HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE OT THREAD - Lockout edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 03:48 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
So they still have a Klondike Mike statue at whatever you want to call this festival, but they didn't want to call it Klondike days/K-days anymore?

Old
07-26-2012, 02:56 AM
Smyth94
RIP kristians pelss

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Smyth94
not sure if this is right area but i run a sim league and the oilers are open i could post there roster in here or so it's an ehm league

Old
07-29-2012, 03:38 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So they still have a Klondike Mike statue at whatever you want to call this festival, but they didn't want to call it Klondike days/K-days anymore?
Check it out

Quote:
And the new name of our summer fair is KDays!!
https://twitter.com/Northlands/statu...72521715310592

Old
07-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Never stopped calling it KDays. lol.

Old
07-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Generic name for a generic city?

Old
07-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
And the new name of our summer fair is KDays!!
Heh."New".

Old
07-29-2012, 05:22 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

I never got why anybody gave a **** about the name.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
The name lasted a lot longer than the theme. When I was a kid there were lots of events around the city with the Klondike Days theme. It was a much bigger deal.

Old
07-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
The name lasted a lot longer than the theme. When I was a kid there were lots of events around the city with the Klondike Days theme. It was a much bigger deal.
Yeah....and at least Kdays HAD a theme. There is absolutely nothing themeatic about Capital Ex. Or maybe it's within the name? After all, when you enter the gates, any capital you had in your bank account quickly becomes Ex capotal after buying a couple of bottles of water and a greasy hot dog for $12.

Although I didn't really care about the "Klondike" stuff, it was kinda nice to go to the Klondike Saloon and be served by someone in full apparel..I think they had an old school fiddle player or something as well.

Old
07-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Because without an iconic name/one that includes "Edmonton", it will not be a tourist destination.

"K-Days-- what the hell does that even mean?!", thinks a non-Edmontonian.

By the way, it is not named "Klondike Days" anymore. Simply "K-Days".

Boring.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:32 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Because without an iconic name/one that includes "Edmonton", it will not be a tourist destination.
It's a travelling carnival.

Not going to be a tourist destination for anyone south of Red Deer or out of province.

Old
07-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Fourier

Quote:
It's a travelling carnival.

Not going to be a tourist destination for anyone south of Red Deer or out of province.
At one time it was. You would be surpirsed at what people will travel to see. I was up in Collingwood Ont. this weekend for their annual Elvis festival. This might be the goofiest idea around but it was to my surprise a fantastic event. And there were many people there from all over North America and even some from Europe.

http://collingwoodelvisfestival.com/2011/media/

Old
07-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
At one time it was. You would be surpirsed at what people will travel to see. I was up in Collingwood Ont. this weekend for their annual Elvis festival. This might be the goofiest idea around but it was to my surprise a fantastic event. And there were many people there from all over North America and even some from Europe.

http://collingwoodelvisfestival.com/2011/media/
But that's the problem. It's an event hosted by Northlands that again is on a steady and being turned to crap. Northlands doesn't know how to do much in this city anymore because they have been coddled by government dollars for so long with no competition. Now their Capital Ex/KDays bs is pretty much an 8th rate festival during the summer time when it comes to festivals in this city over the summer.

However the best part of KDays/Capital Ex is when it's over because that means one of the best festivals of the summer is right around the corner.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:56 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I never really cared about the name, just seemed like a major waste of time and money to re-brand something that no one wanted to see in the first place.

Major fail by Northlands allowing this to go back to the name K-Days. Makes them look extra smart today.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:58 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
But that's the problem. It's an event hosted by Northlands that again is on a steady and being turned to crap. Northlands doesn't know how to do much in this city anymore because they have been coddled by government dollars for so long with no competition. Now their Capital Ex/KDays bs is pretty much an 8th rate festival during the summer time when it comes to festivals in this city over the summer.

However the best part of KDays/Capital Ex is when it's over because that means one of the best festivals of the summer is right around the corner.
Doesn't K-Days have the most people showing up? Can't see how it would be 8th.

What's coming up?

Old
07-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:

What's coming up?
I'm going to guess Reimer's talking about Heritage Festival this weekend.

Or BVJ

Old
07-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Skm

Quote:
I never really cared about the name, just seemed like a major waste of time and money to re-brand something that no one wanted to see in the first place.

Major fail by Northlands allowing this to go back to the name K-Days. Makes them look extra smart today.
Yeah and as it's been mentioned, it technically doesn't stand for Klondike Days (something about copyright or ownership?) so it's about as meaningless as "Capital Ex".

I wish that "River City Exhibition" would have won but meh, I didn't go this year anyway.

