HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The All Things Parise Thread (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 10:33 AM
BrodeursCups
Almost showtime...

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
and neither does he. he does not work for the Wild.
Doesn't matter. He has ties to the organization which you don't. So no, it's not the same thing.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:34 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Doesn't matter. He has ties to the organization which you don't. So no, it's not the same thing.
I don't really care enough to look into the story but does he have concrete evidence the Wild told him this?

Old
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Unless he's completely lying about talking to the Wild owner and GM last week, he knows the situation and has apparently seen their offer. He might not work for the Wild, but he is still connected in hockey, and the timing of this is incredibly suspicious. As a proponent of Minnesota hockey, he has an interest in seeing Parise go to the Wild.

It's not a huge deductive leap to think that the Wild management deliberately put him up to it to say what they couldn't.

Old
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
if i went on the radio and said that the Wild GM told me something, does it mean its true?

it does not mean its true. its called "hearsay"
It's more than "hearsay" when there are entire elements and details around it coming from the very top of the Wild organization from a person close to said people at the very top of the Wild organization.

If the NHL allows this to go unpunished (i.e. if this is considered an acceptable "go around" of the July 1 rule), then they may as well completely get rid of FA timeline rules and tampering offer regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Maybe, but Parise said it could get done before July 1, and DeBoer was quick to say he might not make UFA.
He's making UFA now! lol

Which was another point I made in my email to Daly. That this decreases any probability of a pre-July 1 signing, and that this unquestionably drives up the bidding process of not just the Devils likely initial offer, but other suitors offers as well. There are damages here, whether Minnesota signs him or not.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:35 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Maybe, but Parise said it could get done before July 1, and DeBoer was quick to say he might not make UFA.
If it get's done before that, whatever opposing Gm's have to say will be irrelevant anyways.

I don't think it'll get done in the next 2 weeks and if it does get done before the july 1st deadline, Parise isn't playing his cards right. He has a one in a lifetime shot at breaking the bank here and if he waited all this time, I just don't see why he wouldn't wait a extra 14 days to actually see what's out there.

I would do the same thing if I were in his situation, and so would everyone else IMO.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Who cares !!!

Zach isn't signing before july 1st, period. The Rangers can say they'll throw a Richards type deal his way and I wouldn't be a tad nervous.

He'll get 30 offers in two weeks, so what teams are saying now will have no impact on our negotiations come july 1st. If the guy waited 11 months and 2 weeks... one would think that a extra 14 days is the route he's about to take.

No?

Be it lip service or not, Zach has indicated that he'd be willing to negotiate with Lou at any time. Even prior to July 1st.

But, let's let anybody circumvent clear-as-day rules based on our own speculation as to what Zach will do.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Who cares !!!

Zach isn't signing before july 1st, period. The Rangers can say they'll throw a Richards type deal his way and I wouldn't be a tad nervous.

He'll get 30 offers in two weeks, so what teams are saying now will have no impact on our negotiations come july 1st. If the guy waited 11 months and 2 weeks... one would think that a extra 14 days is the route he's about to take.

No?
Don't you think thru channels he already has a pretty good idea what these numbers are. Maybe not exact structure or years but the numbers there. So say its 62 million.(Richards got 59) To make that work it has to be 9-10 years. He already knows this. The Devils come up with 55. A 7 million dollar difference over 9 years or 777K a year. He asks himself is it worth 800K a year to go somewhere else and start a new.

This contact isnt just for him,this is where he will put down roots. Probably have kids, spend an entire decade. If the answer to that Q is no...I can definatly see him signing before July 1st.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I just can't for the life of me understand why you are all so hung up on this. who cares what that guy has to say? did you think teams weren't going to line up and offer a huge deal?

you all realize how hard tampering is to prove, right?

Old
06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Saying he has no ties to the Wild is like saying Bruce Driver has no ties to the Devils lol.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:40 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
Don't you think thru channels he already has a pretty good idea what these numbers are. Maybe not exact structure or years but the numbers there. So say its 62 million.(Richards got 59) To make that work it has to be 9-10 years. He already knows this. The Devils come up with 55. A 7 million dollar difference over 9 years or 777K a year. He asks himself is it worth 800K a year to go somewhere else and start a new.

This contact isnt just for him,this is where he will put down roots. Probably have kids, spend an entire decade. If the answer to that Q is no...I can definatly see him signing before July 1st.
Why sign now when 29 other offers will come his way in 14 days, that's what I don't get from posters suggesting he'll probably sign before hitting the market.

If you're about to sell your house (and no, it's not on fire... it's actually in tip-top shape ) and you have a single offer thrown your way but your agent (don't know the term in english) tells you that a **** load of client might call you in 14 days to give other offers, would you sell right away or see what's on the market other then your only proposal?

I'd wait and see but that's just me.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:41 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
If it get's done before that, whatever opposing Gm's have to say will be irrelevant anyways.
False.

I gather you've never been to an auction.

Old
Devils86

Quote:

Ya, there's no way we're going to make the highest offer to him. I just hope that everything he has said about wanting a winner and appreciating everything the Devils have done for him is real.

Also, there's a poster in the trade board Parise thread who doesn't believe me when I said that Parise's fiancee is a teacher in NJ and would prefer to stay. Since you actually know her, maybe you could back me up?
We have a good mutual friend who worked in the same school system as Alicia. She and Alicia are close and we are pretty friendly with her. I've only met Alicia in passing. The first time being when I said wow that teachers hot...and got that Parise's fiance.

Old
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
If the NHL allows this to go unpunished (i.e. if this is considered an acceptable "go around" of the July 1 rule), then they may as well completely get rid of FA timeline rules and tampering offer regulations.
I fully expect Bettman to fine the Devils $5 million and two 1st round draft picks for developing a player of such caliber as to provoke other teams to tamper.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
I think BG is right that the Wild were up too dirty tricks with Nanne saying what he said, BUT he is not an employee anymore, the Wild found a loop hole.

06-14-2012, 10:44 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Huge offer is a nebulous term, a little different than specifying blank check and that he can own the team lol. Or at least saying they won't be outbid more or less suggests blank check.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:46 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
False.

I gather you've never been to an auction.
Parise signing before july 1st is just wishfull thinking from our fanbase and would bet my HF account it won't happen, so whatever is said today will have no repercution in our negatiations 14 days from now... cause that's when they'll start talking IMO.

Zach and his agent are no dummies. They'll test the water, see what's out there and give Lou the chance to match. If it's too high for his taste, he'll move on just like he did with Raffy, Martin, Gomez, Gionta, etc, etc, etc.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
I don't really care enough to look into the story but does he have concrete evidence the Wild told him this?
No, just his word that he is close with their owner. But I see no reason for him to spout this stuff unless they put him up to it.

Quote:
I just can't for the life of me understand why you are all so hung up on this. who cares what that guy has to say? did you think teams weren't going to line up and offer a huge deal?

you all realize how hard tampering is to prove, right?
Yes, but they shouldn't be allowed to trumpet the size of their offer before July 1, and make no mistake, that's what they're doing here. It does interfere with the Devils' ability to negotiate exclusively with their own player.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
I think BG is right that the Wild were up too dirty tricks with Nanne saying what he said, BUT he is not an employee anymore, the Wild found a loop hole.
So they should be punished too then, amirite?

Old
06-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Why sign now when 29 other offers will come his way in 14 days, that's what I don't get from posters suggesting he'll probably sign before hitting the market.

If your about to sell you house (and no, it's not on fire... it's actually in tip-top shape ) and you have a single offer thrown your way but your agent (don't know the term in english) tells you that a **** load of client might call you in 14 days to give other offers, would you sell right away or see what's on the market other then your only proposal?

I'd wait and see but that's just me.
He's why,,and its a good example cuase I've sold more than my share of homes...We bought a fixer in 2000. sold it in 2003. We knew the value of the house from the market was about 300k. We had already found a new house where we live now and wanted to buy. We got an offer of 305K from someone who knew us. Could we have gotten 310. 320..maybe but might have taken a while. I took the 305 and we were done no work no hassle. Plus ZP contract will be over 9-10 years so its the structure thats going to be more a sticking point than the $$$. If you find a place you want to be a few more dollars to go some where else shouldn't matter. To many athletes end up in places they dont want to go because of every last dollar. this is the decision Parise has to make.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Parise signing before july 1st is just wishfull thinking from our fanbase and would bet my HF account it won't happen, so whatever is said today will have no repercution in our negatiations 14 days from now... cause that's when they'll start talking IMO.
I doubt that. Lou will start negotiating with him before that. It might not get done before July 1, but to say that Lou won't even talk to him before he hits the open market is probably not correct.

Old
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Just so we're all on the same page - this is article and the quotes we're all referencing.

“No one is going to outbid the Wild” for Parise, says former Minnesota GM Nanne

Quote:
“I had dinner with [Wild owner] Craig Leipold on Wednesday night,” Nanne said. “I know Chuck Fletcher and Leipold really want Parise, and what Craig told me is how hard he’s going to go after him, and the kind of money he’s going after him [with] — I don’t see how Parise’s not coming here.

“I can tell you this: No one is going to outbid the Wild. So if Parise goes somewhere else, you can bet he’s going for less money. What I said is, ‘the kind of money that they’re going to offer him, he might as well just come here and own the team and in his later years, win the Stanley Cup as an owner.”

When it came to actual dollars, Nanne wasn’t ready to reveal what Leipold told him, but suggested the offer is going to be huge.

“In confidence of him, I’m not going to say the figure — but it’s going to be plenty. It is going to be a lot more than I ever expected and you will find out, because once July 1st comes, you’ll be aware of the numbers.

“It is going to be so substantial that I cannot see Zach Parise turning it down.”
Edit: So it's not just some guy speculating aimlessly on the air about what the Wild will do. He's stating things that were directly told to him by Wild management. It's tampering with a middle man. Loop hole, for sure. But still... ******.

Last edited by manilaNJ: 06-14-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Huge offer is a nebulous term, a little different than specifying blank check and that he can own the team lol.
That's the other funny thing here that's so obvious Nanne is involved, he knows EXACTLY what to say and how far to go and not to go.

He refused to say the exact figures, because that's something that could definitely be used to bolster the NHL's case for tampering (i.e. a pre release of the exact offer terms), but then he says it's more money than he ever dreamed possible and that Parise could own the Wild. Lol.

Old
BrodeursCups
Almost showtime...

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
I'd be willing to bet discussions begin after the weekend..

Old
06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
I doubt that. Lou will start negotiating with him before that. It might not get done before July 1, but to say that Lou won't even talk to him before he hits the open market is probably not correct.
Don't ge me wrong, Lou will try and talk to Parise or his agent as often as possible before the deadline, I agree on that part but there's no way he's signing anything before july 1st.

We'll just have a slight advantage over the competition by giving him our offer 1st, before the 29 other teams can and that's about it.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Probably? That's the dumbest comment to date in this thread, and there have been some doozies. There's no way Lou waits until 9am on July 1 to pick up the phone. What?

Closed Thread