HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Suter's Preferred Destinations in the West

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-18-2012, 09:00 PM
  #701
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
When did he say he never wanted to be in Canada though?
I'm not sure he has ever said anything to anyone about where he wants to go, or at least nothing that has been made public (I'm sure his agent has a good idea, for instance, but it hasn't been leaked). My take is I don't think he wants to put his wife and infant son through something like moving to another country, and I doubt he is the kind of guy who would be OK with living separately from his wife and son each season.

ThirdManIn is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 09:04 PM
  #702
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I really don't see any reason he would want to leave Nashville.
If there were no reason he would've signed by now.

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
  #703
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
If there were no reason he would've signed by now.
He wants to see what kinds of offers he fields and from which teams. I would imagine his next step after that is to sit down with his family (mainly his wife), discuss all of the potential cities/surrounding areas, look at the teams themselves and how they are structured/managed/coached, and go from there.

He doesn't necessarily want out of Nashville just because he hasn't signed. Suter is a very pragmatic person.

ThirdManIn is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 09:26 PM
  #704
Ignore42me*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm not sure if he wants to be the guy, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind being recognized for how good he is. Right now he is still overshadowed by Weber, though not by as much as he was before the 2010 Olympics.

Poile essentially said in an interview that the impression he gets from Suter after several meetings is he wants to go to a smaller market team that is competitive. Poile said Suter fancies himself a farmer. Ryan gets up at the crack of dawn, hops on the tractor, and works the land. That's how he likes to live. Poile also said that, as far as he can tell, Suter is not interested in going to a place like LA or NYC (bigger markets). It just isn't the kind of guy he is.
come to the

Ignore42me* is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 09:29 PM
  #705
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore42me View Post
come to the
I'm sure St Louis will be in the conversation, but I'm not sure they have the money to hang in with a lot of the teams that will be presenting offers. Doesn't St Louis still operate on a budget that hovers near the midpoint? Nashville seems poised to shed their own internal cap, and teams like Minnesota and Detroit can spend. Do you think St Louis would be comfortable adding ~$7m in salary for one player without moving key pieces that might weaken the team? Serious question since I don't know much about the inner workings of the Blues.

ThirdManIn is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 09:30 PM
  #706
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
He wants to see what kinds of offers he fields and from which teams. I would imagine his next step after that is to sit down with his family (mainly his wife), discuss all of the potential cities/surrounding areas, look at the teams themselves and how they are structured/managed/coached, and go from there.

He doesn't necessarily want out of Nashville just because he hasn't signed. Suter is a very pragmatic person.
I'm not saying he wants out, I'm just saying if there were no reason for him to leave I think he would've been signed by now.

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 09:32 PM
  #707
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,413
vCash: 500
Yeah. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. There's no reason for him to leave if you're looking at area, team competitiveness, money, etc. But he obviously hasn't signed a deal so there must not be any compelling reason for him to stay, either.

ThirdManIn is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 09:34 PM
  #708
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Yeah. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. There's no reason for him to leave if you're looking at area, team competitiveness, money, etc. But he obviously hasn't signed a deal so there must not be any compelling reason for him to stay, either.
Well, I think the team competitiveness is kinda in question. Weber could very well be out, and at least Radulov and one of the Kostitsyn's are out.

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 09:39 PM
  #709
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,413
vCash: 500
Right, but Radulov only played 9 regular season games. AK was a trade deadline addition. Weber is still in Nashville for at least the up-coming season, and if Suter signs I don't see why Weber wouldn't.

The Predators were battling for the division pretty much all season with one of the youngest teams in the league. The offense took a huge step forward compared to previous seasons. The problem, surprisingly enough, was defense (including PK) needing to improve. Once that began to click that Nashville team was as good as any team in the league.

There is a lot of raw talent that can be developed in guys like Wilson, Smith, Bourque, Halischuk, Josi, Ellis, and Blum. That doesn't include guys who haven't seen time in the NHL yet.

ThirdManIn is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
  #710
taylord22
Registered User
 
taylord22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm sure St Louis will be in the conversation, but I'm not sure they have the money to hang in with a lot of the teams that will be presenting offers. Doesn't St Louis still operate on a budget that hovers near the midpoint? Nashville seems poised to shed their own internal cap, and teams like Minnesota and Detroit can spend. Do you think St Louis would be comfortable adding ~$7m in salary for one player without moving key pieces that might weaken the team? Serious question since I don't know much about the inner workings of the Blues.
For Suter, they will be willing to take an honest crack. Armstrong has been playing coy with regards to the budget and F/A. Which is a stark contrast to last year. Our new owner is a true fan of this team, so if Armstrong says this is what we need to do, he might actually get his wish. Not saying we'll be able to hang with the big guns, but I believe we'll make a good, fair, offer.

The deciding factor of how much we'll offer could probably be boiled down to how much money it will then force us to pay Petro, should we sign Suter.

taylord22 is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 09:59 PM
  #711
Ignore42me*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm sure St Louis will be in the conversation, but I'm not sure they have the money to hang in with a lot of the teams that will be presenting offers. Doesn't St Louis still operate on a budget that hovers near the midpoint? Nashville seems poised to shed their own internal cap, and teams like Minnesota and Detroit can spend. Do you think St Louis would be comfortable adding ~$7m in salary for one player without moving key pieces that might weaken the team? Serious question since I don't know much about the inner workings of the Blues.
Yea spot on with the budget ...Im not trying to be a homer. IMO Stl cant pay him 7 mil. If he will take less to play here, i honestly dont see why he doesnt end up in Stl. Stl meets a majority of the criteria that has been rumored that he is looking for in the next city he moves to. if he moves that is.

