HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

International rules vs North American

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2004, 04:29 PM
Chris2004

vCash: 500
International rules vs North American

With the current state that the NHL is in, both financially and functionally...

what changes can they make the the actual game?

Are international rules going to increase flow, or create more defensive hockey? (ie. 2 large halves instead of a neutral zone)

In particular, rink size, no touch icing, 2 line pass and delayed offside.

I personally think the delayed offside could dramatically increase the flow of the game. Instead of watching a dman stay in his zone and the subsequent useless whistle, I think that allowing players to clear the zone and resume the attack (or even change lines) would allow teams to roll all their lines for an extended period of time. Could lead to some good exciting hockey.

I have read that even the two line pass system has some major problems with it. Immediately switching over to that system wouldnt be smart, we should try to be creative and adapt that two line pass to north america.

What does everyone think?

Old
12-31-2004, 05:26 PM
Masao

I think they should make it illegal for the goalies to wear goalie equipment. Just have them dressed up as players, with a different colored jersey to identify them.

Old
12-31-2004, 06:39 PM
zecke26

as a season ticket holder of the kassel huskies (DEL) i have to say that no touch icing is really stupid. so please keep the touch-icing in the NHL, it makes the league more interesting. the red line should be erased though, because without 2-line passes the game has more offense and we could see more breakaways.

Old
12-31-2004, 06:43 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26
as a season ticket holder of the kassel huskies (DEL) i have to say that no touch icing is really stupid. so please keep the touch-icing in the NHL, it makes the league more interesting. the red line should be erased though, because without 2-line passes the game has more offense and we could see more breakaways.
I agree. The no touch icing blows. It takes away a certain kind of dynamic to the game, it's hard to put a finger on but it has made the game a little more static I think. I'd like to see that all rules and regulations regarding positions of the lines and so on should be like in they were in the NHL before 1990. However, I'd like to see european rinks get smaller and american ones bigger.

Old
12-31-2004, 06:46 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2004

Are international rules going to increase flow, or create more defensive hockey? (ie. 2 large halves instead of a neutral zone)

I personally think the delayed offside could dramatically increase the flow of the game. Instead of watching a dman stay in his zone and the subsequent useless whistle, I think that allowing players to clear the zone and resume the attack (or even change lines) would allow teams to roll all their lines for an extended period of time. Could lead to some good exciting hockey.

I have read that even the two line pass system has some major problems with it. Immediately switching over to that system wouldnt be smart, we should try to be creative and adapt that two line pass to north america.

What does everyone think?
I would go back to the tag up offsides and get rid of the 2 line pass.... players need more room to pass the puck these days and the elimination of 2 line passes will give more room for the breakout. It also rewards the excellent puckhandling goalies.

So, I guess you can say that I'm on par with Pierre McGuire on this one.

Old
12-31-2004, 06:48 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
I think they should make it illegal for the goalies to wear goalie equipment. Just have them dressed up as players, with a different colored jersey to identify them.
wow, I feel sorried for the poor sap who has to get infront of a Sheldon Souray shot :lol

I hope this is a joke!

Old
12-31-2004, 07:26 PM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
I hope this is a joke!
No, I've never been that serious in my life! Goalies should dress as fowards!

Old
12-31-2004, 08:20 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Do you think a Souray slapper is harder than a Bobby Hull slapper? Goalies were damn near wearing the same equipment as the players back in those days.

12-31-2004, 08:22 PM
kings1993

Make The Rink Wider! That's It. Everyting Will Be Ok.

Old
12-31-2004, 08:35 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

1) split the difference between NHL and International sized width rinks
2) implement no-touch icing - just watch the Don Cherry rant/video and you'll know what I'm talking about
3) get rid of the instigator
4) go back to 1 ref / 2 linesmen ... there are too many ON ICE OFFICIALS - clogging up the ice ... Don 'Vancouver' Massenhoven ... sorry Canuck fans

Old
12-31-2004, 11:41 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2004

Forget the rink size. It's not up for discussion. It's not going to happen, period.

As to your general question, I like many international rules and at this point would prefer them to NHL crappola.

I used to be on the fence about two line passes but I'd like to see it tried at least a year. I think it will work. No touch icing is needed. Both for safety of players and to speed up the game. Most of the chases for the puck are really non-plays. They're not even exciting. It's just wasted seconds.

Abolish hits to the head like what we are seeing at the WJC. You can still hit hard.

As for Seven_Nation_Army's suggestions:

1-No. It's not gonna happen.
2-Yes
3-Holy crap, a resounding yes!
4-No. It's a myth. Refereeing was actually just as crappy before. The pace of the game would make this difficult. One thing they could always do is give more power to the linesmen. But I say stick to the two refs system. Anyone who thinks that these four guys alone can see everything is already fooling themselves. Anyone who thinks cutting back doesn't make it worse needs a reality check. The way to go to improve refereeing is not to impede them. It's to fkick their ass and force them to call the game by the ****ing book. If they call it by the book, it doesn't matter if there is 1, 2 or 20 referees. The game will be consistent.

Suggesting to cut back to 1 ref doesn't actually address any problem. It's just some weak-ass band-aid because we would accept the biased, opinionated and partial refereeing we are living with. We don't have to. **** that.

Old
12-31-2004, 11:43 PM
Russian_fanatic

I'd rather have international rules because:

1)They're safe yet a physical brand of hockey can be played.

2)IT'S EXCITING!

Closed Thread