HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Suter's Preferred Destinations in the West

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2012, 09:36 AM
2probert4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
Suter's really good, and his uncle loved playing for us. If we can get him at a fair price we could trade Murray and/or Boyle to replenish our horrendous farm system or fill out our forwards. Boyle only because he's getting old and his defense has slipped a bit recently. He's definitely a weapon offensively, but if DW can get Suter at a reasonable price and he wants to retire here there's no reason not to sign him.
San Jose is about to try and make a run at Rick Nash... 7.8 per for a while sort of chokes the attempt to sign a D who will get 7 or 8 per for a while......

Old
06-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Of 318 who responded, so there are 44 NHL players who feel that way; whoop de frickin do. Subtract those that already play for Detroit, and the number shrinks more.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:43 AM
2probert4

Quote:
My point was that 01/02 Red Wings had elite talent on every position (not one elite player per position but multiple) on their hockey team, compairing this Red Wings team to that team just isn't possible IMHO.
Hard to compare this team to the 01/02 Wings Cup Champs because there was no Cap back then, and Illitch had an open checkbook with a team salary of around 70 million.

Luc Robitaille was a 4th liner on that squad, which was an All-Star team....

Old
06-20-2012, 09:49 AM
2probert4

I think many are forgetting (or probably with this group didn't know) that Suter and Parise lived in the Ann Arbor area when they played together on those USA teams... I'm sure BOTH are very aware of the Metro Detroit area and what it has to offer.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2probert4 View Post
The Chicago or St Louis over Detroit statement makes no sense.
Chicago is a great city, and the Hawks future is brighter than that of the Wings.

The Blues also have a great future.

If Suter wants to win, these would be good choices.

The Wings have a glorious past, but I don't think their future is as bright as their division rivals.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:51 AM
redwing471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Of 318 who responded, so there are 44 NHL players who feel that way; whoop de frickin do. Subtract those that already play for Detroit, and the number shrinks more.
You could also reverse that and state that the majority of players for every team voted for their team.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Rabiddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabiddog View Post
Here's question what kind of relationships does he have with players on the Detroit team? Does he have friends on the team? Or are there players on the team he use to play with? If I was chosen a team it would be very important to me, I wouldn't want to go somewhere and not really know anyone. It's question I don't know so don't get all huffy puffy Detroit fans.
Does anyone have any information on this question?

Old
06-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
San Jose is about to try and make a run at Rick Nash... 7.8 per for a while sort of chokes the attempt to sign a D who will get 7 or 8 per for a while......
Even if we did trade for Nash, Columbus would be taking salary back, so it would be a wash in terms of cap hit.

With that said, though, the latest reports are that Howson hasn't sobered up and is still asking for Couture, so the likelihood a deal is made isn't that high right now.

(We're not getting Suter either, so it's all irrelevant)

Old
06-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
He and Gilbert of the Wild played together at Winsconsin and he and a couple of guys on the Avs (Stastny, EJ) know eachother thanks to the Olympics and Chicago has Kane. Red Wings don't have anyone who went to Winsconsin and if I'm not mistaken they have no US Olympians (Rafalski is retired) on the team, but of course they could sign his buddy Parise as well and solve this ''problem''.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
leotroy82

Howard played with him on the jr usa team I think...hell if the guy wants outdoors that are like what he grew up with then michigan is a great choice..top notch deer hunting and fishing. There is also a ton of good farm land not far outside of detroit don't fool yourself on that lol

Old
06-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Goalie guy

Quote:
Howard Suter and parise are all friends, does that mean any no not really. no one knows what will happen.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Chicago is a great city, and the Hawks future is brighter than that of the Wings.

The Blues also have a great future.

If Suter wants to win, these would be good choices.

The Wings have a glorious past, but I don't think their future is as bright as their division rivals.
"the future is unwritten"

Old
06-20-2012, 12:38 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
He and Gilbert of the Wild played together at Winsconsin and he and a couple of guys on the Avs (Stastny, EJ) know eachother thanks to the Olympics and Chicago has Kane. Red Wings don't have anyone who went to Winsconsin and if I'm not mistaken they have no US Olympians (Rafalski is retired) on the team, but of course they could sign his buddy Parise as well and solve this ''problem''.
Chelios is with the team (and very close to the Suter family). Brendan Smith went to Wisconsin, obviously after Suter was there. And I'm fairly certain Suter and Howard ran into each other in their USNTDP days when they won gold at the under-18s. Patrick Eaves has a connection through his father (Suter's coach at Wisconsin) and was on those junior teams as well. Kesler and Booth also were on those teams... Canuck darkhorse?

Old
06-20-2012, 12:47 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'm pretty sure Suter knows he is going to make close friends on any team he goes to, especially since he is looking for a "lifetime" deal so to speak. This is also a business, and pretty much any player is subject to be moved to any team at any given time.

Another thing to keep in mind is he is very close to a lot of the guys in the Preds locker room right now. I'm not so sure counting how many people he knows in a locker room is the best way to build on speculation. That's why I have discounted the "Parise and Suter as a package deal" crap since it started being tossed around.

With that said, speculation is fun so I guess I should stop trying to ruin that with my logic

Old
06-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm pretty sure Suter knows he is going to make close friends on any team he goes to, especially since he is looking for a "lifetime" deal so to speak. This is also a business, and pretty much any player is subject to be moved to any team at any given time.

Another thing to keep in mind is he is very close to a lot of the guys in the Preds locker room right now. I'm not so sure counting how many people he knows in a locker room is the best way to build on speculation. That's why I have discounted the "Parise and Suter as a package deal" crap since it started being tossed around.

With that said, speculation is fun so I guess I should stop trying to ruin that with my logic
It isn't and as you've said he'll make plenty of new friends if he decides to leave Nashville and sign somewhere else.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:21 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
Here's a counter from a Wild fan's perspective. It's hard to ignore the appeal of playing in detroit, but I don't think the Wild are that much of a downgrade.

There is a group of great young talent for Suter to contend with for several years in the future. Koivu and Heatley are established vets. The team is full of young talent. Setoguchi, Granlund, Coyle, Bulmer, Zucker.

There is checking line talent in Brodziak and Clutter. Powe is a great grinder to have on the bottom line.

The team has talented players looking to come back off injuries. With Latendresse's signing eminent the Wild could be looking at a 25 goal scoring power forward being added to this mix.

Suter would be paired with a former teammate in Tom Gilbert who would become a solid top pairing.

Scandella and Brodin are 2 young defenseman with top 4 talent could round out the second pairing.

The Wild fill out their defense with young guys with experience in Prosser/Spurgeon/Falk (RFA, likely gone if Suter comes)

Not to mention the re-signing of Stoner, who has the idea bottom pairing skill set. Big hits, big fists.

Goaltending is a huge strength for the Wild. Which is what turns a playoff team into a cup contender. Backs and Harding will make for an interesting 1A 1B goaltending combo, with prospects like Hackett, Kuemper and Gustoffson giving this team long-term depth at a volatile position.

I know I'm biased, but if the Wild outbid Detroit I think Suter comes here. I don't think perceived "closeness" to the cup that Detroit has over the Wild isn't nearly enough to change what will become a dollar sign based decision

Plus all the other X factors such as proximity to his family farm, wife who is from the twin cities and not having to fill in the shoes of one of the NHL's greatest defensemen...

I think It's a 2 horse race between detroit and Minnesota...

55% Wild
45% Detroit
Detroit can offer way more in terms of better players to play with, better team, and a better hockey heritage that players are proud to be part of.

The only (dis)advantage Wild have is a reckless GM who is willing to hamper the future by overpaying for UFAs. Whereas Detroit's GM will only pay fair-market-value and offer him a chance to play for a contender for the rest of his career because of their savvy money management and brilliant scouting.

From the reports I hear, Wild are willing to mortgage the future for a small window. That's reckless like Chicago. Detroit prefer to spend smartly and be a contender year in, year out.

Would you take a job on a sinking ship over a well managed system that will be around for many years to come without NHL bailouts? I know I wouldn't.

Last edited by HTT3*: 06-20-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old
06-20-2012, 04:38 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Z View Post
Why is that? The players voted Detroit the team they'd most like to play for.
I have to think a not insubstantial part of that is Babcock, who seems great to play for.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
I have to think a not insubstantial part of that is Babcock, who seems great to play for.
In that same series of players polls mentioned earlier, I think he was listed as second most demanding after Tortorelli, and 2nd players wanted to play for after Bylsma. Hmm....

One thing for sure, Suter knows all his Central rivals pretty well; if he chooses one of them, it won't be a shot in the dark.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Isnt there a rumor Suter wants to play for the Hawks rumoring about?

Old
06-20-2012, 05:24 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Isnt there a rumor Suter wants to play for the Hawks rumoring about?
Every rumor I've heard about where Suter wants to play has been nothing but speculation. The only thing I've heard from anyone is Suter's agent saying Suter likes it in Nashville, but is interested to see what kinds of offers he gets and from what teams. The rest has been based on speculation, and that speculation seems to be born out of things Poile has said, where Suter and his wife are from, or wishful thinking from fan bases/media in certain cities.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Alpha
Q Up.

Canucks.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

I remember reading something earlier in the season that Suter's favorite place to play on the road is in Chicago. He lives in Madison, Wisconsin after the season. Chicago is the nearest NHL location to Madison. His uncle played here, and I'm sure he grew up a Hawks fan. Chicago is also a nice place to raise a family. The Hawks also have a disgustingly good core moving forward without him, and the core will become insane with him if he decides to sign here. It makes a lot of sense for him to sign with Chicago. Do it!

Old
06-20-2012, 06:44 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
I'm sure that if Suter wants to sign with San Jose the Sharks will find the money. As would almost any other team. A rumored trade that DW pretty much dismissed the other day is a pretty thin reason to count us out. That said, I'm not expecting him to sign with us.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:48 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

The whole package deal thing came around because they were at a camp a few years ago and players were giving them a hard time for having a mini bromance about playing on the same team. They were great teammates on team USA and share the same philosophy for how the game should be approached and played. They are not necessarily great friends, just would make great teammates. I think it's very possibly that if they both test the waters that they both end up in the same place.

Old
06-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Detroit can offer way more in terms of better players to play with, better team, and a better hockey heritage that players are proud to be part of.

The only (dis)advantage Wild have is a reckless GM who is willing to hamper the future by overpaying for UFAs. Whereas Detroit's GM will only pay fair-market-value and offer him a chance to play for a contender for the rest of his career because of their savvy money management and brilliant scouting.

From the reports I hear, Wild are willing to mortgage the future for a small window. That's reckless like Chicago. Detroit prefer to spend smartly and be a contender year in, year out.

Would you take a job on a sinking ship over a well managed system that will be around for many years to come without NHL bailouts? I know I wouldn't.
Our owner said that we wouldn't be outbid for Parise. Not Suter. If you're expecting us to offer a 15 year $10m per deal, you're mistaken. Our offer will probably be, at best, 1-2 years longer and $2-$3 million more than Detroit's (should we decide to make a hard play at Suter). I doubt that would "hamper our future", especially since we'd be getting a great player.

Closed Thread