HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Stewart re-signed, 1 yr/3M

Old
06-15-2012, 07:49 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Stewart can learn to play different, but it isn't likely. How often do players really change their whole style of play? Stewart can get in shape and be more productive, but that doesn't mean he will be a fit.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Ignore42me*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Stewart can learn to play different, but it isn't likely. How often do players really change their whole style of play? Stewart can get in shape and be more productive, but that doesn't mean he will be a fit.
Its not like Chris Stewart is a veteran of the league nor has he reached the prime of his carreer. I do not get your persistency of him not being able to be a better two way player. Look at the difference in Oshie game from last year to this year. Anyone can change. Suggesting it isnt normal for a player to change is like using your "new guy" remark. It means absolutely nothing. Anything is possible for Stewart he could get a heck of a lot better and become one of the best power forwards in the league. Or he could just be the same Stewart as he was last season. Im pretty sure after putting a summer of hard work in, he should be a heck of a lot better then he was last season. Hes still young his game can grow.

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:55 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore42me View Post
Its not like Chris Stewart is a veteran of the league nor has he reached the prime of his carreer. I do not get your persistency of him not being able to be a better two way player. Look at the difference in Oshie game from last year to this year. Anyone can change. Suggesting it isnt normal for a player to change is like using your "new guy" remark. It means absolutely nothing. Anything is possible for Stewart he could get a heck of a lot better and become one of the best power forwards in the league. Or he could just be the same Stewart as he was last season. Im pretty sure after putting a summer of hard work in, he should be a heck of a lot better then he was last season. Hes still young his game can grow.
Oshie always was a 2-way player, that has been his game. Stewart like Perron isn't the greatest fit in our system. Perron does great work in the corners, so his limitations defensively aren't a big deal. When those 2 are producing, it is fine, but when they are off their game, they have no use to us. Guys like Backes, Oshie, and Steen, who are great fits in our system, will always be contributing, even if they aren't producing.

Stewart isn't a power forward either. He has never played like one, even with Colorado.

Stewart will never be a great backchecker, he just won't be. For him to be successful, he will have to be with a playmaker, and a good defensive forward who will cover for his limitations. We have those players, he just has to regain chemistry with them. He can be successful, but that doesn't mean he will be a good fit with our system.

It's not that hard to understand that one-dimensional offensive forwards are not a good fit in our system.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 06-15-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: See PM
Old
06-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
1)Oshie always was a 2-way player, that has been his game. Stewart like Perron isn't the greatest fit in our system. Perron does great work in the corners, so his limitations defensively aren't a big deal. When those 2 are producing, it is fine, but when they are off their game, they have no use to us. Guys like Backes, Oshie, and Steen, who are great fits in our system, will always be contributing, even if they aren't producing.

2)Stewart isn't a power forward either. He has never played like one, even with Colorado.

3)Stewart will never be a great backchecker, he just won't be. For him to be successful, he will have to be with a playmaker, and a good defensive forward who will cover for his limitations. We have those players, he just has to regain chemistry with them. He can be successful, but that doesn't mean he will be a good fit with our system.

4)It's not that hard to understand that one-dimensional offensive forwards are not a good fit in our system.
1. Perron and Stewart are two completly different men. One is big and strong the other is little in strong. The bigger one has a better change of becoming a better 2way player b/c of his physical attributes. 2. i never said he played like a power forward. I along others including Doug Armstong believe he can be one of the dominant PF in the league. He could be like Milan Lucic. 3. Stewart can be a good backchecker. He needs better conditioning and he could suprise you and the other doubters. 4. obviously what you said is true but once again you just cant be definative enough to make me believe that he cannot become a 2 way player/power forward.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 06-15-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: QDP
Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 10:34 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore42me View Post
1. Perron and Stewart are two completly different men. One is big and strong the other is little in strong. The bigger one has a better change of becoming a better 2way player b/c of his physical attributes. 2. i never said he played like a power forward. I along others including Doug Armstong believe he can be one of the dominant PF in the league. He could be like Milan Lucic. 3. Stewart can be a good backchecker. He needs better conditioning and he could suprise you and the other doubters. 4. obviously what you said is true but once again you just cant be definative enough to make me believe that he cannot become a 2 way player/power forward.
Perron and Stewart are similar in that they aren't the best backcheckers. The only difference is Perron shows more of a willingness to do it.

Armstrong has never said he could be like Lucic, and of course Armstrong is going to praise him, he is trying to get his confidence going. Stewart is nothing close to Lucic. Stewart is more of a finesse player that happens to be big. He has a great backhand, and before last season, he had a burst of speed that made him very dangerous. That burst and his size is what made him a great scorer, and he needs to get it back.

Back when Stewart was in great shape in Colorado and when he first came here, he still wasn't a great backchecker, it's just his goal scoring ability made people not notice it as much. As any Colorado fan. Stewart is also a streaky and inconsistent player and he has been his whole career. He will have stretches that will seem like he will score on every shot and stretches where he will be invisible, it's just who he is.

Stewart can be successful with this team, but it will be because he is scoring goals, not because of his backchecking ability. I am expecting him to bounce back, but at the same time, there will still be the limitations in his game like there were when he was with Colorado and when he first came here.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:19 AM
UgotOSHIED

I like the signing. Not too much risk. Plus, he's still really young, and power forwards tend to take a little longer to develop. He's just got to discover how to use his size to play defensive hockey. He already has his offensive game, he just needs to let his natural ability take over and quit trying to force things.

UgotOSHIED is offline   Reply With Quote