HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we the Chicago Cubs of the NHL?

Old
03-26-2014, 10:48 AM
LeafsFIO*

vCash: 500
Are we the Chicago Cubs of the NHL?

I really didn't think it could get this bad, I have watched the Catching Hell documentary countless times because it's a great movie, but I really didn't think the Leafs would be in that downward spiral immediately after a choke job.

There's no way we'll be without a championship and be a perennial last-place team by the 105-year mark, right?

...right?

Those who remember the 2003 Cubs who choked away a late three-run lead to blow their chance probably remember the 2004 Cubs, who looked sure-fired to have home-field advantage, totally choke away the season in the last month.

I for one haven't given up. If they somehow find a way to beat all of Philly, Detroit, Calgary, Winnipeg then sweep the Florida-Ottawa road trip, they're in. Even if (when) they lose in regulation to Boston. It's not likely, but not impossible with such a streaky group.

If the Leafs don't make it this year though, and it's not looking too promising, how crushed will this group be. I don't know how a team re-groups from three consecutive monumental collapsed.

God this team turned into such a ****ing mess.

LeafsFIO* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Suntouchable13

The guy who started the thread that it would take a major choke to miss the playoffs should be treated like Steve Bartman.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:50 AM
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
The guy who started the thread that it would take a major choke to miss the playoffs should be treated like Steve Bartman.
Immortalize that thread, plz.

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:53 AM
LeafsFIO*

Quote:
Ahahaha. Thank you for adding some comedy to such a sad time for Leaf fans.

LeafsFIO* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:57 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
So much arrogance in that thread from a lot of people. It was the perfect jinx thread.

The hockey gods punish us so much. Please make it stop... no more... mercy... mercy...

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Deebo

It would be very stupid to believe that thread had anything to do with the Leafs losing streak.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:10 AM
leafs in five

Cubs hired a team prez and GM, a best in the biz kind of tandem. they seem to have a plan in place to improve. the Leafs make it up as they go along. they have for years.

leafs in five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:13 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Agreed. Right along with the guy who was so sure that our winning despite our crappy defensive play was sustainable.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:16 AM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFIO View Post

God this team turned into such a ****ing mess.

I hate to beat a dead horse - but none of this should be surprising to anyone. Some of us have been preaching this for decades. The writing was on the wall a very long time ago. The majority of you choose to ignore it out of sheer ignorance. Now your all stumbling around asking "how did it happen".

Also the Leafs are in their own league as far as losers go. The cubs and Chicago are all but irrelevant in MLB. The Leafs are supposedly the Mecca of Hockey.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:19 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

Quote:
the owner of the red wings should compensate the thread starter, give them free pizza for life or something

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:19 AM
Nazemlupul

Even worse, were the Toronto Maple Leafs of the NHl

Nazemlupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:20 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazemlupul View Post
Even worse, were the Toronto Maple Leafs of the NHl
Oh god, that is worst.

Old
03-26-2014, 11:24 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I hate to beat a dead horse - but none of this should be surprising to anyone. Some of us have been preaching this for decades. The writing was on the wall a very long time ago. The majority of you choose to ignore it out of sheer ignorance. Now your all stumbling around asking "how did it happen".

Also the Leafs are in their own league as far as losers go. The cubs and Chicago are all but irrelevant in MLB. The Leafs are supposedly the Mecca of Hockey.
Agreed. Some people were asking how this was going to play out the second "the trade" went down. Building a team around Dion and a soft Winger ( as good as he is) is a bad idea. Enough with the quick retools that aren't very quick or very good.

Old
03-26-2014, 11:38 AM
leafs in five

Quote:
i think they were in an okay position after last season to be competitive short term while pursuing some type of long term plan to contend.

the front office misread it, blew cap space on guys meant to compliment a core that isn't good enough to build around. then got to work on re-signing the members of this core that isn't good enough.

Old
03-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Schennanigans

It could be worse, we didn't trade both our goalies like Vancouver at least.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Swervin81
Content Leaf fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
It would be very stupid to believe that thread had anything to do with the Leafs losing streak.
Just like it's very stupid to believe that Steve Bartman was the reason that Alex Gonzalez booted a routine double play ball, Mark Prior imploded, and the Cubs gave up 8 runs in the inning.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:56 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Agreed. Right along with the guy who was so sure that our winning despite our crappy defensive play was sustainable.
Same guy if I'm not mistaken.

egd27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

I see the melodrama still hasn't calmed down.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:59 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Same guy if I'm not mistaken.
Was it? I guess that explains a lot and makes me feel a little better about this fan base.

Old
03-26-2014, 12:04 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
I see the melodrama still hasn't calmed down.
Going from 2nd in the division to out of the playoffs in about 10 days?

What melodrama?

Old
03-26-2014, 12:07 PM
howehullorr

Quote:

I think if you google up something along the lines of longest championship drought for professional sports league you'll find our beloved Buds mentioned.

Cripes we haven't even made it to the dance since 1967.

howehullorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:38 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs in five View Post
i think they were in an okay position after last season to be competitive short term while pursuing some type of long term plan to contend.

the front office misread it, blew cap space on guys meant to compliment a core that isn't good enough to build around. then got to work on re-signing the members of this core that isn't good enough.

When Burke was fired it was the first time I was excited about this teams future - since Early Quinn years.

Nonis said all the right things. Then Nonis did all the wrong things

Old
03-26-2014, 12:49 PM
leafs in five

Quote:
When Burke was fired it was the first time I was excited about this teams future - since Early Quinn years.

Nonis said all the right things. Then Nonis did all the wrong things
i wonder: have the Cubs ever fired a GM and replaced him with an interim GM who had previously been fired by the Cubs? have they ever fired a GM and then replaced him with his assistant GM? and kept the rest of the front office pretty much the same?

looking back it feels silly to have been optimistic. why would the guys who participated in most of the moves made by Burke suddenly look at the team they built together and decide that it wasn't any good?

Old
03-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Going from 2nd in the division to out of the playoffs in about 10 days?

What melodrama?
106 year championship drought > 47 year drought

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:03 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs in five View Post
i wonder: have the Cubs ever fired a GM and replaced him with an interim GM who had previously been fired by the Cubs? have they ever fired a GM and then replaced him with his assistant GM? and kept the rest of the front office pretty much the same?

looking back it feels silly to have been optimistic. why would the guys who participated in most of the moves made by Burke suddenly look at the team they built together and decide that it wasn't any good?
Yeah in hindsight it was foolish. I think I was more excited about new ownership. But were seeing more of the same decisions - with (as unbelievable as it sounds) worse results.