pucktalk

vCash: 500
Well said.

Old
09-25-2012, 08:22 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Superbowlfishca

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. You make some interesting points, even if I don't entirely agree with all of them. More on that later.

First off, I regret my choice of words. In retrospect, the phrase "chasing the NHL dream" sounds rather dismissive in tone and that wasn't my intent. I think I gave the impression I have a problem with elite programs or parents who choose to send their sons to them. I don't. While I have some doubts - at this age level - as to the correlation between the production of elite players and elite programs (eg., Notre Dame or summer hockey), it's a perfectly valid choice to make and I'm not in any position to judge. And as I said before, there are opportunities for hockey/life experiences at an institution like Notre Dame that you can't get at the local level. Although like many, I'm not a fan of their recruiting practices.

What I do have a problem with is the prospect of provincial wide programs being tailored for elite athletes in this age group (in what I believe is a mistaken belief that this will produce more elite athletes). Currently, and for the last number of years, Saskatchewan has been outstipping all the other western provinces, on a per capita basis, in the production "elite" hockey players ("elite" defined and based on the bantam draft and WHL rosters). It seems like we've struck a fine balance between the promotion of hockey in general with the maximum level of players being taught skills by the maximum level of quality coaching, and all the while, out-producing AAA systems in elite talent. Combine that with a very good Sask First model and AAA summer hockey (for those that want it or think it's efficacious) and it leaves me wondering why there is this constant drumbeat for an AAA style league.

Now - I don't have the data to prove why Saskatchewan is so much better at producing hockey players than Alberta. We don't have the concentrated wealth and population that would seem to give them the advantage. So maybe it's because we don't have "elite" hockey for this age group. We have an AA system that allows kids to play with their friends longer, where late bloomers can find their game, and where those serious about hockey can hone their skills in a less pressurized environment and not face the burn-out often found in elite programs.

I do agree with your points about player development and the value of hardwork and perseverance. I guess what I disagree with is that these values are necessarily better attained through the framework of "elite" hockey. In my experience following the GSHL and the old C4, development best comes with a coach who speaks with integrity and instills the value of teamwork, shared sacrifice, and dedication. That kind of role-modelling, combined with the player's inherent work ethic, will pave the road for future success in hockey and life.

Finally, a word on the "Saskatoon" issue. It's unfortunate that the SHA's top-down decision created, or at the very least, exacerbated an urban/rural split. It didn't have to be that way and with an open consultative process co-operation might have been achieved. Ultimately, an agreement will be made. And hopefully all parties will be happy. In the meantime, I'm hoping all the crap thrown in the direction of the Saskatoon hockey community will come to an end because it has become tiresome. Acting in their own perceived self-interest doesn't make them bad people. Or arrogant. Or scared. Or any other adjectives I've heard thrown around in hockey rinks (and forums). It makes them the same kind of people I've seen and talked with in rural rinks: generally good-natured people who want to do the best for their kids and their families. It doesn't necessarily mean they're right. But coming from both worlds - city and country - I've yet to see that one community has a monopoly on good - or bad - character. Just my two cents.

Last edited by dickiedunnwrotethis: 09-25-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old
09-26-2012, 08:47 AM
nah68

Last edited by nah68: 04-10-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old
09-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Superbowlfishca

To Dickie's Two Cents

Very good response.
Its people like yourself with a thoughtful passion for hockey that will create an atmosphere to make SK a great place for kids to grow up and play the great game of hockey be it at the recreational or elite level.

Absolutely agree that coaching plays a huge role in the development of a player in skill and in their development to become good people and good teammates. The minor hockey associations that prioritize, train and support their coaches the best will be the most successful.

Philosophically we will disagree as to when it is the proper time or age to expose kids to higher levels of competitive hockey. One of the beauties of the “Canadian” hockey mentality is it drives our kids from an early age to excel. Our public school system and society in general has become as system of entitlement and “political correctness”. I use examples of the same color ribbons for all at track events or a teacher getting fired for issuing zeros as examples. I realize this opens up a whole other can of worms but I see hockey as the one institution in Canada that has bucked this overall trend.

As for kid burnout, in my experience I see very little of this. Most of the kids I have seen that have a passion for the game would love to be on the ice every hour of every day. There is a very small percentage driven by their parents who do have a “burnout factor.” Parents must be conscious that this can occur and must be smart enough to make sure their kids are enjoying what they are doing. Much like people on welfare it is impossible to legislate how people manage their situations. You can’t blaim a hockey system for individual stupidity.

Regarding the ‘Sktn issue” I don’t purport to know the politics surrounding the “top down decision” SHA made regarding the new Bantam league especially on how it related to Saskatoon but as an outsider looking in I see Regina as all in and Saskatoon as all out. You make great points so from this point on I will take the position that Saskatoon should be allowed to do what is best for Saskatoon and I respect its decision going forward. I am encouraged by your comments that Saskatoon will keep an open mind as to the possibility of coming into the Provincial Bantam AA League.

Yours was a great two cents. Here is jut mine.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:57 AM
nah68

Some exhibition results.... P.A 6 north east 5. West central 8 NB 4. P.A 3 Saskatoon frostbite 3. I would imagine most rosters set for season

Old
09-28-2012, 01:11 PM
nosoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah68 View Post
Some exhibition results.... P.A 6 north east 5. West central 8 NB 4. P.A 3 Saskatoon frostbite 3. I would imagine most rosters set for season
Thanks for the results,

PA seems to have a bit more battle in them this year compared to last. will be interesting to see how SV and west central match up on the weekend...

Old
10-01-2012, 08:12 AM
nah68

West central 4, Sask valley 2. A penalty filled afair, Sv played short handed alot! From what I see there top line especially Johnson hard to contend with, gets wide and goes to net hard. SV didn't get alot of shots in first 2 periods, and chances were minimal. Both teams with some proper coaching will do well though, Priel and wintoniak will push these teams hard,

Old
10-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Superbowlfishca

Estevan First Two Leageu Games Tough

Vs Regina Pat Blues Score 4-2 Blues. Blues moved the puck around extremely well and outshot Estevan badly. Estevan had some power play chances late and had some very good chances to get back in the game but lacked finish. For Regina Chasten Sare F and Mark Edmunds D had great games. For Estevan Kyle Sargent D and Carter Phair G were solid.

Vs Prairie Storm(PS) Score 5-2 Prairie Storm. Estevan has good start but as game wore on PS kind of took over. Same old for Estevan as they had numerous PP chances to get back into the game. They will need to work on this part of the game. Jared Legion F looked good. Strong and exceptional speed for such a big kid. Jared Dmytriw F also had a very good game. For Estevan Mitchel Morrison F and Kolten Ganson F had strong games.

Estevan where definitely in both games so if they can show some big improvement over year they will have a chance to compete with either of the above team.

Overall it looks like this league is going to be great all year as most games where highly competitive. Except fopr PA vs ND.

Old
10-09-2012, 05:22 PM
IDC

Center Four Hockey League website

Anybody know when they are going to get the "new and improved" CFHL website up and running? Times a wastin'...

Old
10-10-2012, 10:52 AM
northernblizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
Anybody know when they are going to get the "new and improved" CFHL website up and running? Times a wastin'...
IDC, Website has bee up and running a few days now but is a bit tricky to search.

Here it it is:
centrefourhockeyleague.ca

Old
10-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Superbowlfishca

Saskatchewan Top 5 Teams From WEHP(http://westernelitehockeyprospects.blogspot.ca/)
1. Notre Dame Hounds (7) - Although they won't play any of the other Saskatchewan teams this season, they will be a factor in all major tournaments. Many of the top Balgonie players and Saskatoon players are now with the Hounds.

2. West Central Wheatkings - A fast 3-0-1 start for the Western Canada Bantam Championship hosts leave them near the top early. They have strong goaltending and some decent depth up front which should keep them at or near the top all season long.

3. Prince Albert Venice House Raiders - The Raiders have averaged nearly 10 goals per game in the early going led by Warkentine, Fiddler, Isbister, Manson and '99 born Sawchuk. What is tough to read though is that they feasted on a pair of pretty weak teams in Notre Dame "AA" and Humboldt.

4. North East Wolfpack - After a very strong 11-12 season in which the Wolfpack made it all the way to westerns, representing Saskatchewan, it was unknown just how good they'd be. The questions have been answered with a 3-0-0 start with balanced scoring once again and stingy defense.

5. Balgonie Prairie Storm - A good start led by Dmytriw, Bentz and Legien. It looks like the Prairie Storm will once again be a factor in Saskatchewan.

My Top 5:
ND - Don’t forget they took three kids that played in Estevan last year also.
West Central
Regina Pat Blues - Extremely well coached and Sare is their best and Mark Edmonds D can play – very good stretch pass player.
Swift Current - Big and they will get Lind back eventually.
Melville - Tough start but they have some talent and will eventually get it together. Big weakness in goal but my experience is goaltending always get better as year progresses.

Hon mention : Prairie Storm, North East Wolf Pack

Old
10-11-2012, 09:45 AM
IDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernblizzard View Post
IDC, Website has bee up and running a few days now but is a bit tricky to search.

Here it it is:
centrefourhockeyleague.ca
Can you post that link? When I type it in I just get some site that has a variety of hockey associated stuff but I can't find anything. I may be computer "slow".

Thanks Blizz

Old
10-11-2012, 12:46 PM
beenwatching

Here are some of my observations this year so far.
Prince Albert has dominated play thus far, but like previously stated it is against probably the two weakest teams in the league. Notre Dame will be at the bottom of the pile, and Humboldt has lost their one bright spot for the beginning of the season which puts them in a very bad position. It will be interesting to see if Prince Albert can continue this success when they play teams that are a little stronger.

ND's AAA team is the obvious number one team in Saskatchewan. To bad we won't see them play some of the other teams in the league to see where they all really stack up.

Melville was completely dominated in their games against North East and Regina and I see them fitting in somewhere in the middle of the pack. They have some good hockey players, but do not seem to respond to physical play like they did last year.

SaskValley is not going to be as strong as last year, but I don't think that is a surprise to many. Coaching will be key for this group. They will probably be battling PA for that 3 spot in the North.

Prairie storm should be somewhere in the top 3 or 4 in the South. They lost to North East by one in a game that could have gone either way. They bounce back with a very good showing against SaskValley.

I think Regina may really surprise this year. They have a good crop of 98's that could move one or two of those teams into that top 3 or 4 spots. Going down to three teams is really going to benifit Regins. They will definatly compete this year.

North East has a very good mix again this year. They have a top line that will give any team trouble, and have a couple of other lines that will pitch in on scoring, as well as some very good D men. They play physical and are very tough to play against. I look forward to them playing West Central. I think this will be the battle of the top teams in the north.

West Central has a very good top line as well. I haven't seen them play yet, so I will have to leave it at that. It will be interesting to see if they have the depth needed to be succesful.

Swift Current is another team i have yet to see, but I have heard that they look good, and have played well this year. May make a push for a top spot in the south. Tied a top team from the north, followed by a drubbing from Regina makes me wonder if consistancy might be an issue. Although injuries play a role in all this to.

My picks are:
North East and West Central battling it out for top spot in north
Regina Pat Blues and either Swift Current or Prairie Storm tops in South

things may change though as everyone gets rolling.

Old
10-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Superbowlfishca

REPLY - Been Watching- SBAAHL

I have yet to see NE play. Their domination of Melville is a bit of a surprise. I have seen Mellville play twice this year and they looked average at best both times. This is a team that has upside but so far they have not looked good.

Very much agree on Regina teams. PA also has some good talent so they may be the surprise team of the SBAAHL but they have yet to play any of the other top teams in the league so the jury is still out on them.

Melville has a tournament this weekend so I will get a chance to see them, Humbolt, estevan, weyburn and the Regina Blues. Should be fun.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:33 AM
nah68

I don't put alot of stock into recent results, the season being early, its a crap shoot as to were teams will finish. Kids moving into new systems, extended travel times, play alot into the performance of teams. Watching Wc and swift tie, then hearing swift getting thumped by blues.....does that mean swift can't compete with top teams in south, or does that put Wc in line for a beating from regina blues. I would say looking at these teams half way in will give us all a better idea as to were they stand.

Old
10-12-2012, 01:05 PM
northernblizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
Can you post that link? When I type it in I just get some site that has a variety of hockey associated stuff but I can't find anything. I may be computer "slow".

Thanks Blizz
http://www.centrefourhockeyleague.ca...44&link=esdNew

Old
10-12-2012, 04:33 PM
IDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernblizzard View Post
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Old
10-13-2012, 01:48 PM
coach kleats

Stoon Teams

Has anyone seen any of the Saskatoon Teams yet? How do they look/stack up?

Old
10-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Superbowlfishca

Melville AA Bantam Hockey Tournament Oct13-14

Very well organized and officiated tournament. Kudos to organizing committee. Kudos to all the officials. Very consistent and fair officiating.
Final Records
Regina Pat Blues win A final of tournament 4-3 over Melville in a shootout. Final record 4-0.
Meager in goal played well in both the Melville and Yorkton games.
Melville 3-1
Yorkton (3-1) win B Final over Estevan(2-2) 7-1. Yorkton’s only loss in pool play 2-1 to Regina Blues.
Kylan Shae best player on the ice for both teams in Estevan game
Humbolt (2-2) beat Weyburn(1-3) in C final.
Comments- Estevan beat Humbolt 4-1 Matt Bill scored 2 for Estevan and had strong game. Cameron lavoie had very strong game in goal. Erik Gardiner and Mathew Parsons very strong for Humbolt.

Results of most games were very close again. Its going to be a great Bantam AA league this year. As results in leageu games were alos very close. Shocker of the weekend was ND tie against what i think is a pretty good Sask Valley team.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Superbowlfishca

Got a chance to watch ND Bantam team play Yorkton in Midget AA action.(5-2 for ND) What a hockey game. Dilon Dube best player on the ice for ND. Great speed and hands and scored a highlight reel top shelf goal to put game away. Kaden Elder ripped a back hand goal in first. The line of Elder - Ross(with 2) - Dube dominated.
Both goaltenders played great- Fergeson for ND- (not sure where this kid is from?) and Palchewich for Yorkton.
This team has no weakness on defense and Nolan Reid is injured so with him they will be good.

That being said this Midget AA hockey is a huge step above Bantam AA. Anybody who gets a chance to go see these games should. ND will compete well in this league but none of their games will be a cake walk.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:11 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach kleats View Post
Has anyone seen any of the Saskatoon Teams yet? How do they look/stack up?
As usual, it should be a competitive year within the league with not a lot of difference between first and last ranked teams. If i was to hazard a guess, the top three will likely be the Frosbite, Maniacs, and Stallions (in that order) followed by the Generals, Bandits, and Outlaws(also in that order).

The 98 class isn't one of the strongest in recent years, especially with the absence of Elder, Pilon, and Ramsay. This situation is somewhat mitigated by having a deep - in quality and quantity - group of 99 first years. When it's all said and done, i wouldn't be surprised if it ends up rivaling the 96 class.

As a group I would expect them to be competitive in Regina and PA, but lacking the offensive depth to go deep and compete with the elite teams. However, the goaltending is strong enough to be able to provide some upsets.

Top Second Year Players: Braden Camrud (F - Maniacs), Cole Young (F- Frostbite), Curran Reeve (D - Outlaws), Ben Abrook (D - Bandits), Jordan Malainey (D - Generals), Derrick Hucul (G - Frostbite), and Declan Hobbs (G - Generals).

Top First Year Players: Dawson Holt (F - Generals), Jake Leschyshyn (F - Stallions), Brody Vogel (F - Bandits), Ty Prefontaine (D - Maniacs), Jared Binsfield (D - Outlaws), Ashton Heidt (D - Frostbite), and Tye Morin (G - Maniacs).

Old
10-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Superbowlfishca

Other top 99's in Saskatoon that were missed Parker Galvas D, Luke McLeoad F, Dino Antondonias F. Good update. Keep us posted on further scores or stats. I have tried to find things online here(http://smha.sk.ca/statistics.php?league_id=17207&lang=1) but in peewee it was never updated. Maybe it is better in Bantam.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:34 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbowlfishca View Post
Other top 99's in Saskatoon that were missed Parker Galvas D, Luke McLeoad F, Dino Antondonias F. Good update. Keep us posted on further scores or stats. I have tried to find things online here(http://smha.sk.ca/statistics.php?league_id=17207&lang=1) but in peewee it was never updated. Maybe it is better in Bantam.
Good additions. I shortened my list for brevity's sake, but you could add Xavier Labelle (D), Payton Ochitwa (D), Anthony DiPaolo (D), Keegan Randell (D), Cole Beckman (F), Evan Thomas (F), and Quentin Ong (F) to a deep group of first year players.

As for stats, you're out of luck. For some reason the GSHL doesn't keep any for any age level. Very frustrating.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Superbowlfishca

Yes forgot about Quinton. Great player, quick, smart. Has he grown any??

Old
10-20-2012, 05:59 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbowlfishca View Post
Yes forgot about Quinton. Great player, quick, smart. Has he grown any??
Still pretty small. But fun to watch.

Closed Thread