HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

Women coaches?

Old
09-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Habsfunk

vCash: 500
Women coaches?

The Junior B team in my town just named a woman, Abbi Vigue, as assistant coach. The post is pretty much a volunteer position here (due to the team's financial struggles) so they usually find someone local who can spare the time and who knows a thing or two about hockey. She played for the B.C. provincial team and at the NCAA level.

That said, I can't find any mentions of any women coaching junior hockey, even as an assistant. Has it happened before?

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
First off, Good on her.

Secondly, I don't know.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

I cant find any references to it having happened but Im sure it must have at the amateur levels. The only references I can dig up deal with men coaching womens teams, of which apparently 2 out of every 3 are in fact coached by men. And its not just hockey. Seems most sports coaching is dominated by men be it male or female athletes, individual or team sports. All kinds of papers written on the subject at the university & college levels.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Canadiens1958

Late 1950s/Early 1960s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I cant find any references to it having happened but Im sure it must have at the amateur levels. The only references I can dig up deal with men coaching womens teams, of which apparently 2 out of every 3 are in fact coached by men. And its not just hockey. Seems most sports coaching is dominated by men be it male or female athletes, individual or team sports. All kinds of papers written on the subject at the university & college levels.
Verdun minor hockey had a few moms coaching house league hockey - boys, Pee Wee in the late fifties / early sixties.

Olga Hrycak coached male CEGEP and university basketball in the Montreal area starting in 1977:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olga_Hrycak

A fair number of the elite Canadian and American Women's hockey players or prospects have gone into coaching at the minor hockey level, school level or in Women's leagues. Excellent overall.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote