HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez: What's Being Done?

Old
06-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Cyclones Rock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
IMO, the Gomez decision says a lot about Geoff Molson and his intentions with this franchise.

If he is committed to a winning product, he will dump gomez in the minors.

No Buyout, no 4th line NHL time..

Well said. QFT

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:36 PM
JuJu Mobb

If Gomez comes back next year, I'm no longer a fan of the Montreal Canadiens...

JuJu Mobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:31 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post
If Gomez comes back next year, I'm no longer a fan of the Montreal Canadiens...
Just imagine a Gomez-Kovalev combo ...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Lets look at it this way to our friends up in Beautiful "Ville de Quebec" It's not Quebec Cites job to have KLM (As an example) landing everyday! It's Montreal s job! Quebec is beautiful, Montreal is greater, we all fight for Montreal, Let us go! The team is called the Canadians. Not the Quebec'es, let it go & let us do our jobs, Montreal is worth it everyday!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
This! We don;t land Aircraft everyday for fun! I's hard work! We deserve to be International & bring Home Lord Stanley's MUG!

Loerd Stanley's MIG is ours, it's not about trying to make the play-off, it'a about bringing what is ours home!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:58 PM
LaTenderness

I have no idea what you're talking about MaxPac or why you want MIG to bring Pittsburghs cup ring home to us ??

LaTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:37 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenderness View Post
Can u not politely ask him to restructure his contract? It happens all the time in the NFL. If not bury him in the Hammer.
Unbelievably, not allowed. Stupid as hell. Hurts teams, and hurts players who are waived.

Last edited by bsl: 06-16-2012 at 01:11 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:41 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Bergy will take him behind the shed.
I have no problem with gay marriage.

Old
06-16-2012, 12:48 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think he has necessarily lost his skill but he can't be effective in Montreal, the contract and trade(McDonagh) is too heavy a burden. If he was to get a fresh start elswhere he would probably bounce back pretty good, unfortunately the habs can't afford that in terms of buyout(8 mil cap room down the toilet for 12-13 and 13-14) or re-entry waivers(3.67 mil cap hit each of the next two years, 7.35 mil total).

I think it would not be fair of G.Molson to ask that of his rookie GM to start out 4 mil short in cap room the next 2 years trying to "fix" the team with a weak UFA class to boot.
Exactly. I f Bergy did not make sending Gomer down or out without buyout a condition, then he was a fool. No way I take the Job the Gomer disaster hurting my work.

Old
06-16-2012, 12:54 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think bringing him to camp and giving him a shot is a realistic option unless they have no good candidates to spend 7 mil cap space on.

You have to build your roster pretty much by August 1st, that gives you the next 6 weeks to sign your RFA's UFA and other UFA's or make trades. If you want to get a winger and a stay at home d-man to plug holes, you can't wait until October to see how Gomez looks to sign somebody because by then all the good buys are gone. In the cap world you build 90% your NHL team from mid June to August 1st and tweak the other 46 weeks of the year.
You can go over the cap in summer. Parise and Suter are not coming. If we want to sign 2 UFA for 7Mill total, I think we're OK. Dumb to panic on Gomer, lots of options in September for him. And you never know, someone might ask about him.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:00 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, even if Gomez is ultimately going to be the victim of a compliance buyout (post Sept. 15th) or demotion to the minors (Sept/Oct), he's going to be on our cap until then. (Unless bought out NOW).

So I don't see how it affects things either way. I'd *try* to improve the team by using the 10% allowance to spend over the cap on July 1st. If I can succeed with that, great, if not, yikes - bad news for our team for the upcoming season. But either way, we still have Gomez. And you can't just ban him from attending training camp if he's there on a legit NHL contract and there isn't a work stoppage due to the CBA issue.

But hey, at least maybe we can lure extra quality free agents again... guys, we have the legendary Scott Gomez on our team, come and sign with us. Some people think that worked in the past, maybe it can work for us again. Although maybe we have to change the sales pitch... "see what a great organization we are, how well we pay our players, and keep paying them even after they underachieve... we didn't even buy out Scott Gomez... sign here, we have excellent benefits and offer superb job security... "
What? Of course you can ban him from attending camp. You say: Don't come to camp.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:04 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
What? Of course you can ban him from attending camp. You say: Don't come to camp.
Why on Earth would they do that?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:08 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
True. However, if the Habs spend to the cap-which they seem to always do-the full value of the Gomez cap hits (roughly $14.7 million) will ultimately be spent by the team in new salaries plus the $10 million which Gomez will be paid.

The total cost to the team of spending to the cap and paying Gomez his "off cap" salary will be in the $25 million range over the next two seasons. That's more than Ovechkin costs the Capitals or Stamkos costs the Lightning.

Ouch.
The Habs always spend to the cap. Thus the Cap is a constant.

Gassing Gomer and paying him 10 mill is the total cost, not more.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:54 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
The Habs always spend to the cap. Thus the Cap is a constant.

Gassing Gomer and paying him 10 mill is the total cost, not more.
Yes it would be.

If Gomez is on the roster for the next two years, he will make $10 million and be a $15m cap hit.

If he is not on the team and in the minors he will be making $10m and the team will spend an additional $15m on other players. Gomez will not be part of a cap hit if in the minors. Total cost $25 million.

If his contract is bought out, the total cost would be less than $25 million. Gomez would only be paid $6.7 million, and the cap hit around $11.5 million (according to capgeek.com). The Canadiens would then spend the remaining $3.5 million in cap space. The total cost would be roughly $22 million.

All these figures assume that the Canadiens spend to the cap for the next two seasons.

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 06-16-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 02:08 AM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Just imagine a Gomez-Kovalev combo ...
Won't work they'll bump into each other as they skate away from the net.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 05:46 AM
baldrick

If Gomez stays it moves Eller to the 4th line with White/Geoffrion/Staubitz/Blunden.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 06:03 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
If Gomez stays it moves Eller to the 4th line with White/Geoffrion/Staubitz/Blunden.
Let him sit on his lofty perch in the press gallery and observe what NHL players are required to do nowadays. If he misses a game, dock his salary.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Yes it would be.

If Gomez is on the roster for the next two years, he will make $10 million and be a $15m cap hit.

If he is not on the team and in the minors he will be making $10m and the team will spend an additional $15m on other players. Gomez will not be part of a cap hit if in the minors. Total cost $25 million.

If his contract is bought out, the total cost would be less than $25 million. Gomez would only be paid $6.7 million, and the cap hit around $11.5 million (according to capgeek.com). The Canadiens would then spend the remaining $3.5 million in cap space. The total cost would be roughly $22 million.

All these figures assume that the Canadiens spend to the cap for the next two seasons.
Total cost of sticking him in the minors would be 14.7 mil over 2 years assuming you use 100% of the cap space available. Molson can make that up just with 2 home playoff dates the next 2 years, so just by using taht money to make the playoffs we are actually ahead because it generates positive momentum for the franchise.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:45 AM
bamboo

I don't know why there is so much debate on Gomez, it's pretty simple:

The Canadiens will try very hard to improve the team. If they are able to sign UFA's and/or bring in players via trade that will put them over the cap... Gomez goes to the minors.

If they can't sign the players they want and have room on the cap for Gomez, he stays.

bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:50 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Not necessarily. Best development scenario for Eller is to stay at center - he is surely not a winger. I know many will disagree, but I would try Plekanec on the wing.

Gomez is also a candidate for the wing. And given the choice, I would rather see Gomez than Eller at that position.

Having a center line of: Pleks, DD, Eller and ? won't cut it if we wish to go far in the playoffs.

Bourque - DD - Cole >> if Bourque can't get his wheels running with these guys...he's better off in the AHL

Pacs - Gomez - Gionta >> line would have all the tools to be successful and has been proven in the past

Pleks - Eller - ? >> Add a all-around physical player

Moen - ? - White >> Goeffrion, Blunden, Staubits is above average depth to complement the line

Fill in the question marks and you have yourself a solid team - where Gomez still remains the most questionable player on the roster.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:06 AM
sampollock

cut the loses, he is a lose lose , so good bye

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
I don't know why there is so much debate on Gomez, it's pretty simple:

The Canadiens will try very hard to improve the team. If they are able to sign UFA's and/or bring in players via trade that will put them over the cap... Gomez goes to the minors.

If they can't sign the players they want and have room on the cap for Gomez, he stays.
Wow, the voice of rationality, finally.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:54 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
Lets look at it this way to our friends up in Beautiful "Ville de Quebec" It's not Quebec Cites job to have KLM (As an example) landing everyday! It's Montreal s job! Quebec is beautiful, Montreal is greater, we all fight for Montreal, Let us go! The team is called the Canadians. Not the Quebec'es, let it go & let us do our jobs, Montreal is worth it everyday!
We have multiple international flights to and from Quebec city every day and a plethoria of airlines operate here. Not only is the terminal brand new, the airport should also double in size within a few years.

Not that it matters in a discussion about Gomez anyways...

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:28 AM
THE HOFF

I don't know about you guys, but I find that Gomez has been playing great so far, dont get the hate at all. offer him extensions, now. I say 12m per, for 6 years.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:32 AM
habitue*

yeah... Let's keep gomez and sign Kovy. We love entertainment and controversy.

My first three lines nex year ( with no priority)

Bourque - Gomez - Kovalev

Eller - DD - Cole

MaxPax - Plekky - Gionta

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote