HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WJHC Coming to a Close

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2005, 10:24 PM
flip588

vCash: 500
WJHC Coming to a Close

The World Junior Tournament is coming to an end for Flyers prospects. Although two definite noteables in Jeff Carter (6G, 2A) and Mike Richards (1G, 3A) still have one very important game remaining.

The three Flyers prospects who have completed the tournament are Ruzicka, Romy and Scurko. Their statistics are as follows:

Stefan Ruzicka: 6GP, 3G, 3A, 6PTS, 4PIM, +2
Kevin Romy: 6GP, 3G, 2A, 5PTS, 6PIM, Even
Ladislav Scurko: 6GP, 0G, 0A, 0PTS, 6PIM, -1

Rejean Beauchemin: 1GP, 17 Saves, 1SO (Unlikely to Play Again)

So, although Richards and Carter have yet to complete the tournament, how do you believe our prospects faired in this tournament?

For example, has anyone played above expectations, or below? Who is the 'real deal' and who will have a tough time ever cracking the Flyers roster?

And finally, where, in terms of the quality of our prospects competing this year, do we rank in the NHL?

Old
01-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuzickaFan23
And finally, where, in terms of the quality of our prospects competing this year, do we rank in the NHL?
I can answer all your other questions just by answering this one. IMO, we had far and away the best group of prospects this year out of all of the NHL teams. There's no other team out there that combined quality with quantity better. I think only one team (Rangers) had more players in the tournament than we did, but with the likes of Carter, Richards, Ruzicka, and Romy their prospects weren't nearly as impressive as ours. Ruzicka and Romy were both among the three players chosen from each individual team as their top players for the tournament. Carter should also be named for Canada and Richards while unlikely, could be named as he's been the heart and soul of this Canadian team. There's also only been three hat tricks the entire tournament and the Flyers have the only two players drafted who accomplished the feat.

I don't think anyone played below expectations. Scurko was young playing on a Slovakian team deep with forwards, so I really didn't expect much this year. Next year I definitely expect him to be one of Slovakia's key forwards. Beauchemin outplayed Glass from what I heard and was liked better by Sutter, but others around Hockey Canada have been pressuring him to play Glass.

I expected this result as our 2003 draft is pretty far and away from everyone else's right now in quantity and in depth, IMO.

Old
01-03-2005, 11:40 PM
MojoJojo

Have a good site for statistics from the tourney?

Old
01-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
http://www.iihf.com/hockey/tournam/tournaments.htm#

Click the W20 to the left of W20 A and W20 B

Old
01-04-2005, 12:08 AM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
Beauchemin outplayed Glass from what I heard and was liked better by Sutter, but others around Hockey Canada have been pressuring him to play Glass.
I'm not here to debate your claim, FG. I would, however, like to meet the people that can intimidate any of the Sutter brothers.

Old
01-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
I'm not here to debate your claim, FG. I would, however, like to meet the people that can intimidate any of the Sutter brothers.
I thought the same thing when I read that from a few other people. Supposedly Sutter liked Beauchemin, calling him the likely starter back at the summer camp and feeling the same way before the tournament started (which is why I believe it somewhat, as Sutter did say that publicly during the summer and the Sutters are usually ones to stick to their guns.) Everyone else on the coaching staff and around Team Canada supposedly felt that Glass was the better option. I'm not 100% sure if it's true, as I had the same doubts that you did about Sutter listening to others and not going with his gut, but I heard it from a handful of Canadians who followed Team Canada pretty closely (I think one guy even had some kind of inside info, I'll have to look for it.) Definitely not taking it as the gospel, but not completely dismissing it either.

Old
01-04-2005, 12:37 AM
Winston Wolf

Something about Carter, he is second in the tournament in goalscoring, but he has not gotten any PP time so none of his goals or points have come with the man advantage. You have to think that if Carter is already tied with Crosby (who has 5 PP goals) as the leading goalscorer on Team Canada, that he would probably have at least another couple goals and quite a few more points if he were to get any time on the PP.

It's purely hypothetical, but I'm thinking there's a 98% chance Carter picks up a couple more goals and points playing in front of the net on Canada's PP.

Old
01-04-2005, 01:00 AM
paxtang

Carter has played on the PP, just doesn't have any goals on it.

Old
01-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Carter has played on the PP, just doesn't have any goals on it.
I've listened to most of the games and I haven't really heard Carter get much time on the PP. I'm sure he's gotten the odd shift, but he certainly hasn't gotten anywhere near the time as Crosby.

Old
01-04-2005, 01:32 AM
paxtang

Quote:
I've listened to most of the games and I haven't really heard Carter get much time on the PP. I'm sure he's gotten the odd shift, but he certainly hasn't gotten anywhere near the time as Crosby.
He, Getzlaf, and Dawes have seen quite a fair share of PP time as a unit.

Old
01-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Dizzy

Quote:
I think he's on the second unit, after Crosby's. I know one of his goals came right after an opponent got out of the box, I think it was against Sweden.

Closed Thread