HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread 2012 II: Offseason Harder

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-18-2012, 01:08 PM
  #451
Schenn10
Registered User
 
Schenn10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
We weren't much of a contender last offseason either. I think Jagr wants Playing time and money. Nothing wrong with that.
Yea I agree with this. From his quotes to the media and his general attitude, I got the impression that he returned to the NHL last year to prove to everyone that he was still a great player. Kind of like a return for "personal glory." He even said he picked the Flyers because Giroux is Right handed, and gave him the best chance to succeed and score.

I think being respected is a big thing for Jagr, and when his minutes got cut in the playoffs and he was moved off of the Giroux line, he felt disrespected as a player. I also imagine he felt disrespected if the Flyers asked him to resign for the same or less money.

Having another team pay him more money than the Flyers = respect to Jagr.

Schenn10 is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:18 PM
  #452
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 13,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn10 View Post
Yea I agree with this. From his quotes to the media and his general attitude, I got the impression that he returned to the NHL last year to prove to everyone that he was still a great player. Kind of like a return for "personal glory." He even said he picked the Flyers because Giroux is Right handed, and gave him the best chance to succeed and score.

I think being respected is a big thing for Jagr, and when his minutes got cut in the playoffs and he was moved off of the Giroux line, he felt disrespected as a player. I also imagine he felt disrespected if the Flyers asked him to resign for the same or less money.

Having another team pay him more money than the Flyers = respect to Jagr.
I agree. Jagr still has a chance to finish top 5 in points all time. He won't get there on a competitive team looking to make the playoffs . ON a bad team where he gets ton of ice time he could really put up some pts.

I think this is a good thing for the flyers. Jagr had a good influence on the team last year, but we signed him to sure up our scoring. Turns out scoring wasnt an issue for this team, but defense ( something he doesnt bring) was the issue.

Jtown is online now  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:30 PM
  #453
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,553
vCash: 633
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN

Only thing that Holmgren seemed very certain of ... Carle would be re-signing here.

healthyscratch is online now  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:33 PM
  #454
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,163
vCash: 500
Holmgren this summer :

Krishna is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:34 PM
  #455
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,880
vCash: 500
Homer also said the captaincy will be addressed this year if Pronger can not come back and play.

Now start the rumors of either Briere, Kimmo, or Giroux being named captain. Also start the rumors that Giroux is too young, and we don't want what happened to Richards happen to Giroux. We just have to remember two totally different players and people.

https://twitter.com/RandyJMiller/sta...72042711580672

Quote:
Homer, for first time, says Flyers probably will address captain issue if Pronger can't play next season

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:35 PM
  #456
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,163
vCash: 500
You know who we should make captain?

Weber

Krishna is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:37 PM
  #457
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Homer also said the captaincy will be addressed this year if Pronger can not come back and play.

Now start the rumors of either Briere, Kimmo, or Giroux being named captain. Also start the rumors that Giroux is too young, and we don't want what happened to Richards happen to Giroux. We just have to remember two totally different players and people.

https://twitter.com/RandyJMiller/sta...72042711580672
I don't care if its Giroux or Timonen.

But I'd like my team's captain to play hard and effectively on more than 40 percent of the ice, and more than 20 percent of the season--even if it is the most important part, the playoffs.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:38 PM
  #458
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
You know who we should make captain?

Weber
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:38 PM
  #459
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 13,802
vCash: 500
Captain/ leadership is one of the most overrated things in professional sports.

Jtown is online now  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:39 PM
  #460
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I don't care if its Giroux or Timonen.

But I'd like my team's captain to play hard and effectively on more than 40 percent of the ice, and more than 20 percent of the season--even if it is the most important part, the playoffs.
I dont understand what you're trying to imply here? Briere doesn't play hard? Im not sure what you're getting at honestly?

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
  #461
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I dont understand what you're trying to imply here? Briere doesn't play hard? Im not sure what you're getting at honestly?
That is what he's implying

Krishna is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
  #462
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I dont understand what you're trying to imply here? Briere doesn't play hard? Im not sure what you're getting at honestly?
Defensively? No, I don't think he does.

Actually, maybe he does try hard, and he's just that bad at it.

I think he busts his *** in the offensive zone, of course. Neutral zone? Depends on the shift.

Seriously though, I've come to accept Briere for the player that he is. But given this team's poor team defense, I'm not sure that naming a one-way player as captain is exactly the right message.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
  #463
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Captain/ leadership is one of the most overrated things in professional sports.
I agree, it's overblown by fans and media, and not usually by players in the room. There is always a leadership group within any professional sports team. Giroux would make a fantastic captain, but if something went wrong, Panotch would go straight for the jugular.

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:51 PM
  #464
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,349
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I agree, it's overblown by fans and media, and not usually by players in the room. There is always a leadership group within any professional sports team. Giroux would make a fantastic captain, but if something went wrong, Panotch would go straight for the jugular.
As nothing more than fans, there is no way to know who is a good captain and who isn't. That is a completely internal element of the game of hockey. We all think he is a good leader, etc., but we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. It's not about points, it's not about fan favorites, it's about who the coaches and players look to in the locker room and on the bench and on the ice for leadership. I've said this all before, that may very well be Giroux. It may be Timonen. It may be Hartnell. It may be someone else. But it is silly as fans to talk about deserves it more and who would make a better captain because we have no idea who the team leaders are in the locker room and on the bench (and off the ice for that matter). The only real measurable thing in regards to the captaincy from a fan's perspective is who has done it before and how that turned out. Other than that, and I know people around here don't like to do this, we have to assume that whomever the management selects is the right choice.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:53 PM
  #465
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,880
vCash: 500
Also the Flyers are at 47 contracts heading into this off-season. Does that number include the QO we made? Homer said we made QO's to 6 or 7 guys. We are definitely going to make some minor moves if any to free up some contract space. I believe Harry Z will be one player to go, and maybe MAB.

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:53 PM
  #466
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,379
vCash: 500
Give the C to Shelley..it's the only way to get him out of here ASAP...

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:53 PM
  #467
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
You know who we should make captain?

Weber
Good plan

Krishna is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 01:55 PM
  #468
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Also the Flyers are at 47 contracts heading into this off-season. Does that number include the QO we made? Homer said we made QO's to 6 or 7 guys. We are definitely going to make some minor moves if any to free up some contract space. I believe Harry Z will be one player to go, and maybe MAB.
If you are just looking to free up contract spaces, there are far better options than those two.

Then again, a starting point might be to stop handing out contracts to guys like Derek Mathers...

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 02:00 PM
  #469
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
As nothing more than fans, there is no way to know who is a good captain and who isn't. That is a completely internal element of the game of hockey. We all think he is a good leader, etc., but we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. It's not about points, it's not about fan favorites, it's about who the coaches and players look to in the locker room and on the bench and on the ice for leadership. I've said this all before, that may very well be Giroux. It may be Timonen. It may be Hartnell. It may be someone else. But it is silly as fans to talk about deserves it more and who would make a better captain because we have no idea who the team leaders are in the locker room and on the bench (and off the ice for that matter). The only real measurable thing in regards to the captaincy from a fan's perspective is who has done it before and how that turned out. Other than that, and I know people around here don't like to do this, we have to assume that whomever the management selects is the right choice.
During 24/7 it gave us glimpses of what players we have in the locker room and on the ice. Giroux was vocal while on the bench and ice for the Flyers. He directs everyone when on the ice too. He has a great work ethic and tries to be the best player he can be, which is desired in every captain. I agree I don't know what happens in the locker room, but Giroux was reportedly in the "leadership group" with Briere and others that meet with Bryz in mid season to get his head in the right place. That was the reasoning behind saying Giroux would make a fantastic captain.

P.S. I know I know, it's a bit of a stretch, but when the Rangers didn't shake hands with the Flyers while we waited at the end of the ice, Giroux was the one who said let's go, F them. I am paraphrasing a bit there, but the team obviously listens to him. I am confident in saying he is the leader of that room now that Pronger isn't there.

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 02:01 PM
  #470
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Also the Flyers are at 47 contracts heading into this off-season. Does that number include the QO we made? Homer said we made QO's to 6 or 7 guys. We are definitely going to make some minor moves if any to free up some contract space. I believe Harry Z will be one player to go, and maybe MAB.
http://www.capgeek.com/reserve_lists...4&year_id=2012

It includes them. Hopefully Rowe was not qualified.

BillDineen is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 02:04 PM
  #471
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
If you are just looking to free up contract spaces, there are far better options than those two.

Then again, a starting point might be to stop handing out contracts to guys like Derek Mathers...
I'm looking to get some assets coming back our way and also freeing up some contract spots. That's why I listed MAB and Harry Z as possibilities. Homer could move them for draft pick most likely. Maybe 3rds, but I don't think they will be regular NHLer's in the careers.

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 02:05 PM
  #472
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
If you are just looking to free up contract spaces, there are far better options than those two.

Then again, a starting point might be to stop handing out contracts to guys like Derek Mathers...
Is the klotz under contract?

Krishna is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 02:06 PM
  #473
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I'm looking to get some assets coming back our way and also freeing up some contract spots. That's why I listed MAB and Harry Z as possibilities. Homer could move them for draft pick most likely. Maybe 3rds, but I don't think they will be regular NHLer's in the careers.
They would probably get no better than a 5th or 6th.. Hell, for some of the stupid contracts, i'd do future considerations

Krishna is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 02:27 PM
  #474
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Is the klotz under contract?
I don't think he is. According to cap geek at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
They would probably get no better than a 5th or 6th.. Hell, for some of the stupid contracts, i'd do future considerations
I would hope maybe for a 3rd rounder for Bourdon. He was drafted there and showed he can somewhat play in the NHL. Harry Z was undrafted, so if we could get some kind of value for him I would be happy. That's just me though, because I really don't think either will be regulars in the NHL

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 02:27 PM
  #475
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
I am thinking it's time for a new GM.

A great point was made to me today - our team management is one of the worst in the NHL.

Think about it. The best player on our team is the only underpaid player on our team.

Everyone else we overpay for and/or sign them to life-long contracts.

How is this even possible?

It has to speak for Homer's ability to recognize "aptitude" I guess is the best way to put it. JVR vs Giroux - length of contract, money paid per year and performance.

Says it all.

FlyersMania2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.