HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Tips for Interviews.

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2004, 06:36 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

vCash: 500
Tips for Interviews.

Ok I have an important interview on the 31st, so I really want to ensure that I do a good job, and hopefully get one of the available positions. As a result it would be greatly appreciated if the people here would be able to lend me some solid tips as to what to do in an interview, and common mistakes that people make when they are in an interview.

Thanks for taking the time,

B. Fraser.

Old
12-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Verbal Kint*

When in doubt...

Old
12-28-2004, 07:15 PM
jfont

Awards:
off the top of my head...

make sure your answers are all positives...i.e. what are your bad traits, spin something positive about it...

ask about the company...remember, its also them fitting with you also...

12-28-2004, 07:29 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
ask about the company...remember, its also them fitting with you also...
Good advice, and I'd expand on it a bit. Research the company you're interviewing with, whether online or in person with current employees. Prepare a question/remark or two about the company, based on your research --- shows a level of interest in the company beyond just receiving a paycheck.

Also, I'd refrain from saying anything negative about previous employers/work experiences. No matter how legitimate the complaint may be, it always comes off as nothing more than malcontentedness, IMO.

Old
12-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Troy McClure

1. If you don't know something or can't do something, just be honest and say so. Don't BS about that. Some interviewers, especially in technical jobs, will keep asking you about more and more stuff to see if you'll ever admit you don't know something.

2. Ask if they press charges.

3. Don't talk bad about your previous jobs or employers. If you didn't like something, say so, but don't start *****ing.

4. Be calm and confident. Don't act like you're being interrogated. Make it a conversation with you asking questions about the job, your coworkers, your boss, the culture, etc.

5. Don't beg.

Old
12-28-2004, 08:13 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure

2. Ask if they press charges.

... and don't pull a Costanza. Ask beforehand whether they frown on employees having sex on their desks with the cleaning staff.

Old
12-28-2004, 08:21 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Might be good to have a couple questions for them at the end as well. Because really you're interviewing them too, to see if it's somewhere you want to be.

Old
12-28-2004, 09:01 PM
thesiver

^^ Agree, but get a feel for what they want from you and ask questions based on that. It shows you've been listening and are interested.

Also, don't ask about how much you're gonna make or anything like that (very obvious point at that).

Old
12-28-2004, 09:43 PM
bossy22

I hire people from time to time so here are a few pointers.

Be upbeat and positive.

If you claim to have done something or comment that you have a certain trait, skill or characterisitc be damn sure you can provide a specific example of what you are saying.

Dont BS them, they'll know if you are doing it.

Doesn't hurt to comment on their business by letting them know you are aware of their business. Tell them how much their profit was last year, they generated so much in revenues or their main competetors are such and such.

And most importantly dress professionally. Shirt and tie at a minimum and a haircut.

Old
12-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Brewtus the Beerbarian

Do not fart.

Old
12-28-2004, 10:28 PM
handtrick

1] Confidence without cockiness.

2] Good eye contact.

3] Don't figit.

4] Don't try to be someone you are not.

5] Dress professional.

6] Save a good question for the end, in case they ask you if you have any more questions.

7] Firm handshake.

8] Smile and be positive, but don't appear needy.

9] Be ready to answer the two questions, "What is your best attribute" and "What is your worst attribute [or something you would change about yourself]" so you are not caught off-guard if they happen to spring it on you.

Good Luck for someone who has hired many people over the years.

Old
12-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

MAKE SURE YOUR FLY IS UNDONE...YES UNDONE...IT SHOWS CONFIDENCE AND CHARACTER :lol

Old
12-28-2004, 11:12 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Don't whip it out.

12-28-2004, 11:12 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle
MAKE SURE YOUR FLY IS UNDONE...YES UNDONE...IT SHOWS CONFIDENCE AND CHARACTER :lol
Shows a bit more than that.

Old
12-28-2004, 11:46 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
whip it out and put it on the table

Old
12-28-2004, 11:50 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
point to a picture of the person's wife and kids and say "Do you know these ugly people?" then laugh hysterically like it's the funniest thing anyone ever said.

