HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Realistic players to target in free agency and trades this offseason

Old
06-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Realistic players to target in free agency and trades this offseason

It's that time of the year again; we're only less than a month away from July 1st and the offseason is quickly approaching. Obviously it doesn't begin until the SCF is over and done with, but we usually have a thread like this every year around this time and I figured it was about the right time to start it up again.

So, being as realistic as possible (odds are we aren't getting Suter or Parise, or any big names like we did last summer), what moves do we make this summer? Which players do we target, either via free agency or trades? Which of our own current players do we re-sign and which ones do we let walk on July 1st?

To start this off, I don't think we'll be adding any big names in free agency this year at least. Maybe in trades, but I don't see us landing any huge UFAs this year. In free agency, I'd like to add important bottom 6 players. Ideally, we're probably looking for at least one bottom 6, defensive center capable on faceoffs and maybe a winger. If we add players as such, I'm hoping they're players that bring size, toughness, and/or energy to our team. Playoff experience, leadership, or players with Stanley Cup rings are also very welcome.

So, for centers that match my description, the ones on the top of my wishlist are Chris Kelly, Gregory Campbell, or Jarret Stoll. I think any of those three guys would be really nice. Kelly's a 20+ goal scorer and one of the better defensive centers and PKers in the League. Has become a leader and has won the Cup. Campbell is willing to drop the mitts, is also good on the PK, and would come decently cheap. Also a Cup winner. Stoll can put up offensive numbers, is another good PKer, and is two games away from winning the Cup. He also made it to the SCF with Edmonton in 05-06, so he has a lot of playoff experience and leadership. Jay McClement is also a possibility, but he's not the greatest on faceoffs and doesn't have much physicality or toughness to his game. As for wingers, I'd like Travis Moen or Cody McLeod. Moen's gritty, a good PKer, and a good energy guy. Won the Cup with Anaheim in 06-07 and will drop the mitts often. McLeod is also a guy willing to fight and has taken a leadership role up. He's an ideal gritty 4th line winger capable of playing hockey.

Of course, there's always a chance we can sign Gaustad, but I wouldn't count on it too much. I think he's happy in Nashville.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:53 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

I've hopped on to the Jay McClement train. Him on a line with Gerbe and Kaleta, or with Pominville protecting a lead with a minute to play?

I like that idea.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
I've hopped on to the Jay McClement train. Him on a line with Gerbe and Kaleta, or with Pominville protecting a lead with a minute to play?

I like that idea.
i like to think i started the Jay McClement train

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:57 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
What Zip had to say about Halpern sounded good as well. I was gonna cruise through the usage charts a bit more heavily to find more options for a 3rd line shutdown center but I don't wanna go through 70 pages on a mobile device.

Old
06-03-2012, 08:02 PM
joshjull

To add some extra info while you ponder offseason moves

Forwards

Leino/Roy/Pommer
Foligno/xxxx/Stafford
Tropp /Hodgson/Vanek
Gerbe/Ellis/McCormick

Ennis and Kaleta are RFAs

Adam most likely starting in Rochester with Sundher.

Maybe Catenacci surprises in camp but most likely he will be in juniors for another season.

Defense

Regehr/Sekera
Leo/Myers
Ehrhoff/Sulzer
Weber

McNabb likely to start in Rochester with Pysyk and JGL.

Brennan is a RFA

Goalies

Miller
Enroth

With that group of 11 returning forwards (of the 12 starting spots), 7 NHL dmen and 2 goalies we would have 11mil in cap space left based on the projected 70.3mil upper limit recently reported and being used on Capgeek. More than enough to re-sign Ennis and Kaleta with plenty left over to make some moves.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:08 PM
joshjull

Quote:
What Zip had to say about Halpern sounded good as well. I was gonna cruise through the usage charts a bit more heavily to find more options for a 3rd line shutdown center but I don't wanna go through 70 pages on a mobile device.
Are we even going to have a 3rd line shutdown line?

Old
06-03-2012, 08:12 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
I brought him up in the speculation thread a long time ago...though I sorta just name-dropped him, didn't really go all gung-ho or anything.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:18 PM
joshjull

Quote:

Old
06-03-2012, 08:21 PM
LGB24

Jim Slater is also another realistic option

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:30 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Are we even going to have a 3rd line shutdown line?
I guess I should say "Center who can consistently match against top 6 competition and occasionally contribute offense.". Probably someone to play with Gerbe/Tropp/Kaleta.

Old
06-03-2012, 08:30 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
It's that time of the year again; we're only less than a month away from July 1st and the offseason is quickly approaching. Obviously it doesn't begin until the SCF is over and done with, but we usually have a thread like this every year around this time and I figured it was about the right time to start it up again.

So, being as realistic as possible (odds are we aren't getting Suter or Parise, or any big names like we did last summer), what moves do we make this summer? Which players do we target, either via free agency or trades? Which of our own current players do we re-sign and which ones do we let walk on July 1st?

To start this off, I don't think we'll be adding any big names in free agency this year at least. Maybe in trades, but I don't see us landing any huge UFAs this year. In free agency, I'd like to add important bottom 6 players. Ideally, we're probably looking for at least one bottom 6, defensive center capable on faceoffs and maybe a winger. If we add players as such, I'm hoping they're players that bring size, toughness, and/or energy to our team. Playoff experience, leadership, or players with Stanley Cup rings are also very welcome.

So, for centers that match my description, the ones on the top of my wishlist are Chris Kelly, Gregory Campbell, or Jarret Stoll. I think any of those three guys would be really nice. Kelly's a 20+ goal scorer and one of the better defensive centers and PKers in the League. Has become a leader and has won the Cup. Campbell is willing to drop the mitts, is also good on the PK, and would come decently cheap. Also a Cup winner. Stoll can put up offensive numbers, is another good PKer, and is two games away from winning the Cup. He also made it to the SCF with Edmonton in 05-06, so he has a lot of playoff experience and leadership. Jay McClement is also a possibility, but he's not the greatest on faceoffs and doesn't have much physicality or toughness to his game. As for wingers, I'd like Travis Moen or Cody McLeod. Moen's gritty, a good PKer, and a good energy guy. Won the Cup with Anaheim in 06-07 and will drop the mitts often. McLeod is also a guy willing to fight and has taken a leadership role up. He's an ideal gritty 4th line winger capable of playing hockey.

Of course, there's always a chance we can sign Gaustad, but I wouldn't count on it too much. I think he's happy in Nashville.
I agree with your point about not going after big name free agents but man are you off the mark with your description of Chris Kelly. He is average defensively, average at faceoffs, not big and not physical. He isn't someone I would be relying on to anchor a shutdown line. He's not a 20+ goal scorer, he's someone thats scored 20 goals once in his career. He is a good PKer but thats hardly a need on this team. And what exactly are you basing him becoming a leader on?

I apologize for jumping on you but I've never understood the fixation with him.

I like your options for bottom 6 toughness with wingers Moen and McCleod.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-03-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 08:33 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I guess I should say "Center who can consistently match against top 6 competition and occasionally contribute offense.". Probably someone to play with Gerbe/Tropp/Kaleta.
I asked because it would impact who we target. I'm guessing they target a two way center to play with Leino/Pommer and thats certainly not going to be the McClements and Kellys of the world.

Old
06-03-2012, 08:35 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
He was another guy I mentioned, but I believe the consensus was that he was likely to re-sign in Winnipeg.

Old
06-03-2012, 08:48 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
He was another guy I mentioned, but I believe the consensus was that he was likely to re-sign in Winnipeg.
Don't you get the vibe from Darcy that they will be looking to go after a higher end defensive center than the likes of McClement and Slater when they address center this offseason? Particularly if we have read their intentions to move Roy correctly.

Old
06-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I had a feeling about Steve Montador a few years back, and got that one right. I had a feeling about Carlo Colaiacovo two years ago and got that one wrong. I didn't know what the hell to expect last summer, so I didn't bother guessing.

