HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part V) - "ZP don't take kindly to us"

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

vCash: 500
Actually to be quite honist I thought he was a 30+ goal scorer not a 18-25 goal scorer..

Old
06-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorchris View Post
Sharks are my second team (due to proximity, really), and I get to watch a fair bit of Clowe. Dubi and Clowe are vaguely similar players, in as much as they're big-bodied wingers who play with a bit of an edge to their game. The huge advantages Clowe has over Dubinsky are his passing/playmaking skills, and his nastiness. Clowe's shot is average to above-average (maybe slightly better than Dubi's), but his passing is exceptional, especially for a winger. He's also as-good, if not better than Dubi at board-play, and hitting.

For Clowe, a typical shift would be catching a d-man unawares on the forecheck with a big hit (he's not the fastest, so it'd most likely be a mistake by the other D after being flushed out by a speedier player), stripping the puck from them, and then picking out a teammate in space on the other side of o-zone with a decent pass. Dubi can do everything else pretty well except the last part - that's where Clowe might make the difference.

Unfortunately, last year he was very underwhelming - very streaky, looking disinterested at times, and taking stupid (frustration-led) penalties the next.

I think he'd definitely be an upgrade on Dubi, but I wouldn't pay much more than Dubi himself - maybe a 2nd, or a B/C level prospect. It'd be a change of scenery for both guys after down years.
Good post...I agree with just about everything you said. Clowe is definitely the better playmaker. Clowe I think in his play is slightly more physical than Dubi. Gotta mention as a scrapper Clowe certainly has the advantage. He is one of the best in the business at that.

Dubi is more of a gamer. One thing though that you mentioned. Clowe this season was somewhat uninterested at times. Dubi struggled this year, he actually seemed a little "off" but more mentally than anything else. One thing about Dubi, and it's the main reason a always try to defend the guy here. Dubi has Moxy, he in not the most talented or skilled player out there but he navigated his way through the NHL by out-working opponents. Until this season he was a bull down low and rarely lost battles along the wall. He's so young, and has a lot of experience under his belt already I think the organization really needs to be patient with him.

Plus one more thing that really needs to be factored. Does Clowe beat Hagelin or Kreider if he comes here on the left wall? So where would he fit?

Put Clowe with Richards and you drastically decrease the speed in your top 6. Put him with Steps and you have a similar result. On the flip side, both of those players will have a lot more room out there with that gorilla on the wall.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Chief

I'd just like to with Rick Nash a Happy Birthday today!

Old
06-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Lundsanity30

If you believe Sather, Parise wasn't even on his list...

Old
06-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Where was this reported?

Old
06-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Where was this reported?
"That's fine, if he was on my list I would cross his name off, but hes not"

Old
06-14-2012, 08:34 PM
XLJ

No way would I trade Dubi for Clowe straight up. They are similar players. Your not really upgrading the team by doing that. Clowe is 3 or 4 years older and is a ufa after next year.

Dubi had a disappointing year but he will bounce back. Only way I trade Dubi is if you have to include him in a package for someone like Bobby Ryan. If you are not getting a clear upgrade, their is no point in trading him.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Lundsanity30

Honestly, it was the 3rd and 4th lines in the playoffs mostly that killed us. We really nee to add to the bottom 6. However, I think we also need another scoring threat other than just Gaborik JMO. I also think the best way to fix our bottom 6 is to add to the top 6 and push everyone else down.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
I actually do believe him. Parise is not worth the money and I think that Sather knows that and has learned seriously hard lessons with Drury, Gomez, and Redden.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
People keep talking about Dubinsky "bouncing back." To what? A >25 goal season, including like 6 or 7 empty netters? He's not nearly as good as his contract needs him to be and he never has been and he never will be. Some people need to move past their incredibly misguided affection for him.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I think that Ryan Clowe would kinda help. Kreider is still quite young. He's gonna be a special player but i like Clowe because after researching it seems like he can make good passes and plays and he's pretty strong. Offensive skill is visible

Old
06-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I'd just like to with Rick Nash a Happy Birthday today!
It's not today, it's Saturday so two more days until we start hearing that he is 28 and near the end of his career.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:43 PM
GoGoKreider

Do you think Jagr can bring anything to this team at his age?

Im gonna get ripped for this, but that is ok. I am a newbie anyways on this board. I know Jagr is old and the Rangers are a young team, but he did pretty decent in Phili this year. Think he has anything left in the tank for the Rangers? Maybe a good 3rd liner. Also help a little bit on the PP.

Please take it easy on me.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imissaveryfire View Post
Im gonna get ripped for this, but that is ok. I am a newbie anyways on this board. I know Jagr is old and the Rangers are a young team, but he did pretty decent in Phili this year. Think he has anything left in the tank for the Rangers? Maybe a good 3rd liner. Also help a little bit on the PP.

I think about this quite a lot. I feel like he would, but I don't think that Sather or Torts would want that risk.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I think he absolutely can, but I'd say there's a VERY small chance of us signing him.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
WAY too much for Clowe.

No reason to include Erixon in it. I like Clowe, but just too much for him IMO, whose game is pretty similar to that of Dubinsky's.
That is too much for Clowe. I would love him on the Rangers though.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:50 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

The rebuttal that Nash should have made his teammates better & willed the team into the playoffs has always bothered me to be honest.

