HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part V) - "ZP don't take kindly to us"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2012, 01:50 PM
  #151
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 500
The Rangers should be able to resign Prust, Biron, MDZ and a 6th/7th D for well under 6 million a year. Lets say they sign Schultz to the rookie max. They might need to sign another RD depending on how their young guys shake out.

But more or less you are left with 10+ million in cap space.

Kreider-Richards-xxxx
Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-xxxx
Prust-Boyle-Rupp
(Gaborik, inj.)

McD-Girardi
Staal-MDZ/Schultz/Erixon/Bickel
MDZ-Schultz/Erixon/Bickel/UFA
(Sauer, inj.)

A few right wing options that shouldn't cost too many "assets". Radulov. Boyes. Stempniak. Samuelsson. IMO none of these are particularly attractive "long term".

But perhaps they overpay to keep it a one year deal. Add some depth without crippling the cap or giving up assets. Worry about where to put your 40 goal scorer once hes fully healthy.

Kreider-Richards-Boyes/Radulov
Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-Radulov/Boyes
Prust-Boyle-Rupp
(Gaborik, inj.)

You could reasonably offer them each 5+ million a year for a one year deal (not that you would have to) and both could be had for the asset price of whatever Radulov costs, which should be reasonable. Players get a nice payday and get a chance to play for a legit contender while showcasing for a long term contract. Rangers get some talent and depth without giving up big assets and maintain cap flexibility long term. If it doesn't work out, there is always the trade deadline and the option to move the assets you kept. Not a bad deal for either side.

McRanger is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 01:53 PM
  #152
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Staal and Girardi will not be paid a TON more than they are and the cap will most likely go up by the time they need their raises. McDonagh is the player who the Rangers have to plan for because he is on his ELC but moving MDZ and his future contract helps the team fit them in.

Suter would be locked in at his rate. 6.5 for Suter > 3 for MDZ (and this is not accounting for MDZ's future raises that he may get when this next contract is done).
I'm just not willing to say that the cap will go up until the CBA is resolved, but let's be realistic; How many teams have 4 d-men on their roster making north of $4.5M per year? (which is my guess as to the minimum it would take to retain those three players)

I don't think Suter is an option for us. I'd much rather increase the depth on D than invest more money in the top-end of it.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 01:57 PM
  #153
NewYorkRangers89*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Give Stempniak a 1 year deal at 3 mil and try for Kubina also for about 3-4 mil for 1 year. Forget the trades we just need to get a guy who can play in the top 6 and give us 15-20 goals. No reason to blow up the team just to get a guy who MIGHT score 40 goals like Nash just like there is no reason to sign a guy like Suter, we don't need defense we need scoring. 2 wins away from a stanley cup appearance and people are acting like we came in last place and had the least goals for in the leage.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:00 PM
  #154
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
This is a misconception, IMO.

Suter would improve our transition game (which needs improvement IMO) so much that he may actually be more of a factor offensively than the Plan B or C forward options being discussed.

Suter runs the PP with poise that is lacking with any of our defensemen. Even DZ, the best PP defenseman of our group isn't exactly a calming influence. Suter slows it down and always makes the right play.

Suter's ability to break up a play in the neutral zone or at our blue-line and quickly lead the rush the other way is simply, elite. The brilliant flashes of this that McDonagh has shown are a consistent cornerstone of Suter's game.

He has an impact on a shift by shift basis.

He would improve our puck possession tremendously and all the things he brings offensively, he's just as sound if not moreso, in his own zone.

Truly an elite defenseman. I swear, many of you have not watched enough Nashville games over the past 3-4 years if you don't think Suter is one of the best all-around players at his position.
I'm not discounting him at all. He absolutely is an elite defensemen. I just don't think its smart to use your resources on what is already a strength of the Rangers. Hank and the Rangers D is why we made it as far as we did last year. Unless you're planning on moving Girardi or Staal to get a top 6 guy since we would have Suter to replace them?

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:00 PM
  #155
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'm just not willing to say that the cap will go up until the CBA is resolved, but let's be realistic; How many teams have 4 d-men on their roster making north of $4.5M per year? (which is my guess as to the minimum it would take to retain those three players)

I don't think Suter is an option for us. I'd much rather increase the depth on D than invest more money in the top-end of it.
agree. def don't need to invest money into top end d unless they're already on this team (or schultz)

Kreider Typical is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:01 PM
  #156
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
Give Stempniak a 1 year deal at 3 mil and try for Kubina also for about 3-4 mil for 1 year. Forget the trades we just need to get a guy who can play in the top 6 and give us 15-20 goals. No reason to blow up the team just to get a guy who MIGHT score 40 goals like Nash just like there is no reason to sign a guy like Suter, we don't need defense we need scoring. 2 wins away from a stanley cup appearance and people are acting like we came in last place and had the least goals for in the leage.
I don't see trading away Dubinsky + Del Zotto + prospects and our draft pick for Nash is "blowing up the team"?

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:04 PM
  #157
NewYorkRangers89*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I don't see trading away Dubinsky + Del Zotto + prospects and our draft pick for Nash is "blowing up the team"?
LOL yea because that's all it will take to get Nash right?

NewYorkRangers89* is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:05 PM
  #158
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
So how much research did you just do to say it was unrealistic? Look, I am all for trading prospects for the right move, and Rick Nash is not one of them. Rick Nash is not an elite scorer in this league. Look at his statistics. Then you say "oh look what team he is on" well, he should make them better then.
He did make them better! take a look at the surrounding cast he's had since he came into the league. it's not an alibi He was the ONLY top 3 forward they have ever had in their existence as a franchise.

look at the surrounding cast that Sid the Kid had, and Ovie! You think they have the same #'s if they swapped franchises?

Nash is elite talent. He would be the best player we've acquired since the lockout (sorry jagr fans)

NikC is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:06 PM
  #159
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 23,773
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
LOL yea because that's all it will take to get Nash right?
When you piss off upper mangament, the player involved in the trade and pretty much the state of Ohio, yes it very might could be if any of the other 29 GMs are smart.

FromTheSide is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:09 PM
  #160
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,099
vCash: 500
At the deadline, if the price was right I wanted to get Nash. At this point I want nothing to do with Howson and the Blue Jackets.

At first I could shrug off Nash's contract because of all the skill he'd bring but now I'm starting to see him getting lazier and slower and it's only going to get worse.

I think if we be patient eventually the right deal/opportunity will come along for us. I don't think this is the one anymore.

__________________
New York RKY is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:09 PM
  #161
NewYorkRangers89*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
When you piss off upper mangament, the player involved in the trade and pretty much the state of Ohio, yes it very might could be if any of the other 29 GMs are smart.


That will never happen. Nash isn't gonna be traded for 2 players and a 28th pick. Include next years pick with a few more players and it will work and that is the exact reason i'm against trading for him. Nash doesn't really care about pissing off the management because if he did he wouldn't want to be traded in the first place.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:10 PM
  #162
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
At the deadline, if the price was right I wanted to get Nash. At this point I want nothing to do with Howson and the Blue Jackets.

At first I could shrug off Nash's contract because of all the skill he'd bring but now I'm starting to see him getting lazier and slower and it's only going to get worse.

I think if we be patient eventually the right deal/opportunity will come along for us. I don't think this is the one anymore.
lazier and slower? Maybe its a lack of motivation for playing on a **** team with all his talent?

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
  #163
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
lazier and slower? Maybe its a lack of motivation for playing on a **** team with all his talent?
Or maybe it's the fact that he's 28-29 and starting to decline a little bit.

Don't get me wrong he's still an incredible player and I is great to watch but you have to figure he has 3-4 dominant more years and then the contract will suck.

New York RKY is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
  #164
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
That will never happen. Nash isn't gonna be traded for 2 players and a 28th pick. Include next years pick with a few more players and it will work and that is the exact reason i'm against trading for him. Nash doesn't really care about pissing off the management because if he did he wouldn't want to be traded in the first place.
They liked Dubinsky alot, They wanted MDZ who Sather refused to deal. Dubinsky + Del Zotto is a fine starting point IMO. and they can have whatever prospects or picks they want.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
  #165
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
have we ever had skill like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIpPg...eature=related

watch them all and when you get to the last one, you'll have your answer...

if the first 9 didn't already convince you.

NikC is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:15 PM
  #166
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
According to a well-placed source, Suter has a potential list of clubs he would be willing to talk to even if his rights were traded before July 1. Suter is represented by Neil Sheehy.

Alas, the Flyers are not one of them.

In fact, the source said, all of Suter’s preferred destinations, should he leave the Predators, are in the Western Conference – not the East.

Detroit is generally conceded to be his top choice.
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...764&feedID=695

Philly wants to re-sign Carle for under $5M per

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:17 PM
  #167
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
have we ever had skill like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIpPg...eature=related

watch them all and when you get to the last one, you'll have your answer...

if the first 9 didn't already convince you.
We must be thinking of the wrong guy? The Rick Nash everyone seems to be talking about seems to have no skill and is completely overrated.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:19 PM
  #168
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Or maybe it's the fact that he's 28-29 and starting to decline a little bit.

Don't get me wrong he's still an incredible player and I is great to watch but you have to figure he has 3-4 dominant more years and then the contract will suck.
Which you have 3-4 years with a GREAT chance to win the Stanley Cup. If we win one with him (or two, who knows?) no one will care what his cap hit looks like. The question Rangers have to ask themselves, is are we one piece away from winning it all? If they feel they are, than they need to make the Nash trade somehow.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:20 PM
  #169
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Why would he limit himself to only Western conference teams? Does he enjoy the massive amount of travel compared to the East?

I refuse to believe that. He's still property of Nashville until July 1st. Why would he have leaked information to a "source" about where he wants to sign?

Just more rumors, IMO. I'll believe it when I see it.

I think Detroit is definitely the front-runner, but I don't think he'd completely rule out Philly or NY. Westchester is less than an hour from the garden. Farmland. Enjoy, Ryan.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:20 PM
  #170
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...764&feedID=695

Philly wants to re-sign Carle for under $5M per
Yeah, he's not a "big city" guy. no way he comes here. Detroit just lost Lidstrom, they are clearly the favorites.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:20 PM
  #171
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
12:46:17 Xerxes: If the Rangers are offering a package of Dubinsky, Del Zotto, 28th pick and a prospect would that be a good deal for Nash? Or would it take more than that?

12:49:05 Portzline: I wouldn't think the crowing piece in the return for Nash will be a defenseman, and that's what that draft scenario would include. I wouldn't think that collection of pieces would entice Howson, but obviously I can't say that for certain. We talk and we have a very good relationship, but it's not so specific as to throw multiple scenarios at him for a yes or no. I think the Rangers offer the best fit, as they have the most on-the-cusp prospects in the NHL, especially forwards.
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...kets-chat.html

You know who they want? The Rangers have the most-on-the-cusp prospects in the NHL,especially forwards? What is Portzline watching? He is more clueless than their GM. If the Rangers had those type of forwards,the names Nash,Getzlaf,Ryan,etc wouldn't be mentioned in almost every post in this thread.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:21 PM
  #172
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
We must be thinking of the wrong guy? The Rick Nash everyone seems to be talking about seems to have no skill and is completely overrated.
Who's saying that?

Rick Nash is a great talent. Is his contract overrated yes, but I'm still of the mindset if we get him for our price I'd be happy.

What everyone is talking about is not the right price.

No Del Zotto.

New York RKY is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:22 PM
  #173
NewYorkRangers89*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
They liked Dubinsky alot, They wanted MDZ who Sather refused to deal. Dubinsky + Del Zotto is a fine starting point IMO. and they can have whatever prospects or picks they want.

They can have Kreider and Stepan? Even McD?

NewYorkRangers89* is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:24 PM
  #174
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,887
vCash: 500
As we discussed yesterday here in the previous thread,Ryan Suter's lifestyle is not suited for the big city. Suter is also very conservative politically. He isn't loving with the big city liberals and the Republicans who vote with their wallets.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:25 PM
  #175
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,887
vCash: 500
Columbus wants Chris Kreider. There is nothing to discuss anymore. Hang up the phone and lose the phone number.

RangerBoy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.