HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WharnsbyCBC: Alexander Salak on waivers

Old
06-15-2012, 12:33 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
All I'm going to say is that Handzus tearing his ACL was the best thing that happened to our franchise in the past twenty years.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
/\ Could very well be, but it is exceedingly difficult to stereotype goalies. Some are great at 21 and go downhill (Steve Penny) from there while others reach their potential at 30 (Tim Thomas, Dominic Hasek and numerous others) and beyond. I’m hoping that the progress he has made quickly in the last year or so will continue. Anywhooo, the goalie situation in Chicago is a weak point, to put it mildly. Salak had offered a glimmer of hope.

I haven't even seen Hutton in action. Is he an athletic goalie? If yes, he can always improve his technique and positioning.
I don't hope that people are exception to rules like Thomas as he is that 1%, and Hasek won his first Vezina at 28 and the only reason he didn't play sooner is he was sitting behind a future HOF in Belfour.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:52 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
That young goalie gave up a starting job in SEL under the false claim he would be given chance to compete for NHL job

He showed up , Dominated his competition and got screwed over

And Emery was awful this past year ,, One of the worst goalies in NHL
Uhh.. what? Salak got absolutely embarassed in one game against Detroit in the pre-season and other than that was fine but not great. He had to steal the job from Emery and he very simply didn't do taht.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:56 PM
HjamSandwich

Now he will have more time to search for the Great Valley.

HjamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Uhh.. what? Salak got absolutely embarassed in one game against Detroit in the pre-season and other than that was fine but not great. He had to steal the job from Emery and he very simply didn't do taht.
WHAT?

In the game that he got "absolutely embarassed" Salak gave up 3 goals on 33 SA and in a relief appearance for Emery against Pittsburgh gave up 0 goals on 8 shots.

Emery gave up 4 to Edmonton on 24 shots, 4 to Pittsburgh on 19 shots, 3 goals to Pittsburgh on 18 shots.

Salak .926 SV%

Emery .819 SV%

So Salak clearly outplayed Emery but wasn't given the job.

There where 7 pre-season games, Crawford started 3, Emery 3, Salak 1, how is that being given a fair chance to win a job?

Last edited by Sir Psycho T: 06-15-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old
06-15-2012, 01:19 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
WHAT?

In the game that he got "absolutely embarassed" Salak gave up 3 goals on 33 SA and in a relief appearance for Emery against Pittsburgh gave up 0 goals on 8 shots.

Emery gave up 4 to Edmonton on 24 shots, 4 to Pittsburgh on 19 shots, 3 goals to Pittsburgh on 18 shots.

So Salak clearly outplayed Emery but wasn't given a chance.

There where 7 pre-season games, Crawford started 3, Emery 3, Salak 1, how is that being given a fair chance to win a job?
Detroit beat Salak over his glove 4 times in that game.. they hit the post twice. He was embarassed. I remember that game very, very clearly.

Pointing to starts is certainly a cute way of looking back on it.. because I'm positive Emery and Salak both split at least two games.. besides, it makes sense that Emery would play more; he was on a try-out and Chicago wanted to get as many look as possible, fully knowing they had Salak locked up should they decide to release Emery.

Going into the camp, every fan knew Salak would have to badly outplay Emery and he did not. You can say he dominated, you can say this or that.. he didn't. He simply didn't. Emery was signed and Salak went and pouted the rest of the year, like a professional.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:28 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

BTW, where are you getting your stats from? The boxscores on the Blackhawks site aren't showing the results anymore and NHL.com pre-season stats don't list Salak or Emery.

Old
06-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
BTW, where are you getting your stats from? The boxscores on the Blackhawks site aren't showing the results anymore and NHL.com pre-season stats don't list Salak or Emery.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400057709

You can find others via this link...takes a bit of playing around using next 7 days, previous 7 days, etc.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/schedule/_/date/20110919

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:05 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
WHAT?

Salak .926 SV%

Emery .819 SV%

So Salak clearly outplayed Emery but wasn't given the job.

Stats donít tell the story here. Emery wasnít great in pre-season, nor were Salak and Crawford Ö but certainly Salak had to win that back-up job, and he failed to do it. Q already knew what Emery could do in the NHL and Iím certain that if Salak had kept his head on straight and just played in the Rock, he would have been called up if he deserved it. Instead, by the reports we read, he apparently had attitude after the demotion and his injury all but ended it for him. Too bad. It sounds like he thought that his signature on a contract and his past record was all it took to be handed the back-up job.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
That young goalie gave up a starting job in SEL under the false claim he would be given chance to compete for NHL job

He showed up , Dominated his competition and got screwed over

And Emery was awful this past year ,, One of the worst goalies in NHL
Who cares what he gave up over seas. Look at Jacob Markstrom...the guy should be in the NHL but he's paying his dues in the AHL even though he is far better than Clemmenson. You don't see him pouting his way back to Sweden.

He showed up, but didn't dominate at all, and was maybe slightly better than Emery in the pre-season.

Emery wasn't awful, he won far more games than he lost as the back up....and even if he was one of the worst goalies in the NHL, Salak was one of the worst goalies in the AHL!!!

Good riddence to this head case!

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:10 PM
BobbyJet

I won’t be at all surprised that Stan goes and signs a UFA goalie from a rather sparse looking list. Which one, is anyones guess. I suppose acquiring a goalie through a trade is another option he will consider. GULP!

Old
06-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HjamSandwich View Post
Now he will have more time to search for the Great Valley.
Hopefully he still has that tree star his mom gave him.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Hutton was the Hogs MVP, right?
we signed Simpson and Carruth to their ELCs, right?
we still have Richards for 1 more year, right?

We have 4 Spots in the minors with 2x AHL & 2x ECHL, right?

where does Salak fit?

Hutton outplayed him and will be the AHL starter. Simpson and Carruth will battle it out and the winner will get the backup spot. The other will get ECHL starts with Richards as his backup.

Salak refused to battle for his spot after being sent down. He hated it but still should have shown more professionality

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
unbridledid

The year was up and down for Salak once he was sent to Rockford before the beginning of the season. He dropped his first three starts with the club before getting his first victory with the team on November 9th in Grand Rapids. He also missed some time with the club in late October due to his wife giving birth to their first child. Then there was the 7-6 overtime loss on November 11th in Peoria when the 6-foot-1, 189 pound netminder threw his stick at the ref after he was interfered with on the game-winning goal. Not long after that, Salak missed just over two months after he was injured on December 2nd in a home game against Lake Erie with a lower body injury.

During Salak’s absence, Hutton had solidly taken over the reins as the No. 1 goaltender as the team made a push for the playoffs. Salak made his return in a 2-1 win over Things took another tumble for the Czech Republic native when he pulled himself out of a game in mid-February in Hamilton after giving up three goals in 38 seconds late in the 3rd period. the Wolves on February 10th.The team had been up 2-1 with under four minutes to play, but dropped the decision 5-2. Consequently, Salak didn’t see much ice time down the stretch. His last start of the year on April 13th against Milwaukee went very well as he backstopped Rockford to a 2-1 shootout win, where he stopped 15 of 16 shots and four of the five Admirals shooters in the skills competition.

Don't need the guy and his lack of composure...

unbridledid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:20 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
I wonít be at all surprised that Stan goes and signs a UFA goalie from a rather sparse looking list. Which one, is anyones guess. I suppose acquiring a goalie through a trade is another option he will consider. GULP!
I will. Emery was loved and revered as a an elite backup and you all got what you wanted, thanks Hawks fans, another year of ******* at double the price without an undisbuted No. 1 on the roster.

Salak, I don't agree with his handling of the situation after the preseason but I understand it. He won the job but was not given his prize. He had a lot of things going against him, new country, new baby, injuries. Not an excuse but waiving him better be only because he is going back to Europe.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 08:36 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I will. Emery was loved and revered as a an elite backup and you all got what you wanted, thanks Hawks fans, another year of ******* at double the price without an undisbuted No. 1 on the roster.

Salak, I don't agree with his handling of the situation after the preseason but I understand it. He won the job but was not given his prize. He had a lot of things going against him, new country, new baby, injuries. Not an excuse but waiving him better be only because he is going back to Europe.

Give us a break, will ya please. You were dead wrong about the 2 goalies .. be a man and admit it ... but I suppose it's too late for you to backtrack now after all that venom ... that not surprisingly continues.
No one has expressed "love" for Emery, as you put it, but he was obviously a better choice than Salak.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:42 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Give us a break, will ya please. You were dead wrong about the 2 goalies .. be a man and admit it ... but I suppose it's too late for you to backtrack now after all that venom ... that not surprisingly continues.
No one has expressed "love" for Emery, as you put it, but he was obviously a better choice than Salak.
We got nothing out of the battle of Emery vs. Salak, I'm indifferent about the competition, like I said, Salak didn't earn another chance. Salak wins a Vezina, am I wrong then? I'm neither because neither is a solution for next year at starter or backup, that much we can all agree on.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:54 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
We got nothing out of the battle of Emery vs. Salak, I'm indifferent about the competition, like I said, Salak didn't earn another chance. Salak wins a Vezina, am I wrong then? I'm neither because neither is a solution for next year at starter or backup, that much we can all agree on.
I am more concerned about Crawford as a starter. Very concerned. Emery is an adequate back up, and he outplayed Crawford last season.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:49 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
I am more concerned about Crawford as a starter. Very concerned. Emery is an adequate back up, and he outplayed Crawford last season.
I disagree but regardless...outplaying Crawford last year, is that the standard for getting an extension here?

Old
06-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
No he isn't and no he didn't.

Crawford had a better SV%, GAA, and winning percentage.

An adequate back-up doesn't have the 5th worst SV% in the NHL, he doesn't have 9th worst GAA in the NHL and he doesn't have a below .500 on a playoff team.

That being said neither of our goalies should have their roles, Crawford should be a #2 and Emery should be an emergency #3 as both are goalies are terrible.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:00 PM
coldsteelonice84

Yep, spot on critique.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:17 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
No he isn't and no he didn't.

Crawford had a better SV%, GAA, and winning percentage.

An adequate back-up doesn't have the 5th worst SV% in the NHL, he doesn't have 9th worst GAA in the NHL and he doesn't have a below .500 on a playoff team.

That being said neither of our goalies should have their roles, Crawford should be a #2 and Emery should be an emergency #3 as both are goalies are terrible.
Better check your stats. Though I agree both aren't very good, Emery (15-9-4) did not get chance after chance that Q gave CC repeatedly, despite CC's ineptness all season long.

CC was .903 (.893 in playoffs) and Emery was .900. Now tell me, who did their respective jobs?

Old
06-15-2012, 10:26 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
I disagree but regardless...outplaying Crawford last year, is that the standard for getting an extension here?
Seems so. I think we agree to a large extent about the goaltending situation. It's your constant slagging of Emery that began before he played a single exhibition game in a Hawk uniforrm that gets me going.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Better check your stats. Though I agree both aren't very good, Emery (15-9-4) did not get chance after chance that Q gave CC repeatedly, despite CC's ineptness all season long.

CC was .903 (.893 in playoffs) and Emery was .900. Now tell me, who did their respective jobs?
Neither, I am not defending CC here at all, I want this team to get a real #1, but Emery didn't play lights out and deserve more playing time. Plus CC was the starter he will always be given more chances then the back-up, it's why Q took so damn long to give Niemi the job in 2010 despite him clearly outplaying Huet, in this case Emery wasn't clearly outplaying anyone.

Old
06-16-2012, 02:36 AM
HjamSandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Hopefully he still has that tree star his mom gave him.
I am shocked someone understood that.

HjamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote