HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Offseason Thread 2012 II: Offseason Harder

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2012, 12:42 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post

This scared the **** out of me

Thank god it's fake
Holy **** dude. I think my heart skipped a beat before i finished scrolling down to see your description

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
p.s. Despite the fact that you told me it was fake, I must admit to immediately looking up Dreger's twitter...just to make sure
I did too!!! Can't take a chance

Old
06-20-2012, 12:44 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Two North American defensemen: Matthew Dumba and Cody Ceci

European forward: Filip Forsberg. That's immediately what popped into my mind. Come on, people, it's destiny. Hopefully the Flyers would hold on to this Forsberg, too. How would the Flyers get Forsberg? By trading with Brian Burke for the 5th overall pick, perhaps? It's always been reported in the past that Burke likes JVR, and with all the rumblings about him, I could see that deal coming out of nowhere. Sorry, the whole thing just got my mind racing.
i think Forsberg will be gone before 5.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:54 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
I guess we'll just have to wait and see on Friday. Are Faksa and Girgensons even considered European skaters in this draft? Wouldn't they fall under North American skaters because they're playing in North American leagues? At least I always thought that's how it worked.
Central Scouting would consider them North American, but it's not they are usually viewed in general. For example the chief scout for ISS says Gaunce is his top ranked NA forward at 11. Yakupov, Grigs, Galchenyuk, etc are considered Europeans.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:05 AM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post

This scared the **** out of me

Thank god it's fake

My heart stopped for a second.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:05 AM
JABEE

People need to stop quoting an obvious fake.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:46 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

**** you guys. Not cool at 4:45 am.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd do that deal

Old
06-20-2012, 07:46 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Replace Coots with Schenn and i'd be down.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:58 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd be down for that deal so fast.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Psuhockey

Couturier should be untouchable in any deal, even Weber. You do not acquire 1st line centers with size except at the top end of the first round in the draft. If you take out the 2003 draft which was uncharacteristically loaded, there are not too many high end centers coming late in the first round let alone the rest of the draft. Giroux is an anomaly as is Jaimie Benn. Thornton, Malkin, Toews, Staal (Eric and Jordan) all at the top of the draft. Defenseman, even Norris caliber, can be found later. Weber, Yandle, Letang, Chara all were had 2nd round or later. If you want to replace Couturier, you will have to trade into the top half of round 1. Getting a Weber or Yandle is almost luck. The Flyers have lucked into two upper echelon centers in Giroux and Couturier. You do not trade that away for any thing else.

Furthermore, I don't think the Flyers have to add Couturier or Schenn for that matter in any deal. If Anaheim, Columbus, or Nashville can get a better offer of two top 6 forwards with twenty goal pedigree out of Read, JVR, or Voracek let alone the extra picks/prospects, go for it. There were only 101 20goal guys last year, just over 3 per team. So see what other team can offer that much in a trade for one player.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Couturier should be untouchable in any deal, even Weber. You do not acquire 1st line centers with size except at the top end of the first round in the draft. If you take out the 2003 draft which was uncharacteristically loaded, there are not too many high end centers coming late in the first round let alone the rest of the draft. Giroux is an anomaly as is Jaimie Benn. Thornton, Malkin, Toews, Staal (Eric and Jordan) all at the top of the draft. Defenseman, even Norris caliber, can be found later. Weber, Yandle, Letang, Chara all were had 2nd round or later. If you want to replace Couturier, you will have to trade into the top half of round 1. Getting a Weber or Yandle is almost luck. The Flyers have lucked into two upper echelon centers in Giroux and Couturier. You do not trade that away for any thing else.

Furthermore, I don't think the Flyers have to add Couturier or Schenn for that matter in any deal. If Anaheim, Columbus, or Nashville can get a better offer of two top 6 forwards with twenty goal pedigree out of Read, JVR, or Voracek let alone the extra picks/prospects, go for it. There were only 101 20goal guys last year, just over 3 per team. So see what other team can offer that much in a trade for one player.
The downgrade from Couturier to Smith is more than worth using "just" JVR and one first to get Weber--though I would definitely rather swap him for Schenn.

Of course I'd prefer something along the lines of what you propose, but I just can't see us getting Weber without giving up Schenn or Couturier. If one of them has to go, this (completely fictitious) deal is probably the best possible situation for the Flyers: they don't give more than one other piece off the roster, and they get back a center prospect with a comfortable 2C projection.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/NHLwiki/status/215430366792658944

Quote:
‪#NHL‬ *News*-According to Larry Brooks, ‪#NYR‬ Brandon Prust will likely be heading to free agency as the gap remains big in negotiations.
I wouldn't mind him on our 4th line whatsoever. Him and Talbot could make a great PK team too. We need Giroux to rest somewhat and stop taking such big time on the PK for us. I don't know what Prust is looking for though in terms of money.