Stampede is much better because it has a theme (also because of the actual rodeo events). People like to get dressed up (plaid shirts, cowboy hats) for that kind of stuff.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:10 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
I'm going to guess Reimer's talking about Heritage Festival this weekend.

Or BVJ
Honestly I don't get a lot of weekends off so when I do I'm not in the City. Couldn't tell you when something is happening. I do know that Mill Woods Town Center has a fair every long weekend though

Speaking of which I wonder if this is the long weekend that they shut the roads down.
Quote:
Yeah and as it's been mentioned, it technically doesn't stand for Klondike Days (something about copyright or ownership?) so it's about as meaningless as "Capital Ex".

I wish that "River City Exhibition" would have won but meh, I didn't go this year anyway.

Stampede is much better because it has a theme (also because of the actual rodeo events). People like to get dressed up (plaid shirts, cowboy hats) for that kind of stuff.
It's meaningless, but at least people don't make fun of the name.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

What's coming up?
I'm talking in terms of an actually well run festival and worth a persons time in going to. Just because Crapital Ex brings out the best of Edmonton doesn't mean it's the best festival of the summer.

Yes what Skm said, heritage fest continues to be one of the best festivals to attend during the summer months. Usually that and the Fringe are easily the best two festivals this city has. I've never been to it but I've heard great things about Folk Fest as well.

Last edited by Reimer: 07-30-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old
07-30-2012, 10:52 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I'm talking in terms of an actually well run festival and worth a persons time in going to. Just because Crapital Ex brings out the best of Edmonton doesn't mean it's the best festival of the summer.

Yes what Skm said, heritage fest contionues to be one of the best festivals to attend during the summer months. Usually that and the Fringe are easily the best two festivals this city has. I've never been to it but I've heard great things about Folk Fest as well.
Well how the heck do you measure a well run festival?

I always thought the Heritage festival was a waste being on a long weekend, but that's just because I like to camp and fish.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

Ahh you're one of them folks that's get led astray into believing that Stampede is a much better festival. Unless you have tickets to the rodeo the Stampede is a joke. It's the exact same **** that comes here except you have hundreds of fake cowboys that show up. You can tell they all just went to Lamleys and dropped $500 bucks on "Western Wear" and then they will only wear those clothes while the Stampede is on and then do it all again the next year.

Honestly unless you have tickets to the rodeo and what not it's the exact same load of crap. The themes honestly don't help these travelling carnies.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Well Joe the first step in finding a well run festival in is this city is finding something that isn't run by Northlands.

The second step is looking for a festival that doesn't draw out all the grub and trash in the city of Edmonton.

Also I used to think the same thing about Heritage fest until I actually attended it. After I went once I haven't gone camping on August long for the past 5 years now. It really is a win-win. Great festival, and you don't have to put up with all the campers during one of the bussiest camping weekends of the summer. Instead just go camping another weekend like the one prior to or after the long weekend.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Skm

Quote:
Ahh you're one of them folks that's get led astray into believing that Stampede is a much better festival. Unless you have tickets to the rodeo the Stampede is a joke. It's the exact same **** that comes here except you have hundreds of fake cowboys that show up. You can tell they all just went to Lamleys and dropped $500 bucks on "Western Wear" and then they will only wear those clothes while the Stampede is on and then do it all again the next year.

Honestly unless you have tickets to the rodeo and what not it's the exact same load of crap. The themes honestly don't help these travelling carnies.
Nah, I know the Stampede is pretty much the exact same thing but I still think it's more fun.

I've been the past couple years with my friends and it seems like the whole city is in good spirits and down to have a good time. Could be just the fact that it's an excuse to take a road trip and wear a plaid shirt and eat and drink but I still find the atmosphere of the Stampede a lot more enjoyable than Capital Ex (I mean including downtown and surrounding area, because yeah the actual fair grounds are just as greasy).

We also went to a couple of rodeo events while we were there and it was a lot cooler than anything offered during our ex.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:07 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Well Joe the first step in finding a well run festival in is this city is finding something that isn't run by Northlands.

The second step is looking for a festival that doesn't draw out all the grub and trash in the city of Edmonton.

Also I used to think the same thing about Heritage fest until I actually attended it. After I went once I haven't gone camping on August long for the past 5 years now. It really is a win-win. Great festival, and you don't have to put up with all the campers during one of the bussiest camping weekends of the summer. Instead just go camping another weekend like the one prior to or after the long weekend.
I camp where normal folks don't go, so I'm good.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I camp where normal folks don't go, so I'm good.
Do you also travel on roads that normal folks don't use? To me the drive is more annoying than having an actual packed campground.

Closed Thread