HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Darcy's fabeled low-seed prognostication

Old
06-20-2012, 01:54 AM
Squantosawuss

vCash: 500
Darcy's fabeled low-seed prognostication

For a while, we've been hearing about the sage prediction by Darcy that a 6,7 or 8 seed may win the Cup.

Many, like myself, believed he was really just saying that to make Sabre fans feel like the team really had a shot if they could just squeeze into the playoffs.

So after an 8th seed won the Cup for the first time...ever....some are really patting Darcy on the back---as if he wasn't just talking about the East, which apparently he was, but rather the entire league! How did he know!

Well, I just heard Darcy in the past day say that when he talked about a low seed maybe winning this year, he really had HIS OWN TEAM in mind. ZOINKS!

As far as I'm concerned, any hockey-psychic cred Darcy had went right out the window. That was just a ridiculous statement and should make Sabre fans quake in their boots.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:17 AM
heartsabres*

Agenda? Any point to this post?

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:23 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Agenda? Any point to this post?
I know saying someone has an "agenda" is supposed to invaildate their opinion, but isn't the whole world of messageboards about opinions---and by your insinuation, agendas?

Old
06-20-2012, 05:33 AM
HiddenInLight

Cool story bro....what's your point? Why are we supposed to care? Of course the GM of a team is gonna say we have a shot at the cup......

HiddenInLight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:52 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

I bet if they got in as the 8th seed they would have beaten L.A. in the finals.

#alsoprobablynot

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:17 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

A GM confident about his own team? WHAT A NEWS FLASH.

Listen man. We all know you hate Darcy. We also know that you could get a bad steak at dinner one night and find a way to blame that on Regier too.

Give it a rest man. You're trying to hard.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:31 AM
Clock

So, Darcy insinuates that a low seed can win the cup (which is an obvious truth), the #8 goes on and does that... so we should be mad at him?

Help me understand, I feel like I'm missing something.

Last edited by Clock: 06-20-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
This thread makes my head hurt. A lot of anti-Darcy talk popping up in the last week. Seems fans get really hyper/nervous/angry this time of year.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:06 AM
gallagt01

What else is he going to say?

"My team sucks, we aren't going to contend"?

Of course not. You stand by your team and the decisions you made in creating that team. This thread is stupid.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 07:52 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
I know saying someone has an "agenda" is supposed to invaildate their opinion, but isn't the whole world of messageboards about opinions---and by your insinuation, agendas?
There is no point to your post and if you want to post about your opinion then you should atleast have a point with some facts to back it up, otherwise you have an agenda. I dont even know you but the other posters agree you are anti-darcy. The guy has done well IMHO.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:01 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Here's the actual quotes:

Quote:
Schopp: The first thing we'd like to ask you about is... the LA Kings. Now, you mentioned, on our show in February or March, that you felt like this could be a year where a low-seeded team could win the Stanley Cup. Did it play out the way you were thinking? How about that?

Regier: Probably more lucky than anything, but it was, it seemed... I remember that conversation, it did seem like a possibility. Just that type of year.

Schopp: Were you thinking of it in terms of your team at the time?

Regier: I was. It would make sense to do it that way. But I think that the margin for error... the margin of one team to another, or the best teams to the lesser teams, it's not what it once was. So I think that ... and injuries were playing a big role in our hockey club but other teams around the league as well.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:33 AM
punkr0x

Seems like at the time he originally said it, the Sabres were just starting to rebound from being the worst team in the east. A lot of people felt that they were better off tanking and getting a high draft pick rather than possibly getting into the playoffs only to get bounced by a high seed. The Sabres were not built anything like the LA Kings of this year, but it just goes to show that it is possible to win the cup as a low seeded team, and it is always worthwhile to try to make the cut.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:39 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
For a while, we've been hearing about the sage prediction by Darcy that a 6,7 or 8 seed may win the Cup.

Many, like myself, believed he was really just saying that to make Sabre fans feel like the team really had a shot if they could just squeeze into the playoffs.

