HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE OT THREAD - Lockout edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2012, 11:40 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Not sure if this is where I should put this...Feel free to move it.

MINOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

I'm not the best at MSPaint but I saw this comic and thought I'd modify it a bit. Original: @NFL_Memes http://media.lockerdome.com/uploads/...4dece77c_large

Old
08-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

vCash: 500
Zing!

Old
08-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Temaire

I'm returning to the UoA this Fall, but I want to drive rather than take the bus. Is it possible to park and ride at Southgate?

Old
08-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Philly85
Moody'

No but at Heritage aka Century Park it is.

Old
08-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Yeah Southgate is a huge no for park and ride. They watch like hawks there and hand out several tickets a d a day. But as the poster below said you would be able to park and ride at century park. You could also likely park in the residential around Belgravia and walk to that LRT station but that area likely fills up first and quickly during school season.

Man it has been ages since I've been to Grant Mac or UofA, glad to be done school and post post secondary stuff as well.

Old
08-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Temaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah Southgate is a huge no for park and ride. They watch like hawks there and hand out several tickets a d a day. But as the poster below said you would be able to park and ride at century park. You could also likely park in the residential around Belgravia and walk to that LRT station but that area likely fills up first and quickly during school season.

Man it has been ages since I've been to Grant Mac or UofA, glad to be done school and post post secondary stuff as well.
Century Park is a great idea and I'll probably park there.

However, I'm curious about parking at Belgravia. What area exactly do you recommend? I'm looking at 114 St and 76 Ave on Google Maps, but don't really see any convenient parking areas. Do you mean I could park by the curb anywhere?

Old
08-05-2012, 10:51 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

That VW commercial with the little girl kicking the seat doesn't make any sense to me.

My mother would have left me on the side of the road.

Old
08-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Hey guys, I need some input..although I've probably made up my mind about something and not allot would change it anyways.

I've got, by my daughter's count, 4 baby rabbits in the backyard making (I think) a nest/burrow under my chimney (there's already a space at the bottom of that part of the house.) I first noticed one yesterday when I went out and it bolted from my lettuce patch. Scared the **** out of me at first because usually we have to deal with mice, and that would've been a pretty big mouse.

Since the lettuce is pretty much past it's due date, I figured I may as well leave it for the rabbit to feast on before the winter. Now it seems he's brought the whole gang, although I haven't seen any graffiti yet.

Do you think I should just let them hang around? That's most likely what I'll do, as its not like they really bother anyone anyways, and they're cute. I figure they'll move on once the "crops" are done, but who knows. We don't have a dog anymore, so they're safe in that regard as well.

What do you think?

Old
08-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Dave

A woman I work with was in the same boat last summer. A rabbit had a litter(?) in her backyard. She fed them for a short while, and guess what, they wouldn't leave. Sure enough she could've just moved them somewhere, stopped feeding them, brought them to the humane society. But, she didn't, and ended up with ~5 new rabbit pets in her home.

My advice, keep one for your kids (if they want one), maybe. Otherwise, get rid of them. Put them in a box and put them in a ravine, or call the humane society and see if they'll take them.

They eat a lot, multiply fast, and make a mess.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Need advice on highend imports

so, my taste in cars has changed away from the sexy sport's car or pick up, towards a classy european import. And, I'm finally getting to the stage where I could afford a BMW, Mercedes or Audi (not brand new, however).

so, some advice would be apprecited from from fellow posters. I've heard Beamers are bad in the winter. And what about service? $600 for an oil change is nuts and might be the final nail that makes me go domestic (or wait for the Chinese BMW knockoff that is supposed to be just around the corner).

Old
08-06-2012, 11:13 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Are you looking at like an M3 or something a little less powerful? I've heard good things about the awd BMWs and bad things about Audi's system in winter

Old
08-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Audi is the way to go.
Great reliability, safety and looks all in one.

Oilchanges are expensive $130ish, fuel will have to be Primeum (91) but it has been worth it for me.

But a used A6 with dealership warranty and you are set.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Stoneman89

Wife has a beamer, daughter has an Audi. Both are incredibly dependable and an absolute joy to drive. Can't speak for wife's beamer in the winter, as it is a sports car, and gets put away before the weather gets nasty. But the Audi is unbelievable in the winter. My parents used to have a Mercedes, and it was garbage in the winter.

My advice. Get an Audi and don't look back.

Old
08-06-2012, 12:30 PM
viran45

Depends on what you are looking for. I work for volkswagen.VW's and Audis are fine in the winter. Let me know if you have any more questions on vw or audis

Old
08-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Baby Nilsson

If it was up to me, I'd get the Jag XF-R.

Old
08-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
A woman I work with was in the same boat last summer. A rabbit had a litter(?) in her backyard. She fed them for a short while, and guess what, they wouldn't leave. Sure enough she could've just moved them somewhere, stopped feeding them, brought them to the humane society. But, she didn't, and ended up with ~5 new rabbit pets in her home.

My advice, keep one for your kids (if they want one), maybe. Otherwise, get rid of them. Put them in a box and put them in a ravine, or call the humane society and see if they'll take them.

They eat a lot, multiply fast, and make a mess.
Yeah..I'll survey the situation for a bit, but I'm pretty sure I'll call the humane society or something if they hang around too long.

Thanks for the input.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:21 PM
zeus3007*

Stay away from the English imports. Mini's are reliable summer cars, but really not designed for snow drifts, Land Rover's and Jag's aren't reliable at all. Unless you can afford an Aston-Martin, go with Audi or Mercedes (I prefer Audi), or VW if you're on a budget.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Mr Sakich

I am a BMW guy because my job required me to travel. I put 300,000 miles on a 318i and still have it. A very reliable car. I replaced it with a newer 525 and it has been a rock. I spend almost nothing on repairs, just routine maintanence. Brakes are the most common job but that could be my driving style.

My wife's X5 is a completely different story. We consider it a moral victory if we can go an entire tank of gas without something new breaking.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:05 PM
MoneyGuy

I talked to a BMW mechanic once who said he wouldn't buy one. If it was me, I'd buy one of the high-end Hondas or Toyotas, maybe an Acura. Those are well-built cars.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Stay away from the English imports. Mini's are reliable summer cars, but really not designed for snow drifts, Land Rover's and Jag's aren't reliable at all. Unless you can afford an Aston-Martin, go with Audi or Mercedes (I prefer Audi), or VW if you're on a budget.
Your assessment about Jags was true about 10 years ago.. Since the Tata take over they have been much better. As long as you maintain your car how it's supposed to be maintained, you shouldn't have a problem.

And Aston Martins are high maintenance vehicles..

Old
08-06-2012, 03:41 PM
rookie boy

I was looking at Audi myself, but might wait to see the new 2013 Mkz in person, I think this is a beautiful car and might be better bang for buck than Audi.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/04/2...2012-new-york/

Old
08-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
Your assessment about Jags was true about 10 years ago.. Since the Tata take over they have been much better. As long as you maintain your car how it's supposed to be maintained, you shouldn't have a problem.

And Aston Martins are high maintenance vehicles..
My Aston Martin is a pain for Oil Changes, since it must be done in Calgary to maintain the warranty ... which is an extra cost to ship it there. The cost for the actual oil change / maintenance is the same for the Jag XKR. Both are quite reliable vehicles, though they don't get many miles.

Most expensive, high-maintenance, in-the-shop vehicle -> Range Rover.

Old
08-06-2012, 04:17 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
If you're the Premier you should try to get a Hydrogen 7...I'm sure that would go over well.

Old
08-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
My Aston Martin is a pain for Oil Changes, since it must be done in Calgary to maintain the warranty ... which is an extra cost to ship it there. The cost for the actual oil change / maintenance is the same for the Jag XKR. Both are quite reliable vehicles, though they don't get many miles.

Most expensive, high-maintenance, in-the-shop vehicle -> Range Rover.
Wow that sucks lol..

I had the impression that more things would go wrong with the Aston as a high end sports car.. do you DD your car?

Old
08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
SilverHaireDevil

For winter driving it is more about a high quality snow/ice tire than it is about the manufacturer of your vehicle. (Studded tires being the absolute kings of the road in winter)

A decent amount of ground clearance is also important for those pesky snow drifts.

Closed Thread