HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you care about the style of hockey the team plays?

View Poll Results: Game opinion?
We still need to be entertained, I want to be on the edge of my seat. 21 26.58%
It's all about winning, regardless how boring the game is. 58 73.42%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-14-2012, 06:20 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I know this, it will be a long year

With this roster trying to play Randy Carlyle's system. Probably poor Kessel hasn't slept a wink since the end of the season.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:37 PM
CellarDweller0

no brainer really. cant believe people picked the first option.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:16 PM
OmarSaeed

For the question of entertainment, to me, no, I only want to win. However, I do care about the style of hockey this team plays. I honestly wouldn't cheer for them if they played a 'Vancouver' style game. That would be one of the many reasons I don't want Luongo on this team.

OmarSaeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Winning is the entertainment itself.
I don't necessarily agree. Winning is more fun than losing, but when the Leafs were winning those fire wagon games, that was super exciting in a way that a 3-1 grind it out with an empty netter game might not be.

I wouldn't complain if the Leafs trapped their way to a cup, but I'd love to see a Gilmour/Clark/Potvin era team with a scoring star, a big hitter and a star goalie lead us to the title playing an exciting brand of hockey more so.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Blayzer
Schenn ** JVR

It made me sick watching them play under Wilson. So passive, no fight in them. Atleast under Carlyle they showed up, even if they took a whooping. I hate seeing a soft team. I want a defensive hard nosed team.

Blayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:54 PM
kihei

vCash: 3202
Totally. If we turn into the New York Rangers, I will find a new team to root for. Winning is not entertainment in itself.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:31 PM
AvroArrow

I want a team that wins. i dont care if its 1-0 every game, or 7-6 . as long as we get the W . As long as we dont play a soft style like vancouver, which includes diving/whining im ok.

I would prefer games to be low scoring. it usually means the team is solid defensively and that usually wins the cup..but at this point get the W anyway you can, team needs playoff experience badly.

AvroArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

I watch hockey because it entertains me. if it didn't I wouldn't watch. are you people saying you haven't been entertained by the Leafs since 1967?

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I don't necessarily agree. Winning is more fun than losing, but when the Leafs were winning those fire wagon games, that was super exciting in a way that a 3-1 grind it out with an empty netter game might not be.

I wouldn't complain if the Leafs trapped their way to a cup, but I'd love to see a Gilmour/Clark/Potvin era team with a scoring star, a big hitter and a star goalie lead us to the title playing an exciting brand of hockey more so.
The 3 most glaring missing items from the Leafs current team, are the qualities and positions that were once occupied by Gilmour/Clark/Potvin trio of an elite center with tremendous heart, a punishing, physically imposing, intimidating goal scoring winger and a proven, dependable #1 goalie.

I loved the 1993 & 1994 Leafs as among my favourite times as a Leaf fan post 1967 on both style and player personnel choices. Its also why Cliff Fletcher the architect, Patty Burns the director and Dougie and Wendel the instruments of that era will always hold a special part in my heart for what they brought to Leaf Nation..

By that same token today's currently assembled team, which is small, soft, easily intimidated, and a defensive liability, combined with now a perpetual losing team (the polar opposite of the past), all factors that actually make the current product delivered difficult to watch, and often embarrassing, and far from entertaining for me.

I can't wait for history to repeat itself and we can relive a 1993 & 94 rival of past conquests and glories again, to make one proud to be a Leaf fan again. Back then it was LA and Gretzky that ended our destiny, and the Cup winning Kings team of today lead by Kopitar, Brown and Quick are the modern day version of Dougie/Wendel and Felix of our past. Sadly a large portion of the Leaf fan base on this site, too young to appreciate the past, but the Kings of today are a great example replica based on team build, of what we as Leaf fans had as a comparative team in the early 1990s.

Last edited by Mess: 06-18-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:35 AM
pspot

Id be interested to see the poll results for season ticket holders only

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
Id be interested to see the poll results for season ticket holders only
When "fire Burke", "fire Wilson" rings down from the crowd, and the Leaf players are booed off of home ice at the ACC in front of loyal paying fans, you have your answer in part as to what those results would be, and if they're happy with the product being served up for their entertainment dollars..

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
Be exciting, and lose? Or boring wins to the cup?

Its been 45 years. I wouldn't care if Aldredson captained the team to the cup. I want to see the leafs win one. (yes, I went there)
Please hand in your Official Maple Leafs fan card, and see yourself out.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 10:58 AM
paulster2626

I want it all. I want entertaining hockey, and I want to win a cup. Why can't I have both? Have I not waited long enough? Have I not spent enough time and money on this franchise?

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:46 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 50
A mod should change the poll to include: I believe that entertaining hockey can also win championships.

Carolina did it, Anaheim did it, LA did it, Boston did it, Chicago did it, Philly almost did it, Pittsburgh did it...

So few teams have won the cup playing boring trap-style hockey.

I don't even understand where everyone is so up-in-arms over this topic, when statistically there hasn't been much success for those teams.

Montreal played trap-style hockey, they made it the to Conference finals and lost to a high-octane team. Tampa Bay played trap-style hockey, they again lost in the Conference Finals to a big-bruising, power forward-laden team.

When was the last time a trap team won the Cup?

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2012, 02:22 PM
noobman

Definitely.

I'm actually a fan of hard-nosed, defensive style hockey. It was painful to watch the small, speedy Maple Leafs get knocked around by teams like the Bruins last year and constantly suffer from huge defensive breakdowns.

It's one of the reasons why I'm such a huge fan of Western Conference hockey... it just seems like their games are more physical and more exciting to watch.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote