HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All Things Parise Thread (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

vCash: 500
I thought that the farewell party for the team was yesterday?

Old
06-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Another thing this leaked figure might do, is prevent more teams from making ("reasonable") offers to Parise. They might think, "well we have no shot, why bother making an offer." So it could end up with Lou's 6.75mil (or whatever) offer versus Wild's 9mil whereas without the "leak" it could have been 5 teams (NJ included) offering 6.5 to 7.5, thus setting something of a "market value" in that range and making the Wild's offer an anomoly.

But geez, imagine if he does sign a $9mil contract with the Wild? How long before the fan's start *****ing "We're paying HOW MUCH for a 30g35a man??"

Old
06-15-2012, 03:31 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
The league and it's "spirit" of the CBA along with NHL Constitution and the bylaws can impose whatever they deem fitting. It's like military court and operates outside the US legal system with it's own system of justice. That's why they have all those documents.

We know that better than most teams.

That said, the real stinger here will probably come out of the confidential NHL constitution, not the CBA or even NHL rules because it is the document that trumps all others.

Here is a link to a leaked copy of the constitution bylaws. Just reading the language and the far reaching terms leads me to believe if there's any implication of improper contact, direct or indirect, they can jump all over them.

assistant to; or representative thereof

also for the hearesay arguments; there are plenty of exceptions to that defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearsay...say_exceptions

including;

So just by the offering of the conversation via hearsay, if the contents of that conversation result in a belief of truth, it is admissible as evidence. That's the US legal rules of procedure, and thus can easily be incorporated by the NHL for use in applying by-law 15 if they want to.

So in closing, Your honor, my client can't possibly be guilty....

Minny is in hot water right now, IMO. Just because there aren't any "official" reports doesn't mean the NHL and Bettman aren't doing an investigation....

Old
06-15-2012, 03:37 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Roast View Post
Minnesota should have the Wild taken from them again if an investigation finds wrongdoing.
A new First Place for most ridiculous comment in this thread.

Quote:
Also, media types such as the ones we have been hearing about would not be reporting unless they've been given the green light by the team.
False*

*This isnt Russia, is it Danny?

Old
06-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke3026 View Post
But geez, imagine if he does sign a $9mil contract with the Wild? How long before the fan's start *****ing "We're paying HOW MUCH for a 30g35a man??"
Probably sooner than they realise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Minny is in hot water right now, IMO. Just because there aren't any "official" reports doesn't mean the NHL and Bettman aren't doing an investigation....
If there is tampering involved, it won't be found by next week. The NHL takes forever to investigate this stuff, if they even investigate it at all.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
A new First Place for most ridiculous comment in this thread.

False*

*This isnt Russia, is it Danny?
I am going on a wild guess here that you have no idea what "sarcasm" is?

And my second comment is not out of the norm. I have several friends who work in sports journalism and media in general, and it's well known that many media writers are frequently used by sports teams to get things out in the public to gauge reaction or in fact, generate one.

But, hey I guess I have my first admirer/stalker on these boards. Nice to make your acquaintance!

Old
06-15-2012, 03:51 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

If something would be worth talking about, Lou would be all over this instead of "average Joe's" on a message board. If Lou isn't doing anything, that's because there's nothing that needs to be done.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
If something would be worth talking about, Lou would be all over this instead of "average Joe's" on a message board. If Lou isn't doing anything, that's because there's nothing that needs to be done.
Nobody ever knows what Lou is doing. You think he's going to tell TG if he's pissed about the Wild and their tampering rubbish?

Old
06-15-2012, 03:56 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 237
I doubt Lou's going to tip his hand one way or the other unless the Wild DO sign Zach.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:57 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:

And my second comment is not out of the norm. I have several friends who work in sports journalism and media in general, and it's well known that many media writers are frequently used by sports teams to get things out in the public to gauge reaction or in fact, generate one.

But, hey I guess I have my first admirer/stalker on these boards. Nice to make your acquaintance!
Normally I'd get the *sarcasm*, but the 2nd comment was so dumb that I assumed the first was serious too. And I wasnt the only person who didnt *get* the sarcasm, i.e. perhaps I'm not the problem.

As for stalking? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I doubt Lou's going to tip his hand one way or the other unless the Wild DO sign Zach.
Lou is so secretive, that we may not find out even if the Wild do sign Parise.

Frankly, I dont think it matters. This is such an affront to NHL rules that I think the NHL will get involved, with or without Lou.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Nobody ever knows what Lou is doing. You think he's going to tell TG if he's pissed about the Wild and their tampering rubbish?
He's going to wait and see who they draft before anything.

I doubt it's anyone like Scott Stevens though...

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Old
06-15-2012, 04:00 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Just get rid of july first if youre going to allow this garbage to go on..

Old
06-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
none of what has been said by these Wild people bothers me one iota.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:02 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
Here's the thing though. Parise's agent isn't stupid. Suter's agent isn't stupid. Parise and Suter aren't stupid. Both those guys know they're the most sought after guy at their position this year, and they know who has the cap space and what offers could look like even if those teams stayed Lou style silent about everything. I'm certain that well before any of that information about the Wild came out, Parise had made up his mind about whether to take it to July 1st or not. And as I've said before, I don't see the Wild getting a huge punishment even if this was considered tampering. I'd expect more along the lines of a fine and that would be it.

I'm not trying to be a dick, it just seems like since the Kovy punishment some fans are hell bent on another organization getting slapped so we can say "at least it happened to them too."

So that's it, I'm out. Tampering, not tampering, I don't care anymore. I just want Parise re-signed. So until he is, Imma go talk about the draft.
A) We could have 'guessed' the Wild would make the highest offer, but would anyone have forecast 10-90 or higher before these stories started coming out? It's one thing to know there's going to be an offer, it's another to have the parameters laid out of what exactly it is.

B) You're darn tooting we want to see consistency from the league. We got punished severely for violating the spirit of a rule that never existed, and other teams didn't (even after the Kovy thing...there wasn't an eye batted at the Ehrhoff contract). There's already a TON of circumstantial evidence that the Wild are violating the spirit of the tampering rule by doing everything in their power to tamper without actually going to a microphone and saying things themselves.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:04 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Of course not but I see people really freaking out as if there's a clear violation or something If something's there, Lou will be all over it, that's what I ment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
none of what has been said by these Wild people bothers me one iota.
Same here. People are stating the obvious. "I'll throw a **** load of money at Parise", talk about caughing up a secret.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:04 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Lou is so secretive, that we may not find out even if the Wild do sign Parise.

Frankly, I dont think it matters. This is such an affront to NHL rules that I think the NHL will get involved, with or without Lou.
And not for nothing, Lou's not going to be the only one teed off about this nonsense. The Wild basically took half the league out of the bidding with their illegal preemptive strike (non-playoff teams that would look to sell Zach on a high contract won't even get to make a pitch without looking silly in comparison to this public Wild offer...even if they did make a similar offer, they wouldn't be able to sell the hometown angle). The other half of the league that isn't out of the bidding on sight knows they have to increase their offer significantly or cash their chips in.

Last edited by NJDevs26: 06-15-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old
06-15-2012, 04:10 PM
JackedDevilsFan*
Sign Suter&Garrison!

Guys I am hearing from my sources that Parise is going to sign with one of these 5 teams:

New Jersey, Toronto, San Jose, Minnesota, or The Capitals

It is a (J4)

Old
06-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
He's going to wait and see who they draft before anything.

I doubt it's anyone like Scott Stevens though...

We'll just take Charlie Coyle instead.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Same here. People are stating the obvious. "I'll throw a **** load of money at Parise", talk about caughing up a secret.
No, of course it was never a secret that they are going to go after him, but there's a difference between saying that and saying "we will not be outbid for him." Also, the numbers involved should have been a secret, but now we have multiple sources reporting them. That is tampering.

Ideally, until noon on July 1, Parise should have no idea which teams are interested in him, nor any idea of what they are prepared to offer. I understand in practice it never works that way (guys always have an idea of what teams will be after them), but the Wild deliberately leaking the details of their offer is taking it a bit far.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Devils86

Quote:

Bill Madden was GeorgeSteinbrenners spokes man thru the press for 20 years.
Also a 9 mil cap hit will be crushing against a new cap number which will not be 70.3 mil. The team will be bad a long time.

Could you imagine Wild sign Parise for the 9/90 The cap ceiling under the new arrangement stays the same or goes down slightly(I have heard that the owners are willing to raise the floor if the ceiling gets slightly lowered) The Wild realise what a terrible contract it is and use the one amnesty clause on it.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:23 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I never really understood why players couldn't be signed the following day after awarding the cup?

Just seems useless to add more weeks for nothing, especially after the draft. Let's say a team is able to sign Parise before the draft to a lifetime deal, their needs might change drasticaly with the players available on that draft board.

I didn't see the #'s thrown by the Wild, what are they?

Old
06-15-2012, 04:24 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

the wild have done nothing wrong imo. and they arent doing anything that hasnt been done before. but now that everyone has a twitter and a bookface and geocities page, everyone has an opinion and an inside scoop. well, get the hell off my damn lawn and keep the racket down, dammit!

Old
06-15-2012, 04:26 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
$9million for 10 years. Requires a new word for 'overpayment'.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
this seems like a good post for me to poop on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
the wild have done nothing wrong imo. and they arent doing anything that hasnt been done before. but now that everyone has a twitter and a bookface and geocities page, everyone has an opinion and an inside scoop. well, get the hell off my damn lawn and keep the racket down, dammit!

Old
06-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
I never really understood why players couldn't be signed the following day after awarding the cup?

Just seems useless to add more weeks for nothing, especially after the draft. Let's say a team is able to sign Parise before the draft to a lifetime deal, their needs might change drasticaly with the players available on that draft board.

July 1 is the date because it's a fixed, unchanging date. Starting free agency the day after the Cup is awarded would result in league years of varying length, and that's no good.

It also gives teams a period for exclusive negotiating rights (when they aren't undercut by other teams in the media, that is), and that's a positive thing for teams who want to keep their free agents.

Closed Thread