This year, I have a feeling about Lee Stempniak. Right Wing is far from a need in this organization, but I don't think they're going to just hand a roster spot to Tropp. I'd like to see Tropp develop a little more before he gets a full-time gig, and depth is not a bad thing. Stempniak has turned himself into a solid two-way player, who can score at ES--a very reasonable ES pts/60 of 1.72 and 1.71 in the last two seasons--and doesn't require PP time. He can also contribute on the PK. His wheels are good, as well.

Just a hunch. I think we'll bring in a 4th line center. My guesses are, in order: 1) Dom Moore; 2) Jay McClement; 3) Jeff Halpern.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:26 PM
McTank

The way I see it we have leopold and roy expendable and will have lines like...
Leino-XXX-Pommers
F-E-S
Vanek-CoHo-XXX
Gerbe-XXX-Kaleta

Myers-Rej
Hoff-Salts
McNabb-Regher

Miller
Enroth/XXX

So we're probaby targeting a top 6/two way center, a top 6 winger, a 3rd/4th line defensive center and possibly a backup goalie(unlikely)
I think for the top 6 center the main target is staal, but others like pavelski,marleau,briere,hanzal could be targeted. For the winger a guy with potential like JVR, setoguchi, kulemin, etc. Someone like McClement/Moore for the 4C.
Possibly target a D like hammer too. And of course the ever so slight possibility of the dominator returning

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:29 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
The way I see it we have leopold and roy expendable and will have lines like...
Leino-XXX-Pommers
F-E-S
Vanek-CoHo-XXX
Gerbe-XXX-Kaleta

Myers-Rej
Hoff-Salts
McNabb-Regher

Miller
Enroth/XXX

So we're probaby targeting a top 6/two way center, a top 6 winger, a 3rd/4th line defensive center and possibly a backup goalie(unlikely)
I think for the top 6 center the main target is staal, but others like pavelski,marleau,briere,hanzal could be targeted. For the winger a guy with potential like JVR, setoguchi, kulemin, etc. Someone like McClement/Moore for the 4C.
Possibly target a D like hammer too. And of course the ever so slight possibility of the dominator returning
CoHo 3rd line? After being traded from the Canucks for being on the 3rd line?

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:33 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Ruff runs his lines much more evenly than they do in Vancouver. Plus, he'll get pp time.

He was getting 12-13 minutes a night with limited pp time in Vancouver, and he'll probably get 16-17 here.

Why make a big deal about it?

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:37 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Ruff runs his lines much more evenly than they do in Vancouver. Plus, he'll get pp time.

He was getting 12-13 minutes a night with limited pp time in Vancouver, and he'll probably get 16-17 here.

Why make a big deal about it?
I see it as being a 2A-2B-2C setup basically. The top 3 lines would get rolled fairly evenly at ES.

Either way, one of Pominville, Vanek/Hodgson, or Ennis would end up on the "third line", there's no way of ordering it that will make people happy. "You can't put our best offensive player in Pommer on the 3rd line!" "Did you see how Ennis played? How can you put him on the third line!" etc.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:50 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Put it in whatever order you want, playing with vanek hes gonna get top 6 ice time

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:52 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
He's going to be playing with Vanek often (and probably Gerbe too). I doubt he complains too much.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
Slater would be a good one too. I didn't think of him off the top of my head. However, I'd be shocked if he didn't re-sign with the Jets. It seems he likes it there and they love him there; he's a fan favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I agree with your point about not going after big name free agents but man are you off the mark with your description of Chris Kelly. He is average defensively, average at faceoffs, not big and not physical. He isn't someone I would be relying on to anchor a shutdown line. He's not a 20+ goal scorer, he's someone thats scored 20 goals once in his career. He is a good PKer but thats hardly a need on this team. And what exactly are you basing him becoming a leader on?

I apologize for jumping on you but I've never understood the fixation with him.

I like your options for bottom 6 toughness with wingers Moen and McCleod.
I've always been a fan of Kelly, so my opinion of him may be a bit biased. I do understand he's not a physical guy by any means. He's not a guy who will usually hit or scrap. I still think he's above average defensively and true, he's not the best faceoff man out there. He's not a consistent 20 goal scorer, but did score that amount and got opportunities to play higher up in the lineup with the injuries to the Bruin forwards this year. I don't think you want him on your 2nd line every night, but with increased minutes and responsibility, he can fill in there and produce if necessary. He's a guy that doesn't look totally out of place jumping up in the lineup if need be. Again, he shouldn't be expected to be in the top 6 regularly; he is ideal for the 3rd or 4th line. A good PKer is always nice to have; I don't think you can have enough guys that can PK on your roster. As for the leadership, this team has had leadership questions in the past and I don't think you can ever have too much of it.

No need to apologize though. Kelly could be overrated by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I had a feeling about Steve Montador a few years back, and got that one right. I had a feeling about Carlo Colaiacovo two years ago and got that one wrong. I didn't know what the hell to expect last summer, so I didn't bother guessing.

This year, I have a feeling about Lee Stempniak. Right Wing is far from a need in this organization, but I don't think they're going to just hand a roster spot to Tropp. I'd like to see Tropp develop a little more before he gets a full-time gig, and depth is not a bad thing. Stempniak has turned himself into a solid two-way player, who can score at ES--a very reasonable ES pts/60 of 1.72 and 1.71 in the last two seasons--and doesn't require PP time. He can also contribute on the PK. His wheels are good, as well.

Just a hunch. I think we'll bring in a 4th line center. My guesses are, in order: 1) Dom Moore; 2) Jay McClement; 3) Jeff Halpern.
Actually, wasn't Colaiacovo rumored to be of interest to the Sabres before he re-signed with the Blues a few years ago? That's what I heard at least. He unfortunately never hit the market so we were out of luck that summer.

I don't mind Moore, but I don't know if we'd realistically bring him back. I also don't know if he'd even want to come back. Halpern wouldn't be an awful option; I would rather have someone younger though. He's getting up there, but if we didn't have any other options, I wouldn't mind him I suppose.

Another guy I just thought of, pending on if he even makes it to the market, is Jordin Tootoo. Of course, we'd have to get Sylvester's approval first.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:32 PM
DJN21

Hard to explain my perfect off-season before the draft occurs because so much could happen....we could draft 4 young guys, we could unload players like roy and leopold and move up...we could trade those guys with our picks for a true #1 center....just so many ways too go.

If...if, if we somehow shed salary in the form of roy and or leopold before FA begins Id obviously throw money at Parise....if not, honestly I'd sit tight conserve money and wait til next offseason basically making minor changes...

Sign Carkner...sign Konopka...resign Ennis & Kaleta

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:48 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
Hard to explain my perfect off-season before the draft occurs because so much could happen....we could draft 4 young guys, we could unload players like roy and leopold and move up...we could trade those guys with our picks for a true #1 center....just so many ways too go.

If...if, if we somehow shed salary in the form of roy and or leopold before FA begins Id obviously throw money at Parise....if not, honestly I'd sit tight conserve money and wait til next offseason basically making minor changes...

Sign Carkner...sign Konopka...resign Ennis & Kaleta
The thing is if we go by the 70 mil salary cap we have enough room to throw a huge deal Parise's way and still sign Ennis and Kaleta.

Not that I see it happening.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:08 PM
DJN21

Quote:
The thing is if we go by the 70 mil salary cap we have enough room to throw a huge deal Parise's way and still sign Ennis and Kaleta.

Not that I see it happening.
that 70 mill is a summer cap though to my knowledge...no one knows whatll happen with the cba....you cant throw around wreckless money just to see the cba stuff go south...gotta be smart.

id rather let the new cba go into effect, play conservative, and go hardcore pegula next offseason which has potential to be the best FA market ever..

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote