HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New AHL affiliation with Syracuse

Old
06-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchrulz View Post
Welcome to Syracuse!
Let me add to what has been mentioned and say we are very glad to be added to the Tampa Bay family. Going to be a bit of an adjustment for everyone, but we are looking forward to a good relationship.
The rink here in Syracuse is smaller than regulation. The building is old, with the fans being very close to the ice and the noise levels can be very loud as the ceiling is low as well. There are several rinks in the area for the team to use if the War Memorial at Oncenter is not available, including one at the Onondaga nation Arena which one visiting AHL coach commented is one of the best surfaces they have used anywhere.
As for the fans, we are loud and loyal. We dont expect to win every game, just put forth an honest effort. Over the past four seasons, the teams here in Syracuse had long stretches where they just seemed to not give a rats rear about their effort as long as they got paychecks. The last two years, the team did not wake up until after the first of the year, then played strong.
News coverage is usually weak at best. Most of the local coverage is devoted to the teams from Syracuse University, meaning news for either the Crunch or the Chiefs (Washington AAA baseball farm team) is found somewhere after page three in the local fish wrap or as a filler on the TV stations.
Our owner is unique, but has done a lot to keep the team in Syracuse. He is a "showman", but loyal to the team and the community. Like him or hate him, he speaks his mind.
As for myself, been following hockey in Syracuse since the mid 70s. Seen teams and league come and go. I will give you an honest opinion of the team and coaches, good or bad. If you want sugar coated reports all the time, dont read mine.
July 2nd the Crunch are announcing their new look in merchandise and for the team. Al the Ice Gorilla is supposed to be sent back to wherever he came from (thankfully), so a new mascot should be announced as well.
Again, welcome to Syracuse and we look forward to the upcoming season.
I see you are new to the Tampa Bay organization. Sugar coating will not be necessary.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:53 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
I have not followed this that much but what were the reasons for the move? Seems the AHL affiliates changes all the time (not just for us), why is this?

Always been curious/confused about this as it's not a system we have in Europe, must be tough for the Norfolk fans seeing their cup team leave.
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/06/admi...-syracuse-team
Quote:
"We have no problem with the city, with the arena, with ownership of the Admirals," he said. "I think (the travel) makes a huge difference in the wear and tear on the players. A good night's sleep on a regular basis is important."

Syracuse offers day trips to many AHL Eastern Conference cities, allowing players to return home after games. BriseBois estimated the Crunch spent 26 nights in hotel rooms, fewer than half that of the Admirals.

Because it is geographically removed from the rest of the conference, Norfolk spends more time on buses than other teams, frequently traveling to three-day weekend series by leaving Hampton Roads at midnight Wednesday, then arriving in a place such as Albany or Glens Falls, N.Y., just in time for breakfast and practice Thursday.

"That's not quality practice time," BriseBois said. "That's just getting the rust off your body. You're not doing teaching sessions. You're not getting improvement. You're just going through the motions, more or less, because your body is so depleted."
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...racuse-norfolk
Quote:
But the Lightning wanted its top minor league affiliate to travel less during the season, which, by the way, also will cut down on costs.
Quote:
moving up from Norfolk, to get on a bus (for a road trip), sleep on a bus and then play three games in three nights, that's too much wear and fatigue which increases the risk of injury and doesn't allow the team to improve."

Old
06-15-2012, 02:04 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

"...doesn't allow the team to improve."

Yup, just a fluke.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 06:07 AM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pyatt View Post
"Al the Ice Gorilla"?

WHY WERE WE NOT INFORMED OF THIS EARLIER

Last edited by X0X0A0: 06-17-2012 at 06:13 AM.
X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 08:41 AM
LightningCRUNCH Fan

Welcome to the Syracuse CRUNCH, who hasn't won a Calder Cup in 18 Years

As everyone has been saying Welcome to Syracuse, we look forward to working with you, I try to update whenever possible, last time I updated was November last season, I will try harder this year, I go to some games and listen to others so I look forward to providing you updates throughout the season, which I hope this won't happen but if there's no National Hockey League Season, American Hockey League will be the only thing I watch, I try to keep up with the National Hockey League team too, so we look forward to working with you, I rooted Norfolk all the way to the Calder Cup, I hope to do the same for Syracuse.

LightningCRUNCH Fan is offline   Reply With Quote