I was bored at work and dug into who exactly Nash has been playing with since 2007. Literally the best player offensively was Antoine Vermette. Here are CBJ's top 5 point getters, by year, since that time:

2012: Nash (59), Prospal (55), Brassard (41), Umberger (40), J. Johnson (38)

2011: Nash (66), Umbeger (57), Vermette (47), Brassard (47), Voracek (46)

2010: Nash (67), Vermette (65), Huselius (63), Umberger (55), Voracek (50)

2009: Nash (79), Huselius (56), Williams (47), Umberger (46), Vermette (41)

2008: Nash (69), Zherdev (61), Peca (34), Hainsey (32), Chimera (31)

2007: Vyborny (64), Nash (57), Modin (42), Fedorov (42), Chimera (36)

My goodness. Acquiring him undoubtedly carries risk, but he has absolutely never played in a top-6 with anywhere near the talent (Richards, Gabby, Kreider, Stepan, Cally, etc.) that the Rangers could offer.

If anything we should be looking at the fact that a mere 2 years ago Antoine Vermette put up the same amount of points that Brad Richards did for us this year.

06-14-2012, 08:51 PM
GoGoKreider

His price would definitely be low since he will be 41. I know Torts would not want him on the team, since he wouldn't fit the system. But he loves shooting, and i think would help the PP so much. I truly believe we need a Top scorer like Nash, but would rather get more depth as in some secondary scoring to have more than 1-2 lines. I rather have 4 15-20 goal scorers than 1 30-35 goal scorer anyday.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
The rebuttal that Nash should have made his teammates better & willed the team into the playoffs has always bothered me to be honest.

I was bored at work and dug into who exactly Nash has been playing with since 2007. Literally the best player offensively was Antoine Vermette. Here are CBJ's top 5 point getters, by year, since that time:

2012: Nash (59), Prospal (55), Brassard (41), Umberger (40), J. Johnson (38)

2011: Nash (66), Umbeger (57), Vermette (47), Brassard (47), Voracek (46)

2010: Nash (67), Vermette (65), Huselius (63), Umberger (55), Voracek (50)

2009: Nash (79), Huselius (56), Williams (47), Umberger (46), Vermette (41)

2008: Nash (69), Zherdev (61), Peca (34), Hainsey (32), Chimera (31)

2007: Vyborny (64), Nash (57), Modin (42), Fedorov (42), Chimera (36)

My goodness. Acquiring him undoubtedly carries risk, but he has absolutely never played in a top-6 with anywhere near the talent (Richards, Gabby, Kreider, Stepan, Cally, etc.) that the Rangers could offer. If anything we should be looking at the fact that a mere 2 yrs ago Antoine Vermette put up the same amount of points that Brad Richards did for us this year.
I'm bored at work too but all I can muster up is a few games of solitaire haha. But good points, I think on any team not just the Rangers that have a solid top 6 if he is given 2nd line minutes and PP time he'll easily get back to 70+.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
"That's fine, if he was on my list I would cross his name off, but hes not"

Old
06-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Lundsanity30

I have zero doubt that Nash would put up 70pts or more with this Rangers team. I don't see a risk at all as far as his talent goes. now what we give up? thats another debate, but there is no risk at all to bring in a talent like Nash.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Vitto79

I am on the Clowe bandwaggon big time. Not sure why some say SJ wont move him. They have underacieved, he's a UFA at yrs end..........they are likely lookin to shake things up..................I would do a Dubi plus for Clowe for sure.

For example lets say Sather can get Gaustad at 3rd line C well then Boyle in that deal I bet gets it done. Yea Boyle has value to other teams

Old
06-14-2012, 09:04 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imissaveryfire View Post

Imissaveryfire - welcome. Thoughts and ideas are always welcome. I also was thinking of another player but when I looked him up, I saw he was also 40. Ray Whitney is also 40 years old. He played 82 games and had 77 points (24 g, 53 a). Jagr is a bigger player. 40 years old used to be unheard of. (Messier at 42 aren't the fondest memories) Whitney made 3 million. Would a 2.5 - 3 million one year deal to a 40 year old Whitney upset you fans? I am still not sure. I was curious of your thoughts.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:06 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
I have zero doubt that Nash would put up 70pts or more with this Rangers team. I don't see a risk at all as far as his talent goes. now what we give up? thats another debate, but there is no risk at all to bring in a talent like Nash.
I don't think anyone would say he isn't capable of 70 points, but 70 points is not good enough considering his cost in players and cap space.

Columbus is looking for a package that should get you Crosby or Malkin, not Nash.

If the Rangers can get him for Dubi, a first, and a prospect then he might be worth it. (I know that would never happen)

Old
06-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Imissaveryfire - welcome. Thoughts and ideas are always welcome. I also was thinking of another player but when I looked him up, I saw he was also 40. Ray Whitney is also 40 years old. He played 82 games and had 77 points (24 g, 53 a). Jagr is a bigger player. 40 years old used to be unheard of. (Messier at 42 aren't the fondest memories) Whitney made 3 million. Would a 2.5 - 3 million one year deal to a 40 year old Whitney upset you fans? I am still not sure. I was curious of your thoughts.
I would do a 1 yr on Whitney but I think he gets a 2 yr

Closed Thread