HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question about Tackla models and comparison to other brands

Old
06-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Vuronov

vCash: 500
Question about Tackla models and comparison to other brands

I am currently wearing a pair of Tackla pants (I think 2500s sz 46-48 but the tags are so worn out I can't tell for sure anymore) that I've had for at least 15 years. Except for a very brief time when I first started playing hockey, these are literally the only hockey pants I've ever used. They are actually still holding up fairly well given their age, but the outer shell is starting to really show its age and the inner lining has gotten a bit sketchy as I didn't always do right by them and air them out after playing (ok I rarely did it for a very long time lol).

I am now looking to get a new pair of pants that if my previous luck holds out, might very well be the last pair I ever wear (assuming I don't balloon out significantly as I get older). I like the way my Tacks feel, but plan on trying some other brands just to see how they fit. But assuming I decide to stick with Tacklas, I was hoping for some advice on which model to get.

Looking around online, it seems I can get 1051s, 9000z, 5000x, EXPP 55s, and 951s for the same general price range (+/- $40 it seems). What I was wondering is just what the major differences are between all the different models? Do they fit differently? how does the protection vary between the models? and how do they compare to the top end models of the major NA brands? Has Tackla kept up with the NA brands in technological innovation like moisture resistance, more protection at less weight, etc? Excluding best personal fit, is there any reason to go Tackla over the top end models of NA brands?

From what I've read the 951s seem to be the least protective of the ones listed, more of a mid-tier pant maybe? I think the 5000x are top piece? I'm willing to pay since I plan on wearing these for another decade or more and was eyeing the 1051s as they seem to be the most recent model and "pro level". Are they notable better than the 9000z or 5000x? How would they compare to say the new CCM CL pants or Vapor APXs in features/technology etc?

I'm about 5'6" 145 lbs, waist in jeans 30" and 31" in dress pants (so yea kinda scrawny lol). Play in rec leagues, nothing hardcore, but don't mind getting the extra protection just in case.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post, just wanted to get it all out there and see what people had to say.

TL;DR version: Looking to get new Tackla pants, what's the difference between 1051s, 9000z, 5000x and 951s? Excluding fit, why get Tacklas over say the latest NA brands with her new tech?

Thanks!

Last edited by Vuronov: 06-19-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Vuronov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Don't know a ton about them, but the 5000x are the most protective Tacklas (read: overkill for rec league). The 9000 are highly protective, what I currently wear. Great mobility too.

Advantages of Tackla over other pants are fit, durability, and build quality. They seem to allow greater movement even brand new over other pants. They also seem more solid. Most pants feel like a collection of pads sewn to the nylon but the Tacklas feel like one piece, which I like. And they are pretty bulletproof.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:51 AM
AIREAYE

I noticed that you posted also over at MSH so to avoid repetition, I'll post here.

At your height and weight, I would believe you would fit a 46 (Sr S) rather than a 48. I'm 5'10" 140lb and I need about 1.5" longer than a 46 and fit into 48 as a result.

Most (if not all) Tackla pants have what's called a 'Euro' style fit (Finnish company, see?) which has a closer wrap around the kidneys and hips and a looser, more traditional fit on the thighs and legs. I've found that bulkier guys have difficulty even putting them on! You should be fine.

Tackla is now under Eagle/Vaughan and all of the new Eagle pants are either Tackla rebrands or remakes. Thus in NA AFAIK the only Tackla pants you will be able to find will be old stock. Eagle is a good alternative.

Tackla, like I said before, is very traditional. They won't have any of the fancy tech and materials that the other manufacturers do. What sets them apart, imo, is the quality of their pants and how they're made. They're a very comfortable pant if they fit and have significant padding so protection can easily compete (and even best) with the other manufacturers' top-end stuff. There's a good reason why you can tell that a lot of pro stock pants are similar to Tackla, it's because they should be the benchmark for protection.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote