LA. Hard concept to grasp I know, but 4m of extra ice time in CLB is quite a bit.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock;5092033
You can't use his regular season numbers in Columbus and compare it to the post season numbers. He played against the 1, 2 and 3 seed, then the Eastern Conference Champ. That's the stiffest competition in history. The regular season is against diluted competition.

And correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Carter finish the regular season injured?
Regular season was going a little above .5 PPG rate with LA. And one of his game winners was in a 6-1 win. I'm not sure if he was injured or not. Again my entire point was his stats stayed the same.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
LOL, No it IS mute because I can no longer hear the proposals.
Haha well played

Old
06-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
He was played less in LA. Hard concept to grasp I know, but 4m of extra ice time in CLB is quite a bit.
Okay. Doesn't change the fact of my argument. Also playing with Brown, Kopitar, Richards, Gagne, Penner, Williams is a lot better for production then playing with Nash Umberger, Johansen, Pahlsson and Brassard. And don't even get me started on the difference of having Drew Doughty on the point instead of Fedor Tyutin. But hey hard concept to grasp.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:21 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The schedule being announced next week includes Phoenix. I think Doan may sign a one year contract with 1-2 player option years so he can start making plans for next year but still has some flexibility in the event things go upside down here. We'll know a lot more after court hearing next Tuesday.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The schedule being announced next week includes Phoenix. I think Doan may sign a one year contract with 1-2 player option years so he can start making plans for next year but still has some flexibility in the event things go upside down here. We'll know a lot more after court hearing next Tuesday.
Do you think Whitney will re-sign as well? If Doan re-signs which I think he will, I'd like the Rangers to get Whitney maybe.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Okay. Doesn't change the fact of my argument. Also playing with Brown, Kopitar, Richards, Gagne, Penner, Williams is a lot better for production then playing with Nash Umberger, Johansen, Pahlsson and Brassard. And don't even get me started on the difference of having Drew Doughty on the point instead of Fedor Tyutin. But hey hard concept to grasp.
Fact of the matter is we need to wait and see next year before we can definitively say whether he benefited from the move out of CLB, what we can say is he was hindered by the move to CLB and that shows in his production.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

If Edmonton decides to pick a defenseman first overall, I'd pick up the phone and call Howson and offer

Stepan, Del Zotto, Miller, Erixon, 1st, 2nd

for

Nash AND the 2nd overall

Adding Yakupov on a ELC would offset the 7.8 that Nash makes. We'd be getting 2 borderline-elite legitimate top 6 scorers for about 10 million in cap-space.

Assuming we can add Schultz...

Kreider Richards Gaborik
Nash Anisimov Yakupov
Hagelin Dubinsky Callahan
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Girardi
McDonagh Schultz
_______ McIlrath / Sauer(?) / Stralman / Corvo

Lundqvist
Biron

or perhaps if we have room to add Radulov,

The Russian line / The -ov line:

Radulov Anisimov Yakupov !

Kreider Richards Gaborik
Nash Dubinsky Callahan
Radulov Anisimov Yakupov
Hagelin Boyle Prust
Rupp/Mitchell

Although it'd be a huge waste to have Hagelin on the fourth line...although Torts loves Boyle so much, Hagelin might end up with more ice-time on that line than any other!

Staal Girardi
McDonagh Schultz
Gill McIlrath / Sauer / Stralman

Lundqvist
Biron

Risky, but our offense would be about twenty times better and we don't lose all that much on our backend. Of course it all hinges on Schultz signing here AND being ready to jump right in and play top-4 minutes. With his style of play, it's doable, but it's a huge gamble to give up DZ AND Erixon in the same trade without a d-man coming back. The more I think about it, the more I realize I'm nuts to even suggest this, but I just spent five minutes typing it up so now I'm going to hit Submit and get killed. Go.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
If Edmonton decides to pick a defenseman first overall, I'd pick up the phone and call Howson and offer
I think if Edmonton wants a defenseman they will trade down it would be dumb for them to not see what they could get to move to 3rd-5th.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:43 PM
No Fehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
it feels like before NYR can start making proposals they need to decide what they are doing with their defense, in terms of the main 4, of which mdz seems to be the only one that will be considered to move. as good as he has been in spurts, the main question is whether mdz is a guy you are going to commit to and spend $$ on when he will be behind staal and mcd on the left side, despite him being our "only pmd." if he isnt, then he becomes a fairly attractive trade chip in any deal for a top flight scoring upgrade.

i think everyone skips past making a true assessment on mdz and his longterm position with this franchise which i think is ONLY complicated by the noted depth of the left side and potentially spending a large amount on a guy who will have 3rd pairing minutes if mcd and staal remain here for a long time
I think your right, most people on these boards underestimate how important defense is to the transition game that leads to goals. If your D can keep the other team from scoring that is fine but if they can't make effective passes out of the zone then it does not matter who is playing forward. I don't think the rangers D is bad at this just not as good as other top end/contender teams.
I would rather see Suter then Nash or any other high $ forward that is available. But for the money I would take stralman and Shultz.
Also I play D, have my entire hockey life, going from left side to right is not that hard. off wing side is nice to play for offensive players. If the coaching staff told MDZ we need you on the right side he could make the switch by next season. The positives for him playing that side are numerous he just needs to remember: NO back hand passes to your D partner! To me having a right wing move to center would be much harder/almost impossible. This is the easiest transition a player can make, maybe left to right wing might be easier. Stopping a puck on your backhand? These are pros and that is a simple play. Most of the time you stop it with your body anyhow. If you have trouble picking pucks off the boards, then you should go to a square blade.
Who are the rangers top four?
Who has the highest value of there career? I think DG is the only one that is the answer for both of those questions. I think he will be just as good next year but his value will go down. If you can upgrade your top six by trading him, you do it and push hard for Suter. It has to be for a legit top six forward though.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Wait, I think I topped my last offer. I thought of something even more risky!

Edmonton has elite young forwards, but they lack top end defensemen so....

Staal, Erixon, 1st to EDM for the 1st overall (draft Yakupov)

Then, throw Suter an offer he can't refuse to replace Staal, and pray that Justin Schultz signs with us.

Kreider Richards Yakupov
Anisimov Stepan Gaborik
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Suter Girardi
McDonagh Schultz
Del Zotto McIlrath / Sauer / Stralman

Lundqvist
Biron

Old
06-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
I think if Edmonton wants a defenseman they will trade down it would be dumb for them to not see what they could get to move to 3rd-5th.
Very true. I am dumb.

Old
06-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:

Stepan, Del Zotto, Miller, Erixon, 1st, 2nd

for

Nash AND the 2nd overall

Adding Yakupov on a ELC would offset the 7.8 that Nash makes. We'd be getting 2 borderline-elite legitimate top 6 scorers for about 10 million in cap-space.

Assuming we can add Schultz...

Kreider Richards Gaborik
Nash Anisimov Yakupov
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Girardi
McDonagh Schultz
_______ McIlrath / Sauer(?) / Stralman / Corvo

Lundqvist
Biron

or perhaps if we have room to add Radulov,

The Russian line / The -ov line:

Radulov Anisimov Yakupov !

Kreider Richards Gaborik
Nash Dubinsky Callahan
Radulov Anisimov Yakupov
Hagelin Boyle Prust
Rupp/Mitchell

Although it'd be a huge waste to have Hagelin on the fourth line...although Torts loves Boyle so much, Hagelin might end up with more ice-time on that line than any other!

Staal Girardi
McDonagh Schultz
Gill McIlrath / Sauer / Stralman

Lundqvist
Biron

Risky, but our offense would be about twenty times better and we don't lose all that much on our backend. Of course it all hinges on Schultz signing here AND being ready to jump right in and play top-4 minutes. With his style of play, it's doable, but it's a huge gamble to give up DZ AND Erixon in the same trade without a d-man coming back. The more I think about it, the more I realize I'm nuts to even suggest this, but I just spent five minutes typing it up so now I'm going to hit Submit and get killed. Go.
I'd do this.. It's a risk, but having this young group and adding Nash AND Yakupov? sign me up.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I'd do this.. It's a risk, but having this young group and adding Nash AND Yakupov? sign me up.
Flyers did something like this in the Carter Voracek and first round draft pick last year...

Old
06-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wait, I think I topped my last offer. I thought of something even more risky!

Edmonton has elite young forwards, but they lack top end defensemen so....

Staal, Erixon, 1st to EDM for the 1st overall (draft Yakupov)

Then, throw Suter an offer he can't refuse to replace Staal, and pray that Justin Schultz signs with us.

Kreider Richards Yakupov
Anisimov Stepan Gaborik
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Suter Girardi
McDonagh Schultz
Del Zotto McIlrath / Sauer / Stralman

Lundqvist
Biron
The first offer you had won't cut it for both Nash and the 2nd.

Additionally, Suter is most likely not coming to the East according to sources. He's declining the Flyers and it appears that the only legitimate landing spots for him are Det, SJ, or resigning back in Nashville.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Fact of the matter is we need to wait and see next year before we can definitively say whether he benefited from the move out of CLB, what we can say is he was hindered by the move to CLB and that shows in his production.
You really don't get it. I wasn't even trying to really argue on anything like that. All I was saying is his production didn't change from Columbus to LA. You can talk all you want about next year. But the fact remains. His production DID NOT change.

Closed Thread