HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Suter's Preferred Destinations in the West

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2012, 09:00 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
When did he say he never wanted to be in Canada though?
I'm not sure he has ever said anything to anyone about where he wants to go, or at least nothing that has been made public (I'm sure his agent has a good idea, for instance, but it hasn't been leaked). My take is I don't think he wants to put his wife and infant son through something like moving to another country, and I doubt he is the kind of guy who would be OK with living separately from his wife and son each season.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I really don't see any reason he would want to leave Nashville.
If there were no reason he would've signed by now.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
If there were no reason he would've signed by now.
He wants to see what kinds of offers he fields and from which teams. I would imagine his next step after that is to sit down with his family (mainly his wife), discuss all of the potential cities/surrounding areas, look at the teams themselves and how they are structured/managed/coached, and go from there.

He doesn't necessarily want out of Nashville just because he hasn't signed. Suter is a very pragmatic person.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm not sure if he wants to be the guy, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind being recognized for how good he is. Right now he is still overshadowed by Weber, though not by as much as he was before the 2010 Olympics.

Poile essentially said in an interview that the impression he gets from Suter after several meetings is he wants to go to a smaller market team that is competitive. Poile said Suter fancies himself a farmer. Ryan gets up at the crack of dawn, hops on the tractor, and works the land. That's how he likes to live. Poile also said that, as far as he can tell, Suter is not interested in going to a place like LA or NYC (bigger markets). It just isn't the kind of guy he is.
come to the

Old
06-18-2012, 09:29 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore42me View Post
come to the
I'm sure St Louis will be in the conversation, but I'm not sure they have the money to hang in with a lot of the teams that will be presenting offers. Doesn't St Louis still operate on a budget that hovers near the midpoint? Nashville seems poised to shed their own internal cap, and teams like Minnesota and Detroit can spend. Do you think St Louis would be comfortable adding ~$7m in salary for one player without moving key pieces that might weaken the team? Serious question since I don't know much about the inner workings of the Blues.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
He wants to see what kinds of offers he fields and from which teams. I would imagine his next step after that is to sit down with his family (mainly his wife), discuss all of the potential cities/surrounding areas, look at the teams themselves and how they are structured/managed/coached, and go from there.

He doesn't necessarily want out of Nashville just because he hasn't signed. Suter is a very pragmatic person.
I'm not saying he wants out, I'm just saying if there were no reason for him to leave I think he would've been signed by now.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:32 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Yeah. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. There's no reason for him to leave if you're looking at area, team competitiveness, money, etc. But he obviously hasn't signed a deal so there must not be any compelling reason for him to stay, either.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Yeah. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. There's no reason for him to leave if you're looking at area, team competitiveness, money, etc. But he obviously hasn't signed a deal so there must not be any compelling reason for him to stay, either.
Well, I think the team competitiveness is kinda in question. Weber could very well be out, and at least Radulov and one of the Kostitsyn's are out.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:39 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Right, but Radulov only played 9 regular season games. AK was a trade deadline addition. Weber is still in Nashville for at least the up-coming season, and if Suter signs I don't see why Weber wouldn't.

The Predators were battling for the division pretty much all season with one of the youngest teams in the league. The offense took a huge step forward compared to previous seasons. The problem, surprisingly enough, was defense (including PK) needing to improve. Once that began to click that Nashville team was as good as any team in the league.

There is a lot of raw talent that can be developed in guys like Wilson, Smith, Bourque, Halischuk, Josi, Ellis, and Blum. That doesn't include guys who haven't seen time in the NHL yet.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
taylord22

Quote:
I'm sure St Louis will be in the conversation, but I'm not sure they have the money to hang in with a lot of the teams that will be presenting offers. Doesn't St Louis still operate on a budget that hovers near the midpoint? Nashville seems poised to shed their own internal cap, and teams like Minnesota and Detroit can spend. Do you think St Louis would be comfortable adding ~$7m in salary for one player without moving key pieces that might weaken the team? Serious question since I don't know much about the inner workings of the Blues.
For Suter, they will be willing to take an honest crack. Armstrong has been playing coy with regards to the budget and F/A. Which is a stark contrast to last year. Our new owner is a true fan of this team, so if Armstrong says this is what we need to do, he might actually get his wish. Not saying we'll be able to hang with the big guns, but I believe we'll make a good, fair, offer.

The deciding factor of how much we'll offer could probably be boiled down to how much money it will then force us to pay Petro, should we sign Suter.

Old
06-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Yea spot on with the budget ...Im not trying to be a homer. IMO Stl cant pay him 7 mil. If he will take less to play here, i honestly dont see why he doesnt end up in Stl. Stl meets a majority of the criteria that has been rumored that he is looking for in the next city he moves to. if he moves that is.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore42me View Post
Yea spot on with the budget ...Im not trying to be a homer. IMO Stl cant pay him 7 mil. If he will take less to play here, i honestly dont see why he doesnt end up in Stl. Stl meets a majority of the criteria that has been rumored that he is looking for in the next city he moves to. if he moves that is.
Suter's not going to be in the business of taking less...

And any deal he does take will most likely be front loaded.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Winky

From a Sharks perspective, I'd offer him 7.25-7.5 per for starters and see where the conversation goes from there.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
From a Sharks perspective, I'd offer him 7.25-7.5 per for starters and see where the conversation goes from there.
I looked at San Jose as a potential location, but I just don't know if he would be a California kind of guy. It's possible, but if Poile's comments are true I'm not really sure.

As far as money goes, I would imagine he will field a lot of offers ranging from $6.5m to $7.5m. If San Jose offers what you said you would offer I'm sure they'll be right in the mix as far as money is concerned.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
I'm not sure if he wants to be the guy, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind being recognized for how good he is. Right now he is still overshadowed by Weber, though not by as much as he was before the 2010 Olympics.

Poile essentially said in an interview that the impression he gets from Suter after several meetings is he wants to go to a smaller market team that is competitive. Poile said Suter fancies himself a farmer. Ryan gets up at the crack of dawn, hops on the tractor, and works the land. That's how he likes to live. Poile also said that, as far as he can tell, Suter is not interested in going to a place like LA or NYC (bigger markets). It just isn't the kind of guy he is.
Thats why I wonder if Detroit really makes sense. Thats not exactly a smaller market.

To be honest it sounds like he is describing Nashville, St. Louis.

If he wants a legit contender then Columbus, Colorado, and Dallas are out. Minny probably doesn't qualify either.

Colorado isn't exactly farming country. Hunting and fishing is a different story.

Is Dallas too far south? Not exactly midwest, nor is Colorado.

Old
06-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
The Blues can easily afford to pay him 6.5 - 7 per year. They just had Arnott, Langenbrunner and Colaiacova come off the books. That's 8-10 million. Plus next year Andy McDonald's 4.2 mill comes off, and they could easily shed Stewart's 3 mill. The Blues may actually have trouble meeting the floor this year. (I am not a cap wiz, so I could be wrong)

Old
06-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
The Blues can easily afford to pay him 6.5 - 7 per year. They just had Arnott, Langenbrunner and Colaiacova come off the books. That's 8-10 million. Plus next year Andy McDonald's 4.2 mill comes off, and they could easily shed Stewart's 3 mill. The Blues may actually have trouble meeting the floor this year. (I am not a cap wiz, so I could be wrong)
They're about $12M under the floor (It'll likely drop) and have to fill (I believe) five spots.

Still have to sign Oshie and Perron though.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:11 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 449
Suter-Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk-Jackman

Wow, that is a nice top-4. Even if they re-sign Huskins then sign Colin White and put them on the bottom pair, the Blues would still have arguably the best D in the league.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
They're about $12M under the floor (It'll likely drop) and have to fill (I believe) five spots.

Still have to sign Oshie and Perron though.
Currently the only players to be signed are Oshie/Perron

Once those two are signed, the Blues could roll out:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Bergland-Tarasenko
Steen-Sobotka-Stewart
D'Agostini-???-Reaves

Cole/???-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak
???/Cole

Halak
Elliott

Really they only have two holes. The money and cap space should be there for STL to make a real run at Ryan Suter.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Currently the only players to be signed are Oshie/Perron

Once those two are signed, the Blues could roll out:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Bergland-Tarasenko
Steen-Sobotka-Stewart
D'Agostini-???-Reaves

Cole/???-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak
???/Cole

Halak
Elliott

Really they only have two holes. The money and cap space should be there for STL to make a real run at Ryan Suter.
The cap space is there, no doubt, it's just a matter of where their budget is at.

Overall I still think it's gonna come down to Nashville, Detroit, and Minnesota. STL will no doubt make an offer, and will have a better chance than most other teams, but I think those three stand out to him.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 06-19-2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: edited out quote
Old
06-18-2012, 11:18 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
We play entertaining hockey, we spend to the cap to be successful,.
Not sure about those.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:20 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Style of play means a lot. If a player wants to play a puck possession, high tempo game they will not sign with certain teams.
Wake up call.
The Wings have 4 puck possession forwards
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Flip
Hudler

Hudler is about to walk.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:52 PM
TNT8592

does anyone here think that the sharks could potentially be a sleeper pick in the sweepstakes?

Old
06-18-2012, 11:57 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT8592 View Post
does anyone here think that the sharks could potentially be a sleeper pick in the sweepstakes?
Nope.

Old
06-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT8592 View Post
Technically anybody with the cash could be a sleeper pick. I think they'll certainly toss a bid his way, but I don't think they'd be around the top of his list.

You think if they get him they'd sell Boyle off?

Closed Thread