Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2012, 02:14 PM
PokeCheck101

vCash: 500
Thanks for the update nosoup. I wasn't keeping up with the Kamloops tourney. Maybe you took my comment the wrong way, I was simply asking.

To be fair, Draude would have made a difference in that last northern game, no question. I checked out your final stats from Kamloops and two kids were responsible for 50% of your scoring. The gap between your top two players in league was vast. So to be fair to beenwatching, their statement about talent thin has some merit. It's just something one has to accept. It happens, work with what you got. But at what expense? Can you agree that there are a handful of SV players that have seen far less than average ice time over the course of your last half dozen or so league and prov. games? If this is not correct, please set the record straight as it would then seem that there is some serious mis-information getting out. Or how was ice time in Kamloops?

Anyone not associated to SV here can you provide some insight as well? I'm here for fair and frank discussion. In regards to NE banging garbage cans, if I was their own coach I wouldn't put up with that and they would be told no noise makers period. It is an embarassment.

As far as westerns, no surprise NE was in tough 1 win only. It's the same ol same ol with SK teams there.... We're always in tough. In contrast, the '08 Warman team at westerns had more depth and won no games... There are 6 or 7 kids from that team in major junior and junior A... I don't think SV would have faired much better than NE. But I could be wrong.

Old
04-12-2012, 03:17 PM
nosoup

I never said that there weren't kids that saw less ice, I think that could be said about most teams particularly for 98's. SV had 6 98's 1 of which saw almost no ice over the time period you are talking about, 1 of which had his average ice time increase over that period, to the point of not missing any regular shifts. The four others all played regular shifts all year, 2 of them got significant special teams time. In a league dominated by 2nd year players this is not too surprising.

Part of it may be, when there were injured kids our top players picked up their shifts " double shifted" which may have made it seem that others weren't getting played.

What ever it was the 98's will be the go to guys next year and will have their opportunity to shine.

NE had 3 98's and I think at least 1 and maybe 2 didn't see the ice as much as some of the other kids, I didn't see all their games, my assumptions are based on the 8 or 9 times I saw all, or part of a game.

I think you could go through most teams and pick out 1 or 2 kids that were limited in ice.

Take NE, they had 6 players over 1.0 points per game, 4 between .5 and .9

SV had 6 players over 1.0 points per game and 6 between .5 and .9

An argument could be made that SV had better depth.

In truth I think the teams are very close and the results over the course of the season tend to add support to that position, I only took exception to the posters suggesting that:

"Heard some of SV players hardly saw the ice down the stretch. Not going to be successful that way...."

" A team like that will never prevail over a talented team that can play 3 lines."

when in fact it was very close to going against NE

I should also point out that at westerns 3 kids scored 66.7% of NE goals

Last edited by nosoup: 04-12-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old
04-12-2012, 09:09 PM
mrbodangles

2012 / 2013

What elgible players will not return next yr & who has been
recruited by what team .
How will Morrison do as the new Minto coach ?

Old
04-12-2012, 11:13 PM
NotTooLate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeCheck101 View Post
Anyone not associated to SV here can you provide some insight as well?
What I saw throughout the season is that NE is a more balanced team and played their players fairly. SV on the hand, relied on Draude (and who wouldn't right?) and this cost them. I don't care how good any one player on a team is, there is never an excuse for a minor coach to shorten his bench this way. I saw it during the regular season in games that were no where near tight.

Old
04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
AlbertaHockey20

At Westerns NE ran all its line fairly equally, but only got production out of a few players. Generally, the smaller players struggled a lot as the level of physical seemed to take them by surprise.

Nik Amundrud made many huge stops. Against Burnaby he made six or seven highlight reel saves in the first period to keep his team in the game. He could hardly be blamed for the scores at the end of the games. He stole the show against the host PAC team making 47 out of 48 saves. His size and positioning combined with excellent puck tracking made him my goaltender of the tournament.

Tristen Elder looked to be their best player. He had a slow first game and then started to get really involved. His size, shot and breakaway speed impressed me.

Defensemen Devin Gerwing, Matt Long and Bryce Fiske were all very solid for NE. Fiske took some bad penalties though. The other defensemen were struggling with the pace of the game and speed of the other teams forwards, leaving big gaps and giving the zone too easily.

Zac Paziuk showed nice puck skills and seemed to be able to find open ice well in the offensive zone. I also really liked his physicality down low in his zone. He did well checking some of the tournaments top forwards like Giorgio Estephan.

Caleb Seaman also seemed to be fairly effective. He had good speed and his size made him more effective than most in the context of Westerns. However, he seemed to disappear for stretches during the game.

Chad Grambo impressed me with his hard work and determination. He had moderate statistical success at the Westerns, but he seemed to struggle in more physical encounters.

As a whole I thought NE played a very solid physical game and played well defensively. However, the didn't have enough team speed to effectively use the dump and chase tactics they tried. The teams they were up against were too skilled and broke out with the puck rather easily.

Old
04-15-2012, 09:50 PM
TotalOne

I know its early but is there any idea what AAA teams some of the top 97s will be heading to next year?

Old
04-16-2012, 01:04 AM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalOne View Post
I know its early but is there any idea what AAA teams some of the top 97s will be heading to next year?
Mintos - Campese, Morrison
Contacts - Olson, Sloboshan, Hebig. Likely Draude. Possibly Fiala.
Generals - Nagy, Korol.
Pat Can - Flodell
Trojans - Elder
Blazers - Perrilat. Possibly Hobbs. Possibly Constant.

Old
04-17-2012, 03:22 PM
mrbodangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
Mintos - Campese, Morrison
Contacts - Olson, Sloboshan, Hebig. Likely Draude. Possibly Fiala.
Generals - Nagy, Korol.
Pat Can - Flodell
Trojans - Elder
Blazers - Perrilat. Possibly Hobbs. Possibly Constant.
it will be interesting to see if the minto coach / son situation
effects recruiting other D .

Old
04-20-2012, 03:39 PM
mrbodangles

zone tourney

What teams & or players look above average @ the zone tourney ?

Old
05-03-2012, 01:34 PM
mrbodangles

Ethan Bear

Where will Ethan Bear play his midget hockey ?

Old
05-05-2012, 07:02 PM
B007

Who will be the top teams this coming season? Which veteran players will move on and where? Which ones will stay? I assume the Contacts will be strong again.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:31 AM
supertacks

I think we can agree that the first season for the SBAAHL was a success.
Lots of parody with the teams, and potentially any team winning on any given night.
Too bad GSHL is out for the second year in a row. With Saskatoon in, it would make for a more interesting north division and league for sure. Maybe 2013/2014? Didn't hurt them in the draft, they are still producing a good product.
Congrats to North East Wolfpack!

Any predictions for next year?
I'm going with West Central to take the north and the league.

Old
05-11-2012, 02:01 PM
nosoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertacks View Post
Lots of parody with the teams, and potentially any team winning on any given night.
Too bad GSHL is out for the second year in a row. With Saskatoon in, it would make for a more interesting north division and league for sure. Maybe 2013/2014? Didn't hurt them in the draft, they are still producing a good product.

I can see West central being good based on what that group did as 2nd year peewees in the centre 4 league. I have also heard rumours of a couple of players not in that region trying to go play there next year to "load up".

SV will have 6 returning players, 5 of them from a Martensville squad that also did quite well as 2nd year peewees, finding solid goaltending will be a key.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:46 AM
SaskRinkRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup View Post
I can see West central being good based on what that group did as 2nd year peewees in the centre 4 league. I have also heard rumours of a couple of players not in that region trying to go play there next year to "load up".
Do you know which region or regions these other players are from?

Old
05-14-2012, 02:06 PM
nosoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskRinkRat View Post
Do you know which region or regions these other players are from?

I do, but as it is just rumours I wont say who or from where. If they show up at the camp it will be clear to everyone, if they dont it may have all been BS.

Also, even if they try they may not be successful as one of the Battleford players who attempted to play for North east found out.

Last edited by nosoup: 05-14-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old
05-15-2012, 11:27 AM
SaskRinkRat

In order to play outside their geographic zone, they'll have to get a release from that zone, and I can almost guarantee no zone is going to sign any release.

Unless they move, of course.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:41 PM
nosoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskRinkRat View Post
In order to play outside their geographic zone, they'll have to get a release from that zone, and I can almost guarantee no zone is going to sign any release.

Unless they move, of course.
You are correct! and yet the rumours persist...

Old
05-16-2012, 01:04 AM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup View Post
You are correct! and yet the rumours persist...
I've heard similar rumblings. No doubt it has everything to do with West Central hosting Westerns. Oh what some will do for hockey heh?!

Old
05-18-2012, 08:23 AM
schoolboyjones

Open Season??

Is Sask the only province to allow it's players to choose where they want to play?

Does this lead to some less than scrupulous recruiting tactics?

Should the SMAAAHL adopt some sort of listing process similar to the SJHL? Maybe autoprotect for locals till their 15th birthday, then a 50 man list.

I believe the SJ has autoprotect of locals till their 17th birthday, non-locals are added to a teams list on their 15th birthday. Just a thought...

Old
05-19-2012, 11:48 PM
mrbodangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboyjones View Post
Is Sask the only province to allow it's players to choose where they want to play?

Does this lead to some less than scrupulous recruiting tactics?

Should the SMAAAHL adopt some sort of listing process similar to the SJHL? Maybe autoprotect for locals till their 15th birthday, then a 50 man list.

I believe the SJ has autoprotect of locals till their 17th birthday, non-locals are added to a teams list on their 15th birthday. Just a thought...
Would you still allow N D to have a international team ?
It would be interesting if teams could only use players from their
radius .Would the city teams still recruit out of city kids ?
I think it would kill lower population teams like Tisdale & Beardys
& advantage whoever got the south east players .
I think PA used to only have local players only but thought they were not competitive .

Old
05-19-2012, 11:57 PM
mrbodangles

Quote:

Saskatoon players will always draft well .Part due to good coaching
& part due to the scouts don't get out to other towns as much .

Old
05-22-2012, 12:41 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbodangles View Post
Saskatoon players will always draft well .Part due to good coaching
& part due to the scouts don't get out to other towns as much .
Folks, purely for discussion sake, but I think I'll add an opinion here. Some facts from this years bantam draft.

1) PS three players in round one, excellent year, excellent development and must have had excellent scouting. 2) 8 Players overall from Saskatoon city wide drafted from 6 teams. 3) 3 players from Regina teams drafted. 4) Excluding ND players (7) the remainder were drafted from SBAAHL (32).

Four SV players drafted
Three West Central players drafted
Five NE players drafted

Overall I would suggest that the scouts must have got out and about quite a bit. I hope this trend continues too. It's a damn shame when quality rural kids get overlooked. Rural AA coaches reading this out there, showcase your kids and take every opportunity you can to be fair and honest with scouts. I think this was a fantastic rural draft year.

Last edited by PokeCheck101: 05-22-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old
05-23-2012, 10:37 AM
schoolboyjones

Quote:
Would you still allow N D to have a international team?
ND is a registered residential school. They could still draw whoever they choose. They would still have to manage their list, and could not move more than two players from one team to the other.

Quote:
It would be interesting if teams could only use players from their radius.
They could still use players from wherever, however they would have first dibs on local players, but would have to manage their list to accommodate those players. Players not listed or auto-protected could go wherever they choose.

Quote:
Would the city teams still recruit out of city kids?
City teams would have to manage their lists and protect the ones they really want.

Quote:
I think it would kill lower population teams like Tisdale & Beardys & advantage whoever got the south east players.
Southeast players could be listed by other teams, and some would even still have choice, depending on league listing rules.

Quote:
I think PA used to only have local players only but thought they were not competitive.
They could still have imports, but again, would have to manage their list accordingly. They would not have to protect any local kids if they didn't want to.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:54 AM
supertacks

Battleford AAA Stars

What is up with this organization?
Can someone tell me why no one wants to coach there and why local kids leave to find success elsewhere? I would like my son to play there, would have a good billet, but I am having second thoughts about the Stars organization. No one local seems open to talk about this. Heard 3 applied for coach and 3 walked away after meeting with the board of directors. Is it the city and area, is it management or the mighty dlollar? Any insight would be helpful.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:49 AM
IDC

Quote:
What is up with this organization?
Can someone tell me why no one wants to coach there and why local kids leave to find success elsewhere? I would like my son to play there, would have a good billet, but I am having second thoughts about the Stars organization. No one local seems open to talk about this. Heard 3 applied for coach and 3 walked away after meeting with the board of directors. Is it the city and area, is it management or the mighty dlollar? Any insight would be helpful.

I think no one local talks about it because you can't really pin point one (or even three or four) particular events or instances that has occurred over the years to put the AAA Stars in the shape they are in now. Recent events (leading up to spring camp) of where the Battleford Minor Hockey Assoc. steps in and basically abolishes the AAA Stars BOD and releases the coach w/o (to a point) any knowledge from the AAA Stars association doesn't help give anyone that warm, fuzzy feeling that's for sure and I believe that's the problem right now. Who would want to coach a team where you have to "take orders" from everyone?

I am not sure if they have this sorted out a 100% yet but last I heard (which in all honestly was quite some time ago) there were still lingering issues (again, no one really talking about it ) between the Stars BOD and BMHA.

Closed Thread