HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

It would be best for the NHL if Crosby was

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2004, 12:57 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

vCash: 500
IMO, how good he'd do for certain teams:

ANA-He could play with skilled players, and they've got a big fanbase, so yeah, definetely
ATL-They could use him, but if Heatley and Kovalchuk can't bring in fans, chances are Crosby can't either, so no
BOS-Their fanbase is big, so no
BUF-They've got a nice future, and nice present, but they don't have alot of problems in the fan department, so maybe, but i'm leaning towards no
CGY-No, no Canadian team needs Crosby
CAR-He could restructure their fanbase, so yes, but it'd take a while, as they don't have alot of skilled players now
CHI-They could definetely use him to wake a sleeping giant, so yes, but the guys they have should be able to do it down the road anyway
COL-No. They have no problems at all
CBS-They're doing pretty well, but he'd bring in fans from all around Ohio, so maybe
DAL-No. See Colorado
DET-No. See Colorado
EDM-No. See Calgary
FLA-They've got a nice future, and a decent present, so he might bring in fans from all over, so yeah
LA-Yes. He'd be best in either LA or Anaheim IMO
MIN-No. See Colorado
MON-No. See Calgary
NSH-They have a talented team, but no star attraction, so definetely
NJ-If their winning teams can't bring in fans, maybe Crosby can't, but then again, a star attraction might be just what they need to fill the stands, so maybe
NYI-They're not in any troubles, but with a new arena, the Isles could be one of the top teams(in terms of fans and team), so maybe
NYR-It might be better for the NHL in America as a whole, but the Rangers aren't in need of him, so no
OTT-No. See Calgary
PHI-No. See Colorado
PHO-Yeah, because he could probably bring in even more fans, especially with the team they have
PIT-Of course. This could be Mario all over again
SJ-They're a team on the rise, and Crosby could put them over the top, but they're successful as it is, so maybe
STL-They don't have alot of problems, but at the same time, they could use another Bret Hull(in terms of bringing in fans), so maybe
TB-With the team they have, they shouldn't need him, but he'd definetely help, so maybe
TOR-No. See Calgary
VAN-No. See Calgary
WSH-Definetely, as he, with Ovechkin, could turn this team into an elite one

Old
12-30-2004, 01:01 AM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny
Would you care to explain why? Kovalchuk and Heatly both had tremendous starts to there careers there and the fans love them. They are becoming better players by the day in Atlanta, and have a potentially solid team to work with. Crosby would make things better in Atlanta, and bring even more fans in, and make Atlanta a even more hockey crazy town? So what is so bad about "throwing away" Crosby to a future Stanley Cup contender?
Give me a break! Atlanta has had 4 top 2 picks in the last 6 years already. Chicago has never had a top 2 pick in the history of the draft. Atlanta will never be a hockey town because A) the temperature B) the people.

Atlanta has been given far more than what they deserve compared to other teams that have been around a long time. They have 2 franchise players, possibly 3. Having 4 is just bad marketing, especially when the opportunity cost is huge.

Old
12-30-2004, 01:25 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman
I think Washington should be automaticly awarded first overall pick in both 2005 & 2006. That way they can draft both Crosby and Kessel and thus have the top Russian, Canadian and U.S. prospects in their lineup.
Even better, they can pick Crosby and Michael Frolik.

Old
12-30-2004, 01:33 AM
bleedgreen

id like to see a team like edm or cal get him. i know its against the "good of the game" theory some people are saying - but id like to see one of those teams have a guy to keep for a long time and build around. minnesota is a great hockey town as well, and they dont have a guy like that imo, no offense to gaborik who could really use a center. i think a good hockey town like that should get him, id love to see the canes get him or johnson...they really need more high end guys more than just about anyone.

Old
12-30-2004, 02:24 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
A team that is not Florida,Atlanta,Columbus,Pittsburgh and Washington.They've had enough high draft picks.(too many)

Old
12-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Evman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Really.
My hockey education just never stops!

Yesterday I learned what a puck was!

Old
12-30-2004, 07:11 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evman
My hockey education just never stops!

Yesterday I learned what a puck was!
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Old
12-30-2004, 07:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
NYR-It might be better for the NHL in America as a whole, but the Rangers aren't in need of him, so no
The Rangers have not made the playoffs in 7 years. They certainly need a Crosby like player.

There is a fair argument to be made that Crosby in New York may not add that much attraction to the game as the Rangers' fan base is pretty solid as well as the other things in New York that garner more interest than hockey. But the Rangers certainly could use Crosby from an on-ice perspective. Then again, few times couldn't.

Old
12-30-2004, 10:53 AM
thrash27

Out of the teams that could actually get the first pick. I think Crosby should go to the NYR.

Old
12-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
I'd say it would be best for the NHL if Crosby was a girl.

Old
12-30-2004, 11:04 AM
neg marron

oui montreal

Quote:

ANA-He could play with skilled players, and they've got a big fanbase, so yeah, definetely
ATL-They could use him, but if Heatley and Kovalchuk can't bring in fans, chances are Crosby can't either, so no
BOS-Their fanbase is big, so no
BUF-They've got a nice future, and nice present, but they don't have alot of problems in the fan department, so maybe, but i'm leaning towards no
CGY-No, no Canadian team needs Crosby
CAR-He could restructure their fanbase, so yes, but it'd take a while, as they don't have alot of skilled players now
CHI-They could definetely use him to wake a sleeping giant, so yes, but the guys they have should be able to do it down the road anyway
COL-No. They have no problems at all
CBS-They're doing pretty well, but he'd bring in fans from all around Ohio, so maybe
DAL-No. See Colorado
DET-No. See Colorado
EDM-No. See Calgary
FLA-They've got a nice future, and a decent present, so he might bring in fans from all over, so yeah
LA-Yes. He'd be best in either LA or Anaheim IMO
MIN-No. See Colorado
MON-No. See Calgary
NSH-They have a talented team, but no star attraction, so definetely
NJ-If their winning teams can't bring in fans, maybe Crosby can't, but then again, a star attraction might be just what they need to fill the stands, so maybe
NYI-They're not in any troubles, but with a new arena, the Isles could be one of the top teams(in terms of fans and team), so maybe
OTT-No. See Calgary
PHI-No. See Colorado
PHO-Yeah, because he could probably bring in even more fans, especially with the team they have
PIT-Of course. This could be Mario all over again
SJ-They're a team on the rise, and Crosby could put them over the top, but they're successful as it is, so maybe
STL-They don't have alot of problems, but at the same time, they could use another Bret Hull(in terms of bringing in fans), so maybe
TB-With the team they have, they shouldn't need him, but he'd definetely help, so maybe
TOR-No. See Calgary
VAN-No. See Calgary
WSH-Definetely, as he, with Ovechkin, could turn this team into an elite one
montreal or any canadian team would benefit they would sell out especially if he lives up to the hype ditto for the nyr he could really help the game in the usa, pho would be great he'd learn from wayne on a daily basis

Old
12-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

It would be best for the NHL if Sidney Crosby was hispanic and if he got drafted by LA, San Jose or NYR.

Old
12-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Suiteness

Ugh ugh UGH!! Can you seriously imagine Crosby going to NJ or Minnesota? So he can become a 3rd line clutch and grab, puck dumping ******? No thanks.

Old
12-30-2004, 11:14 AM
MLSE

Washington

Ovechkin/Crosby

Old
12-30-2004, 12:26 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Who gives a crap what would attract more casual viewers to the game? The casual viewer can go fall off a cliff for all I care. I don't care if ESPN shows hockey highlights before pro Frisbee highlights or after. I don't care if the NHL is on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPN8. That might make more money for the owners and for the players, but it does precious little for you or me.

I could support Crosby in Chicago, but frankly can't see the point while Wirtz owns the team. The Rangers have had half of the biggest names in hockey at some point during the past decade, and it hasn't boosted hockey's popularity. What might boost hockey's exposure would be if the Rangers would put a quality team on the ice for a change.

Almost all of hockey's non-traditional markets or struggling markets have had, have, or will have star players. No explanation necessary with regards to Tampa, Atlanta, Dallas, Anaheim. Columbus and Florida have budding superstars. Minnesota has budding stars, and isn't a non-traditional market anyway. San Jose isn't a traditional market, but is well-established and successful. Nashville, Phoenix, and Carolina could probably use a big name marketable player.

But I don't really care which franchise would get the biggest off-ice boost from Crosby's presence. If a market needs Sidney Crosby to make people aware of hockey, then hockey probably shouldn't be in that market anyway. I'd like to see Crosby in a market where people love hockey. Any Canadian team, the Rangers, the Bruins, the Blackhawks, the Wild, the Red Wings, the Avalanche, any place where the fans will appreciate it. I'm sick of seeing the game's top young players drafted to markets where nobody cares.

Old
12-30-2004, 02:36 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I'm sick of seeing the game's top young players drafted to markets where nobody cares.
That's only the entire point of the draft.

Good players get drafted by poor markets, which then improve, and become good markets. Half the teams on your "acceptable" list *were* markets where nobody cared in the past.

Old
12-30-2004, 02:40 PM
shayne

The obvious answer is the Canadians!

His father was drafted there, the Habs have the tradition and the history and the have the ownership and management to win championships they need the talent and Sydney is the future of the league.

I would love the Crosby show in Habland!!

Old
12-30-2004, 03:06 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
That's only the entire point of the draft.

Good players get drafted by poor markets, which then improve, and become good markets. Half the teams on your "acceptable" list *were* markets where nobody cared in the past.
I understand that good players get drafted by poor *teams*. I get that. Poor teams and poor markets aren't necessarily the same thing. Of late many of teams also happen to be located in poor markets, and the result has been most of the best young players vanishing into a black hole.

Whether the NHL rewards incompetence too much is another argument, but if I recall correctly, the NBA not only didn't reward new expansion teams with top picks in the draft, they also had a waiting period before new teams could get top picks. As people keep mentioning, the NHL isn't the NBA. Still, maybe there's something to the idea. Sending the marquee players from each draft to the sun-belt for the past 6-7 years hasn't exactly been great for the league's overall image. People keep mentioning how great it would be for the league's profile to have Crosby in New York. Well, having Kovalchuk, Heatley, LeCavalier, Bouwmeester, and players of that stature go to teams with zero profile is the flip side of the argument.

Old
12-30-2004, 03:12 PM
west_coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne
His father was drafted there, the Habs have the tradition and the history and the have the ownership and management to win championships they need the talent and Sydney is the future of the league.

I would love the Crosby show in Habland!!
If Crosby was allowed to go wherever he chose, he would probably chose Montreal. He could sell out arenas, like he's doing and has done before. But face it, any team would kill to have Sidney Crosby, no matter where they are.

Old
12-30-2004, 03:25 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Moose
He would look GREAT in a Kings jersey!

Frolov, Brown, Crosby...

oh lord
Then how would he look in a Atlanta Jersey ...Kovalchuk-Crosby-Heatley...Oh Lord

Old
12-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Steveorama

Naslund...to Crosby...to Bertuzzi...HE SCORES...AND THE CANUCKS WIN THE 2006 STANLEY CUP FINAL!!
Ahhh, the dreams, the dreams...

Old
12-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Mac225

Ideal choice- L.A
My choice- Vancouver but there is no chance in hell that would happen but you can only dream.

Old
12-30-2004, 05:09 PM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:

What?

Their fanbase is big when they make it to the playoffs. Otherwise, thats a pretty cruel joke. I will never respect a team that is seamlessly tied to a marketing campaign from a major motion picture released by Disney. I can only hope and pray to god that they don't make connections between Crosby and the character Charlie Conway from the movie.

As for Columbus, it's the best city in Ohio. They have their own niche as a hockey city despite being dominated by Buckeye Football. All they need is an over-the-top prospect to really put them on the map. They have one of the best arenas in all of pro sports and within a few years they will be contenders. I can see Crosby as a Jacket and I can see him being the cornerstone of the franchise much like Nash has become. That "maybe" should be more of a Yes if you ask me.

I think it's left to be said that Crosby would be best suited in a large media hub. Boston, New York, LA come to mind. Gretzky led the US media hype once he made it into LA

Old
12-31-2004, 01:55 AM
fredez

Crosby will benefit the NHL wherever he goes because he'll sell tickets everywhere he plays.

Why would American teams deserve him more? Is it because they don't follow hockey and prefer basketball, football and baseball? I mean there's half the American teams that don't even deserve to have an NHL team, why would they get Crosby? Last year, the crowd was empty or close in Florida, Anaheim, Carolina, Tampa Bay (except for the Stanley Cup final), Columbus, Nashville and even New Jersey when the Habs played there.

Old
12-31-2004, 01:55 AM
Nimrods Son

killed by Phaneuf

Closed Thread