HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City Part VI:VE le Quebec Hockey

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2012, 09:25 PM
  #26
Merci*
 
Merci*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: yup
Country: United States
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
Is there a poll if Phoenix relocates to Quebec how many fans will stick with the team?

Merci* is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 10:36 PM
  #27
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Defender View Post
Surtout avec 2 l...
Hopefully he avale both ls.

Kimota is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 10:39 PM
  #28
not a trapdoor
I swallowed my keys
 
not a trapdoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to not a trapdoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci View Post
Is there a poll if Phoenix relocates to Quebec how many fans will stick with the team?
It would be interesting to see if the Nordiques make any attempt to tribute the Coyotes in their (re)new(ed) identity. When it does happen it's usually very subtle - such as the "Q" shape of the Avs logo or the "A" of the Atlanta Flames for alt captains in Calgary - but something like a reborn Nords using Sedona red would be a classy touch.

Not sure if it would make any difference in retaining the hearts of the Coyotes' fans, mind you.

not a trapdoor is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 11:09 PM
  #29
davemac1313
Registered User
 
davemac1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Keewatin, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 524
vCash: 143
FYI, Coyotes Assistant General Manager Brad Treliving will be answering questions from fans via a live web chat on Friday, June 15 from noon until 1 p.m. (AZ time) at phoenixcoyotes.com. Feel free to log in to the chat and ask him a question about the playoffs, the upcoming draft, free agency, etc.


I suspect many of the questions will fall under the "etc" category.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an announcement Friday one way or another

davemac1313 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 11:16 PM
  #30
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman
 
Acesolid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by not a trapdoor View Post
It would be interesting to see if the Nordiques make any attempt to tribute the Coyotes in their (re)new(ed) identity. When it does happen it's usually very subtle - such as the "Q" shape of the Avs logo or the "A" of the Atlanta Flames for alt captains in Calgary - but something like a reborn Nords using Sedona red would be a classy touch.

Not sure if it would make any difference in retaining the hearts of the Coyotes' fans, mind you.
Sorry if that might sound crude, but after this is over (one way or another), I dont want to hear about the Coyotes ever again.

If they should relocate, I really, really hope their entire history prior to 95 is given to Winnipeg, and that the histories of the Coyotes and Thrashers is put where it belongs...... in their respective cities waiting dormant for a team to get back.

If the Nordiques come back, it wont be the Coyotes anymore, it'll be the Nordiques and I dont want to see anything related to the Coyotes in Québec: no banners, no numbers, NOTHING of the Coyotes/past Jets in the Colisée!

Acesolid is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 11:55 PM
  #31
not a trapdoor
I swallowed my keys
 
not a trapdoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to not a trapdoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
Sorry if that might sound crude, but after this is over (one way or another), I dont want to hear about the Coyotes ever again.
In all honesty, I think that if another NHL team ends up replacing the Coyotes, I expect it'll have a new name anyway - the Coyotes have been a disaster really. So I expect that the name will never return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
If they should relocate, I really, really hope their entire history prior to 95 is given to Winnipeg, and that the histories of the Coyotes and Thrashers is put where it belongs...... in their respective cities waiting dormant for a team to get back.
I agree with this sentiment, too, although as I mentioned I expect that whoever tries again in AZ will want to start clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
If the Nordiques come back, it wont be the Coyotes anymore, it'll be the Nordiques and I dont want to see anything related to the Coyotes in Québec: no banners, no numbers, NOTHING of the Coyotes/past Jets in the Colisée!
I agree with this sentiment. Banners (well, the one the Coyotes have won!) & retired numbers should remain in Phoenix (or given back to Winnipeg). I do think that it would be classy if they somehow found a way to do that subtle tribute; like the "Q" in the Avs logo. It'd be a nice way of saying "we don't want to pretend this move doesn't hurt the fans in Arizona"; having said that the reason for failure in AZ comes down to a lack of dedicated fans, so I'm not going to be disappointed there's no tribute - the whole reason I want to see this move happen is because of the fact that the (currently dormant) Nordiques have more fans than the Coyotes have ever had.

not a trapdoor is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 05:21 AM
  #32
Ugmo
Registered User
 
Ugmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Austria
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by not a trapdoor View Post
When it does happen it's usually very subtle - such as the "Q" shape of the Avs logo....
Woah.... never noticed that.

Ugmo is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 05:34 AM
  #33
madhi19
Registered User
 
madhi19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cold and Dark place!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by not a trapdoor View Post
In all honesty, I think that if another NHL team ends up replacing the Coyotes, I expect it'll have a new name anyway - the Coyotes have been a disaster really. So I expect that the name will never return.



I agree with this sentiment, too, although as I mentioned I expect that whoever tries again in AZ will want to start clean.



I agree with this sentiment. Banners (well, the one the Coyotes have won!) & retired numbers should remain in Phoenix (or given back to Winnipeg). I do think that it would be classy if they somehow found a way to do that subtle tribute; like the "Q" in the Avs logo. It'd be a nice way of saying "we don't want to pretend this move doesn't hurt the fans in Arizona"; having said that the reason for failure in AZ comes down to a lack of dedicated fans, so I'm not going to be disappointed there's no tribute - the whole reason I want to see this move happen is because of the fact that the (currently dormant) Nordiques have more fans than the Coyotes have ever had.
There a Q in the Avs logo? loll Never noticed and I been looking at it for a few minutes and I still can't find it.

madhi19 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 05:49 AM
  #34
Ugmo
Registered User
 
Ugmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Austria
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
There's a circle in the background, and the avalanche seeps round and crosses it to make the Q.

Ugmo is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 05:53 AM
  #35
madhi19
Registered User
 
madhi19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cold and Dark place!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
There's a circle in the background, and the avalanche seeps round and crosses it to make the Q.
Yeah I managed to see the Q after a while you sure it not accidental because I could not find any website talking about that?

madhi19 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 11:08 AM
  #36
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Tomorrow it Friday not a bad day to give bad news to peoples. Say a press release in the morning by the NHL office to announce the death of the Coyotes and quick flight to Qc for an afternoon press conference season tickets are sold by Saturday morning. I think no matter when they decide to pull the plug it can be done under 24 hours because everything is ready to roll for sometime now.
You are at least seven days early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci View Post
Is there a poll if Phoenix relocates to Quebec how many fans will stick with the team?
I would. No doubt.

If they fire Maloney and Tippett for French speaking staff, that will make it very hard, though. They are too good to jettison for politics. If they opt not to go, on their own accord, I will definitely remain a fan. I'm not going to stop caring about the development of Boedker and OEL. I want to see Gormley make his debut. I still want to see Hanzal win his Selke. Yandle lift the cup.

rt is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 11:43 AM
  #37
roccerfeller
jets bromantic
 
roccerfeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,038
vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Yeah I managed to see the Q after a while you sure it not accidental because I could not find any website talking about that?
It could be taken as a "nod" to where the team came from, but when the logo was designed it was intended to be an emblem (the circle) and the puck was simply meant to indicate an Avalanche. It was not designed with the intention of a nod to Quebec nor the Nords as they wanted to go with a completely new direction when the team moved to Denver, but it could still be interpreted as a nod...however that would be looking into it imo.

The main logo is the mountain with the puck swirling around which is to indicate an Avalanche, and crossing over to complete the letter "A" all the while ending up on the other side of the "A" (which is actually a mountain) purely out of aesthetic choice, and to indicate the letter "C" for Colorado.

Case in point, some versions of the logo don't have the puck outside the outer circle fully:

[IMG]http://content.****************/logos/1/8/thumbs/nr14dezs67gy3wx1j7g7115so.gif[/IMG]



Additionally, the "circle" many of you are pointing out is simply an emblem design choice. You could take it as a nod, but it was not purposely intended to be such; the logo was not designed in mind to say "hey let's pay respect to that city named Quebec where the team came from with a Q like design"

The secondary logo (also from the year they relocated in 95/96) contains the exact same element:

[IMG]http://content.****************/logos/1/8/thumbs/j7eftlyuoalef8ffs80pf5im6.gif[/IMG]

Many Nords fans also view the colour scheme as "echoing" the Nords (white and blue) but it is actually a throwback to the Colorado Rockies' mountain scheme which was also blue and white. Again it can be viewed as a nod, but it is not intended to be.


That said, it could be viewed in that way. I personally am happy when teams carry on traditions, much like the Phoenix Coyotes carried on the Jets 1.0 tradition of the "white out", something they still do to this day. I know there are some Jets fans who didn't like that, but its a nice nod to the old Jets. The original "white out" wasn't even brainstormed or conceived by the Jets: It originally came as a response during playoff battles to the Calgary Flames' "sea of red", that is the tradition was created in response to what that iteration of the Flames franchise concocted. Additionally, back then, whites were the home colour. If colours had been the home jersey, then it might have ended up being a blue-out


Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

I would. No doubt.

If they fire Maloney and Tippett for French speaking staff, that will make it very hard, though. They are too good to jettison for politics. If they opt not to go, on their own accord, I will definitely remain a fan. I'm not going to stop caring about the development of Boedker and OEL. I want to see Gormley make his debut. I still want to see Hanzal win his Selke. Yandle lift the cup.
That's good to hear, rt. Some of the best and most valued posters in our boards in the Winnipeg Jets forum are former Thrashers fans.

There will be english coverage too, back in the day the Nords had a huge fanbases in Atlantic Canada and Saskatchewan, and they had English coverage (courtesy of CBC). That said, if its in french, you could pick up a second language (I can imagine english only speakers following a hypothetical Nords twitter to see "buuuuuuuuuuuuut!!" with a confused face)

Some fans will continue to follow the team if it relocates, some will turn to another team feeling bitter and angry, and others will simply stop following the NHL.

For me personally, the Jets and Nords were my two fav teams in the 90s, so it simply sucked when both left. That said, I followed the Coyotes and Avalanche until I could barely recognize them any more (due to the players all moving or leaving) and I liked the Ducks for a while too simply because of Teemu.

I was kind of a nomadic follower after that, ultimately liking and settling with the Habs overall but also enjoying the Flyers, Bruins, Kings, Canucks, Sens, Pens, Preds, Thrashers, Coyotes, Avs, Hawks, Wild, Sharks, Blues, Devils, Ducks...I mean it was tough to find a team and stick with them but I enjoyed many other teams in the meantime.

I hope you do stick with the team, because that is what real fans are made of. I stuck with the Coyotes & Avs as long as I could until most of my fav players left or retired, but I will still have a soft spot for that franchise as it introduced me to hockey.

That said, if the team relocates to Quebec City, then it will be a very interesting development in my personal interest and I will follow them again second only after the Jets. Yes I will support them over the Habs haha. Considering it would be the original Jets franchise, which moved to Phoenix where I still had a soft spot for that franchise, that could end up in the city where my 2nd fav NHL team ever resided (the Nords) then it will culminate in a very personal warm moment.

That said, I do not wish ill on the the fans in Phoenix. If it works out for you guys, then great.


Last edited by roccerfeller: 06-15-2012 at 11:58 AM.
roccerfeller is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 01:12 PM
  #38
seeweed
Registered User
 
seeweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
it would be a travesty and utter stupidity if they fire a good GM like maloney and a great coach like tippett for language preferences. seriously!

seeweed is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 01:15 PM
  #39
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeweed View Post
it would be a travesty and utter stupidity if they fire a good GM like maloney and a great coach like tippett for language preferences. seriously!
They may not want to go anyway. Maybe it would be perfect timing to be a U F A...

Confucius is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 01:37 PM
  #40
seeweed
Registered User
 
seeweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
They may not want to go anyway. Maybe it would be perfect timing to be a U F A...
well if they step down, that's a totally different story.

but if they get heat(and ultimately fired) for not being able to speak french, that would be ridiculously stupid.

seeweed is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 01:44 PM
  #41
Yukon Joe
Registered User
 
Yukon Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Posts: 1,444
vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeweed View Post
well if they step down, that's a totally different story.

but if they get heat(and ultimately fired) for not being able to speak french, that would be ridiculously stupid.

Why?

New ownership will almost certainly want to put their own people into the top positions in the team. People who they have a working relationship with, or people who share their philosophy of building a team. Rick Dudley and Craig Ramsey were let go last year not because they are terrible hockey people (they aren't!) but because the new owneres in Winnipeg wanted their own people in place.

And even if it is just for language - so what. I think any team would be very reluctant to hire a European coach or GM who doesn't speak english because of how that could make marketing the team more difficult. And it's not as if there's some terrible shortage or knowledgeable french-speaking hockey people.

