HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Richards and Carter

Old
06-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Richards and Carter

First of all, congrats from a Flyers fan!

Now, down to business. I have been assured by some Flyers fans that Richards and Carter had little to do with your team's victory. In fact, they say Carter was bad most of the time and pretty much invisible. They tell me that the Kings could have made the playoffs without them and contended, and had nothing to do with the Cup victory. I am told that they were inconsequential.

This confuses me, because I was under the impression (what with all the games I watched) that this is the opposite of what is true. So what is it Kings fans? Were Richards and Carter vital contributors? Or were they passengers, lucky to be allowed to ride the coattails of Quick, Brown, Doughty and Kopitar?

06-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

vCash: 500
Richards and Carter were absolutely vital, every player on this Kings team made a difference in them winning the cup. I'm pumped we have them both for a very long time and now that they have proved so many people wrong they can live their lives and play hockey without all this doubt and nonsense weighing them down. I think we're going to get much better hockey players next year and that's ****ing scary.

EDIT: Btw, Schenn and Simmonds ****ing rock too so I'll be rooting for them in the east. Giroux is also ungodly good.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Omni Owl

We couldn't have done it without them.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Tell your buddies that the Kings couldn't have done it without them...

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BringTheReign

Sounds like some very jealous Flyers fans. Carter and Richards were both key in this run. While Carter may have cooled off at times, the Penner-Richards-Carter line as a whole brought it night in and night out. Richards was, well, Richards. He plays his best when everything is on the line and he did so the entire playoffs.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Shellz

They honestly can't think that. There is no possible way. If they do, they are just bitter bitter fans. They were huge for the Kings. There is no other way to put it. I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain something to them when they can just watch. I feel bad for them.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
Carter had two game winning goals in the Stanley Cup Finals and a hat trick against Phoenix. I'd say he was pretty damn necessary.

Richards was humongous in the first two series and still had his moments in the last two. Absolutely vital.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:34 PM
bobafettish*

carter with two gwg in the finals.
richards has been nails all playoff long.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Carter lead the entire league with 8 Playoff goals. Including 3 GWG, 2 of those coming in the Final.

Mike Richards set the entire tone of the Kings Playoff run in game 1 of the first round. He took control of the game in Vancouver and the rest of his teammates followed his balls-out attitude.

I couldn't be happier that we have both these guys locked up forever.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:39 PM
jml87

Haha, I saw this argument on the Flyers board.

Carter and Richards were a big part of the Kings winning. You can say that anyone was invisible for some games in the playoffs. Even Kopi and Brown had bad games, but that's when other players stepped up, including Carter and Richards.

For instance, the first line was outstanding in game 1 against Phoenix. The next game Phoenix tried to put more focus on the first line and Richards line came out with Carter scoring a hat trick. Quick is amazing and we wouldn't have won without him, but we also wouldn't have won with just Quick either.

This was the best postseason from Carter I've seen. Defensively and offensively he really brought it. The two of them were leaders in the locker room as well. Just the little things like Richards pushing Brown ahead in the handshake line with Phoenix to keep him from getting into a fight. To say he and Richards were passengers is hilarious. They weren't the reason the Kings won, but I don't think the Kings win without them.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Quattro

as a Flyer fan, you should know by now that some Flyer fans are delusional idiots

Carter and Richards were essential to the Kings success.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:48 PM
KingsFan7824

Richards set a tone for the team in Game 1 against Vancouver that didn't stop until last night. They never trailed in a series after that first game, and went up 3-0 in every series after that first game. That's insane, but somehow it happened. Richards didn't carry the team, but the Kings aren't where they are right now without him.

Getting Carter at the deadline was a second wind. He can go quiet at times, but one flick of the wrists, and the Kings were in a position to win Game 2 in OT against the Devils.

Neither guy was the reason the Kings won. They were a big part of the reason though. There's never a passenger on a team that wins a Cup.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:57 PM
FlyersFan61290

Honestly I think many Flyers fans and Philadelphia sports fans in general are short sighted, immature morons. Im really glad Richie and Carter made a difference for you guys. With that said i want to say congratulations and best of luck to you guys going forward.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:11 PM
SLang

No Carter / Richards = no Cup.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:11 PM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Any hockey fan who watched the Kings playoff run cannot say, in any way, shape or form, that Rick and Carts had NOTHING to do with it.

Even then, it was really a TOTAL team effort - 20 players on the bench in any given night.

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Richards and Carter were vital to the success of the Kings.

No everyone is going to be a beast for all 20 games. Even Quick had some off nights, but the team was there to pick him up and limit the chances against.

Richards and Carter play all 200 feet and scored some huge goals for the Kings. Richards was huge in the first 2 series and Carter was huge in the last 2. Hell of a second line with Penner all playoffs.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:29 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

If Richards and Carter were not in the lineup, the other team's D would have been able to focus more on Kopi-Brown-Williams, and vice versa. Spread out the skill, and you make the other teams have to account for that somehow.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

It's easy to love Richards but we even love Carter now, if that tells you anything. Carts singlehandedly won a key game vs Phoenix for us, dominating the third period and again in OT against NJ.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:36 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

They were both essential to the Cup

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
It's easy to love Richards but we even love Carter now, if that tells you anything. Carts singlehandedly won a key game vs Phoenix for us, dominating the third period and again in OT against NJ.
Carter was the missing piece. A guy who can be invisible for 59 minutes and still put the game away with one shot. A sniper who actually back checks.

He ended game 2 with a great play in OT and he had the 4th goal last night with a laser shot to end any thought of a come back from NJ.

Plus he seems to make Richards happy.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:48 PM
jml87

I was really impressed by Carter. I don't think I've ever seen him play better. He really wanted this, to prove to people that he wasn't a detriment to his team in clutch situations.

Look, trading the guy is one thing. But lying to his face and tricking him into signing for a lower cap hit, I would never be able to support that. I'm really happy that Carter ended up in LA after everything he went through this season.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:52 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Good god... they must be kidding. Richards enabled Stoll to slot into the 3rd line center role where he belonged. In every series when the Kopitar line was stopped, the Richards line had all the opportunities, and vice versa. Richards was huge.

Carter boosted the goal scoring #'s and was a big body who could play wing where the Kings were thin. Without Carter the Kings would have likely missed the playoffs. The scoring took off when Carter joined. Richards was on the team all year - during the goal scoring drought.

There's no way - zero - that the Kings win the Cup without Richards or Carter. They don't even make the playoffs without Carter.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:59 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

They were a tier under Kopitar and Brown obviously, but they were key components for sure. Carter really took off in the last two rounds and Richards had a tremendous series against Vancouver and was a steady contributer all through the playoffs.

I wouldn't say the cup was won their backs but it's a team game and they played a big part in that team.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k7 View Post
Carter had two game winning goals in the Stanley Cup Finals and a hat trick against Phoenix. I'd say he was pretty damn necessary.

Richards was humongous in the first two series and still had his moments in the last two. Absolutely vital.
Carter also assisted on Dustin Penner's OT game winners in Game 1 against Vancouver and Game 5 (clincher) against Phoenix. So that brings him to 3 GWG in the playoffs plus two game winning assists. Guy only scores in blowouts though.

Bitter Flyers fans are hilarious. Both of those guys were critical pieces to the win. When Kopi/Brown/Williams weren't having a good game, Richards/Carter/Penner seemed to pick up the slack and vice versa.

What I still don't get and probably will never understand is why the Flyers fans are bitter or dislike players that were traded away to which they had no control over. What exactly are the Flyers fans mad about?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:25 PM
losingsand

the best pass richards ever made to carter was last night...when it was the stanley cup

losingsand is offline   Reply With Quote