HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

inline for mini-mite OK?

Old
06-10-2012, 11:37 PM
deadphish23

vCash: 500
inline for mini-mite OK?

Does anyone have any strong feelings about a 5-6 year old getting extra skating/playing time in on inlines? We have a really nice outdoor street rink by our house that is pretty much vacant 7 days a week. My son and I go up there to pass and shoot the puck around a bit (me on skates, him on foot), but I am just wondering if this is detrimental to his ice skating development. He is still in the very early stages (just starting to stride with both feet). I'd love to buy him some little inline skates and have him skate with me. Stick and pucks are starting to weigh on the old wallet!

deadphish23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Noir

I don't see what's wrong with it? In fact, I think the additional practice he gets off-ice (with inlines) in conjunction to whatever on-ice training you're planning for him will be nothing but a good thing.

In fact, I've played roller and ice hockey and skating-wise, there's a lot of transferrable skills between them. So transferrable skills in mind, I think its a good thing.

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Ozz

I was average at best when I first played ice. I switched to inline and for whatever reason, be it the new environment, ability to take advantage of different rules, aging, etc. (or if it was bound to happen whether I stayed with ice or not), my talent and abilities blossomed like crazy. It transferred well over to ice.

I can only go by personal experience, and it seemed to be great for me.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:34 AM
deadphish23

Cool. Thanks, guys. I was just worried about inhibiting his skating development, but perhaps at this young age any kind of skating is helpful?

deadphish23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Oak
#1 Hockey Dad

vCash: 50
I was told by coworkers whose sons played AAA growing up that at a young age roller blades are the best thing they can do if they can't get on the ice. I wouldn't hesitate at all.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote