HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Suter's Preferred Destinations in the West

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 10:22 PM
zombi
I D D Q D

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago is the dark house is all this
their cap structure is now in place and chances are they would switch our Hjalmarsson for Suter

Noone expected them to go after Hossa when they did
I'm just saying that there is a definite chance
Things are a tad different now...

Then:

Now:

Old
06-19-2012, 10:29 PM
MNState0fHockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
People are talking about Detroit like they just squeezed into the playoffs the past couple of years. They had 102 points last year, they are coming off of how many 100+ point seasons, and they are talked about like they were an 8 seed. Yes, they have some holes that were exposed in the playoffs the past few years, but I'll take that over the alternative. They've identified their weaknesses and have cap space to change those things. Suter being the centerpiece of those changes.

Do I expect Detroit's stellar run to continue? No, not at all, but do I feel like it is next year? Not if they do what we are expecting them to, hopefully, pull off this off season. If they can, Detroit is as good a team as any in the league.
I don't think anyone suggested Detroit squeaked into the playoffs, or that they won't be a contender the next few years. What people are saying is that their window may be closing.

This was initially brought up in reference to the point that a guy like Suter will have to decide if he is looking for a team like Detroit, who is positioned to win now, but might need to do some rebuilding in the not-so-distant future, or a team that might not be a contender, but is on the cusp of becoming one.

After all, he's likely going to sign a long-term contract, so he may want to look beyond the immediate future.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
A level-headed Wings fan, I'm game.

Detroit will be in the running for a while. I would expect no less.
Money, cap space and spots to fill is a scary thought.

One good thing I'll say about Detroit is it'd be hard for me to turn down playing with Z and Datsyuk. Gotta be weighing on Suter's mind.

If it comes to pass, so be it. We'll still have spirited games. But he won't replace Lidstrom's poitn production and Josi will more than likely step into Suter's place.
Here's a counter from a Wild fan's perspective. It's hard to ignore the appeal of playing in detroit, but I don't think the Wild are that much of a downgrade.

There is a group of great young talent for Suter to contend with for several years in the future. Koivu and Heatley are established vets. The team is full of young talent. Setoguchi, Granlund, Coyle, Bulmer, Zucker.

There is checking line talent in Brodziak and Clutter. Powe is a great grinder to have on the bottom line.

The team has talented players looking to come back off injuries. With Latendresse's signing eminent the Wild could be looking at a 25 goal scoring power forward being added to this mix.

Suter would be paired with a former teammate in Tom Gilbert who would become a solid top pairing.

Scandella and Brodin are 2 young defenseman with top 4 talent could round out the second pairing.

The Wild fill out their defense with young guys with experience in Prosser/Spurgeon/Falk (RFA, likely gone if Suter comes)

Not to mention the re-signing of Stoner, who has the idea bottom pairing skill set. Big hits, big fists.

Goaltending is a huge strength for the Wild. Which is what turns a playoff team into a cup contender. Backs and Harding will make for an interesting 1A 1B goaltending combo, with prospects like Hackett, Kuemper and Gustoffson giving this team long-term depth at a volatile position.

I know I'm biased, but if the Wild outbid Detroit I think Suter comes here. I don't think perceived "closeness" to the cup that Detroit has over the Wild isn't nearly enough to change what will become a dollar sign based decision

Plus all the other X factors such as proximity to his family farm, wife who is from the twin cities and not having to fill in the shoes of one of the NHL's greatest defensemen...

I think It's a 2 horse race between detroit and Minnesota...

55% Wild
45% Detroit

Old
06-19-2012, 10:54 PM
avsman

Detroit, Nashville, St. Louis, Colorado, and Minnesota are the top 5 IMO

Old
06-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Whoever said "Chicago," that makes a LOT of sense to me. They aren't entirely hamstrung by the cap - sign Suter, trade Hjalmarson or someone else, big time upgrade. Nice place to live, close to the roots, etc. I would think a UFA would be a hell of a lot more interested in Chicago, or even St. Louis, than Detroit.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:51 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Whoever said "Chicago," that makes a LOT of sense to me. They aren't entirely hamstrung by the cap - sign Suter, trade Hjalmarson or someone else, big time upgrade. Nice place to live, close to the roots, etc. I would think a UFA would be a hell of a lot more interested in Chicago, or even St. Louis, than Detroit.
this sounds about right. Only downside would be playing on a team "behind" Keith.
On the other side, he would get the money, has security, plays near his hometown, uncle Gary was here and liked it in Chicago and the Team around him is really good and young.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Hank Z
Rookie User

Quote:
Why is that? The players voted Detroit the team they'd most like to play for.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:38 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Z View Post
Who cares what the players think?

Old
06-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Who cares what the players think?
Unless you guys know for a fact that Suter was one of the players that voted for Detroit that poll means absolutely nothing.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:44 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
55% Wild
45% Detroit
So in your mind it's absolutely impossible that Suter's agent is telling the truth when he says that Suter could definitely stay in Nashville, and he is only holding out to see what kinds of offers he gets? Your odds seem off considering there are 28 other teams in the league, one of which has the money, fits Suter's personality, and originally drafted him.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:47 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Unless you guys know for a fact that Suter was one of the players that voted for Detroit that poll means absolutely nothing.
Means a hell of a lot more than some random hfboard poster.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:49 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
So in your mind it's absolutely impossible that Suter's agent is telling the truth when he says that Suter could definitely stay in Nashville, and he is only holding out to see what kinds of offers he gets? Your odds seem off considering there are 28 other teams in the league, one of which has the money, fits Suter's personality, and originally drafted him.
How many Players say they want to take a peak at FA and end up re-signing with their original team? Suter is just trying to avoid a total **** storm.

Old
06-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
It's not impossible, but you have to admit there's some serious doubts.

Suter sounds like he has one team in mind. He wants to get the final dollar value and terms from that team. I'm sure his agent has a ballpark figure already. If that team's offer isn't up to par with the Nashville offer, he'll then consider sticking around because he was smart enough to not burn that bridge.

But honestly if he WANTED to stay in Nashville, what's the point of fielding offers? Nashville is his safety net. If he WANTED to stay there for sure, he'd just stay. He'd take his pile of money and NTC and be happy. The act of even accepting offers shows that while he'd consider staying in Nashville, he's also got his eyes open. He doesn't exclusively want to stay there.

The best case scenario of "taking a peak" is he'll use that to force more money out of Nashville. Obviously I don't know any of this for sure, but if I were a betting man, that's how I think it plays out. Nashville is his safe plan if the offers (from his other preferred team or two) aren't all that hot as he expected.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Common sense isn't allowed in this thread.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Means a hell of a lot more than some random hfboard poster.
No it really doesn't, I don't know what's going on in Suter's head but neither do you and neither do the players that voted in that poll. Who knows what Suter values the most?

Old
06-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
No it really doesn't, I don't know what's going on in Suter's head but neither do you and neither do the players that voted in that poll. Who knows what Suter values the most?
Well, actually it does mean something. The odds are that a player would prefer Detroit over another team are higher based on a poll of actual NHL players.
Simple really...

Does it mean Suter will sign there, of course not but the odds are for it rather than against.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Well, actually it does mean something. The odds are that a player would prefer Detroit over another team are higher based on a poll of actual NHL players.
Simple really...

Does it mean Suter will sign there, of course not but the odds are for it rather than against.
It means that NHL players value Detroit the most, which makes sense given their sucess over the past 20 years, but it really means little regarding the Suter sweepstakes because we don't know for which team he voted (if he voted at all) and this poll will have no influence on his decision if he didn't consider Detroit as one of the places he wanted to play in before that poll.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Rabiddog

Quote:
What percentage voted for detroit there's 30 teams in nhl, so Detroit could win that poll with less then 10% of the vote. So less then 1 out of 10 would be my bet.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaffran View Post
What percentage voted for detroit there's 30 teams in nhl, so Detroit could win that poll with less then 10% of the vote. So less then 1 out of 10 would be my bet.
It was 14%.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/alls...ke-to-play-on/

Old
06-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Rabiddog

Here's question what kind of relationships does he have with players on the Detroit team? Does he have friends on the team? Or are there players on the team he use to play with? If I was chosen a team it would be very important to me, I wouldn't want to go somewhere and not really know anyone. It's question I don't know so don't get all huffy puffy Detroit fans.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:12 AM
2probert4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
mark off any cities like LA, philly, chicago... and any team from the east

Why eliminate Chicago?

Old
06-20-2012, 09:16 AM
2probert4

Quote:

The Chicago or St Louis over Detroit statement makes no sense.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:21 AM
2probert4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNState0fHockey View Post
I don't think anyone suggested Detroit squeaked into the playoffs, or that they won't be a contender the next few years. What people are saying is that their window may be closing.

This was initially brought up in reference to the point that a guy like Suter will have to decide if he is looking for a team like Detroit, who is positioned to win now, but might need to do some rebuilding in the not-so-distant future, or a team that might not be a contender, but is on the cusp of becoming one.

After all, he's likely going to sign a long-term contract, so he may want to look beyond the immediate future.
The window won't close, they are admittedly in a transition/rebuild stage, with young guys coming in and others leaving. They have the financial resources to keep players in DET, plus go via the Free Agent route if need be, as they are this summer. Their front office is better than most, and considering they have drafted in the 20's for close to 20 years, I say they are going to be fine.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:26 AM
2probert4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
I doubt he goes to Detroit, old team, playing under the pressure to fill Lidstroms shoes, former teams rival. Yea...just doesn't seem ideal.
Only old guys are Bertuzzi and Holmstrom if he returns.. Fans in Detroit are smart enough to know that you don't replace a Lidstrom, and want Suter or Weber to fill that roster spot.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:31 AM
2probert4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
St. Louis isn't much better of a city than Detroit. Not too long ago they were competing for murder/crime capital of the U.S. (Which I believe belongs to ATL now)

Bloomfield Hills is a good area, the education quality in the burbs is insane. One of my friends has a relative that teaches in the area and actually taught a class with Eminem's daughter. The most I've heard is that she is taken care of "very well".

And to boot, if he were to retire in Detroit he's pretty much guaranteed a job in the organization if he wants one.
Northville, Plymouth, Novi, West Bloomfield Sterling Heights are all very nice expensive areas. The reasoning I hear in Nashville every day is "Suter wouldnt want to live in Detroit" The Preds players live in the high dollar suburbs of Brentwood, Franklin or somewhere close to that. The Blues players live in the rich suburbs away from the city, etc etc.... Get a grip people.

Closed Thread