HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2011, 01:55 PM
PokeCheck101

vCash: 500
Incidentally I thought FIALA, SCHATZ had strong game against Brandon. Saw an awful lot of SHEARER and COMPTON on the back end for Brandon.... Play on seperate D pairings but on the PP they're on together. Nice tandem.

Last edited by PokeCheck101: 11-25-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old
11-15-2011, 09:15 AM
nosoup

It has been requested by Sask Valley team officials that information pertaining to their team not be made public, therefor my posts are being deleted.

Last edited by nosoup: 11-15-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old
11-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Rshields

Melfort /Tisdale @ 10-0. Big improvement over last season when they were an easy place to pick up points.
Prairie Storm ( Balgonie? ) also 6-0. Did they benefit from the consolidation?
Martinsville/Warman not doing as well as expected but maybe a team that waits for one guy to carry the load.
Battleford stronger than their record indicates.
Is this the new SBAAAL or just a good year for some teams?
How many will these teams draft?
I'll bet NE drafts 6+.
What do you think Soup Nazi?

Old
11-23-2011, 11:56 AM
itsafansgame101

Really nosoup, and your actually going to listen to them

Old
11-30-2011, 02:19 PM
hockeylocker

Must be tough for nosoup to bite his tonque especially after beating Battlefords 8-1.

Old
12-01-2011, 01:33 PM
itsafansgame101

Where is Dickie Dunn when you need him, he used to have great breakdowns from Martensville.

"It must be true Dickie Dunn wrote it." Reg Dunlop, Slapshot

Old
12-05-2011, 11:04 AM
hockeylocker

The mighty Wolfpack have suffered defeat to Sask Valley and sadly, no words from nosoup. Will be an interesting PA tournament as I suspect the Vipers will make further statements. Looks like things are on the roll in Valley land of late. For North East, just a loss. Will see how they respond to a loss when they are in PA.

Old
12-07-2011, 12:45 AM
PokeCheck101

It was a tight game obviously between NE and SV. I'm wondering if anyone caught the game? Looks like SV PP was 2 for 3... That's a difference maker right there when you have two quality teams in a tight game.... Shots relatively even with both sides trading advantage over two periods... 3rd had shots even up at 11..... Anyone catch the game? Any stand outs?

Old
12-12-2011, 05:02 PM
plumbob9

any news from the PA tourny this past weekend heard prairie storm was strong once again and Weyburn upset the wolfpack

Old
12-13-2011, 10:27 AM
coach kleats

Over all the PA tourny was a good one with the usual cream rising to the top. The surprise obviously was the Stoon Maniacs making it to the final altough with the way the draw was set up it was going to be a 'surprise' team making it against a top end team. (On a side note i think the PA tournament committee should be ashamed of themeselves for so blatantly setting up the draw to favor the home town team to get to the final. I guess they didn't consider that they actually have to win thier games for thier plan to unfold).

The Prairie Storm, Weyburn and Northeast are clearly at the top of the province. Sask Valley is slightly behind those three (though it was curious that they lost to Humboldt). After that it is a crap shoot. Mellville is off and on and there are a handfull of other teams that are in the mix.

Humboldt had a really good weekend with a short bench which makes thier league record seem odd.

It is difficult to say where the Stoon teams fall into the mix. The Maniacs showed well in the final against PS. It was a good game that could have went either way. They got a terrible bounce on what proved to be the game winner.

Old
12-13-2011, 12:43 PM
plumbob9

Very surprised to hear Humboldt beat SK Valley and tie Weyburn both games come from behind I guess they finally figured out its a 60 minute game not 40. Is it other teams catching up to the wolfpack or are they just getting complaisant

Old
12-13-2011, 10:52 PM
beenwatching

The Draw in pa was done very poorly. One pool gets a short cut to final? Unusual. Sask Valley played some good, and some sloppy hockey. Humboldt was the surprise of the weekend playing that short and being that sucessful. Will this play carry over to league games? Melville looked very good at times, and yet very par at times. The game of the tournament was easily the Weyburn and North East game. Reffing seemed pretty onesided against N.E., but that happens and you have to play through it. Both teams played very hard and physical. Weyburn got some great goaltending, Northeast didn't seem to use the depth of their team to their advantage. i'm sure there was some bruises after that game. "A" final was good, both teams played well. no real surprises other than a couple of odd bounces.

Old
12-15-2011, 10:20 AM
PokeCheck101

SHA Clamping Down On Spring Hockey

Interesting info coming out from Sask... SHA is putting the kibosh on spring hockey skates during winter season (or trying to).... They are going under their Tampering rule in the rule book.... Apparently with some bite to their bark too. Spring hockey always started around March but over the past few years has gotten earlier and earlier... Like December for "pre tryout skates." I'm not a fan ALWAYS with SHA rulings but I must admit, it was only a matter of time. Anyone else see it differently?

Old
12-15-2011, 10:51 AM
riderfan

What a bunch of bs as long as the skates dont interfere with sha santioned games or practices what is the difference between that and a kid going out for extra powerskating or hockey development?

Old
12-15-2011, 11:14 AM
nosoup

Threatening to ban kids from hockey for a year. Well done SHA

Old
12-15-2011, 04:38 PM
NotTooLate

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderfan View Post
What a bunch of bs as long as the skates dont interfere with sha santioned games or practices what is the difference between that and a kid going out for extra powerskating or hockey development?
The difference is that SHA does not trust the average hockey dad from not interfering with regular winter hockey games. And do you blame them? Coaches would be rescheduling games, cancelling practices, etc...
This is a good decision. Kids get enough hockey in the winter. They don't need spring/summer hockey in December!

Old
12-16-2011, 10:15 PM
PokeCheck101

I've been on both sides of the fence on this. Spring hockey is not for everyone for sure. In fact, growing up it was non existent. However it has some merit if coached properly and managed properly. I've seen alot of different programs and as is sometimes the case, the coach of the spring team could not (or was voted not to) coach a winter team.... So what you end up with "sometimes" are coaches running around with agendas (typically centering a team around potentially their own kid). However, when done properly with skill development in mind, it can be beneficial. With the demands of winter hockey I don't see a point to starting spring hockey in Oct, Nov or Dec. The argument is so that those teams can get a leg up on their competition come Champions Cup time in May... The reality is, by starting early you do interfere with winter teams. I have seen winter teams with kids from various spring teams on them and talk turns to spring hockey and how one team is going to do better than the other, etc, etc... You bet it's a distraction for the coaches and the kids who's parents CHOOSE not to participate in spring hockey. Winter coaches are trying to implement systems that work for the team while the spring team is on a totally different page. Plus, I will tell you that spring hockey can burn a kid out especially when they play at the pee wee and bantam rep team level. There's burn out, fatigue, injury and some kids simply do lose the desire. Like I said, SHA doesn't always make the best decisions but having sat back on this one I think it was the right one.

Old
12-16-2011, 10:24 PM
PokeCheck101

.... Again, what is the rationale behind starting spring hockey earlier and earlier? Ultimately to win what? A trophy at a tournament where the same group of kids may not even be together again? As opposed to winter hockey within a league, playdowns and provincials. I'm going out on a limb here folks... I've been to many many winter games at elite levels and I've been to many many spring tournaments at elite levels.... There is far more scouting interest in winter hockey than spring. Having been through it for several years I can safely say invest the $5, 000 in a RESP or a fraction of it toward winter developmental camps from a reputable hockey school. I also put this out there, correct me if I'm wrong, spring programs familiar to me don't even ask for criminal record checks for coaches and managers.... They are a private entity. Potentially scary. If it is becoming the norm, then SHA should simply insure players year round and regulate it. Or leave it for after March 31 to start.

Old
12-16-2011, 10:28 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderfan View Post
Pay for extra powerskating from a reputable hockey school. You'll get more one on one with correction and less flow drills.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:08 PM
nosoup

Might be better to discuss spring hockey in a separate thread so as not to send this one too far of topic.

Thats just my opinion though...

Old
12-18-2011, 07:52 PM
PokeCheck101

I agree... How do you create a new post?

Old
12-21-2011, 01:28 PM
hockeylocker

Christmas Wish List:
Northern Division
North East - a healthy Caleb Seaman. Despite probably having the best depth in Saskatchewan (4 scorers in the top 20 -Paziuk,
Elder, Zary, Grambo;solid D with Fiske, Long; plus Amundrud making a mark in net) they appear not to be the same without Seaman in the lineup.
Sask Valley - the return of nosoup to the blog. Have a serious chance of overtaking Wolfpack for #1. Need scoring besides Draude if they want to continue improving. Maybe Rothenburger and Fox-Zacharias are the answer.
West Central - continue to believe in themselves; a team to watch out in the 2nd half. Despite smaller, Brandan Arnold is providing the offense. Spencer Bast has made an impact as well. Collins has been solid on the blueline.
Battlefords - where has been Keifer Hintz? Had better numbers last year as a first year. Layne Young has made the jump from A to AA without much problem. Vidal has taken advantage of playing on a stronger team and continues to improve as one of the leagues top 10 D.
Prince Albert - consistency - a Jekyl and Hyde team thus far. Campesse, Gunville, and Morrison have been to Western Canadians. They will continue to be asked of doing more.
Humboldt - less injuries with the likes of Drew Litwin. On the flipside, they seem to be doing better of late without Litwin in the lineup. Odelien has picked up the slack in Litwin's absence. Is Humboldt a team to watch out for in 2012?

Last edited by hockeylocker: 12-21-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 02:35 PM
beenwatching

I have heard that one of the Winnipeg AAA teams is coming to Sask. to play some exhibition games with Prairie Storm and Norteast Wolfpack. To bad there not making stops in Sask Valley and Weyburn as well. Any predictions on how these games will go? I may try and get to these games if the weather is decent.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:32 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenwatching View Post
I have heard that one of the Winnipeg AAA teams is coming to Sask. to play some exhibition games with Prairie Storm and Norteast Wolfpack. To bad there not making stops in Sask Valley and Weyburn as well. Any predictions on how these games will go? I may try and get to these games if the weather is decent.
Haven't heard. I'd be interested in that as well.

SV lost to NB tonight 4-2. Slow start. If I'm not mistaken, first game back after break. Full line up I believe though. 4-0 after 40 min.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:07 AM
beenwatching

Northeast tied winnipeg at 3's. pretty good game, wolfpack looked a little sluggish at times. Could tell they were a couple of weeks since playing a game. They were out shot by Winnipeg by 8 or 10 shots, but had to kill more penalties including the last 4 minutes of the game. Amundrud played very well. Wolfpacks third goal to tie it was a dump in from just across the red line that fooled the goalie. It really could have gone either way with both teams being robbed of what appeared to be sure goals. Fisk was sitting a suspension and could have been the difference and turned the tie into a win. Roads were terrible, will not be making the trip tomorrow. If someone is there could they give us their thoughts?

Closed Thread