Ignore42me* is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 10:06 PM
  #712
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignore42me View Post
Yea spot on with the budget ...Im not trying to be a homer. IMO Stl cant pay him 7 mil. If he will take less to play here, i honestly dont see why he doesnt end up in Stl. Stl meets a majority of the criteria that has been rumored that he is looking for in the next city he moves to. if he moves that is.
Suter's not going to be in the business of taking less...

And any deal he does take will most likely be front loaded.

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 10:14 PM
  #713
Winky
Registered User
 
Winky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
From a Sharks perspective, I'd offer him 7.25-7.5 per for starters and see where the conversation goes from there.

Winky is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
  #714
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
From a Sharks perspective, I'd offer him 7.25-7.5 per for starters and see where the conversation goes from there.
I looked at San Jose as a potential location, but I just don't know if he would be a California kind of guy. It's possible, but if Poile's comments are true I'm not really sure.

As far as money goes, I would imagine he will field a lot of offers ranging from $6.5m to $7.5m. If San Jose offers what you said you would offer I'm sure they'll be right in the mix as far as money is concerned.

ThirdManIn is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 10:26 PM
  #715
Celtic Note
Moderator
Chi Town Bound
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm not sure if he wants to be the guy, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind being recognized for how good he is. Right now he is still overshadowed by Weber, though not by as much as he was before the 2010 Olympics.

Poile essentially said in an interview that the impression he gets from Suter after several meetings is he wants to go to a smaller market team that is competitive. Poile said Suter fancies himself a farmer. Ryan gets up at the crack of dawn, hops on the tractor, and works the land. That's how he likes to live. Poile also said that, as far as he can tell, Suter is not interested in going to a place like LA or NYC (bigger markets). It just isn't the kind of guy he is.
Thats why I wonder if Detroit really makes sense. Thats not exactly a smaller market.

To be honest it sounds like he is describing Nashville, St. Louis.

If he wants a legit contender then Columbus, Colorado, and Dallas are out. Minny probably doesn't qualify either.

Colorado isn't exactly farming country. Hunting and fishing is a different story.

Is Dallas too far south? Not exactly midwest, nor is Colorado.

Celtic Note is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 10:42 PM
  #716
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,419
vCash: 50
The Blues can easily afford to pay him 6.5 - 7 per year. They just had Arnott, Langenbrunner and Colaiacova come off the books. That's 8-10 million. Plus next year Andy McDonald's 4.2 mill comes off, and they could easily shed Stewart's 3 mill. The Blues may actually have trouble meeting the floor this year. (I am not a cap wiz, so I could be wrong)

Mike Liut is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 11:00 PM
  #717
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
The Blues can easily afford to pay him 6.5 - 7 per year. They just had Arnott, Langenbrunner and Colaiacova come off the books. That's 8-10 million. Plus next year Andy McDonald's 4.2 mill comes off, and they could easily shed Stewart's 3 mill. The Blues may actually have trouble meeting the floor this year. (I am not a cap wiz, so I could be wrong)
They're about $12M under the floor (It'll likely drop) and have to fill (I believe) five spots.

Still have to sign Oshie and Perron though.

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 11:11 PM
  #718
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow
 
JayP812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 5,800
vCash: 449
Suter-Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk-Jackman

Wow, that is a nice top-4. Even if they re-sign Huskins then sign Colin White and put them on the bottom pair, the Blues would still have arguably the best D in the league.

JayP812 is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 11:11 PM
  #719
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,365
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
They're about $12M under the floor (It'll likely drop) and have to fill (I believe) five spots.

Still have to sign Oshie and Perron though.
Currently the only players to be signed are Oshie/Perron

Once those two are signed, the Blues could roll out:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Bergland-Tarasenko
Steen-Sobotka-Stewart
D'Agostini-???-Reaves

Cole/???-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak
???/Cole

Halak
Elliott

Really they only have two holes. The money and cap space should be there for STL to make a real run at Ryan Suter.

Dolph Ziggler is online now  
Old
06-18-2012, 11:14 PM
  #720
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Currently the only players to be signed are Oshie/Perron

Once those two are signed, the Blues could roll out:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Bergland-Tarasenko
Steen-Sobotka-Stewart
D'Agostini-???-Reaves

Cole/???-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak
???/Cole

Halak
Elliott

Really they only have two holes. The money and cap space should be there for STL to make a real run at Ryan Suter.
The cap space is there, no doubt, it's just a matter of where their budget is at.

Overall I still think it's gonna come down to Nashville, Detroit, and Minnesota. STL will no doubt make an offer, and will have a better chance than most other teams, but I think those three stand out to him.


Last edited by Live in the Now: 06-19-2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: edited out quote
Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 11:18 PM
  #721
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
We play entertaining hockey, we spend to the cap to be successful,.
Not sure about those.

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 11:20 PM
  #722
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Style of play means a lot. If a player wants to play a puck possession, high tempo game they will not sign with certain teams.
Wake up call.
The Wings have 4 puck possession forwards
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Flip
Hudler

Hudler is about to walk.

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 11:52 PM
  #723
TNT8592
Registered User
 
TNT8592's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SAN JOSE
Country: United States
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
does anyone here think that the sharks could potentially be a sleeper pick in the sweepstakes?

TNT8592 is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 11:57 PM
  #724
usernam*
#TeamSuccess
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT8592 View Post
does anyone here think that the sharks could potentially be a sleeper pick in the sweepstakes?
Nope.

usernam* is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 11:59 PM
  #725
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT8592 View Post
does anyone here think that the sharks could potentially be a sleeper pick in the sweepstakes?
Technically anybody with the cash could be a sleeper pick. I think they'll certainly toss a bid his way, but I don't think they'd be around the top of his list.

You think if they get him they'd sell Boyle off?

Wingsfan2965* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.