HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Wilderness & First Round Bust Present: Wild Prospect Handbook 11/12 Season Rev

Old
06-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

vCash: 500
Hockey Wilderness & First Round Bust Present: Wild Prospect Handbook 11/12 Season Rev

Writers from Hockey Wilderness and from First Round Bust took some time out of our daily lives to produce this digital magazine.

Inside you have:
  • Wild Top 15 Prospect Rankings
  • 2012 Draft Preview
  • Top 5 Minnesota Draft Eligibles
  • Mock Draft done as a collective
  • Houston Aeros season review
and more!

Download here

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'…toile du Nord

vCash: 1100
So... This will be a monthly thing, right?

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Great job!

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Looks pro. Great work.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'…toile du Nord

Some comments!
  • Nate: Keep using "en fuego" when you write. It could be your trademark phrase.

• On Coyle's prospect summary: "It is fair to say that his departure did good things for his development as he was able to play more games and tougher competition." While it's true he played more games, and the QMJHL is arguably a better league for developing offensive skills, I really don't think it's fair to say that Coyle was playing against tougher competition.

• I love hearing about Haula. Such a feel-good story. Hopefully he becomes a successful NHLer.

• It's really nit-picky (sorry), but Nick Seeler is listed as a center.

• I could see us snagging a Minnesota native in the 2nd or 3rd round. Seems like Minnesota's producing a lot of defensive depth-type players, which you can never have enough of.

• Houston's going to be awesome next year... I'm a little jealous.

• Very interesting mock draft. Not sure I see us taking Koekkoek with #7, but I'm sure some posters (Generic User) wouldn't mind. Hopefully we don't pass up the chance to draft Dumba over Koekkoek as I think Dumba would pair really well with Brodin.

• I wholeheartedly agree with the Carolina pick.

• Olli Maatta at #18 seems pretty low - I thought he was getting hyped towards the end of the season?

Overall, that was an awesome read! Great in-depth articles, and extremely sleek presentation. Thanks for using your personal time to put this together, guys! Stuff like this proves how great the Wild fanbase can be.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Hey now, I would be fine with Koekkoek at 16, MAYBE 11, should we trade 7 for WSH's 2 picks.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'…toile du Nord

Hmm... Maybe I overestimated your man-crush.

Old
06-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

First thought:

"Although the Wild have been in Minnesota for 12 years, the team has never seen a time when its minor league has been so full of talent."

From 2004-06, a lot of prospects were in the Aeros: Bouchard, Koivu, Veilleux, Wanvig, Burns, Foy, Michalek, Reitz, Boogaard, Harding, Westrum, O'Sullivan, Voloshenko, Olvecky, Ward, Foster, Irmen, Belle, and Pouliot. Granted a lot didn't pan out.

Doesn't take away from the main point though, because those talent pools were from the early 2000's and it's been dead since about 2006.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Good job and a good read. I really hope Haula makes NHL one day, even if he is a longshot prospect.

Koekkoek at #7? Well, well, well, you never cease to amaze me. I've heard good things of him but I'd rather see us doing that WSH trade at that point and snatch him at #11 or even #16.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'…toile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Koekkoek at #7? Well, well, well, you never cease to amaze me. I've heard good things of him but I'd rather see us doing that WSH trade at that point and snatch him at #11 or even #16.
I'm waiting for responses from Washington fans right now about whether they would be willing to trade up if Grigorenko was miraculously available at #7.

Old
06-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 1460
Very nice work!!!

The mock draft is very different than what a lot of people are expecting, but I could see a few of those picks happening, especially Reilly to the Isles at #4. I also see Dumba going earlier than people expect or dropping like Fowler and Gormley in 2010.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:18 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

FWIW I was the one responsible for taking Koekkoek at 7. As soon as someone *cough* NATE *cough* gets their 2 cents on it, there will be a 7 for 7 profile on him between now and Sunday.

Basically, the more I read up on him and talked with some folks, I think he makes a ton of sense.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:19 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Also, we are definitely planning on doing more editions, so feedback/suggestions is always welcome. We're doing it for ourselves, but for all of you as well.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

I'd still put Bulmer and Zucker ahead of Lucia, both are way more proven.

Edit: Whats your connection to Dabo hockey manager?

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:14 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I've just glanced through so far, looking here and there, but to chime in on the Koekkoek front, I'm a big fan but that seems high for him. With both Grigorenko and Dumba on the board, I think I would rather see one of them over Koekkoek. Maybe if he had gotten a couple games back in like Rielly and Galchenyuk did post-injury I would change my mind, but he seems like a huge risk at a point when one isn't necessary.

One other comment on the mock, I would be shocked if Jankowski came that close to falling out of the first round. That 25-26-27 range seems like a net he'd be hard to fall though.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Mumbler*

Nice read. Thank you

Mumbler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Caior89

Very nice read. I just disagree with the "Coyle left NCCA to play in a tougher competition in the QMJL" But that's all, great job guys.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:35 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Some comments!
  • Nate: Keep using "en fuego" when you write. It could be your trademark phrase.

• On Coyle's prospect summary: "It is fair to say that his departure did good things for his development as he was able to play more games and tougher competition." While it's true he played more games, and the QMJHL is arguably a better league for developing offensive skills, I really don't think it's fair to say that Coyle was playing against tougher competition.

• I love hearing about Haula. Such a feel-good story. Hopefully he becomes a successful NHLer.

• It's really nit-picky (sorry), but Nick Seeler is listed as a center.

• I could see us snagging a Minnesota native in the 2nd or 3rd round. Seems like Minnesota's producing a lot of defensive depth-type players, which you can never have enough of.

• Houston's going to be awesome next year... I'm a little jealous.

• Very interesting mock draft. Not sure I see us taking Koekkoek with #7, but I'm sure some posters (Generic User) wouldn't mind. Hopefully we don't pass up the chance to draft Dumba over Koekkoek as I think Dumba would pair really well with Brodin.

• I wholeheartedly agree with the Carolina pick.

• Olli Maatta at #18 seems pretty low - I thought he was getting hyped towards the end of the season?

Overall, that was an awesome read! Great in-depth articles, and extremely sleek presentation. Thanks for using your personal time to put this together, guys! Stuff like this proves how great the Wild fanbase can be.
I grew up on 90s Sportscenter and like sneaking in Dan Patrick terms when possible.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'…toile du Nord

Quote:
I'm waiting for responses from Washington fans right now about whether they would be willing to trade up if Grigorenko was miraculously available at #7.
Just a follow up - Washington wouldn't give up #11 AND #16 for #7. They counter-offered with #16 and #54 or Colorado's 2nd rounder for #7.

They're also pretty unbiased towards selecting Grigorenko. They're happy with their two mid-first rounders.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Came across this about our cuckoo draft pick:

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/...y_for_Koekkoek

If that's really how he pronounces his name, we must have him to add to our Clutterbuck and Stoner.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Came across this about our cuckoo draft pick:

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/...y_for_Koekkoek

If that's really how he pronounces his name, we must have him to add to our Clutterbuck and Stoner.
And trade for Jordin Tootoo.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 07:38 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Nice Job! Surprise at #7! Like it--now when we pick him I won't go "Who?"

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:04 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Just a follow up - Washington wouldn't give up #11 AND #16 for #7. They counter-offered with #16 and #54 or Colorado's 2nd rounder for #7.

They're also pretty unbiased towards selecting Grigorenko. They're happy with their two mid-first rounders.
Washington may or may not be willing to give up 11 and 16 for Grigorenko. When you put a name to a pick, its value is much different. No GM in their right mind would even offer 16 and 54 for 7 in this draft. They might try finagle 11 and 54 for 7, but it's extremely unlikely anyone in the top 7 would bite on that. If they want to move up meaningfully from 11, they'll need to offer both 1st rounders. Maybe they won't be willing to do that, but that will be the price.

Small caveat to that, they might be able to swing 11 + 54 + an early 2nd rounder if they can pick one of those up somewhere.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'…toile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Washington may or may not be willing to give up 11 and 16 for Grigorenko. When you put a name to a pick, its value is much different. No GM in their right mind would even offer 16 and 54 for 7 in this draft. They might try finagle 11 and 54 for 7, but it's extremely unlikely anyone in the top 7 would bite on that. If they want to move up meaningfully from 11, they'll need to offer both 1st rounders. Maybe they won't be willing to do that, but that will be the price.

Small caveat to that, they might be able to swing 11 + 54 + an early 2nd rounder if they can pick one of those up somewhere.
Well, I did phrase the question "would you trade #11 and #16 for Grigorenko at #7." I agree, just saying they'll get #7 with Grigorenko already picked doesn't give them much incentive. Fans didn't seem too interested in Grigorenko, though. I was slightly surprised.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:00 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
it sounded more like we were thinking about moving up for some reason.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote