Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2013, 11:10 AM
nah68

vCash: 500
What happened to Sask valley, there moving up in standings and there scores show them to have a sufficient def to compete?

Old
01-02-2013, 06:09 PM
nosoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah68 View Post
What happened to Sask valley, there moving up in standings and there scores show them to have a sufficient def to compete?
Looks like they have tightened up on defense only more than 2 goals against 3 times in the last 9 games, 1 3goal game and 2 4 goal games.

Gives the average offense a chance to pull games out. I though they would score more than they are but my understanding is they are rolling lines equally this year instead of giving a "top 5" all the prime ice which has been the case in the past.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:16 PM
nah68

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup View Post
Looks like they have tightened up on defense only more than 2 goals against 3 times in the last 9 games, 1 3goal game and 2 4 goal games.

Gives the average offense a chance to pull games out. I though they would score more than they are but my understanding is they are rolling lines equally this year instead of giving a "top 5" all the prime ice which has been the case in the past.
Ya watched them in preseason, thought there offense would be potent, watched game in NB the score was 1-0, both goalies played great....fun to watch.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:09 AM
nah68

Just a few questions?
1. Can WC hang onto 1st? D, and goalie close have been strong, but do they have enough offense to finish?
2. Can NE catch WC? I thought so at one time, but have changed my views a bit, wonder if they are pressed what happens behind bench don't bite them.
3. Can P.A hold onto 3rd? Thats a question that time will answer I guess, scoring isn't a problem, but do they have the defense and goaltending to compete.
4. Can SV score? A problem thats haunted them all year, been impressed with d, but which goalie shoulders load to win in playoffs.
5. Does NB have defense to win? I think they do, they really do need stellar performances out of goalie Flath or this team won't fly far. They can score, they just need a better team game and they can't be taken lightly.
6. Does Humboldt have some magic to make some noise? probably not but when playoffs roll around anything is possible.
Also what has happened with the storm, swift, and melville...I thought storm and swift would be top 3 in south?

Old
01-03-2013, 04:15 PM
beenwatching

Hey good questions. Here is what i think

1.They have a good chance at first, but if they finish there it won't be by much. Their depth up front will be their challenge.
2.I have heard that NE was suffering in man power to finish up before christmas. I believe their last game against SV they were short 5 or 6 regulars, and playing a couple of AP's. Them finishing ahead of WC will depend on staying healthy and their coach not lossing his team with his antics. This is the deepest team in the league again this year.
3.I really don't think PA will hang on to third unless on SV and Bat. self destruct. They have a tough schedule ahead of them and will have to prove themselves all over.
4.SV will have to win their games 1-0 or 2-1. I don't see a bunch of offense coming from this group. But a 1-0 win is a win, and thats all you need. They will be on PA's heals and possibly passing them in the long run.
5.Battlefords defense is ok, and really could finish anywhere this year. Time will tell how good this group is. I don't want to say to much, have only seen them play a couple of times this year.
6.Humbodlt will finish in the basement again, and may take advantage of teams taking them lightly, but in the long run will still be in the basement.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Superbowlfishca

Nh hounds sbaahl

Notice that ND plays a 32 games schedule while all other teams only play a 27 game schedule in the south. Does that mean that ND can not compete in the playoffs??? Anyone know?

Old
01-07-2013, 02:37 PM
beenwatching

I drove down and watched the NE play Humboldt in humboldt. A couple of things i noticed. There seemed to be quite a few NE players missing, and they are using AP's. Are there still a bunch of injuries on that team?

There were a couple of players that i wonder why they don't garner some attention. Stenson in net for Humboldt looked very good. He kept his team in it. If not for him it would have been a high scoring affair. Stobbs for NE looked very good. He is big, smooth, works hard, and makes the kids he is playing with better. Leading his teams in goals scored. Pikientio from NE looks like a very steady defensive defenseman. Nothing fancy, but works hard and has a nice shot.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:29 AM
nah68

[QUOTE=beenwatching;57246075]I drove down and watched the NE play Humboldt.
There were a couple of players that i wonder why they don't garner some attention. If you are wondering why they don't get attention from western elite prospects? Thats because the guy has no idea what he's doing. Its one guys opinion over yours, only differnce is he has a web site.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:35 AM
pucktalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbowlfishca View Post
Notice that ND plays a 32 games schedule while all other teams only play a 27 game schedule in the south. Does that mean that ND can not compete in the playoffs??? Anyone know?
Last year ND games were all exhibition. This year they have allowed the points earned to count for their opposition, I assume to make the opposition feel like the games matter. I do not believe they can play in playoffs as they are not a AA team when they have kids from across the world. They do not meet the criteria for "AA" in Sask. They weren't allowed in last year and I'm fairly confident saying that they aren't this year either.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:49 PM
nah68

Buyer Beware! For those of you who follow western Elite web site, don't be suprised what this guy writes and posts. He gets score wrong, names wrong, and worst of all rankings! Not only with teams but players, I would love to know how he comes up with player rankings, but he won't answer any of my post....go figure. He claims to be a x scout, I wonder why? Couldn't do it at the whl level and still can't get it right at the bantam level. I really think this bantam draft is B.S anyways, really only the top 30 kids geta real look anyways.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:38 PM
nosoup

Wow! That was a rough weekend for PA. WEHP actually had them ranked as the top AA team in Sask at one point after feasting on ND, Humbolt for four games and MJ and Swift 1 each:

??

Top 5 Saskatchewan AA Bantam
1. Prince Albert Venice House Raiders (6-0-0 49-13)
2. West Central Wheat Kings (5-0-1 26-13)
3. Balgonie Prairie Storm (2-1-0 15-7)
4. Regina Pat Blues (2-0-0 13-2)
5. Saskatoon Maniacs (0-0-1 3-3)

Maniacs are currently 5th in a 6 team league.

Last edited by nosoup: 01-14-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 06:40 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

The Maniacs are 5th in a 6 team league. Of course, this is a league where the first and last teams are separated by a grand total of 5 points. The Maniacs have also played only one game this year with their complete roster and since the PA tournament have been down 3-5 players for every game (including having lost their #1 goalie during the Christmas break for 4-6 weeks). This isn't a defense of having the Maniacs in the top-5, it's just some perspective. Frankly, this is a weak year for the Saskatoon bantam class. Next year, if the SMHA proposal is accepted by the SHA and combined with a strong 99 base, expect some powerhouse teams. It's cyclical.

That aside, i'm wondering why all the venom directed at WEHP? It's a free website. Who else is providing this kind of service at the bantam level? Yes, there are errors in spelling and scores. And yes, i personally might want more analysis over scoring stats. But it is what it is: a one-man show with limited resources. Those expecting TSN standards or the equivalent to Central Scouting, well, maybe you should give your heads a shake. That's not happening at this level.

As for player rankings being wrong...seriously? For the last couple of years the WEHP first round rankings have actually been fairly accurate. This makes sense since the author follows a Bob McKenzie style of draft analysis by accessing a number of different scouts. Of course, the farther you get away from the first round, the more variance there's going to be. This is a bantam age draft afterall, not the NHL. There isn't a comparable body of work for these players to be judged on, not to mention a huge amount of guess work in growth projections. That's why, unlike the NHL, there's a large amount of later round draft picks (not to mention all those who went undrafted) who make and excel on WHL teams. It's an inexact science. So why is WEHP being held to a higher standard than team scouting staffs, especially considering nothing he says will affect the draft status of your kid or grandkid?

Old
01-15-2013, 07:31 PM
nosoup

You seem a little touchy there dickie, I don't know if you were directing the "venom" and "give your head a shake" comments at me, but I actually like WEHP and appreciate what he does. But if you're going to put rankings out there they are going to be critiqued, learn to live with that.

You're right there is pretty good parity in the Saskatoon league, I wonder what the criteria were for selecting maniacs as the 5th best team in the province after a 3-3 tie in their only regular season game at that point?

I heard that one of the Saskatoon teams got beat by a tier 2 team 8-3 or something like that, thats gotta sting a bit...

Old
01-16-2013, 12:33 AM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup View Post
You seem a little touchy there dickie, I don't know if you were directing the "venom" and "give your head a shake" comments at me, but I actually like WEHP and appreciate what he does. But if you're going to put rankings out there they are going to be critiqued, learn to live with that.

You're right there is pretty good parity in the Saskatoon league, I wonder what the criteria were for selecting maniacs as the 5th best team in the province after a 3-3 tie in their only regular season game at that point?

I heard that one of the Saskatoon teams got beat by a tier 2 team 8-3 or something like that, thats gotta sting a bit...
Hey Nosoup,

Apologies. Didn't mean to send any venom your way. The first paragraph was directed to you but the last two were more a response to some posts here and at other sites (including the WEHP). Seriously, I don't know what it is about bantam hockey that causes so many to become unhinged. Criticism is one thing but some of the things being said are just dumb.

As for the criteria for picking the Maniacs that early, I can't say. Losing the top 3 forwards to other leagues, combined with a shallow 98 pool, should have been a tip-off that no Saskatoon team would likely be top-5 in the province. Then again, the GSHL has been strong for the last couple of years, so maybe WEHP thought that trend would continue. Or maybe the team rankings are a means to create traffic for the site? Who knows? Ultimately, I really only care about the player rankings. I've never sensed any kind of "pay for play" with the site and for the most part I find them interesting and fairly informative, which given their limited resources and the nature of bantam hockey, is about all I expect.

8-3, eh? Ouch. Didn't hear about that. I suspect that will change next year.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:13 AM
nah68

[QUOTE=dickiedunnwrotethis;57648897]The Maniacs are 5th in a 6 team league. Of course, this is a league where the first and last teams are separated by a grand total of 5 points. The Maniacs have also played only one game this year with their complete roster and since the PA tournament have been down 3-5 players for every game (including having lost their #1 goalie during the Christmas break for 4-6 weeks).

And this is why I think WEHP is a little off, you've defended the maniacs for there inability to compete and win because of circumstances that don't get written on game sheets, or end up in boxscores and that is were Mr. neisz pulls his info from. He writes blogs on teams and players by watching the sbaahl web site browsing the box scores. Sorry but thats not reporting thats copying, yes copy the score but making comments about players when you werent there to watch....zip it! Cause if you get it wrong then you have people like me saying "thats not the way it happened". And thats how I believe this gentleman comes up with some of his rankings.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:33 AM
lefthook

[QUOTE=nah68;57668221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
The Maniacs are 5th in a 6 team league. Of course, this is a league where the first and last teams are separated by a grand total of 5 points. The Maniacs have also played only one game this year with their complete roster and since the PA tournament have been down 3-5 players for every game (including having lost their #1 goalie during the Christmas break for 4-6 weeks).

And this is why I think WEHP is a little off, you've defended the maniacs for there inability to compete and win because of circumstances that don't get written on game sheets, or end up in boxscores and that is were Mr. neisz pulls his info from. He writes blogs on teams and players by watching the sbaahl web site browsing the box scores. Sorry but thats not reporting thats copying, yes copy the score but making comments about players when you werent there to watch....zip it! Cause if you get it wrong then you have people like me saying "thats not the way it happened". And thats how I believe this gentleman comes up with some of his rankings.
So how would you rank the teams then ? just wondering ?

Old
01-18-2013, 09:20 AM
nah68

[QUOTE=lefthook;57779481]
Quote:

The sbaahl has the top 5 teams in province, north and south. No offence to Stoon but with 6 teams they aren't in that mix....At 5 probably are, at 4 definitely 1 team in top 3. Tons of talent in stoon with 99's, and am hearing that they are joining league with 4 teams. Was there a vote taken? last I heard Saskatoon residence didn't want to join now they are?

Old
01-18-2013, 09:38 AM
lefthook

[QUOTE=nah68;57781053]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook View Post

The sbaahl has the top 5 teams in province, north and south. No offence to Stoon but with 6 teams they aren't in that mix....At 5 probably are, at 4 definitely 1 team in top 3. Tons of talent in stoon with 99's, and am hearing that they are joining league with 4 teams. Was there a vote taken? last I heard Saskatoon residence didn't want to join now they are?
I would agree with that , saskatoon had a vote (online) which voted down joining the sbaahl and i would say the same thing will happen next year - the vote may be different next year but ?
I would say the north is proving to be stronger than the south , but not all teams have seen each other yet ! Interested in the Blues vs NE

Old
01-19-2013, 09:40 AM
dickiedunnwrotethis

[QUOTE=lefthook;57779481]
Quote:

I didn't go to Regina or PA this year, but if I had to hazard a guess I think the Saskatoon teams would be in the 10 to 18 range. If the 3 kids who left the GSHL had stayed, maybe they could have been in 8 to 16 territory. Or I could be totally out to lunch. Team rankings really aren't my thing.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:02 AM
dickiedunnwrotethis

smha proposal

I don't have any inside information, but what I've heard from reliable sources is that if the SMHA proposal is accepted, then it's a done deal. No vote.

The proposal itself would create four "provincial" teams that would compete in the North division. Four tier II teams would be created that would have direct affiliations with the provincial teams (much like the system NHL and AHL clubs have). The tier II teams would be in a league with various satellite communites in the Saskatoon area.

Apparently there is a Plan B if the SHA doesn't accept the proposal, but given that this is what the SHA has wanted all along, I don't see them rejecting it.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:08 AM
nah68

[QUOTE=dickiedunnwrotethis;57834623]I don't have any inside information, but what I've heard from reliable sources is that if the SMHA proposal is accepted, then it's a done deal. No vote.

Thats interesting, the people I've talked to in Stoon, out of 8.....7 were not in favour of joining? As for the 4 tier 2 teams thats a hard one to understand, would they then let in calvet, martensville, and Warman. Cause they are already in that tier 2 league? aren't they? joining really goes against what the city has been trying to protect by not joining, thats why I'm suprised that they are not gonna be given a say in it. Do you know what Stoon's population is, including acreages?

Old
01-20-2013, 11:45 AM
dickiedunnwrotethis

[QUOTE=nah68;57930771]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
I don't have any inside information, but what I've heard from reliable sources is that if the SMHA proposal is accepted, then it's a done deal. No vote.

Thats interesting, the people I've talked to in Stoon, out of 8.....7 were not in favour of joining? As for the 4 tier 2 teams thats a hard one to understand, would they then let in calvet, martensville, and Warman. Cause they are already in that tier 2 league? aren't they? joining really goes against what the city has been trying to protect by not joining, thats why I'm suprised that they are not gonna be given a say in it. Do you know what Stoon's population is, including acreages?
I believe it - the tier II league - would be much like it is now, but with fewer Saskatoon teams. Currently Martensville, Clavet, Delisle, and Dundurn are participating. Warman would make sense geographically, but I'm not sure if the powers- that- be want to see them leave the C4. Last I heard the population is 235,000 and the greater Saskatoon area to be 270,000 (not sure if this includes Warman and Martensville at approx. 8000 each).

Just a guess, but i wouldn't be surprised if the relatively poor showings in Regina and PA, combined with players leaving the area, have changed a few minds.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Friendlyfire

[QUOTE=dickiedunnwrotethis;57935411][QUOTE=nah68;

Just a guess, but i wouldn't be surprised if the relatively poor showings in Regina and PA, combined with players leaving the area, have changed a few minds.[/QUOTE]

I have heard the " vote " is happening at the zone levels and not involving the parents of the potential players at all ( because they have previously voted against it). Not exactly honouring the spirit of "membership" in a non profit organization.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:23 PM
nah68

[QUOTE=Friendlyfire;57935951][QUOTE=dickiedunnwrotethis;57935411]

I have heard the " vote " is happening at the zone levels and not involving the parents of the potential players at all ( because they have previously voted against it). Not exactly honouring the spirit of "membership" in a non prof

Not exactly sure why they would be allowed in league with only 4 teams, maybe just another way for SHA to try get Sask to a six team league. 3 in the south 3 in the north, Ive been an advocate for Stoon to join and do believe that they should, but they are no longer the GSHL which takes 40k of people away from there draw area. SHA should keep there zones as they do in Sask first instead of 2 seperate zones, one for sbaahl, and one for sask first. Sha needs to realize with 4 teams that Stoon has a population draw of 67k, and Regina even worse at 73k. Places like Humboldt, westcentral, P.A, even NB only have a draw of approx 30k. Some worse than that maybe 15-20. They should work it out but knowing SHA they really don't give a hoot.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Superbowlfishca

SBAAHL Predictions

North Pretty much locked down.

Early in the year I predicted the following in the South:
Regina Pat Blues, Swift Current, Melville, Prairie Storm in the South. I stand by that prediction.

Comments:
Melville are the one team that has not performed as I expected but I predict they will be one of the surprise teams come playoff time. Yorkton has slightly underperformed but have the potential to beat any team on any given night, as do the other two Regina teams but they are
a step below the above 4. Estevan has performed admirably but a key injury to an already weak D leaves them in trouble and a further step below the above 7.

I see NE and SwiftCurrent in the Provincial Final with Swift maybe winning it all.

Closed Thread