So after an 8th seed won the Cup for the first time...ever....some are really patting Darcy on the back---as if he wasn't just talking about the East, which apparently he was, but rather the entire league! How did he know!

Well, I just heard Darcy in the past day say that when he talked about a low seed maybe winning this year, he really had HIS OWN TEAM in mind. ZOINKS!

As far as I'm concerned, any hockey-psychic cred Darcy had went right out the window. That was just a ridiculous statement and should make Sabre fans quake in their boots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Here's the actual quotes:
Quote:
Quote:
Schopp: The first thing we'd like to ask you about is... the LA Kings. Now, you mentioned, on our show in February or March, that you felt like this could be a year where a low-seeded team could win the Stanley Cup. Did it play out the way you were thinking? How about that?

Regier: Probably more lucky than anything, but it was, it seemed... I remember that conversation, it did seem like a possibility. Just that type of year.

Schopp: Were you thinking of it in terms of your team at the time?

Regier: I was. It would make sense to do it that way.
But I think that the margin for error... the margin of one team to another, or the best teams to the lesser teams, it's not what it once was. So I think that ... and injuries were playing a big role in our hockey club but other teams around the league as well.
Ugh. This admission after I just moved half my 401(k) to Darcy's investment firm...

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:51 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Ugh. This admission after I just moved half my 401(k) to Darcy's investment firm...
Good North American investment firm. They don't do too much with Russia though.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:58 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Good North American investment firm. They don't do too much with Russia though.
Good point, I heard they overvalue their assets, are reluctant to sell, and usually make some moves around March 1 which rise up for a couple weeks, then head down in a hurry.

I could move the $ to Squantosawuss' firm, "Don't Troll me Bro" Investors.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
He did not say that the low seed is preferable in all situations, just that his opinion for this year was a lower seed could finally be a Cup winner due to various circumstances.

06-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
A GM confident about his own team? WHAT A NEWS FLASH.

Listen man. We all know you hate Darcy. We also know that you could get a bad steak at dinner one night and find a way to blame that on Regier too.

Give it a rest man. You're trying to hard.
Wow, imagine so many people tracking the opinions of little ol' me!

In REALITY, I don't even post much about him---so you must have me confused with those who really do obsess over Darcy. Oh, I'm sure somebody with too much time on their hands is now gonna tabulate all my Darcy posts vs. posts in total ---and if you do that, make sure the post was ABOUT Darcy, not just mentioning his name.

Fact is, a reasonable person WOULD take exception with R&R, so stop criticizing those who do. Not everybody has the long-term love affair with these two that many excuse-makers here seem to have.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:07 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

In REALITY, I don't even post much about him---so you must have me confused with those who really do obsess over Darcy. Oh, I'm sure somebody with too much time on their hands is now gonna tabulate all my Darcy posts vs. posts in total ---and if you do that, make sure the post was ABOUT Darcy, not just mentioning his name.

Fact is, a reasonable person WOULD take exception with R&R, so stop criticizing those who do. Not everybody has the long-term love affair with these two that many excuse-makers here seem to have.
So, you're then accusing anyone who doesn't share your opinion lockstep as being 'unreasonable'?

I also find it amusing that there isn't a single post in this thread supportive of your position on this, yet you chose to come after me about it.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 03:37 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
It's not fabled. He said it and we repeated it.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:27 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
If you faxed your information in, it might not be too late...

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 04:34 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:

so now it is about Ruff and Reiger. Regier makes a predictions gets it right and now you drag ruff into it...Bucky is that you?

Old
06-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I also find it amusing that there isn't a single post in this thread supportive of your position on this, yet you chose to come after me about it.
Since there were soooo many ridiculing me, I just hit reply to nobody in particular to respond. You were just the lucky winner.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:38 PM
LGB24

Ok so you have a problem with R&R and so you choose to blast Regeir over a measly statement such as this one? You criticize other posters who have too much time on your hands yet you wasted your time making this ridiculous thread.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote