HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I. 2012 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Where will we pick for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft?
1st-5th 1 1.96%
6th-10th 4 7.84%
11th-15th 23 45.10%
16th-20th 22 43.14%
21st-25th 1 1.96%
26th-30th 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2011, 02:01 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
I. 2012 NHL Entry Draft

The 2011 one was the only one I could find, so I figured I'd go ahead and make this. If there's another, I apologize in advance, just lock this and link me up if possible.

I have no idea where we're gonna finish at this point. If this keeps up, I'd imagine 16-24 if we're lucky. But I think we'll end up being closer to the 16th. For now, I'll assume we hit 16th exactly.

The position I think we need to look for most is center, but I wouldn't want to reach for one, either.

Girgensons is obviously my favorite of this draft, and if we could snag him somehow, that'd just be amazing. He seems like a guy who might fall to around there, or he could even work his way into the top 5. Just depends on how his season goes. I think later on with a one-two punch of Benn and Girgensons, we'd be up there with the best of the league in top 2 centers. Grigorenko and Galchenyuk and better, but they're pipe dreams at this point and unless we take a huge tumble, I wouldn't count on either of them. Athanasiou is a guy who reminds me a lot of Ribeiro, and could even be his replacement with those sick hands. A bit of a reach, but I think he could be a serviceable 2-a center down the road. Marcantouni looks decent as well, but I don't know a ton about him yet, so I can't say for sure.

This draft seems to be pretty strong on defense though, and we could use another d prospect with some offensive flair. We don't need a guy like that nearly as much as a center, but he sure could help. I'll just ignore Ebert, Murray, etc. as I highly doubt we'll pick them up. Reinhart is a big, offensive d-man who I think could compliment a guy like Fistric (or Nemeth) very well. Matheson might be a reach, but he's looked solid so far and has some impressive numbers. Schmaltz is a guy who seems to be pretty high in most rankings, but I know nothing about him.

Wingers are something we really don't need at this point, but if one is the BPA by far, I say go for it. Frk and Aberg both impress me, and I think they could be a great help to the top 6 in 3-4 years. But I would prefer not to go after a winger.

Goalies? No. No more goalies please.

Any thoughts? I'll try and keep up a list of prospects a lot of us seem to be interested in as well.

Potential Picks:
Girgensons
Gaunce
Faksa
Reinhart
Reilly
Collberg
Ceci
Maatta

Draft Picks
Round Picks
1st 13th Overall
2nd 43rd Overall, 60th/61st Overall (From LA, through Philly)
3rd 74th Overall
4th 104th Overall
5th 134th Overall, 144th Overall (From Florida)
6th None
7th 194th Overall

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 05-30-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old
12-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

This thread needs a poll for where we think we might finish. Just a suggestion.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
12-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Are you trying to provide scuba Steve wit materials?

Old
12-13-2011, 02:32 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Assuming we only have one. Went ahead and just did groups since it's too early to tell, but we'll get a bit of an idea.

Thanks for the suggestion. never would've thought of that.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
Are you trying to provide scuba Steve wit materials?
My life goal is to provide more material for Steve.

Old
12-13-2011, 02:58 PM
txomisc

I think we'll just miss the playoffs again. It definitely looks like a d heavy draft and a guy like Ebert (who seems to be slipping) could actually be around when we pick. I'd really like Trouba but that seems like a pipedream. Ideally the best available player when we pick will be a center. Brenden Gaunce seems like he would be a great pick if he were available but I think alot of people expect him to rise in the draft rankings. Can't find alot of info on the guy but Brian Hart sounds like a guy who would be a nice target. Kerdiles and Samuelsson would also be interesting. Finally Tanner Pearson was passed over in last years draft and is just tearing up the OHL. Theres been some talk that he could actually be a first round pick.

Old
12-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Went with the safe (and popular) pick, 16th-20th.

12-13-2011, 08:44 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Goalies? No. No more goalies please.
? They definitely need to draft a goalie this year somewhere. Assuming Bachman pushes Raycroft out of the picture soon that means we'll have 2 goalies in the system not on the NHL squad. That's unacceptably low. Most teams have 4 or 5.

edit: Oh, are you only talking about the 1st round here?

Old
12-13-2011, 08:56 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
? They definitely need to draft a goalie this year somewhere. Assuming Bachman pushes Raycroft out of the picture soon that means we'll have 2 goalies in the system not on the NHL squad. That's unacceptably low. Most teams have 4 or 5.

edit: Oh, are you only talking about the 1st round here?
Yea, I was mostly referring to the 1st-2nd rounds. I really don't know much at all about any prospects after that, but we definitely need at least one more guy with (hopefully) Raycroft leaving.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Lots of high potential players are having really disappoitning years so it be nice if we can get a couple second round picks.

I think we'll pick in the late teens though.

Old
12-14-2011, 12:02 AM
WhoahNow

I would like to see the Stars take a goalie in rounds 4-7 maybe two. As for the rest I would like them to concentrate on centers and LWs. Defence is looking pretty stocked at the moment. It's hard to predict where we are going to end up drafting so I'm trying to keep my eyes out for lots of players. I wonder how far a guy like Alex Galchenyuk will fall seeing as he has yet to play a game this year.

Old
12-14-2011, 12:06 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoahNow View Post
I would like to see the Stars take a goalie in rounds 4-7 maybe two. As for the rest I would like them to concentrate on centers and LWs. Defence is looking pretty stocked at the moment. It's hard to predict where we are going to end up drafting so I'm trying to keep my eyes out for lots of players. I wonder how far a guy like Alex Galchenyuk will fall seeing as he has yet to play a game this year.
See Connolly and Cowen in recent history among others .... they don't fall much if at all unless the injury appears to have a potential long term impact.

Cowen also had an ACL tear as well. He went about has high as you'd expect regardless of the injury.

Old
12-14-2011, 12:24 AM
DMaz16
@DMaz16

I doubt Girgensons will be around at the 16-24 spot he'll probably be around the 5th-7th forward taken... I think this is definitely a Best Player Available kind of year... I agree that it would be nice to get a centre but I wouldn't draft guys like athanasiou and marcantuoni if one of the plethora of puck moving D falls.... If one of Trouba, Reilly, Ceci, Koekkoek, or Pouliot is available I'd take them over any centre not named Galchenyuk or Girgensons... and thats not even including wingers like Frk, Aberg, and Collberg.... If we draft based on BPA we probably won't be getting a centre in the first

Old
12-14-2011, 01:27 AM
WhoahNow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
See Connolly and Cowen in recent history among others .... they don't fall much if at all unless the injury appears to have a potential long term impact.

Cowen also had an ACL tear as well. He went about has high as you'd expect regardless of the injury.
How many games did they get to play that year before they were injured? My thinking was anyone who wants to draft Galchenyuk would have to go to scouts who saw him last year. That being said I can't really see him dropping out of the top 10 and the Stars drafting him, I was just more curious to see where he will end up.

Old
01-02-2012, 05:09 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I was talking to a guy who's an OHL scout, and asking him who he thought would be a good pick for the Stars (15th-25th overall; gritty, 2-way play, preferably a big center) and Brendan Gaunce was one guy he said would be a great pick. Went to watch some of his games, and he does play well in both ends, and always seems to give it 100%. He's got a pretty good offensive game, too. Needless to say, baring a huge cup run or an epic collapse, he's my frontrunner for our realistic 1st rounder right now.

Old
01-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I was talking to a guy who's an OHL scout, and asking him who he thought would be a good pick for the Stars (15th-25th overall; gritty, 2-way play, preferably a big center) and Brendan Gaunce was one guy he said would be a great pick. Went to watch some of his games, and he does play well in both ends, and always seems to give it 100%. He's got a pretty good offensive game, too. Needless to say, baring a huge cup run or an epic collapse, he's my frontrunner for our realistic 1st rounder right now.
Screw it lets just trade Glennie and our first to trade up for Girgensons... id like to get read of that Prospects who are Scott Glennie section in the prospects thread

Old
01-03-2012, 02:33 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Sounds like Girgensons might be falling pretty hard based on the WJC. Unless he has a spectacular rest of the season in the USHL, we might be able to snag him. It'll still be a steal unless we suck or he falls even harder, but a lot more likely now.

Gaunce is rising pretty rapidly, though.

Old
01-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Latvia was horrible.He wont fall because of that.

Gaunce doesnt impress me offensively. We need a high offensive prospect.

Old
01-04-2012, 01:08 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Colllllllbbbbberrrrrggggggg

Want.

Old
01-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Dallasman

I'd be a happy camper if one of those nice Swedish forwards fell to us but they look too good to fall that far, if we stay where we are currently in the standings.

Old
01-04-2012, 02:49 PM
DMaz16
@DMaz16

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Colllllllbbbbberrrrrggggggg

Want.
Agreed he was a beaut to watch live

Old
01-07-2012, 09:17 PM
TheGuyFromThere
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm obviously not impartial but if what LatvianTwist said is true about the Stars needing a D with offensive upside than Ceci would be a good pick. He should be a mid-rounder right about where the Stars might be picking and his offence is seriously underrated. Great 2-way guy that adapts to whatever the team needs.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:27 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Shot View Post
I'm obviously not impartial but if what LatvianTwist said is true about the Stars needing a D with offensive upside than Ceci would be a good pick. He should be a mid-rounder right about where the Stars might be picking and his offence is seriously underrated. Great 2-way guy that adapts to whatever the team needs.
Yea, Ceci seems pretty solid, but I don't think he'll be available unless we really suck.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:31 PM
TheGuyFromThere
HFBoards Sponsor

Could go either way in my opinion, it might not have exactly helped his draft stock to be left off team Canada for the U20's, even though he was right there.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Top 10 piiiiiiiick

Closed Thread