I wouldn't mind giving him 1.4-1.6. He can jump around like Talbot and play on the third line in the case of injuries.

Last edited by Prongo: 06-20-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old
06-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
The downgrade from Couturier to Smith is more than worth using "just" JVR and one first to get Weber--though I would definitely rather swap him for Schenn.

Of course I'd prefer something along the lines of what you propose, but I just can't see us getting Weber without giving up Schenn or Couturier. If one of them has to go, this (completely fictitious) deal is probably the best possible situation for the Flyers: they don't give more than one other piece off the roster, and they get back a center prospect with a comfortable 2C projection.
Your probably right that without Schenn or Couturier, the Flyers won't be able to acquire Weber. But than I say do they really need him this year at that price? Does he significantly increase their chance of winning a cup this year? I know the answer to the last question is yes on paper but in real life? Getting to the cup is as much luck as it is the team you put on the ice. If Florida doesn't hit the post in overtime one of game 7, the Flyers are playing Florida in round 2. If Daniel Sedin isn't hurt, do the Kings make it out of round 1? My point is that actually winning the cup is about luck of injuries, posts, match ups, and getting a hot goalie at the right time. The Flyers have a good enough team to get into the playoffs at a good seed. It shouldn't give away hard to obtain assets, like top end centers, for a player they could get for cheaper at the deadline or next offseason.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Ryan isn't that much better than Voracek or a healthy JVR or a grown up Schenn. Yet some of you are throwing assets at Anaheim like you need your next fix.

Screw Nash. Screw Ryan. Weber? We will talk, but temper your expectations.

The voice of reason. Our forwards are fine. We need to upgrade the defense.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:49 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Think Meltzer mentioned this as well and ridiculed Holmgren for trying to obfuscate this fact..

Quote:
Dustin Leed via twitter: The Flyers have met with a few players and informed them that they may be interested in trading up to select them

Old
06-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Think Meltzer mentioned this as well and ridiculed Holmgren for trying to obfuscate this fact..

Now if we could only get the names of the players they were looking at.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post

I hope this is true because it means no Wilson.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Now if we could only get the names of the players they were looking at.
He said two north American defensemen and 1 european forward. The defensemen I have no clue since there are so many but the forward I would guess would be Forsberg. Forsberg and Teravainen are the only two euros in the top ten, and Teravainen is small.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:16 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
He said two north American defensemen and 1 european forward. The defensemen I have no clue since there are so many but the forward I would guess would be Forsberg. Forsberg and Teravainen are the only two euros in the top ten, and Teravainen is small.
I could see holmgren wanting to select dumba. He seems like a Paul holmgren type of player to me.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Yep, I saw he mentioned that, but it leaves it open to speculate with quite a few players. Teravainen is a player I covet. He is the same size of Giroux and is the youngest player in the draft. He is a top 5 talent, and has been impressing scouts all year.

Carolina is one team I think is interested in trading down. I don't know if Anaheim is, but there fan base is going a little crazy right now with all the Ryan rumors.

Dumba, Reinhart, Reilly, and Trouba. I would prefer Reinhart and Dumba out of those four.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Yakupov
Galchenyuk
Grigorenko
Forsberg
Teravainen
Faksa
Girgensons

are all European forwards they could move up to get.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Yakupov
Galchenyuk
Grigorenko
Forsberg
Teravainen
Faksa
Girgensons

are all European forwards they could move up to get.
I took the quote to mean playing in Europe but your right.

Also, real question: are Russian forwards considered European or are they considered Russian?

Old
06-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I took the quote to mean playing in Europe but your right.

Also, real question: are Russian forwards considered European or are they considered Russian?
European, but I do think it is doubtful they would target one of the Russians.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
If we're talking about moving up, how would you folks feel about trying to move up while keeping the 1st rounder we have (either through trading Voracek's rights or future draft picks). It would be a major coup if they could pull of some kind of deal and land Forsberg and still get a defender in the first round.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:43 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Trading a high-potential forward (vanRiemsdyk, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds, Read) to draft any forward other than Yakupov would be the stupidest move in franchise history at best (minus Eminger), and even with Yakupov involved its still not very bright. i.e. Trading Voracek to draft Forsberg.

Closed Thread