Yukon Joe is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 01:47 PM
  #42
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,874
vCash: 500
Comparing Dudley and Ramsey to Maloney and Tippett is like comparing Matt and Ryan Rupert to Daniel and Henrik Sedin.

rt is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 06:24 PM
  #43
Matrix78
Registered User
 
Matrix78's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Stephen Brunt on fan 960, about the deal in Phoenix and the possibility to see the team moving to Qc City

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Fan96...-Interview.mp3

(6:50)

Matrix78 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 06:38 PM
  #44
Ugmo
Registered User
 
Ugmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Austria
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix78 View Post
Stephen Brunt on fan 960, about the deal in Phoenix and the possibility to see the team moving to Qc City

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Fan96...-Interview.mp3

(6:50)

Holy hell, he sounds all but certain that the Yotes will not be sold to Jamison or anyone else who wants to keep them in Glendale any time this year. Seems like he's stopping just short of saying they're on their way to QC.

Ugmo is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 07:40 PM
  #45
JB52
Registered User
 
JB52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 376
vCash: 500
Yeah, but Brunt say that since... what, mid March.

Personally that interview scare me a bit. He just confirm what we already know: nobody is stupid enough to invest in the Coyotes, but still, he seems to think that there's no real plan to relocate them in Quebec City.

Which bring us to one question: why? Why are we so unattractive?

Did PKP afraid them? Maybe they would rather sell to Power Corporation.
Are they just waiting for Seattle?
Are we a too small market?
Do we smell bad?
Are they affraid that the new colisée will never get build?

If we are the only market, well then, what take them so long?

JB52 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 07:45 PM
  #46
Ugmo
Registered User
 
Ugmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Austria
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Sounds to me more like Brunt thinks Gary Bettman has an unhealthy fixation with Glendale, while everyone else involved with the league regards Quebec City as an attractive option.

Ugmo is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 08:05 PM
  #47
CrazyMonkey1208
Registered User
 
CrazyMonkey1208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Sounds to me more like Brunt thinks Gary Bettman has an unhealthy fixation with Glendale, while everyone else involved with the league regards Quebec City as an attractive option.
Hell I'm a Sabres fan and I'd rather have Quebec in the NHL rather than Phoenix, and Quebec would become one of our division rivals barring any changes to the division. Welcome back, Nordiques!

Bettman, for some demented reason, thinks it can work in Phoenix, while the team has NEVER turned a profit, ever. Some people never learn

CrazyMonkey1208 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 09:54 PM
  #48
Hal1971
Registered User
 
Hal1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
You are at least seven days early.

I would. No doubt.

If they fire Maloney and Tippett for French speaking staff, that will make it very hard, though. They are too good to jettison for politics. If they opt not to go, on their own accord, I will definitely remain a fan. I'm not going to stop caring about the development of Boedker and OEL. I want to see Gormley make his debut. I still want to see Hanzal win his Selke. Yandle lift the cup.
Like I did in 95 when Sakic lift the cup, it was a bitter sweet moment, I was so pround of my team! but at the same moment, the people I saw cheering where in Denver, the players presented the cup to the people in denver. At that moment, I knew it was not my team anymore... It was Colorado's team!

After that, I could not bring myself to watch a complete hockey games, I was watching other peoples teams playing each others... Perhaps, i'm not a tru hockey fan, but for me to enjoy a game, I need to care for the teams playing and sadly, after a while, you dont care anymore for what was once your team...

Hal1971 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 09:55 PM
  #49
Shawa666
Registered User
 
Shawa666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Québec, Qc, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,310
vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
Yeah, but Brunt say that since... what, mid March.

Personally that interview scare me a bit. He just confirm what we already know: nobody is stupid enough to invest in the Coyotes, but still, he seems to think that there's no real plan to relocate them in Quebec City.

Which bring us to one question: why? Why are we so unattractive?

Did PKP afraid them? Maybe they would rather sell to Power Corporation.
Are they just waiting for Seattle?
Are we a too small market?
Do we smell bad?
Are they affraid that the new colisée will never get build?

If we are the only market, well then, what take them so long?
We're french?

Shawa666 is offline  
Old
06-15-2012, 10:03 PM
  #50
Hal1971
Registered User
 
Hal1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
We're french?
Or Students blocking the gates of the Colisée rioting to have FREE tickets, because, we all know that we should have everything for free in Quebec!!! Maybe that's what they're afraid of ?


Hal1971 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.