HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Here's why the B's do not draft goalies in the 1st round.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Dean Youngblood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
With Koekkoek still on the board? Nah.
I'd love that...

And if you look at the link 3 of the 4 "mockers" actually think the bruins will take a netminder in the 1st round.

Two picking the russian, and one picking Subban, no mention of Dansk though.

Dean Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Just some added perspective however, that paltry number tied him for the team lead in scoring. Now a days, he likely would have went in his first year as a 17 year old playing in the RSL and not looking out of place. Most kids holding their own in the KHL are locks for the first or second round now a days, even with the Russian issue. He most certainly would have gone in his second year as an 18 year old and succeeding at the very least, he was getting quite a bit of recognition by this point.
Was he? According to Wings scout Hakan Andersson, he was the only NHL scout who saw Datsyuk (twice). A St. Louis scout made an attempt to see him, but their flight was canceled and he didn't bother returning.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...354/1053/rss17

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
IIRC the other guy they liked that year was Jim Slater, so even if they passed on Hannu it wouldn't have been that much better.
Slater was in the mix, but was told right after the draft in Toronto that it was between Jarret Stoll (re-entry) and Toivonen for that 29th selection.

Mind you- this wasn't a 3 years after the fact nugget- got it from a Bruins scout the night after the proceedings wrapped.

We were all so impressed with Vladdy Evseev that weekend too-- ouch.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Was he? According to Wings scout Hakan Andersson, he was the only NHL scout who saw Datsyuk (twice). A St. Louis scout made an attempt to see him, but their flight was canceled and he didn't bother returning.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...354/1053/rss17
Sorry, recognition in the RSL not in NA. The fact that players there weren't that easily scouted is the point, Andersson may have very well been the only NHL scout to see the guy play (he thought he was) and this was the second best league in the world at the time. Again, drafting has come a lonnnng way.

Also, I think Detroit was more confident in their thinking

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:39 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
What a horrible draft Boston had that year.

And the only asset I believe they have left over from it would be Carl Soderberg. Duncan Keith was taken 54th that year Duncan Keith.
My stomach just flopped over after reading this. the Bs really screwed that draft up.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

This thread pretty effectively shoots holes in my Oscar Dansk draft profile coming out tomorrow (well, not really- I say as much by recapping Boston's woeful history of drafting AND developing NHL goalies esp. in 1st rd)

BUT- have an interesting nugget or two in there, and if the team cannot land one of it's 5 allegedly targeted (I believe Joe Haggerty's report) guys, would not surprise me to see them trade down and possibly look at Dansk in early 2nd.

Subban is not the G they like- it's Dansk. But they have no shot at him with their 3rd rounder, and 24th is just too high for him, IMO.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:01 PM
mloyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
This thread pretty effectively shoots holes in my Oscar Dansk draft profile coming out tomorrow (well, not really- I say as much by recapping Boston's woeful history of drafting AND developing NHL goalies esp. in 1st rd)

BUT- have an interesting nugget or two in there, and if the team cannot land one of it's 5 allegedly targeted (I believe Joe Haggerty's report) guys, would not surprise me to see them trade down and possibly look at Dansk in early 2nd.

Subban is not the G they like- it's Dansk. But they have no shot at him with their 3rd rounder, and 24th is just too high for him, IMO.
Very good stuff Kirk.. how would you rate Dansk compared to some of the goalies to come out in past years mainly Gibson, Campbell, Pickard, Hellberg etc.

mloyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

When he's on, Dansk is every bit as good as Gibson. He and Zane Gothberg had an epic goalie duel at the World Jr. A Challenge- someone had to lose, but the way ZG did was heartbreaking. So, Dansk on top of his game is a world class goalie.

Problem is-- when he's off, yikes. See: USA-Sweden, U18 gold medal game and even U18 semifinal vs. Finland.

He's got the right mix of size, athletic ability and swagger, though. Typical goalie's like a box of chocolates you never know what you're gonna get-type pick.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:53 PM
mloyko

Quote:
When he's on, Dansk is every bit as good as Gibson. He and Zane Gothberg had an epic goalie duel at the World Jr. A Challenge- someone had to lose, but the way ZG did was heartbreaking. So, Dansk on top of his game is a world class goalie.

Problem is-- when he's off, yikes. See: USA-Sweden, U18 gold medal game and even U18 semifinal vs. Finland.

He's got the right mix of size, athletic ability and swagger, though. Typical goalie's like a box of chocolates you never know what you're gonna get-type pick.
Thanks, I just don't think there is any reason for the Bruins to target a goalie in the 1st round or early 2nd round. With no 2nd round pick they need to take the best player available and I just think there are better players they could get in that area of the draft.

mloyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:

I couldn't find anything about the 5 targeted players from Joe on csnne the web site.

Where else could it be? Anybody seen the list?

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
I couldn't find anything about the 5 targeted players from Joe on csnne the web site.

Where else could it be? Anybody seen the list?
we were talking about it in the draft thread and I speculated Finn, Koekkoek, Pouliot, Maata and Wilson and Kirk added Gaunce too. I don't think the interview is out yet.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:21 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Not the worst goalie draft choice at all, made it to Boston (sooner rather than later really) but wasn't anything special and we moved him on. Never a guy I wanted as my starter from what I saw first hand.

I consider him a somewaht successful pick there (just like Caron can't be a bust even if he fails now since fact remains he was in the opening night lineup on a scoring line the year we won a Cup only 14 months after being drafted.)

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:42 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I blame this thread for my shock last night...seriously, I need to remember this next year and realize in the words of Kevin Garnett, 'anything is possible'.

Not unhappy with the pick at all- certainly falls under the entertainment umbrella but after sweating out Maatta and Finn from about 18 on this was a stunah

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Definitely a funny thread.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:24 PM
EverettMike

1st round goalies the previous 10 years:

2011 - None
2010 - Jack Campbell (11), Mark Visentin (27)
2009 - None
2008 - Chet Pickard (18), Thomas McCollum (30)
2007 - None
2006 - Jonathan Bernier (11), Riki Helenius (15), Semyon Varlamov (23), Leland Irving (26)
2005 - Carey Price (5), Tuukka Rask (21)
2004 - Al Montoya (6), Devan Dubnyk (14), Marek Schwarz (17), Corey Schneider (26)
2003 - Marc-Andre Fleury (1)
2002 - Kari Lehtonen (2), Cam Ward (25), Hannu Toivonen (29)

2001 wasn't exactly a boondoggle:

2001 - Pascal Leclair (8), Dan Blackburn (10), Jason Bacashihua (26), Adam Munro (29)

2000? Oh just Rick DiPietro (1), Brent Krahn (9)

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Squirrell71
Offensive

Rick DiPietro is the richest goalie to ever play in the NHL. He's a first ballot.

Squirrell71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:31 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I blame this thread for my shock last night...seriously, I need to remember this next year and realize in the words of Kevin Garnett, 'anything is possible'.

Not unhappy with the pick at all- certainly falls under the entertainment umbrella but after sweating out Maatta and Finn from about 18 on this was a stunah
I'm making a "here's why the Bruins don't draft 50 goal RWer's in the 1st round" thread next year.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:

Looks like Chiarelli duped everyone over the last couple weeks. Talk about keeping his hand close to his chest.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:40 PM
EverettMike

Here are the most recent Vezina winners and where they were drafted (some of these guys are multiple winners):

Dominik Hasek (10th, 207)
Olaf Kolzig (1st, 19)
Jose Theodore (2nd, 44)
Martin Brodeur (1st, 20)
Miikka Kiprusoff (5th, 116)
Tim Thomas (9th, 217)
Ryan Miller (5th, 138)
Henrik Lundqvist (7th, 205)

Old
06-23-2012, 07:46 PM
EverettMike

Here are the most recent goalies to win the Conn Smythe trophy (going back to 1990 because I am getting tired) and where they were drafted:

2012 - Jonathan Quick (3rd, 72)
2011 - Tim Thomas (9th, 217)
2006 - Cam Ward (1st, 25)
2003 - Jean-Sebastian Giguere (1st, 13)
2001 and 1993 - Patrick Roy (3rd, 51)
1997 - Mike Vernon (3rd, 56)
1990 - Bill Ranford (7th, 209)

Old
06-23-2012, 07:48 PM
EverettMike

Always good to know all that hard work will be barely read by anyone.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Elever
Hth

I read it and seems like a mixed bag. You can say it's not worth the risk to draft them high and I certainly wouldn't with a top 10 pick but around 25? No problem.

Lol at the ones drafted in 2001.

I think PK's gonna be better than Vasilevski for what it's worth.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:12 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Always good to know all that hard work will be barely read by anyone.
I read it, some very interesting tidbits. I'm not a fan of taking goalies in the first round, way too unpredictable. But if you're gonna do it better be done towards the end of the first, which 24th is. I guess the Bruins front office felt the risks/benefits of Subban compared favorably to Gaunce, Skjei or anybody else left on the board. I'm okay with the pick because it was later in the first and no real blue chippers were left after Maatta went. If he had done something like Dallas did a couple years ago and took Campbell with Fowler and Gormley on the board I would be livid over taking a goalie so high.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:31 PM
EverettMike

I should also look at where vezina nominees get drafted, Stanley Cup winning goalies get drafted, and what # goalie the best goalie from that draft was picked.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:40 PM
missingchicklet

Interesting info from EverettMike. What this shows me is that goalies in the first round are hit and miss just like any other position. A very long list could be made of first-rounders at other positions that have been utter crap and not done anything. The NHL draft is such a crapshoot when compared to the drafts of the NBA and NFL. In the NBA and NFL drafts you essentially are going after guys that are not only ready to play in the pros in the upcoming year, but sometimes even start. In the NHL draft there are very few athletes who will be playing any kind of significant role in the pros in the upcoming season. In fact, many of the athletes drafted will take several years to develop. Clearly good scouting and player development has a lot to do with being successful in the NHL draft, but luck also plays a pretty decent role.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote