HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread 2012 II: Offseason Harder

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Schenn10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
We weren't much of a contender last offseason either. I think Jagr wants Playing time and money. Nothing wrong with that.
Yea I agree with this. From his quotes to the media and his general attitude, I got the impression that he returned to the NHL last year to prove to everyone that he was still a great player. Kind of like a return for "personal glory." He even said he picked the Flyers because Giroux is Right handed, and gave him the best chance to succeed and score.

I think being respected is a big thing for Jagr, and when his minutes got cut in the playoffs and he was moved off of the Giroux line, he felt disrespected as a player. I also imagine he felt disrespected if the Flyers asked him to resign for the same or less money.

Having another team pay him more money than the Flyers = respect to Jagr.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn10 View Post
Yea I agree with this. From his quotes to the media and his general attitude, I got the impression that he returned to the NHL last year to prove to everyone that he was still a great player. Kind of like a return for "personal glory." He even said he picked the Flyers because Giroux is Right handed, and gave him the best chance to succeed and score.

I think being respected is a big thing for Jagr, and when his minutes got cut in the playoffs and he was moved off of the Giroux line, he felt disrespected as a player. I also imagine he felt disrespected if the Flyers asked him to resign for the same or less money.

Having another team pay him more money than the Flyers = respect to Jagr.
I agree. Jagr still has a chance to finish top 5 in points all time. He won't get there on a competitive team looking to make the playoffs . ON a bad team where he gets ton of ice time he could really put up some pts.

I think this is a good thing for the flyers. Jagr had a good influence on the team last year, but we signed him to sure up our scoring. Turns out scoring wasnt an issue for this team, but defense ( something he doesnt bring) was the issue.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:30 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN

Only thing that Holmgren seemed very certain of ... Carle would be re-signing here.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Krishna

Holmgren this summer :

Old
06-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Prongo
Beer

Homer also said the captaincy will be addressed this year if Pronger can not come back and play.

Now start the rumors of either Briere, Kimmo, or Giroux being named captain. Also start the rumors that Giroux is too young, and we don't want what happened to Richards happen to Giroux. We just have to remember two totally different players and people.

https://twitter.com/RandyJMiller/sta...72042711580672

Quote:
Homer, for first time, says Flyers probably will address captain issue if Pronger can't play next season

Old
06-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Krishna

You know who we should make captain?

Weber

Old
06-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Homer also said the captaincy will be addressed this year if Pronger can not come back and play.

Now start the rumors of either Briere, Kimmo, or Giroux being named captain. Also start the rumors that Giroux is too young, and we don't want what happened to Richards happen to Giroux. We just have to remember two totally different players and people.

https://twitter.com/RandyJMiller/sta...72042711580672
I don't care if its Giroux or Timonen.

But I'd like my team's captain to play hard and effectively on more than 40 percent of the ice, and more than 20 percent of the season--even if it is the most important part, the playoffs.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

Weber
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!

Old
06-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Jtown

Captain/ leadership is one of the most overrated things in professional sports.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I don't care if its Giroux or Timonen.

But I'd like my team's captain to play hard and effectively on more than 40 percent of the ice, and more than 20 percent of the season--even if it is the most important part, the playoffs.
I dont understand what you're trying to imply here? Briere doesn't play hard? Im not sure what you're getting at honestly?

Old
06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Krishna

Quote:
I dont understand what you're trying to imply here? Briere doesn't play hard? Im not sure what you're getting at honestly?
That is what he's implying

Old
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Defensively? No, I don't think he does.

Actually, maybe he does try hard, and he's just that bad at it.

I think he busts his *** in the offensive zone, of course. Neutral zone? Depends on the shift.

Seriously though, I've come to accept Briere for the player that he is. But given this team's poor team defense, I'm not sure that naming a one-way player as captain is exactly the right message.

Old
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Captain/ leadership is one of the most overrated things in professional sports.
I agree, it's overblown by fans and media, and not usually by players in the room. There is always a leadership group within any professional sports team. Giroux would make a fantastic captain, but if something went wrong, Panotch would go straight for the jugular.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:51 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I agree, it's overblown by fans and media, and not usually by players in the room. There is always a leadership group within any professional sports team. Giroux would make a fantastic captain, but if something went wrong, Panotch would go straight for the jugular.
As nothing more than fans, there is no way to know who is a good captain and who isn't. That is a completely internal element of the game of hockey. We all think he is a good leader, etc., but we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. It's not about points, it's not about fan favorites, it's about who the coaches and players look to in the locker room and on the bench and on the ice for leadership. I've said this all before, that may very well be Giroux. It may be Timonen. It may be Hartnell. It may be someone else. But it is silly as fans to talk about deserves it more and who would make a better captain because we have no idea who the team leaders are in the locker room and on the bench (and off the ice for that matter). The only real measurable thing in regards to the captaincy from a fan's perspective is who has done it before and how that turned out. Other than that, and I know people around here don't like to do this, we have to assume that whomever the management selects is the right choice.

Old
06-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Prongo
Beer

Also the Flyers are at 47 contracts heading into this off-season. Does that number include the QO we made? Homer said we made QO's to 6 or 7 guys. We are definitely going to make some minor moves if any to free up some contract space. I believe Harry Z will be one player to go, and maybe MAB.

Old
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Give the C to Shelley..it's the only way to get him out of here ASAP...

Old
Krishna

Quote:

Weber
Good plan

Old
06-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Also the Flyers are at 47 contracts heading into this off-season. Does that number include the QO we made? Homer said we made QO's to 6 or 7 guys. We are definitely going to make some minor moves if any to free up some contract space. I believe Harry Z will be one player to go, and maybe MAB.
If you are just looking to free up contract spaces, there are far better options than those two.

Then again, a starting point might be to stop handing out contracts to guys like Derek Mathers...

Old
06-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
As nothing more than fans, there is no way to know who is a good captain and who isn't. That is a completely internal element of the game of hockey. We all think he is a good leader, etc., but we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. It's not about points, it's not about fan favorites, it's about who the coaches and players look to in the locker room and on the bench and on the ice for leadership. I've said this all before, that may very well be Giroux. It may be Timonen. It may be Hartnell. It may be someone else. But it is silly as fans to talk about deserves it more and who would make a better captain because we have no idea who the team leaders are in the locker room and on the bench (and off the ice for that matter). The only real measurable thing in regards to the captaincy from a fan's perspective is who has done it before and how that turned out. Other than that, and I know people around here don't like to do this, we have to assume that whomever the management selects is the right choice.
During 24/7 it gave us glimpses of what players we have in the locker room and on the ice. Giroux was vocal while on the bench and ice for the Flyers. He directs everyone when on the ice too. He has a great work ethic and tries to be the best player he can be, which is desired in every captain. I agree I don't know what happens in the locker room, but Giroux was reportedly in the "leadership group" with Briere and others that meet with Bryz in mid season to get his head in the right place. That was the reasoning behind saying Giroux would make a fantastic captain.

P.S. I know I know, it's a bit of a stretch, but when the Rangers didn't shake hands with the Flyers while we waited at the end of the ice, Giroux was the one who said let's go, F them. I am paraphrasing a bit there, but the team obviously listens to him. I am confident in saying he is the leader of that room now that Pronger isn't there.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:01 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
http://www.capgeek.com/reserve_lists...4&year_id=2012

It includes them. Hopefully Rowe was not qualified.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
If you are just looking to free up contract spaces, there are far better options than those two.

Then again, a starting point might be to stop handing out contracts to guys like Derek Mathers...
I'm looking to get some assets coming back our way and also freeing up some contract spots. That's why I listed MAB and Harry Z as possibilities. Homer could move them for draft pick most likely. Maybe 3rds, but I don't think they will be regular NHLer's in the careers.

Old
06-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Krishna

Quote:

Is the klotz under contract?

Old
06-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Krishna

Quote:
I'm looking to get some assets coming back our way and also freeing up some contract spots. That's why I listed MAB and Harry Z as possibilities. Homer could move them for draft pick most likely. Maybe 3rds, but I don't think they will be regular NHLer's in the careers.
They would probably get no better than a 5th or 6th.. Hell, for some of the stupid contracts, i'd do future considerations

Old
06-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Is the klotz under contract?
I don't think he is. According to cap geek at least.

Quote:
They would probably get no better than a 5th or 6th.. Hell, for some of the stupid contracts, i'd do future considerations
I would hope maybe for a 3rd rounder for Bourdon. He was drafted there and showed he can somewhat play in the NHL. Harry Z was undrafted, so if we could get some kind of value for him I would be happy. That's just me though, because I really don't think either will be regulars in the NHL

Old
06-18-2012, 02:27 PM
FlyersMania2

I am thinking it's time for a new GM.

A great point was made to me today - our team management is one of the worst in the NHL.

Think about it. The best player on our team is the only underpaid player on our team.

Everyone else we overpay for and/or sign them to life-long contracts.

How is this even possible?

It has to speak for Homer's ability to recognize "aptitude" I guess is the best way to put it. JVR vs Giroux - length of contract, money paid per year and performance.

Says it all.

Closed Thread