HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 02:04 PM
northernblizzard

vCash: 500
And now I'm hearing Marty Smith is going to be coaching. Was he not fired 2 years ago? NB is in for another tough season. I'm not saying Marty can't coach as he seemed to do a decent job last year with the bantams but he proved he could not handle Midgets a couple of years back.
Add that to the overall instability of their system..........

How do you fire the coach and BOD and then take back all of the BOD? To me it looks as though they were just playing some sort of a game to get rid of the coach that the BOD could exercise full control over......
Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
I think no one local talks about it because you can't really pin point one (or even three or four) particular events or instances that has occurred over the years to put the AAA Stars in the shape they are in now. Recent events (leading up to spring camp) of where the Battleford Minor Hockey Assoc. steps in and basically abolishes the AAA Stars BOD and releases the coach w/o (to a point) any knowledge from the AAA Stars association doesn't help give anyone that warm, fuzzy feeling that's for sure and I believe that's the problem right now. Who would want to coach a team where you have to "take orders" from everyone?

I am not sure if they have this sorted out a 100% yet but last I heard (which in all honestly was quite some time ago) there were still lingering issues (again, no one really talking about it ) between the Stars BOD and BMHA.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:35 PM
supertacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernblizzard View Post
And now I'm hearing Marty Smith is going to be coaching. Was he not fired 2 years ago? NB is in for another tough season. I'm not saying Marty can't coach as he seemed to do a decent job last year with the bantams but he proved he could not handle Midgets a couple of years back.

How do you fire the coach and BOD and then take back all of the BOD? To me it looks as though they were just playing some sort of a game to get rid of the coach that the BOD could exercise full control over......
Just my 2 cents.
I agree with you. I've heard this type of manipulating has been the down fall of the aaa stars since this board took over years back. And with potential new coaches walking away after meeting the BOD only increases that suspision.

As far as Martys job coaching the bantams, the teams success was from the talent of the players, if the coaching was decent this team should have gone all the way.

How does a top 25 rated player like Hintz fall to being a pass over at the bantam draft? He had good coaching his first year in Unity and success! Hintz has signed with the stars, probably thinking Kneilson would be back.

If it's Marty is he going to bring along his assistants from last year or will one of his friends on the board join him! Good luck to all!!!!!!!!We'll need it!!!!!!!

Old
06-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
I'm going to make this thread a sticky for you guys, just for easy access.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Old
06-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Vent all your Sask Bantam/Midget talk to this thread.

Old
06-19-2012, 12:33 PM
northernblizzard

[LIST=1]
Question 1) What happened to Hintz? I know he is a very talented hockey player but at times seems to under acheive. Was the team coached in a manner that did not fit his playing style?

Question 2) Is there a danger that NB could lose their franchise eventually if they keep having a non-competetive team that can't attract players (both local and from elsewhere)? It seems to me that there are likely other centers that would have a much better shot of icing a team that people would actually want to play on.

What do you guys think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertacks View Post
I agree with you. I've heard this type of manipulating has been the down fall of the aaa stars since this board took over years back. And with potential new coaches walking away after meeting the BOD only increases that suspision.

As far as Martys job coaching the bantams, the teams success was from the talent of the players, if the coaching was decent this team should have gone all the way.

How does a top 25 rated player like Hintz fall to being a pass over at the bantam draft? He had good coaching his first year in Unity and success! Hintz has signed with the stars, probably thinking Kneilson would be back.

If it's Marty is he going to bring along his assistants from last year or will one of his friends on the board join him! Good luck to all!!!!!!!!We'll need it!!!!!!!

Old
06-20-2012, 11:21 AM
IDC

Quote:
[LIST=1]
Question 1) What happened to Hintz? I know he is a very talented hockey player but at times seems to under acheive. Was the team coached in a manner that did not fit his playing style?

Question 2) Is there a danger that NB could lose their franchise eventually if they keep having a non-competetive team that can't attract players (both local and from elsewhere)? It seems to me that there are likely other centers that would have a much better shot of icing a team that people would actually want to play on.

What do you guys think?
I think some nagging injuries have really started taking their toll. That coupled with no real downtime from hockey since Atom(?) and the fact that sometimes, the rest of field just catches up. He's not big enough. Sure they have him at anywhere from 5'10" 145# to 5'11" 150# but in all reality he would be 140# max and just not "big". You know, the farm boy style big and just naturally strong like a Bast or Stang.
You hear other stuff (started smoking, a little more rebellious etc. ) but that is just a 14-15 year old boy being a 14-15 boy sometimes. As he continues on in Midget, it'll be interesting to see how he does. I hope the best for him, he's good kid but maybe just a "decent" hockey player. Still better than most his age but not as good as others.

AAA Stars- Not even sure what to say here. I think as long the North Stars continue to keep doing well, the AAA program should do well but there is alot of growing up to do. They gotta either cut out all the political bullsh*t or at the very least, learn how to mask it better. I thought Marty was fired because he cut a Fransoo so taking on a first year Bantam girl this year should have made up for that. Right?

Old
06-20-2012, 11:22 PM
supertacks

Quote:
[LIST=1]

What do you guys think?
1) A couple things happenned. First he stopped growing in peewee. He was huge then, that's when people took notice, he was able to dominate. He may now be below average size in the aa bantam and aaa midget leagues. That being said, he had coaches in Unity that encouraged him to use his strengths, skating,shooting and always praised hard work. They helped him succeed. It was an ideal coaching situation there. Tough head coach and a assistant like Pat Risling to keep things loose. Not like Marty and his assistants yelling and slamming bench doors. That effects everyone even if it is not directed at him. Under the right system and coaches he will be back. He's a good kid. Enough said!

2) When you take a look at the locals that moved away since this board took over, Bryce Gervais who went to the Mintos and just won the canadian jr a championship with th vee's, Jordan fransoo who played as a whl draft pick with no success but left to the Blazers had a great year jumped to the Wheatkings in the dub, and gets drafted by the nhl senators. what about the McDonald boys from Turtleford? No interest in them, both were successful in Beardys and now jr a with the Klippers, to name a few. All would have helped the aaa and the jr a stars. Another brother should have played aaa this year and another aa bantam. What I have noticed here is all good players, all good families, lots of hockey knowledge in the family..... maybe too much knowledge...? Maybe they prefer people that will just listen and not question? What ever they have done to this point hasn't worked. Yes, I think if this continues the aaa's will be gone sooner than later!

Old
06-21-2012, 12:31 AM
IDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertacks View Post
1) A couple things happenned. First he stopped growing in peewee. He was huge then, that's when people took notice, he was able to dominate. He may now be below average size in the aa bantam and aaa midget leagues. That being said, he had coaches in Unity that encouraged him to use his strengths, skating,shooting and always praised hard work. They helped him succeed. It was an ideal coaching situation there. Tough head coach and a assistant like Pat Risling to keep things loose. Not like Marty and his assistants yelling and slamming bench doors. That effects everyone even if it is not directed at him. Under the right system and coaches he will be back. He's a good kid. Enough said!

2) When you take a look at the locals that moved away since this board took over, Bryce Gervais who went to the Mintos and just won the canadian jr a championship with th vee's, Jordan fransoo who played as a whl draft pick with no success but left to the Blazers had a great year jumped to the Wheatkings in the dub, and gets drafted by the nhl senators. what about the McDonald boys from Turtleford? No interest in them, both were successful in Beardys and now jr a with the Klippers, to name a few. All would have helped the aaa and the jr a stars. Another brother should have played aaa this year and another aa bantam. What I have noticed here is all good players, all good families, lots of hockey knowledge in the family..... maybe too much knowledge...? Maybe they prefer people that will just listen and not question? What ever they have done to this point hasn't worked. Yes, I think if this continues the aaa's will be gone sooner than later!
I think the best thing that happened to Kiefer being in Unity during that time was being on a line with Spencer Bast. There were alot of other hockey players that would have had a year like that with Bast feeding him the puck all the time. Didn't Troy Gurein have a good year then also?The coaching was meh, but Pat R???? Really, I do appreciate all the volunteering and extra time that he puts in (and it's countless hours by now) but I do disagree a bit here.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Mike Honcho

Anybody know of the goalies entering sask midget aaa this year that didn't play last year?

Old
07-05-2012, 10:17 AM
rollygoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
Anybody know of the goalies entering sask midget aaa this year that didn't play last year?
Far as I know Nick Amundrud - Tisdale, Floddel - Regina, Mychashew - PA, Ryan Rewarts - Battleford. That is all I know so far! Swift, Yorkton, Contacts, Blazers, Beardy's and ND will have new goalies. Moose Jaw will stay the same as last year!

Old
07-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Mike Honcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollygoalie View Post
Far as I know Nick Amundrud - Tisdale, Floddel - Regina, Mychashew - PA, Ryan Rewarts - Battleford. That is all I know so far! Swift, Yorkton, Contacts, Blazers, Beardy's and ND will have new goalies. Moose Jaw will stay the same as last year!
Which one will have the biggest impact, best overall season and best numbers this year?

Old
07-05-2012, 01:18 PM
rollygoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
Which one will have the biggest impact, best overall season and best numbers this year?
My opinion will be Floddell

Old
07-05-2012, 06:30 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

On the topic of goaltending, anyone know if Burghardt is expected to make the jump to the Dub this year?

Old
07-11-2012, 01:47 AM
supertacks

Quote:

Just my 2 cents.
The coaching staff of Martin Smith and company were named two weeks ago. The aaa stars website has camp info added along with last season award winners. [B]Why haven't the new staff been added? Why do updates but not to the coaches? Jean Fachon is an assistant coach, wasn't he fired from the aaa Sharks last year?
Looks like the games are still going on! What's with the secrets?

Does anyone know if Belak is coaching aa Barons again? What about Blackere coaching Midwest? Who's in Unity and Meadow Lake?

Old
08-01-2012, 11:09 AM
nosoup

WEHP has Garret Pilon as being at West-central this year, they are trying to build a team that wont get embarrassed at westerns, hopefully.

About three weeks til camps open, summer goes quick!

Old
08-01-2012, 02:22 PM
HockeySK

Gshl

With Pilon rumored to be headed to West Central, and talk of Elder and Ramsay heading to ND, does this send a message to the GSHL board?

Old
08-01-2012, 06:10 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySK View Post
With Pilon rumored to be headed to West Central, and talk of Elder and Ramsay heading to ND, does this send a message to the GSHL board?
Does Nolan Reid going to Notre Dame "send a message" to bantam AA hockey outside of the GSHL? Or Taylor Ross? Or any number of players who have been "talked" about. The fact is every year there's rumors about kids moving to ND, or before the closest center rule, any number of other centers. Or playing midget AAA. And for every kid rumored to be moving there's 10 rumors of why that kid is moving. Sometimes - most of the time - it's just smoke. But sometimes there's actual fire. Just like in Alberta (the home of the best minor hockey system in the world and if you don't believe me, just ask them) and BC.

As for the GSHL board, I'm not sure why they would be the target of this message. It was the parents, afterall, who voted against merging. So perhaps they are losing sleep over some kids leaving the area, missing out on January roadtrips to North Battleford, losing the opportunity to get stomped at Westerns, and the resulting catastophic impact of all this on their dreams of NHL glory. Sorry - I should have said "their boy's dreams of NHL glory". Because none of this is about the parents, right?

Old
08-01-2012, 08:09 PM
SaskRinkRat

Where is the "talk" of the GSHL players moving to ND originating?

I'm curious as to why the parents would be wanting their kids to move out of the GSHL. I'm not saying it's not the case, I'm just curious what the reasoning would be. If it's so that they can get their kids away from having to share ice time with the rest of the players on their teams - something that the GSHL seems to enforce better than the SBAAHL - then maybe it's SHA that needs to be sent a message, not the GSHL.

Old
08-19-2012, 11:24 PM
TotalOne

Does anyone have any insight to what happened at the AAA Midget camps this weekend?

Old
08-20-2012, 11:11 AM
rollygoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalOne View Post
Does anyone have any insight to what happened at the AAA Midget camps this weekend?
From what i Heard, Swift looks better than last year, D is bigger. Yorkton lost Brayden Park he is going to play in Penticton. Moose Jaws camp had no real surprises. Tisdales could be struggling on D. Lewchuck going to the Blazers form Beardys!

Old
08-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Superbowlfishca

Superbowlfishca

All !! We should start some talk on the upcomming 2012-13 Bantam AA season. Here is my prediction for finish in the south.
Melville
Swift Current
Yorkton
Prairie Storm
Estevan
Weyburn

Very difficult to predict Regina area teams as they select them in a draft format after evaluations but they are strong in this age group and will compete well for playoff spots. Two years ago Regina won the Peewee AA championships.

As the thread builds I will join the comments reguarding team specifics.

I know very little about the North teams but based on Peewee AA Melfort should be strong.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:08 PM
nosoup

Really speculative at this point as camps haven't even started but I will take a shot at the north.

#1 West central--- 4? returning players,good core of 2nd years ads Garret Pilon, solid goal tending

#2 Sask Valley---- 6? returning players from regular season champs, not sure who will be available in net for them

#3 Melfort---- 3? returning which is probably the lowest of any team but still a large area to draw from and a good peewee program

#4 Battleford 4? returning, good goaltending maybe not enough to get them into the top 3

#5 Humbolt 6? returning gets them out of last I think

#6 PA 4? returning still bottom 2 I think.

Its a big jump from peewee to bantam but there will certainly be some 1st years that make an impact I expect

Old
08-23-2012, 10:58 AM
beenwatching

I think West Central will be strong this year. I believe the Melfort team has the three returning players from last year as well as two that didn't make that team but played with humboldt last year. They will revert back to the NorthEast team this year, so that puts there number to 5 returning, and drops Humboldt to 4. Could be another long year for Humboldt. Not sure who NorthEast will have in net though. SaskVally will have a good team as well, but i wonder also who they will find to fill the net? Prince Albert has more than 4 returning I think, and the kids they have returning are pretty good. I think they may make a move up the ladder this year. Maybe not top 2 or 3 but we will see.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:17 AM
PokeCheck101

Vipers try outs on... Weakness at D. A crop of 10 goalies out, only 3 with potential legitimate shots at making it. Returning forwards doing okay and not much selection for first year's. Just what I've been hearing folks. Kinda scratchin' my head but sounds like they're just running intra squad games, no skills sessions. Not a big fan of that as your evaluation but oh well.

Old
08-27-2012, 08:07 PM
nosoup

The inter squad games are just the first weekend and really just weed out the obvious cuts, rosters have to be done by sept 22 and that leaves lots of time for skill sessions later in the evaluation period.

beenwatching; i'm not convinced PA's returning players are a upgrade on Campese, Gunville and Morrison but I may be wrong.

SV wont have A Draude or a Fiala, I think they will be deeper at forward though with three lines that contribute consistently on the scoreboard.

Closed Thread