Old
12-28-2004, 11:56 PM
The Rage

I'm actually reading the book "Job Interviews for Dummies" right now, and it seems to have good advice. Regarding the whole "be yourself" thing, it's important to not be fake, but understand that each person has mulitple selves, so to speak. Who you are, and how you act changes depening on whether you are in the company of your girlfriend or your mother. And really, you want to put your best self forward. One important thing--don't initiate the shaking of hands. Donald Trump finds shaking hands unsanitary, and I'm sure they're others like him. In a similiar vein, don't sit until you're told to.

Old
12-29-2004, 12:35 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
my leagcy thread hads a post wwhere i mention interview question tips

Old
12-29-2004, 12:40 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
DONT whip it out...thats my tip

12-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Don't whip it out.
Why not? I've gotten a few jobs like that...

Old
12-29-2004, 08:56 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
9] Be ready to answer the two questions, "What is your best attribute" and "What is your worst attribute [or something you would change about yourself]" so you are not caught off-guard if they happen to spring it on you.
Not to stab you in the back, handtrick, but I hate those questions. They serve no purpose other than to torment the person interviewed and see what crappy, scripted answer they can pump out. To me, they're filler questions that have no bearing on the hiring process. Unless the person says, "My worst attribute is that I can't stop stealing," then all the answers will be pretty much the same.

Hell, I have two answers for that. If I've decided I have no interest in the job and am going through the motions of the interview, I'll say, "My greatest weakness is that sometimes I feel I don't live up to my own expectations." That's a great answer because it's totally useless. Another great one is to say, "Well, my spelling has always been bad, but luckily modern invention has provided me with a spellchecker." Either way, I've given the interviewer nothing of value and have only wasted a minute or so.

Old
12-29-2004, 09:09 AM
wensink

Quote:
Not to stab you in the back, handtrick, but I hate those questions. They serve no purpose other than to torment the person interviewed and see what crappy, scripted answer they can pump out. To me, they're filler questions that have no bearing on the hiring process. Unless the person says, "My worst attribute is that I can't stop stealing," then all the answers will be pretty much the same.

Hell, I have two answers for that. If I've decided I have no interest in the job and am going through the motions of the interview, I'll say, "My greatest weakness is that sometimes I feel I don't live up to my own expectations." That's a great answer because it's totally useless. Another great one is to say, "Well, my spelling has always been bad, but luckily modern invention has provided me with a spellchecker." Either way, I've given the interviewer nothing of value and have only wasted a minute or so.
I agree with you, Troy. But these are very common interview questions.

When I conduct interviews (usually for technical poeple...but it doesn't have to be), I usually will ask something like this.

In your experiences, tell me about a project that you worked on where something went wrong. Tell me what you did to correct it....or something like that.

I try to determine how well someone responds to pressure/failure and their ability to troubleshoot. Sure, it's easy to brag about how great you are (especially snce everyone prepares to do that) but it's another thing when you inquire about their failures.

Here's another suggestion. Do your homework. Find out as much as you can about that company. What it does. Where their offices are. How many employess, etc.

It will not only show that you have an interest in their organization but it can occasionally impress the interviewer.

And whatever you do, get the company name right. I can't tell you how many people come in and can't even spell my company name right on their job application. I had one brain surgeon mis-spell the position title on the application

That's unacceptable and those candidates are usually weeded out very quickly.

Good luck!!

Old
12-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Frightened Inmate #2

Canada Border Services Agency....

I had an interview with them last year (different geographical area), and I was prepared for actual questions, and they pull out role playing scenes on me, and I was just dead in the water and was caught overthinking the answers and what I should do.

Old
12-29-2004, 10:35 AM
handtrick

Quote:

I agree Troy, I hate those questions too. I have never used them on anybody, but have received them before. I think the key is to be ready for it. It is usually used to see how people respond and handle uncomfortable situations.

Old
12-29-2004, 10:40 AM
wensink

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
I agree Troy, I hate those questions too. I have never used them on anybody, but have received them before. I think the key is to be ready for it. It is usually used to see how people respond and handle uncomfortable situations.
Excellent point.

Let's also not forget the dreaded panel interview.

That's where 3 - 5 people who really, really don't want to be there, ask all sorts of ridiculous, unrelated and unnecessary questions to the poor sap.

It's gets even better when the majority have nothing to do with the actual position being interviewed for.

Closed Thread